View Full Version : Spring Showers or Summer Sun - June 1st-June 7th

Helen88
06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
No practice thread yet today? Thought I'd better start one :)

Summer Sun:
I landed my salchow!

Yeyyy!! :D. Haha they’re a bit dodgy, and they’re not really much of a jump, but I did it, and I did it more than once, and I did it from crossovers, and I JUST got off the ice, and yeah. Yey :]

Spring Showers:
Urm…yeah I didn’t have a lesson today. Just practiced. I tried some spins again, but they're still rubbish. Well. Non-existent. I really don’t get them. I do the crossovers, and hold the edge, then step forward and hold it for a semi-circle, then pull in…and end up doing a 3-turn. Ugh.

Edges were okay, back crossovers felt really good, forward crossovers are awful too. I don’t get the whole foot-down-slide-under thing. It’s not working. But I guess they’ll just take practice.

Stormy
06-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Summer Sun: Landed clean, on one foot double salchows!! Finally, finally!! Good spins, stars into flying back sit was better than last week. Axels were also clean and on one foot. It was a very sunny skating day! :)

Spring showers: Not much! Laybacks are cruddy, I just can't do that spin! Meh. But other than that, no showers to speak of!

TiggerTooSkates
06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
...but hey - I'm doin', right?

Summer sun: I'm starting to get a clean transition from a two-foot turn to back crossovers. I'm actually very proud of my crossovers; I think that for the point I'm at in my skating they're some of the best I've seen in the rink at my level. (Coach is pretty impressed with them as well.) Very little scratching and not much toe picking involved with them. I like "fooling around" on the ice at uncrowded public sessions; it helps me learn about edges and body positioning and control - hence the two-footers at speed into back crossovers. (Plus it makes me feel like I can actually DO something other than just circle around the rink!)

Spring showers: I'm still chicken about doing three turns. I don't think I have enough support in my boots (and my coach is agreeing with me) and I'm terrified of picking up that other foot - because I can feel (and he's told me he sees it) my boot giving. I'll do them on the boards all day, but I chicken out at center ice. I just know I'm going to kill myself.

So while I'm not jumping yet, I feel like I have little bits to be proud of!

kander
06-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Summer Sun: Landed clean, on one foot double salchows!! Finally, finally!! Good spins, stars into flying back sit was better than last week. Axels were also clean and on one foot. It was a very sunny skating day! :)

Spring showers: Not much! Laybacks are cruddy, I just can't do that spin! Meh. But other than that, no showers to speak of!

Congrats on the salchow!

kander
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Spring Showers: Had (another) bad lesson on thursday. Why can't I skate well in front of coach?? Everything I did was lousy. As soon as the lesson was over and coach moved on I started landing some good jumps. It drives me nuts.

Summer Sun: Turned around and had a great skate on saturday. Did everything well, even spins. Landed a great axel and (drum roll) a great double loop! It's been a long time. I think I might have finally figured it out.

Thin-Ice
06-02-2008, 03:25 AM
...but hey - I'm doin', right?

Summer sun: I'm starting to get a clean transition from a two-foot turn to back crossovers. I'm actually very proud of my crossovers; I think that for the point I'm at in my skating they're some of the best I've seen in the rink at my level. (Coach is pretty impressed with them as well.) Very little scratching and not much toe picking involved with them. I like "fooling around" on the ice at uncrowded public sessions; it helps me learn about edges and body positioning and control - hence the two-footers at speed into back crossovers. (Plus it makes me feel like I can actually DO something other than just circle around the rink!)

Spring showers: I'm still chicken about doing three turns. I don't think I have enough support in my boots (and my coach is agreeing with me) and I'm terrified of picking up that other foot - because I can feel (and he's told me he sees it) my boot giving. I'll do them on the boards all day, but I chicken out at center ice. I just know I'm going to kill myself.

So while I'm not jumping yet, I feel like I have little bits to be proud of!

If your coach says your boots are giving out, LISTEN. That's a voice of experience agreeing with your little internal voice telling you this is scary/dangerous.

As for your progress: HURRAY!!! Anything we can do to get better is a good thing. Enjoy feeling good about your crossovers now... even the elite skaters have to keep working on them.

Casey
06-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Haha, I remember reversing these topics last time I was here, and, I feel I must do the same again, since I prefer showers to sun. :)

Spring Showers

Went to a public session today - first time with the new skates, and boy was it an experience. I got to see a bunch of other adult skaters at the rink, which was nicely encouraging.

There a woman with amazing elegance and nice lines with very clean jumps, and it was really inspiring to watch her. She must have been her coach's dream come true, going through her warmup and working her way up through the jumps from the bottom up, no skipping the boring stuff. So it was that I casually noticed a really nice flip, but assumed, since she'd done nothing harder up to that point, that that was her best jump. Then she goes and, without even much speed or seemingly any effort, pulls off a perfect lutz right in front of me while I'm taking a break. Gosh, that's the place I want my skating to be at - clean, consistent, and controlled. She spent the last half of the session working on axel attempts. It was nice to see this all happen on a public session and not just by some crazy exception like me - there's really plenty of room at this rink.
In contrast, there was a guy who looked to be in his 40's or getting close, whose skating style was fast, aggressive, and fun. Not so clean and controlled, but it made his love of skating very obvious and was a lot of fun to observe. I guess that's what people think when they see me skate, for better or for worse. I realized another similarity after the session, as I was packing up and getting ready to head off on my skateboard, and he put on his rollerblades. :) I used to have inline skates and even used them to skate to the rink, but those got stolen from me one day while I had them sitting in a park and wasn't keeping a close eye on them. In any case we're both skating addicts who can't get enough on the ice. :D
There was an ice dancing couple, and I could swear I've seen the guy before somewhere, but I can't put a finger on where. Anyways since my very brief stint in exploring ice dancing, I've had a lot more appreciation for it, and there was some nice quick footwork that's always fun to see.
There were a few other adults doing jumps and spins and otherwise good skating too. It was nice to see! I'm not used to seeing many folks who can skate very well on public sessions, so it was a testament to the rink having plenty of room for it. :)

One guy came up and asked me what sort of blades I had - guess they're unusual enough to attract attention. And maybe, a small part of what attracted the attention was the skating (okay well, I can dream!).
About 5 minutes after the session started, I skated around as fast as I could, and did a GIGANTIC loop jump. Like, there was a good couple seconds of air time, and I went high - I can hardly guess how high but it was really up there. I've been told before that I had enough height and speed for triples, but I never really believed that. Today, I felt that (not that it brings me any closer to that goal, but it sure was nice). Landed clean and there were gasps and people pointing. :P I wish I still had a video camera and had caught it!
After first few minutes, I actually did settle down and have somewhat of a warm-up. Worked on edges and they're getting back to where they should be! Cross rolls are perhaps better than ever, to the point that I ended up going too deep and hitting the boot sole edge on the ice - I've actually done this on both side of both boots without even knowing it as I have scuff marks there, but today it was enough to make me lose the edge and I had to recover quick. I've said before and I'll say again. these blades have incredible edge control.
Successfully did clockwise waltz and salchows, albeit not the best.
Did a few pretty decent backspins, where pretty decent means managed to get around a number of times, because I was never good at them. But it was something, and indicated that indeed it is possible to spin on these blades, maybe.

