View Full Version : How long did it take you to pass your test for the Freestyle level your at?

FSWer
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok skaters!!! A book gave me the idea for this thread. What I want you to tell me today is.....how long did it take you to pass your test for the Freestyle level you are at now and what level are you?

jazzpants
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Dana: Keep in mind that we also have to pass the corresponding MOVES test BEFORE you can take the Freestyle. You'll see why I said this when I give you my answer.

I'm skating as a 1.5 year old "minted" Adult Bronze lady. It took me FOUR YEARS (Yes! You read right! FOUR YEARS!) of CONSISTENT work on it to pass the Bronze Moves test. And how long after that did it take for me to FINALLY pass the Bronze FS test? 3 MONTHS!

ETA: Everyone's rate of learning and skating is different. There really is not a "typical case." I certainly am NOT a typical case.

WhiteBoots30
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
It took me over 4 years to pass my NISA level 4 elements - basically because I took that long to learn an axel. However, since the test the axel has been so dodgy that I can't yet do the level 4 free test. Hopefully I will take this sometime in the Autumn.

My record longest gap between tests was the 5 years from inter-bronze to bronze (now called level 6) field moves - and even then I did not feel ready to take the test, but NISA was changing them and it was now or never!

I may beat my own record for the next free skating tests - the level 7 moves are fiendish and I can't get the hang of a flying camel (needed for level 5 elements / free at all!

Clarice
06-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I passed my Adult Silver Free Skating Test in 2002. I started skating in 1995, so I guess it took 7 years to get that far. I passed the Bronze test in 1999, so it took 3 years to move up a level. In those days, adults didn't do Moves tests. I just passed my Gold Moves test last night, but I really doubt I'll ever take the Gold Free Skating Test - not sure whether I'll be able to get a consistent axel at this stage of the game! I will continue with Figures and Dance tests.

sk8lady
06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I passed Pre-pre Moves and Freestyle together (my coach had never heard of the Adult track) and passed Pre-Bronze Moves and Freestyle six months later. I took Bronze moves six months later (I think I was the first adult in my area to take them as they were still pretty new) and got a retry--then did them again a year later (I think?) with a new coach and passed.

Still haven't tried testing Bronze free as I don't have enough jumps--I just skate up to Bronze level at competitions and used my dance level to skate at AN.

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Way back in 1994 I passed both my pre-pre moves and freestyle...
I passed my Juvenile moves in 1998...

In April, I tested my Intermediate moves (and Passed!) and also tested and passed my pre-Juv freestyle at that time.

So, it took me nearly 14 years from first test to my most recent test (I did take a 9 year break in the middle). I am working on my axel so that I can test my Juvenile freestyle in the near future.

FSWer
06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Dana: Keep in mind that we also have to pass the corresponding MOVES test BEFORE you can take the Freestyle. You'll see why I said this when I give you my answer.

I'm skating as a 1.5 year old "minted" Adult Bronze lady. It took me FOUR YEARS (Yes! You read right! FOUR YEARS!) of CONSISTENT work on it to pass the Bronze Moves test. And how long after that did it take for me to FINALLY pass the Bronze FS test? 3 MONTHS!

ETA: Everyone's rate of learning and skating is different. There really is not a "typical case." I certainly am NOT a typical case.

Ok,can someone explain the difference betwen a CORRISPONDING Test and a reg. Test like the Test to become an Intermediate,etc.? BTW. I ment the Test were you take it again in 25 days.

TreSk8sAZ
06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok,can someone explain the difference betwen a CORRISPONDING Test and a reg. Test like the Test to become an Intermediate,etc.? BTW. I ment the Test were you take it again in 25 days.

First, you can re-take a test you fail on the 28th day, not the 25th.

Secondly, a corresponding test, as Jazzpants referred to, means that you have to pass moves at a level before you can even take the freeskate test at that level.

FOR EXAMPLE: You must pass the Intermediate Moves test before you can take (and pass) the Intermediate freestyle test. You are only considered an Intermediate skater once you've passed both tests. This applies to all levels in the USFSA testing track (Pre-Pre through Senior). You must compete at the highest level you have passed your freeskate test at regionals, sectionals, or nationals.

Dana, I would recommend getting a rulebook and looking over the information on testing. It explains all of this. Or, http://sk8stuff.com/ has a good explanation as well.

FSWer
06-06-2008, 08:41 PM
First, you can re-take a test you fail on the 28th day, not the 25th.

