View Full Version : Which one famous skater would you love to be in a Skating Club with and why?

FSWer
06-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Ok kids!!! Hee's something I know we've never talked about. Which one famous skater would you love to be in a Skating Club with...and why? For me...I would love to be in Kimmie Meissner's Club with her...and here's why. I know she would be able to help me with Skating. As she's very nice. I also know she'd be easy to get along with. It also would be cool to se her. As she's one of my fav. skaters. Ok Kids.....GO!!!!

backscratch
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Kid.. you said what now? :x

Anyways, :P, I think it would be awesome to have Sasha Cohen in my skate club because she is an awesome skater, and she might be able to give me a few pointers. :mrgreen:

FSWer
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Kid.. you said what now? :x

Anyways, :P, I think it would be awesome to have Sasha Cohen in my skate club because she is an awesome skater, and she might be able to give me a few pointers. :mrgreen:

LOL,I mean which club of which famous skater would you would you want to be in? For ex. Like I said I'd love to be with Kimmie in her Skating Club.

Mrs Redboots
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not a kid, and I already train alongside skaters who are famous in this country - and alongside skaters who have been in television advertisements..... Whenever 2loop2loop and his partner have been skating today, we've been going "There's that couple off the telly, you know!" which is What One Says when we see them....

techskater
06-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I am also not a kid and skate with several skaters who have been to Worlds representing Greece, Turkey, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Jr Worlds/JGP representing the US.

Casey
06-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd love to skate with Evan Lysacek, because he's a really inspiring skater and I feel like we could have a lot of fun skating. I also feel like I understand him better than a lot of other skaters, and we have similar spirits.

Sometimes I have dreams about being really really good (hah!) and being able to compete with such world-class people, and it would all be really fun because we'd all get along and after the competition, go out and hang out together and stuff. :) Of course the winner would have to buy everyone else dinner and pay for everything, but he wouldn't mind because of the big gold medal he just won. :D

Nancy
06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I (also not a kid) am in the same club as Evan although he doesn't skate locally anymore, other than guest appearances from time to time. I did share ice with him in his early skating years (roughly Juv thru Novice, I think?) It was obvious right from the start he was something special.

TiggerTooSkates
06-08-2008, 12:25 AM
In defense of the OP - I'm not a kid either (but if you ask my 73 year old mother or my fifty-something brothers - not to mention my 45 year old sister - they'll certainly dispute my own opinions on the subject :oops::D) but I'm thinking that it's meant as just a word, as in - "okay, people" - I believe the usage is an attempt at being lighthearted and not meant to insinuate that any of us are children and is not meant in the pejorative. I don't think the point was to offend - but it seems as though the OP (not sure if they're male or female) may have inadverdantly done just that.

That said - I'm having a hard time picking a famous skater...I'll come back to this...:mrgreen:

Mel On Ice
06-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't wonder if I'd be too distracted skating with a famous elite, although I do train alongside some very competitive senior ladies and some fabulous adult national medalists. I'm pretty happy where I am. Only thing I'd change is affordable ice time at a time of day that is more convenient.

TiggerTooSkates
06-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Ah - famous skater. I think I have to agree with Mel On Ice - I'd probably find it too distracting.

And maybe even a bit disheartening. (sigh)

And probably completely UNAFFORDABLE. ;)

jazzpants
06-08-2008, 11:19 PM
LOL,I mean which club of which famous skater would you would you want to be in? For ex. Like I said I'd love to be with Kimmie in her Skating Club.Dana, one more thing you should know... joining the same skating club as someone famous does NOT necesssarily mean that you'll be training in the same skating rink as them. Case in point... I don't think Johnny Weir skates at the same rink as where his skating club, the Skating Club of New York, has their club sessions. If I recall correctly, he's training at Wayne, NJ and the North New Jersey Skating Club has their club ice session there.

Other thing to keep in mind... it's not just the skating club that makes an elite skater... it's that plus a good dozen combination of other factors (skater, coach, skating club, time, money, physical ability) that makes an elite skater.