Summer Sun

Despite the upsides, I was really self-conscious and not all that happy with my skating overall. Arms were everywhere, most of my jumps were pretty botched, etc.
Still can't spin at all. Tried and tried and tried, and it just kept getting worse. Started feeling like there's just not enough rocker to spin. I was constantly dragging toepick or scraping too much blade surface and traveling all over the place. It was a real bummer. But then the backspin worked out better - at least, the few revolutions I could hold were clean and not scratchy or very difficult, so I don't know what's holding my regular spins back so much.
One adult and two children who were probably skating for their first times wanted me to teach them how to skate. It makes me feel really rude to say no, but I can't really just help other people all the time when I should be working on my own skating.
Petered out tired and sore...my poor body isn't used to this stuff anymore...

Overall, pretty good day!

Kim to the Max
06-02-2008, 08:03 AM
[Spring Showers]
One of last night's sessions was super crazy busy...23 skaters ranging from a 5 year old with no tests and doing basic skills to teens doing senior moves and double axels. What a madhouse it was!! Part of it is that because it's summer, a lot of clubs have no ice and are walking on to ours... Luckily, as a board, we are going to split the rest of the Sunday sessions in June to Lo/High freestyle/dance to help avoid some of this...it's a good problem to have, but it's still scary.

I am still struggling with some of the Novice moves. Coach was getting frustrated on Thursday with them (part of that is because she is so used to seeing the polished Intermediate moves)...Mainly I'm having issues with the rocker/choctaw patterns (both of them) and the counters. Ugh...it's frustrating...it will come in time, but I'm a bit impatient with these things...plus, the rink on campus is closed until June 14th meaning that I am only skating 3 days a week right now. I can't wait until I am able to skate more (at least through the months of June and July...come August my life gets taken over by work for at least 3 weeks...although, I think I'm going to try to get to the rink two mornings each week during that time...)

Axels - had a couple that could have been promising, but alas, I fell on my butt for about 99% of my attempts. And that 1% I didn't fall on, were badly under rotated. Still not landing on my toe...ugh!

Double sals - not landed, fully rotated, but I need to get that snap down to cross my legs, right now, they are not crossing which is why I am not landing them...I think that once I can get my legs crossed in the air, I might stop two footing them.

Spins are still not back 100% with the new blades..

[Summer Sun]
Did the drill Coach gave me for the bracket-3-bracket pattern and was able to do all but one side of it (one push from one side of the hockey circle and bracket-3-brackets across the entire diameter).

Boots are pretty much broken in, although, I definitely have a crease starting where there shouldn't be one (outside landing foot, one crease started right by the bottom hook, and one started about 2 holes down...don't know how that happened, but I'm just going to have to live with it...next time I get new skates, I'm going to try to get a notch put in to help with this since this seems to be a pattern with me and my boots).

doubletoe
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Spring Showers (Umm, I LIKE spring showers, but OK. . .)

Yesterday I skated in my club's in-house competition and my goal was to skate a clean program. On my opening spin--which I messed up in my last two competitions--guess what? I messed up!! :cry: Of course I did it just fine in the warmup, but it messes with my head as soon as the pressure is on. Even though it wouldn't be the best choice choreographically, I may try swapping it with the flying camel so that it's the third element in my program, not the first.

Summer Sun (this is supposed to be good? There's a reason I do an indoor sport! :lol:)

Well, I surprised myself by not falling apart after that incredibly disappointing start. The second element was an axel, and I nailed it. It even got a +1 GOE from one of the judges. I went on to complete every other element in the program with no further mistakes, and since the opening spin still got 60% of its base value, I guess I really only made half a mistake. That's the cleanest I've skated in competition in quite awhile, so I'm definitely on my way to achieving my clean program goal!

dbny
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I landed my salchow!

Landed clean, on one foot double salchows!! Finally, finally!!

CONGRATULATIONS to you both!

I'm still chicken about doing three turns. I don't think I have enough support in my boots (and my coach is agreeing with me) and I'm terrified of picking up that other foot - because I can feel (and he's told me he sees it) my boot giving. I'll do them on the boards all day, but I chicken out at center ice.

I know the chicken-away-from-the-boards feeling all too well! I have to comment on the lack of support from boots though. Remember that the old boots did not provide much support at all, and some very big jumps were landed in them, including the first triples. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get new boots, but proper technique can get you through things like bad boots and bad ice.

Summer Sun:
I wasn't going to skate today at all because yesterday was our spring show, and I'm exhausted, but remembered around 2 that I had to give a lesson at 3:30. So I got there a bit early and decided to just work on figures by way of pampering myself. The ice was rough and really chewed up, so I had to struggle for the edges and to get all the way around, but I did finally manage to get going. I also remembered my coach emphasizing rocking to the toe for the turns in my last lesson, so I spent some time just doing very small two foot turns and feeling the rock forward. When I went on to three turns after that, and there was an amazing improvement in both FO and FI threes. I am finally doing them very, very close to Prelim MIF passing standard.

I also had a minor miracle with spins yesterday. I had to demo a one foot spin from F pivot. I have not been able to nail a one foot spin at all for the past two weeks, and yesterday did several very nice ones under pressure. Today, just before the Zam chased us off the ice, I did one with my unzipped coaching jacket flying out around me, and held on to it.

Spring Downpour:
I have to report to jury duty at 8:30 AM Wednesday morning. Being self employed, I am going to take a big $$$ hit, if I can't get off fairly quickly. I also do not want to miss practice and lessons now that I feel I am finally moving forward at last. I'll wear jeans and maintain a sullen look, and do everything not dishonest to get off ASAP. (For anyone wanting to lecture me, I've already served jury duty every two years for at least the past 30 years and was only once selected for a case. They had their chance AFAIC.)