Secondly, a corresponding test, as Jazzpants referred to, means that you have to pass moves at a level before you can even take the freeskate test at that level.

FOR EXAMPLE: You must pass the Intermediate Moves test before you can take (and pass) the Intermediate freestyle test. You are only considered an Intermediate skater once you've passed both tests. This applies to all levels in the USFSA testing track (Pre-Pre through Senior). You must compete at the highest level you have passed your freeskate test at regionals, sectionals, or nationals.

Dana, I would recommend getting a rulebook and looking over the information on testing. It explains all of this. Or, http://sk8stuff.com/ has a good explanation as well.

So a corrisponding Test just lest judges see if you CAN DO the moves FOR the Test your trying to pass..and to see if you have it,right? BTW. after you take it again in 28 days. If you still don't pass. Do they let you keep taking it and taking it untill you do? Or after that if you didn't pass do judges mark you..if you parton the expresion...a misfit?

Skittl1321
06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
You can take a test as many times as you'd like as long as you wait 28 days between tests. Judges don't mark you down extra if they know it's your third, fifth, or even more try- however, if you truly aren't prepared to take the test (as opposed to just barely not passing) they might look down on your coach a bit for letting you come test unprepared.

I think you are confused about the corresponding tests. At least this sentence So a corrisponding Test just lest judges see if you CAN DO the moves FOR the Test your trying to pass..and to see if you have it,right? made me think you didn't understand fully. The "moves" for the test are set patterns of footwork elements. They aren't going to be on the freestyle test that a skater will try to pass- but a skater must first prove they can do them before taking a freestyle test (which is a program with certain required elements).

Moves tests- which is shorthand for Moves in the Field are tests that have a focus on edge control, extension, power- things that are important basic skills in skating, and are demonstrated through types of footwork. These tests were designed to replace figures, which are no longer required. So even if you can do all kinds of triple jumps and incredible spins- they are a prerequisite for the freestyle tests to help uphold the standard of skating in that level. They are meant to ensure skates have control over their skating, and are not just doing tricks.

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
So a corrisponding Test just lest judges see if you CAN DO the moves FOR the Test your trying to pass..and to see if you have it,right? BTW. after you take it again in 28 days. If you still don't pass. Do they let you keep taking it and taking it untill you do? Or after that if you didn't pass do judges mark you..if you parton the expresion...a misfit?

Not exactly....

For example...for each test level, there are two test you need to take...one being moves in the field, one being freestyle...they are corresponding because you have to test both of them to be considered that level skater...I am considered a pre-Juvenile skater because I have passed my pre-Juvenile freestyle test even though I have passed my Intermediate moves in the field test. Corresponding just means at the same level in this context.

Unless you are unofficially being critiqued, any time you skate a test, you are being judged...not just being told if you COULD pass the test. There are some judges who will come in for a critique for an extra set of eyes to tell you what you are doing well and what you may need to work on.

If you get a retry on a test, you can retake the test as many times as you want until you pass. You can take a test once every 28 days, so you could possibly take the same test once a month essentially...

FSWer
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Not exactly....

For example...for each test level, there are two test you need to take...one being moves in the field, one being freestyle...they are corresponding because you have to test both of them to be considered that level skater...I am considered a pre-Juvenile skater because I have passed my pre-Juvenile freestyle test even though I have passed my Intermediate moves in the field test. Corresponding just means at the same level in this context.

Unless you are unofficially being critiqued, any time you skate a test, you are being judged...not just being told if you COULD pass the test. There are some judges who will come in for a critique for an extra set of eyes to tell you what you are doing well and what you may need to work on.

If you get a retry on a test, you can retake the test as many times as you want until you pass. You can take a test once every 28 days, so you could possibly take the same test once a month essentially...

Ok...why do we need 2 Test? Why not just take 1 test to pass on to become that level skater?

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok...why do we need 2 Test? Why not just take 1 test to pass on to become that level skater?

As Skittl1321 said, it is to make sure that people are not just doing tricks on the ice. The moves in the field show a mastery of various set patterns which contain different skills. They also show power, extension, edge quality, and quickness...all things that may or may not be shown in a freestyle test.

School (compulsory) figures used to be how these qualities were judged, however, figures are no longer mandatory and Moves in the Field have taken their place.

There are many skaters who can be a jumping bean and land some of the most difficult jumps there are (think...Tonya Harding who has landed triple axels, which for most women would be practically unattainable), but if that same skater does not have control over their edges, or are unable to extend the line of their body, the overall feel of their skating is one of lesser quality than someone who is able to do those things (think...Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan).