Just food for thought... ;)

That said, I'm not sure I would want an elite skater there for long periods of time. I mean, we already have Boitano at our rink and I'm happy for it. And I do welcome the occasional other elite skaters (most recently it's been Ryan Bradley and Alissa Czisny) that come and visit for a couple of weeks. But to ALWAYS train with them on the same ice? I mean, geez! We don't even have high/low freestyle sessions... never mind separate freestyle sessions from ice dancing sessions. 8O

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
We do train on the same ice as elite skaters, and learn a very great deal just watching them!

But after the Mountain Cup I have to say I'd love to train with Don Jackson and with the Ice Theatre of New York teachers.... both totally awesome and all such nice people!

Rusty Blades
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Well I am at least 2 generations (nearly 3!) away from being a "kid" but I am not dead yet! I woud LOVE to be in the same club as Elvis Stojko - of course I would need a good supply of towels for the drool! 8O

But, if I was at the same club as Stojko, that would be Mariposa where most of Canada's high level competitors train and there is no way in Hades they would ever let me on the ice with skaters of that caliber! (They probably wouldn't even let me in the building without hobbles and handcuffs!)

I think it would all be terribly disheartening anyway, seeing people like that do stuff that I will NEVER do!

singerskates
06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Well I am at least 2 generations (nearly 3!) away from being a "kid" but I am not dead yet! I woud LOVE to be in the same club as Elvis Stojko - of course I would need a good supply of towels for the drool! 8O

But, if I was at the same club as Stojko, that would be Mariposa where most of Canada's high level competitors train and there is no way in Hades they would ever let me on the ice with skaters of that caliber! (They probably wouldn't even let me in the building without hobbles and handcuffs!)

I think it would all be terribly disheartening anyway, seeing people like that do stuff that I will NEVER do!

RB, you kill me. ROTFLOL drool over Stojko. Not to worry, Elvis doesn't skate anymore. Good thing you're in Manatoba. LOL

As for me, I did love Elvis' skating. A matter a fact, it was Elvis Stojko who turned me on to watching skating with his skate at the 94 Olympics. And then it was Elvis who inspired me to try to skate for myself. As for who I'd love to share the ice with? I'd have to pick both Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette. Jeff because we're already friends and I'd love to see how he gets into those amazingly centred terrific twisty spins of his. Joannie because I love her graceful style and I'd want to keep up the pep talk with her to have her believe in herself to stop the self doubt. Of course, I need the same pep talk because if I'd trust myself, I'd have all my jumps and spins back from before the spring 2005 mid back disc and shoulder injuries.

It's more possible to have Jeff as a coach of mine than to be skating on his session ice. Also, he skates so fast that I'd be getting wip lash just trying to make sure, I stay out of his way if I were skating on the same ice. ROTFLOL

Nope, none of the above will ever happen. Maybe, I might be lucky to do an on ice skating clinic that Jeff is part of but that's it.

singerskates
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM

RB, you kill me. ROTFLOL "drool over Stojko". Not to worry, Elvis doesn't skate anymore. Good thing you're in Manatoba. LOL

As for me, I did love Elvis' skating. A matter a fact, it was Elvis Stojko who turned me on to watching skating with his skate at the 94 Olympics. And then it was Elvis who inspired me to try to skate for myself. As for who I'd love to share the ice with? I'd have to pick both Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette. Jeff because we're already friends and I'd love to see how he gets into those amazingly centred terrific twisty spins of his, so that I can finally figure them out for myself. Joannie because I love her graceful style.

It's more possible to have Jeff as a coach of mine than to be skating on his session ice. Also, he skates so fast that I'd be getting wip lash just trying to make sure I stay out of his way, if I were skating on the same ice. ROTFLOL

Nope, none of the above will ever happen. Maybe, I might be lucky to do an on ice skating clinic that Jeff is part of but that's it.