Terri C
06-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Summer Sun:
Spins and basic stroking are all intact.

Spring Showers:
Still in the jump funk. Had no energy on the ice today. I know why this going on and it will go away in a few days.

FlyAndCrash
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Sunny:
I landed my axel, double salchow, and double loop today! It's been so long since I've even worked on my loop, but we did today.

Rainy:
Practice started out really crappy. First of all, I have a mosquito bite on my right (landing) foot. I could barely walk from my car to rinkside and had to take off my shoe. Then, my program run-through was crap. I missed both my camel and camel-sit. Not good.

Sunny:
After lots of frustration and moaning (and whining and complaining...) I had a half-decent camel-sit. Hopefully, me camel will return by Friday!!!

Rainy:
I need to stop thinking so much about my jumps. My axel was okay, but messy. My double salchow took a lot of mental preparation and I wimped out on a lot. The double loop was a little bit like torture. I appearantly can't wait 'til forwards, not turn my head, and jump at the same time. I had many head issues...

Sunny/Rainy...
My coach might come to yoga tonight with another girl. Yeah.. don't know how I feel about that one.

jazzpants
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats to Stormy for her double sal and Helen88 for her salchow. WHOO HOO!!!

Doubletoe: isn't it rarely the case that anyone would skate a clean program at a competition? :roll: (Sounds like you did great considering!!!)

Summer Fun:

Sit spins are much lower now
Loop was there and consistent now! Rest of jumps were there. Lutz was definitely there for a short time.
Crossovers are much better. I think the coaches will be pleased.
I think I'm starting to get all my 3-turns... yes, including the BI3's!!! They're still sucky but they DO EXISTS now!!! I'll take "sucky" over "non-existant!!!" :bow:Spring Showers:

Sit Spin free foot is NOT turned out and I still can't get up on one foot on the spinning leg with the lower position. May have to learn the back sit combo to wimp my way out of it... (NOT!!! My back sit is WORSE!!! :twisted: )
Jumps all disappeared towards the end of the session. Didn't land ANY flips clean. Too tired!!! Gave up after a couple of tries. :giveup:
Having fun trying to build up speed in going from forward to backwards... NOT!!! (And for a Pre-Bronze lady, I'm fast... but for a Bronze lady... ummm... I gotta step it up a bit!!!)

Casey
06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Doubletoe - see? I'm not the only crazy one! :) :)

Spring Showers

Went to the rink for the 5:45 session yesterday morning - and had PRIVATE ICE for the whole session!!! Plus it was nice fresh ice, without a single blade mark in it. Ahhhhhhhh sooo nice.
Got spins a little bit...finally. Am able to pull off 10-15 revolutions with fairly okay centering before losing control. It has been really hard adjusting to spinning on these blades, and I certainly still have a ways to go to get back to where I was before (if nothing else in simple terms of comfortability), but I feel like this was a real breakthrough.

Summer Sun

Getting some really bad pain on the inside of my calf, a little above the top of my boot. Skateboarding is what's been aggravating this more I think though, as that's my pushing foot and if I skateboard too much I feel it. It *really* hurt yesterday after skating, and is very pressure-sensitive. I'm not sure what could be wrong, maybe a strained tendon or something. So I'm walking instead of skateboarding for a while, and hoping it clears up. Took today off skating, but going back tomorrow as I have a lesson. :P

jskater49
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Spring SHowers

So until club skating camp starts it's lessons on public ice which usually is pretty empty but today there was a busload of 5th graders. ARGH!!! Oh shoot, I supposed that means working on spins....

Well coach was able to think of other things...like working on my posture in back crossovers and realling leaning into the circle for back edges

then on to power 3s....again it's the posture ....tuck in the pelvis, stretch the shoulders and head up...and don't forget to step on the inside edge for the rollover.

Summer sunshine - worked on spin entry and I really am getting better at the entry...coach suggested I might try to push harder for a faster entry but not so I get out of control..

Then she says "Let's work on back pivots" ...and we start and I say "Hey, you aren't thinking of teaching me a back spin are you?" "I can't pull anything over you can I?" She likes to try to avoid the mental blocks of just the word....once she tried to work with a 5 year old, she never said anything just, let's work on your waltz jump ...and your back spin....and the little girl got off the ice and yelled to her mom "I'm learning axels mom!"

I got off the ice after my lesson because crowded public ice scares me.

j

jskater49
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh I forgot - we worked on half flips since she liked my 3 turns so well and I actually did some really straight up off the ice jumps. I usually kind of just go forward and don't get off the ice much.

j

Scarlett
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Trying to be better about posting:

Summer Sun: Landed all the jumps I know (all the singles except the axel) cleanly today.
My backspin came out of hiding today.

Spring Showers: Landed all my jumps but for some reason my waltz jump has decided it hates me. How I can land clean lutzes but two-foot a waltz jump is beyond me.
Still in remedial sitspin class.

TiggerTooSkates
06-03-2008, 08:17 PM
If your coach says your boots are giving out, LISTEN. That's a voice of experience agreeing with your little internal voice telling you this is scary/dangerous.

As for your progress: HURRAY!!! Anything we can do to get better is a good thing. Enjoy feeling good about your crossovers now... even the elite skaters have to keep working on them.

Oh, I'm definitely listening to my coach - we are currently exploring different options and combos of new boots and blades. I'm really looking forward to getting GOOD skates; I think I'll really see some serious improvement.

And thanks for the encouragement. :yum:

Skittl1321
06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Summer Sun Real nice lesson yesterday. For the first few minutes of LTS I was the only person so I talked the instructor into doing moves instead of freestyle. Then a few more people came- and I don't think the little girl was interested at all. Should have been there earlier I guess.

So we worked on alternating forward crossovers, power 3 turns, and 5 step mohawk. All on the short axis because of the LTS setup (that makes these much more challenging, since they aren't where they always go.). I got complimented on my alternating fwd crossovers, but I think it was in relation to others- who weren't getting it at all. When we isolated the arm/shoulder rotation- it really messed me up, so I need to work on it, but in context of the move, I did okay.

On power 3 turns I also got complimented, but we did them from a standstill. My issue is getting the guts to do the first one. I don't have a very nice lobe, and he was able to figure out why! I got told I did a really nice transistion push, but then I cut my crossover too sharply. That crossover needs to form the lobe, so I have to take my time and hold the individual edges longer.