FSWer
06-06-2008, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Kim to the Max;367703]As Skittl1321 said, it is to make sure that people are not just doing tricks on the ice. The moves in the field show a mastery of various set patterns which contain different skills. They also show power, extension, edge quality, and quickness...all things that may or may not be shown in a freestyle test.

School (compulsory) figures used to be how these qualities were judged, however, figures are no longer mandatory and Moves in the Field have taken their place.

There are many skaters who can be a jumping bean and land some of the most difficult jumps there are (think...Tonya Harding who has landed triple axels, which for most women would be practically unattainable), but if that same skater does not have control over their edges, or are unable to extend the line of their body, the overall feel of their skating is one of lesser quality than someone who is able to do those things (think...Kristi Yamaguchi or Michelle Kwan).[/

Ok,please give me an ex. of something judges would want to make sure skates weren't doing.

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok,please give me an ex. of something judges would want to make sure skates weren't doing.

It isn't so much that the judges want to make sure that skaters are not doing something, it is more that they are assuring that the skating is of a certain quality at the different levels.

www.usfigureskating.org/content/MIFSchoolManual.pdf

This document gives both the common errors found with the moves and also the test standards. Finally pages 34-38 give the varying degrees of mastery the judges are looking for at the different levels. This document is from 2002, so it is not the most up to date, but much of the information is still useful.

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Duplicate post...

karliey
06-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the simple easy way to put it is that skating is not just freestyle. The freestyle tests contain the required jumps and spins done in a program. You need to pass the moves in the field level before you're allowed to take it because elements such as turns, steps, and edges also need to be passed.

FSWer
06-07-2008, 08:11 PM
It isn't so much that the judges want to make sure that skaters are not doing something, it is more that they are assuring that the skating is of a certain quality at the different levels.

www.usfigureskating.org/content/MIFSchoolManual.pdf

This document gives both the common errors found with the moves and also the test standards. Finally pages 34-38 give the varying degrees of mastery the judges are looking for at the different levels. This document is from 2002, so it is not the most up to date, but much of the information is still useful.

Say,can someone please explain what the top part of Kim's message means?

Skittl1321
06-07-2008, 08:21 PM
You asked for examples of what judges want to make sure skaters are not doing. She was saying it's not so much about what they are not doing, but what they are doing.

For example- a pre-preliminary skater does crossovers, and so does a senior skater. But you'd expect a senior level skater to have more power, deeper edges, better extension in their crossovers as compared to a pre-pre skater. That's what the judges are looking for.

The moves in the field tests ensure that this standard is met before the skater has the opportunity to take the freestyle test for that level. A freeskate routine will SHOW these things- but it's hard to judge them when everyone might have different footwork in their routines. The moves tests ensure that everyone is judged on the same patterns and the same standards.

FSWer
06-07-2008, 08:23 PM
You asked for examples of what judges want to make sure skaters are not doing. She was saying it's not so much about what they are not doing, but what they are doing.

For example- a pre-preliminary skater does crossovers, and so does a senior skater. But you'd expect a senior level skater to have more power, deeper edges, better extension in their crossovers as compared to a pre-pre skater. That's what the judges are looking for.

The moves in the field tests ensure that this standard is met before the skater has the opportunity to take the freestyle test for that level. A freeskate routine will SHOW these things- but it's hard to judge them when everyone might have different footwork in their routines. The moves tests ensure that everyone is judged on the same patterns and the same standards.

Ok,why do they not have just 1 big test?

Skittl1321
06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Because they decided not to do it that way.

Personally, I'm glad that it's the way it is. I think the idea of having to do all that on the same day is incredibly daunting. It's just too much stress. And if you fail the moves portion of the test, then the preperation of the freestyle program was wasted.

techskater
06-08-2008, 05:44 AM
They don't have one big test because skating the FS program at the passing standard can be stressful enough for a lot of skaters and when you get to the Senior level it's a LONG program. Also, skaters can split up when they take it which saves on ice time for a given test session.

Mel On Ice
06-08-2008, 11:04 AM
time between pre-bronze free and bronze free was 4 years. Time between bronze free and silver free is 4 years and counting. I was passing my ISI freestyle tests at a rate of one a year, but I have been an ISI 4 for almost 3 years now. It's difficult because I'm living in an area that is exclusively USFSA, so I don't have an opportunity to train for 5, esp. since I'm hammering on silver moves and putting together competitive programs for next season.