Spring Showers 5 step mohawk was yuck. I got told I look like a penguin. I guess I need to skate under my hips more.

Thunderstorms Urgh- found out the blades are backordered and "don't know when they might come in". I've never heard of a company that can't at least estimate a backorder- so I think the rink is being lazy. If they'll give me an order number, I'll call the company myself. My current blades don't have another sharpening left and I want to test in August. I'm now worried that even if they do come in, they won't come in with enough time for me to get used to them. Maybe I should downgrade to the Mirages now- so I can get used to them again- until the new blades come in. I hate blades.

Also have no idea what's going on with my coach. She had some family issues, but now seems to have disappeared. Hopefully she'll be at synchro tonight- otherwise my dance coach said she'd do moves lessons with me. I really want to do this test in August.

Kim to the Max
06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
[Spring Showers]
Yet again, still falling on my butt on my axels...double sals are all the way around, but that snap to cross my legs isn't there yet, so it is difficult to even attempt to land on one foot...

Also, not really doing so hot with the back camel...again not getting enough snap...I should probably work on my "bend and snap" as Coach and I were joking about last Thursday...hehe...this is why I love my coach...and the fact that we are the same age...we have so many pop culture references it's not even funny...starting with that "Legally Blonde" reference...

And am struggling with the new moves...oh well...they will come...it's funny because another one of the skaters who is working on Novice moves (another one of coach's students) keeps commenting that my moves are better than hers, when really, they aren't...I think I just work harder on them...oh well...it is my secret goal to pass her in moves :) I'm not really all that competitive, but this gives me something else to work towards besides actually passing the tests since I don't do formal competitions anymore...

[Summer Sun]
Coach wants me to find new music for my Juvenile test program even though I only really used my pre-juv music once...she said that to extend that music would be boring :) So, I am currently listening to the music from Atonement (it's pretty neat with the typewriter strikes in there) and music from Prince Caspian...both are different from Seven Years in Tibet which was my previous music. The Atonement music is more similar, but a bit more punctuated while the Prince Caspian cuts I am finding are a bit quicker paced which would be perfect for showing my power...although that means that I need to start skating harder to pick up that stamina for a 2:15 minute program!! I've burned copies of the CDs for coach and will give them to her on Thursday...

Spins are starting to come back. Did a REALLY nice layback that was centered and felt very stretched.

My axels are feeling better...I think that I am getting more of a snap on them and am crossing my legs more often than not...it's the landing that gets me every time...there really is no reason why I should not be landing this jump...

Casey
06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I GOT MY LUTZ TODAY!!!

I'd only done like 1 good proper one when I skated before. By proper, I mean not a flutz. The ones today weren't the best looking in the world, but they weren't flutzes either! And I did a few! YAY!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Well done, Casey!

Summer sun: Camp has been totally awesome! Hard work, though.

Spring Showers: It's over! And I'm exhausted!

jazzpants
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Spring Showers:

Well, it's more a "shower will brings summer sun" thing, but I was doing waltz jumps and loop jumps with my arms closed in the ENTIRE TIME! The idea is to learn to do my jumps relying only on my torso and hip. Trust me, it's NOT easy to do and at first I couldn't even land my loops clean nor can I get much height on my waltz. I did managed in the end to do a reasonable waltz jump with the arms in the entire time and I did managed to do a few loop w/o the arms too.

But let me just say... I've gained new "sympathetic" appreciation for skaternum's "Crazy" interp!!! :bow: 8-) (Hey, skaternum!!! Can you lend me your strait-jacket if I ever get this down? I still need a comedy/light entertainment interp for this year!!! :P :lol: )

I guess it's mostly a Spring Shower, but I know the results I get from getting this will be immense.

But THIS is definitely Spring SHOWERS though... that flip jump! I can't seem to pick that free leg with straight legs. My body doesn't understand what to do after I pick with a straight (as in "knee is LOCKED") picking leg! Doesn't seemed to want to understand the concept of "drawing in!!!" :frus: Anyone have tips to "coax" my body into doing this???

I need to fix this, or secondary coach won't go on with the lutz and I know I'm closing in on getting that jump too (instead of flutzing the takeoff... :frus: )

Brief glimpse of Summer Sun:
I will say though that on the flip attempts that I do kick (well, knee) thru, it's almost a certainty that I will land them clean. 8-)

sk8lady
06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Summer sun: Camel spin and backspin coming consistently, did sit to backsit and 1/2 loop several times during lesson yesterday after working on backsit not at all and 1/2 loop all year. :)

Spring showers: Still too afraid to actually jump into air when attempting loop, but on the bright side, this means I can practice it on public skating ice when we're not allowed to jump or spin!

doubletoe
06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I GOT MY LUTZ TODAY!!!

I'd only done like 1 good proper one when I skated before. By proper, I mean not a flutz. The ones today weren't the best looking in the world, but they weren't flutzes either! And I did a few! YAY!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I remember how exciting it was when I finally landed my first lutz, too! :D

Spring Showers:
... that flip jump! I can't seem to pick that free leg with straight legs. My body doesn't understand what to do after I pick with a straight (as in "knee is LOCKED") picking leg! Doesn't seemed to want to understand the concept of "drawing in!!!" :frus: Anyone have tips to "coax" my body into doing this???

I need to fix this, or secondary coach won't go on with the lutz and I know I'm closing in on getting that jump too (instead of flutzing the takeoff... :frus:

A good exercise for create muscle memory for the pull back is to stick your picking toe into the ice, slide forward on the blade of the skating foot until you're in flip picking position, then pull yourself back with the picking foot. Do that a few times, then try it again and actually hop up off the picking toe and land backwards on it without any rotation.

Terri C
06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Summer Sun:
Had some nice spins today during lesson with Secondary Coach- even the camel was so nice that she asked me to try a (gulp!) camel sit. Was told to continue to work on this. Also learned new footwork for my program.

Spring Showers:
The other rink in town is closed until August and we now have what seems like a ton of little ones on our freestyle ice. And it always seems that Secondary Coach and I tend to work on choreography when the rink is a mob scene and the ice is chewed. Add to that that the session ended 30 minutes earlier, giving me only a hour skating time. How in heaven's name am I going to get my "Bronze Lady" homework done, along with working on basic skating with little ice time?

dbny
06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Summer Sun:
Done with jury duty after only one day!!! I get to practice tomorrow and have my lesson on Friday.

Spring Showers:
Public schools are out tomorrow, so sessions will be crowded.

liz_on_ice
06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
spring showers - I've missed so much skating this month. Today was my last lesson with Winter Coach till October. Sniff.

summer sun - I had a lovely zen-like dawn practice yesterday, and a good lesson today. Last lesson, three weeks ago, I actually pulled off a couple of BO3s. I can't wait to get good at these, I love the whole "forwards, backwards, doesn't matter to me" look when they are done well.

singerskates
06-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Unlike Casey, I perfer the Summer Sun over Spring Showers as cold damp rains bother me.

Spring Showers: my 5 day a week sessions have come to an end since spring skating school is over.

Never got to test my Prelim Creative Dance since we had no idea who would be the judge and if they were going to be the right judge for the job.

With less than 2 and half weeks before test day, I had to switch to relearning the Baby Blues for test day which meant I had to drop the Fiesta Tango to concentrate on the Baby Blues.

My practice rink was much much bigger than the test rink. Because of this on test day half of the pattern of my Baby Blues was curvingly huge and the other half was small and flat. This happened because I was so use to pushing harder for my practice rink. A matter a fact, one day I was pushing so hard that I just about toppled over my coach who was partnering the dance with me while doing a left swing roll in the Baby Blues. He was taken by surprise. The only time I had the dance partnered on the smaller rink was once around about 10 minutes before I took the test.

I have to re-edit my freeskate music to make it smoother because my coach doesn't think the editing I did for myself is up to par with the work I've done for all the other skaters including his other students. (It's getting there.)

Summer Sun:

Now the good news; I passed the Baby Blues last Friday even though I haven't worked on it for 4 years or more until 3 weeks ago from today.

This means I'm officially done testing the Preliminary Dances and can move on officially to the Junior Bronze Dances. At present if the powers that be could have all things updated to this moment, I would have listed on the back of my Skate Canada membership for tests passed ; Introductory Interpretive Singles and Preliminary Dance (which for me includes Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Baby Blues). I can add my Creative Prelim Dance later when I feel like it and it won't affect my status at all.

I've only one issue to address in my Fiesta Tango and that is my crossing over while backwards with my left over the right foot before stepping forward onto my right foot. The problem lies between my ears as I have no problem doing this move when I freeskate, so what gives? I'll be starting to learn the Swing Dance in the summer to test it in the fall. And in the fall I'll learn my last dance until I can't jump anymore; the Willow.

I've started having my freeskate choreographed. I've got from the opening pose to my sit spin, with edges, turns, a hydro plane, a loop and a spiral squence sandwiched in between the opening and the sitspin to the music of Ever After A Cinderella Story written by George Fenton.

Forcast: I hope to be able to test my prelim FS this summer after getting my camel, loop and flip clean. I know that I may get dinged on the backspin but I'm going to try to get that back as well. If I can get my lutz back, I'll throw that in my program. I'm also hoping to try competing at the Adult Silver level in a US competition if all things come clean upto the lutz and backspin. I don't think there will be much competition at the St. Clair Shores competition so I have a chance of doing an OK job. Even if I get my Junior Bronze Freeskate by January 15, 2009, I will be keeping my music length as our Adult Canadian times are also Max times like the US Adult Nationals. I'm not going to add more time for one more spin and jump because for this past year, I actually had to really slow down to kill time with only having 4 jumping passes, 2 spins and a spiral sequence at 2:03.

A Summer's Dream: Passing my Junior Bronze freeskate (Adult Silver freeskate in competition), all three Junior Bronze dances (that's a combo of preBronze and Bronze dances in the US) and somehow pass my Prelim and Junior Bronze Skills (move patterns set to music with procise timing, power and procision(sp) that usually take up the whole ice.) Next summer I'd start getting my coaching certificate to become a skating coach to one day become a choreographer. Ah, a girl can dream..........

Thin-Ice
06-05-2008, 02:49 AM
I passed the Baby Blues last Fridayeven though I haven't worked on it for 4 years or more until 3 weeks ago from today.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and best wishes on achieving your summer goals and summer dream!

sk8_4fun
06-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Only lots of warm summer sunshine today,

I passed my level one field moves test :mrgreen: ! sooooooooo happy!

Thin-Ice
06-05-2008, 09:56 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

flo
06-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Sk8 4 fun, Singer, Casey - Congrats!!!!!!!!

Summer Sun - having a great time with pairs and playing this summer!

jcookie1982
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Congrats Singerskates and Sk8_4fun!

Helen88
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Congrats!!

Morgail
06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
this is for yesterday:

Summer Sun:

-made some progress on fixing overall jumping technique

-did great camels

-most moves were decent

-had fun with axel prep

Spring Showers:

-double 3-turns were sllooooooow. When will I learn that 3s don't work so well when you're barely moving? Anyway, trying to turn at nearly a standstill, I fell and stabbed the inside of my right thigh with the back of my left blade. It's two tiny cuts (looks like a baby vampire bit me) with a gigantic bruise. And it HURTS. My coach keeps telling me I need more push on those...I guess now I know why:giveup:

-lutz disappeared for a bit, but returned by the end of the session, even though it wasn't very pretty

-cha cha was slow, probably because I waited until the end of the session to do it

jazzpants
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Congrats to singerskate and sk8_4fun on passing your respective tests!!! WOO HOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Spring Shower:
Geez, that primary coach of mine. All these little details about when to extend my free leg, when to push, etc. I think I drove my primary coach http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/35.gif :twisted:

Summer Sun:
But I think I finally got the pattern, b/c he says "See? I KNOW you can do THIS!!! WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO DO THIS!?!?!?!" :evil:

Also a "derivative" from the "3turns at speed (aka I need a sports psychologist) thread" I did a bunch MORE forward crossovers, FI mohawks to back crossovers, BO mohawks to MORE forward crossover, alternating sides, AT SPEED!!! Trust me, it's NOT a fun drill to do but he wants it done FAST AND smooth! He didn't whine that it was still TOO SLOW so that's progress! :P

Last but certainly not least, but OT... I'm finally resting 'til Saturday and I will kick off the relaxing with a NICE LONG 90-minute relaxing massage with a WONDERFUL masseuse!!! AHHHHH!!! BLISS!!! :mrgreen:

Terri C
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Summer Sun:

Did some good spins for Primary Coach today, including a sit/ backscratch and a secret combo that I've been sworn to secrecy over.

Jumps, including the newbie flip are back!

Spring Showers:

Session was crowded again today and I did have a bit of a collision with another skater. I took the fall, but am okay.

Cannot wait until tomorrow when I can go to the rink across the bay for a quiet (I hope!) morning session. I'll really be delving into my "Bronze Lady homework" there!

Clarice
06-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I passed my Gold MIF test tonight!!! I'm SO happy!!! And so relieved to have it over with! :D

FlyAndCrash
06-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I passed my Gold MIF test tonight!!! I'm SO happy!!! And so relieved to have it over with! :D

CONGRATS!!! When are you starting on the next set? Be sure to post judges comments for us.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

kander
06-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Spring Showers: Had a so-so lesson. Wiped out on 5 loops. Axels were subpar. Took me too many tries to land the toe loop.

Summer Sun: Manged to rotate and almost land the 5 loops I wiped out on. Did my best ever salchow in a lesson. Several people saw it and gave me an ovation :D

Thin-Ice
06-06-2008, 02:46 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Wow another SFer is GOLDEN!!!:bow::bow::bow:

Thin-Ice
06-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Last but certainly not least, but OT... I'm finally resting 'til Saturday and I will kick off the relaxing with a NICE LONG 90-minute relaxing massage with a WONDERFUL masseuse!!! AHHHHH!!! BLISS!!! :mrgreen:

Ooohhhhhh! I'm JEALOUS!!:mrgreen: And you deserve this treat after all your recent hard work. Enjoy completely!

Skittl1321
06-06-2008, 02:56 AM

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Rusty Blades
06-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Congratulations on tests passed!

Cold Shower: I am only 2 weeks in to a 5 week lay-off and already going NUTS! To keep my mind off skating, I am doing 'odd jobs' around home - BOY am I getting a LOT done - LOL! But I keep waking up by 4 a.m. - some habits are hard to break.

singerskates
06-06-2008, 05:32 AM

Congrads on passing but what are level one field moves as I've from Canada. I've heard of Preliminary, PreJuv to Senior but level one, what is included in all that?

After writing back pinch yourself and then do the happy dance. LOL

singerskates
06-06-2008, 05:38 AM

Well, here's a virtual Gold pin to go with that Gold test! Here in Canada when someone finishes a dicipline by passing the Gold level they get a Gold pin and a mention on their Skate Canada section page.

Clarice
06-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, here's a virtual Gold pin to go with that Gold test! Here in Canada when someone finishes a dicipline by passing the Gold level they get a Gold pin and a mention on their Skate Canada section page.

I don't know about a gold pin, but I will get a mention in Skating Magazine. Thanks for the congratulations, everybody!

I passed the forward and backward power circles on the passing average by all 3 judges; on the forward double 3s was on the average with one, 1 10th over with the second, and 1 10th under with the 3rd; same situation with the back double 3s; passed the slide chasses by all 3, 1 10th over by 2 of them; and had a reskate on one of my brackets, after which 1 judge put me on the passing average and the other 2 had me 1 10th under. Ended up right on the passing average overall from all 3. I guess the moral is that if they feel the overall test is passing, they can put extra points in some places to make up for deficits in others - so never give up, even if you think one move went badly!

Next I'll go back to pass standard Juvenile MIF, because there are moves on it I've never officially passed. I had passed through standard Pre-Juv MIF before the adult Moves existed, and then was grandfathered to Silver level, so this Gold test was the first Adult MIF test I've ever taken. I'll also start working on my 1st Figure Test, and hope to finish my Pre-Bronze dances.

SynchroSk8r114
06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Summer sun:
I started out with a few double sal-double loops, which I wasn't quite committing to, of course. Mainly the issue comes from the landing of the double sal, which I have trouble keeping my left arm in front. After several sucky double loops, I finally landed a cheated double sal-double loop. I got in on tape--barely. :P

From there I moved on to spins, which consisted of one combo spin (camel-sit-back sit), one 8 revolution layback, and about four or five flying camels, which felt damn good! I was easily getting 7-8 revolutions on each and they didn't really look all that bad either.

My biellmanns have definitely improved. They no longer look awkward.

Spring showers
I still need to get my hips forward on my spread eagle, but they've gotten better.

I can't say the same for my flying sit attempts, if you even want to call them an attempt. Basically, I fly...and then nothing. Perhaps I need to jump more straight up rather than out...

I ended with some double toes, which sucked. Hittin' the brickwall again, as Coach E would say.

Debbie S
06-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Congratulations, Clarice!

I don't know about a gold pin, but I will get a mention in Skating Magazine. Thanks for the congratulations, everybody!
Yes, you will get a gold pin and certificate in the mail from the USFSA. There is also a gold medal, which costs about $125, that you can get - sometimes the club buys it for the skater and sometimes the skater has to buy it - check with your club's test chair.

I hope to be working on the Gold moves soon. I've practiced the forward double 3's and I tried the slide chasses last Sunday, and nearly collided with another skater. I think I'll wait for the supervision of my coach before attempting those again - lol. :oops:

FlyAndCrash
06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Summer Sun: I made it to practice and I was only about three or four minutes late onto the ice. :D Not a super big deal because my coach wasn't there yet and they don't shoo people off the ice at the end of the session. But I was fairly awake for having gone to bed at 2am (I had taken a nap yesterday though).

Spring Showers: It's been raining and raining and raining these past few days. The rink was damp and icky.

Summer Sun: I had really good practice. My program was pretty much clean (one almost decent camel-sit at the beginning, but the rest of the program was good). Yay! My camel came back from it's vacation. I landed my double loop and double salchow again. It was a painful process of learning to trust myself and not turn my head, but in the end, we did it. And we got to work on my axel-1/2loop-flip combo for my FS6 test. I landed it... but there is definately room for improvement. It's been a long time since I've touched this combo.

Spring Showers: I'm not skating at all next week :(

Summer Sun: I'm going on vacation!!! Super excited. And I'm hoping to see the rink at my college that I'm going to next year. Yay! :D

Isk8NYC
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Spring Showers:
I gave my patch skates another try today.

It was easier to skate in them this time - at least I can stroke now, lol.

I can do edge changes; didn't try power pulls.
Three-turns and Mohawks are wonky.
Started working on back edges, which are very weak on these blades.

Managed a slip-and-slide version of FO and FI 8's. I hate that feeling of having the blade slip sideways while I'm going forward.

Summer Sun:
Switched back to my freestyle skates after about 20 minutes.

Blades felt strange and "sticky" - maybe it was the switch from the flat figure blades to the deep freestyle ROH?

Back and sit spins were awesome. Camel was a bit iffy, but I was talking to one of my kids while I practiced, que sera sera.

Forward spiral patterns were excellent, but the insides were a bit like playing dodge cars.
Between the coned-off midsection and the coaches on the ice, I couldn't stay anywhere near on pattern.

Isk8NYC
06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Congratulations!

jazzpants
06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
CONGRATS, CLARICE on your Gold Move Test!!! What an accomplishment!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I don't know about a gold pin, but I will get a mention in Skating Magazine. Thanks for the congratulations, everybody!Actually you will get a Gold pin for the Moves thru the mail from the USFSA if I remember right. (And with that, I am actually looking to take a break after AN 2009 to seriously work on Silver Moves. I want to get that Gold pin before my body won't let me!!! :twisted: )

Ooohhhhhh! I'm JEALOUS!!:mrgreen: And you deserve this treat after all your recent hard work. Enjoy completely!And according to the massage therapist, I REALLY NEEDED it! He worked on a particular difficult section this time around (Yup! My lower back! All sciatica related...) and said he recommends I come back again in two weeks (instead of the usual "every month" he recommends his "active patients") b/c he's concerned about whether or not it's gonna flare back up again.

Oh, and he says that I have "rock hard muscles!!!" (Geez, I didn't know that!!! LOL!!! :lol: ) Of course, I'm not sure he was being complimentary about it -- he says it's harder for him to get thru the tissues... :P

stacyf419
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I was working on loops last night and fell badly, hitting the very top of the back of my head. I forced myself to do a few more jumps, but I felt sick so I left the ice. Today I'm still feeling a bit nauseous, and feel like I have a touch of whiplash (stiff, hard to turn my head, some pain in my neck and shoulders). I'm blaming it on my recent blade sharpening! I just feel yucky. :cry:

Terri C
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I was working on loops last night and fell badly, hitting the very top of the back of my head. I forced myself to do a few more jumps, but I felt sick so I left the ice. Today I'm still feeling a bit nauseous, and feel like I have a touch of whiplash (stiff, hard to turn my head, some pain in my neck and shoulders). I'm blaming it on my recent blade sharpening! I just feel yucky. :cry:

Stacy,
I'd call your doctor- that nausea after hitting your head is a symptom of a concussion!!

For me- the spins are yes, still getting better, but could not add a backscratch to my sitspin for whatever reason today.

On the jumps- I landed a small but otherwise there loop- toe combo and a sal/ toe combo as well!
I'm sooo clooosse to a clean flip it's killing me!!

looplover
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM

I agree with Terri C - in case you have a concussion please go to the doctor!!

Summer Sun (that's good, right? It's very hot here...): I skated this morning after 2 weeks off ice - played around with rockers trying to get them so I can try a flip from them. Well I didn't really get them but they were fun for a few minutes. My forward power pulls were better and I think my 8 step was actually passable in one direction (counter clockwise)!

Spring Showers: I thought I'd stopped my toe waltz habit and had a genuine toe loop, but I showed my coach and it's still a toe waltz, lol. A good toe waltz! but a toe waltz. Still no flips despite IceSk8NYC's tips this a.m. So weird. Finding back power pulls really difficult, and I've got to work back to a sit spin again since I've been working on moves for a month...found it difficult to do one at all today! My skating is so inconsistent it drives me nuts but then again that's due to lack of adequate practice.:roll:

jazzpants
06-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I was working on loops last night and fell badly, hitting the very top of the back of my head. I forced myself to do a few more jumps, but I felt sick so I left the ice. Today I'm still feeling a bit nauseous, and feel like I have a touch of whiplash (stiff, hard to turn my head, some pain in my neck and shoulders). I'm blaming it on my recent blade sharpening! I just feel yucky. :cry:I second/third everyone's suggestion: GET THEE TO A DOCTOR PRONTO!!!

Kim to the Max
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
For yesterday...I've been dealing with the heat and practically melting in my apartment all day long and haven't had the energy to write this up...darn unseasonably hot weather and no a/c!! Luckily...our temporary summer apartments are getting a/c next week sometime...we just got approval today from energy management to get the units. Now, hopefully maintenance doesn't take their sweet time putting them in...

[Spring Showers]
I'm still struggling with the novice moves...I think I got sooo used to just polishing up the intermediate moves that I am getting frustrated way too quickly...I need to slow down a bit...although, I hope Coach is joking (or is completely out of her mind) because she said that she wanted to try to test these in July 8O ....once the rink on campus opens again on the 14th, I will be able to get in 3 more days of skating each week, so hopefully I can maybe, possibly get these?

My boots are creasing in the wrong spot on my landing foot...I'm not happy about it, but there's nothing I can do...next time I need boots (hopefully these will last a year) I will get the notch put in to maybe help...

[Summer Sun]
Lesson with Coach went well. She tortured me with back camels... then we did some double sals, which are going really well, however, I am not crossing my legs...coach was a bit frustrated and made me do laps when I didn't cross my legs...oops :oops: :) We did axels, which are going well...again, not quite crossing my legs as well as I should be, but we got me staying in a bit longer because what happens is that I tend to try to pull out early...my homework is to do them off ice to really focus on crossing my legs...

Finally we worked on moves...bracket-3-bracket was looking good, but coach wants it FAST...spirals were wonderful :) pattern was a bit off because I was yelling at people to watch out...I love it when I say, "watch out behind you" or just "watch," people don't even look...finally we worked on the rocker/choctaw sequence...I've got some definite direction on that one to work on...

I gave Coach copies of the music from Prince Caspian and from Atonement...I am leaning towards Prince Caspian :) very dramatic and fast, and very different from Seven Years in Tibet :D

patatty
06-07-2008, 06:31 AM

Congratulations!!!! Doesn't it feel great?

Spring Showers: I have a nasty cold and I have lost my axel for the hundredth time. I know that when I get it back, it's usually better than before, but it's still frustrating to have to re-learn it, which can take a long time and put a lot of strain on my knee. I'm having a lot of trouble with layback spins too. I can't seem to get centered enough to go all the way back.

Summer Sun: MIF are feeling more comfortable, and I'm getting much more power, which I need for Intermediate. Spins (except for layback) are also coming along and are getting more consistent.

Isk8NYC
06-07-2008, 08:14 AM
My skating is so inconsistent it drives me nuts but then again that's due to lack of adequate practice.:roll:We should start skating at that Cheap Skate on Tuesday nights. I didn't get to either daytime session this week, thanks to kids and washing machine floods, lol. I could take the kids or leave them at home.

I skated a little at yesterday's afternoon public. No jumps, but spins were dead on and spirals were great. (Rink was empty) Watched a new adult ice dance team working out - they looked great!

Skate@Delaware
06-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Congrats to everyone on your achievements!!!!

I'm living through you guys that are still on the ice....I'm still in "rehab" and not skating at all this summer!!!! LOL!

I had my 2nd visit to the chiro yesterday and we discussed some issues that cropped up since my back surgery and subsequent release from rehab. I have severe tightness in my lumbar region along with weakness in the IT band. I have been working out my glutes, hamstrings, and quads in an effort to strengthen up the whole area, along with some stretching (yoga-child pose, downward dog; frogs, etc). I have lost all the flexibility in my hamstrings-no beautiful spiral for me (boo-hoo, right?) so I have been working them as well and using a strap I can rock those legs up but without a strap there is no strength.

I see September looming towards me and I don't know how in the H*LL i can recover leg strength in time to be useful. But, he assured me that I am on the right track. It will just take time.

The belly dancing class is helping with some of the tightness as well since the positioning is great for the posture (you tuck the pelvis under and that seems to stretch it out very well; the shoulders are in great posture also). It is helping with my awareness for my arms....I can actually move my arms AND my lower body independently now!!!! It's so weird, but it's flowing over to other things-I actually LET GO OF THE TREADMILL HANDRAIL the other day and managed a whole workout without falling over!!!! For the first time EVER!!!! Not that I was able to walk straight, but it was a first in my life for something like that!!! Things are starting to integrate!

Did talk (via email) to my coach, and we might have a pickup session to two in August-sort of a "get reaquainted with the ice" session (she skates in Maryland in the summer). I agreed to test this season and I have 3 routines to learn in addition to that. As well as college classes (but they are repeats that I aced before so they are not a big issue except for the fact I have to physically be there, yeah cha-ching for the college).

I am not sure if I will be at HC....time and my situation will tell. I would like to but I am not going to commit just yet. I don't know when i will test-fall or spring. We have not discussed that yet. We have to plan everything out since I skate mostly ISI an have to achieve back-3's if I pass pre-Bronze and skate up another level (those are hard but I was working on them before I got hurt).

The way things are so far, I should be accepted into the RN program in the fall of 2009, which will severely curtail my skating. I am hoping that i won't have to give it up completely and I'd like to be able to at least maintain my skills (and maybe just do an artistic program-maybe something with my belly dancing stuff). I don't think I'll have a problem with the academics or the clinicals, just the scheduling. My husband is not being supportive at all and he has given up skating completely, unfortunately.

Oh well, I'd better post this before it goes into chapter 2!!!!;)

jskater49
06-07-2008, 01:01 PM

:bow::bow::bow:CONGRATULATIONS:bow::bow::bow:

Mrs Redboots
06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Congratulations, Clarice & Sk84fun!

Spring flowers: We were 2nd!!!!!! I am still really, really pleased - it only took ten years, after all.....

Summer showers: Sprained my thumb in the warm-up to our free dance, and it really hurts (Husband tripped on a mohawk and pulled.....). We were 3rd out of 3 in that, which we expected, but wouldn't it have been nice if we hadn't been.....

jazzpants
06-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Spring flowers: We were 2nd!!!!!! I am still really, really pleased - it only took ten years, after all.....I posted this on the other thread but...

WOOO HOO!!!! Congrats on your Silver, Mr. and Mrs. Redboots!!! Well earned!!! Well deserved!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Summer showers: Sprained my thumb in the warm-up to our free dance, and it really hurts (Husband tripped on a mohawk and pulled.....). We were 3rd out of 3 in that, which we expected, but wouldn't it have been nice if we hadn't been.....Oh, geez!!! Be careful!!! And if you can pull out of the cellar on your compulsary dance, you CAN and WILL do the same in the free dance!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/n030.gif

Isk8NYC
06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Spring flowers: We were 2nd!!!!!!

Congratulations on your silver medals!

sk8_4fun
06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Spring flowers: We were 2nd!!!!!! I am still really, really pleased - it only took ten years, after all.....

CONGRATULATIONS MR AND MRS REDBOOTS!!!!! THATS AWESOME!!!

Bill_S
06-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I take a few days off, and everyone gets awards and passes tests! It's pleasant news to read, of course.

Congratulations everyone!

Kim to the Max
06-08-2008, 09:30 PM
[Spring Showers]
Holy foggy rink batman! It was so foggy for the 2nd session of the night (mixed freestyle) up until the high freestyle session, that you couldn't see past mid-rink 8O And it was so warm that I was skating in my tank top! I haven't done that in a long time...luckily, I've lost weight..hehehe

Rocker/Choctaw patterns sucked majorly...particularly pattern #2 (the quick end pattern)...I just can't get the pushes and the timing down...I can do it with pattern #4 where it's slower and I hold the BO edge...ugh...I was able to get my arms better on pattern #4, which is good....

Axels were okay...kinda' mediocre...still not crossing my legs, but I haven't been able to do any off ice because of this dang heat....same thing with double sals...

Spins were completely off today...couldn't do a good layback to save my life! And my sit spins were traveling like crazy....

[Summer Sun]
Fixed some things with my moves and just plain worked hard today...which is always a good feeling no matter how I skate :) plus, I know that the hard work and the many repetitions will pay off eventually when I have some beautiful jumps and spins...

kander
06-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Spring Showers: The last two sessions have been overall pretty bad jumpingwise. I couldn't do any decent toeloops and most of my other jumps were, for the most part, icky.

Summer Sun: I've been on a pretty good streak with my spins. Did a couple of really good axels yesterday. The kind that takes 1 second to do and makes 2 hours of skating worthwhile. Did a really nice salchow in lesson.

dbny
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I passed the Baby Blues last Friday even though I haven't worked on it for 4 years or more until 3 weeks ago from today.

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!

:bow: CONGRATULATIONS! :bow:

We were 2nd!!!!!! I am still really, really pleased - it only took ten years, after all.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Hard won and well deserved!

momsk8er
06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Congrats to everyone! Wow, what a lot of success stories this week.

Ice was so crowded yesterday, I hate skating with so many people. It is really hard to practice anything without having to divert because someone is in your way. :giveup:

Practicing for Bronze moves test in a couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes. I think it would be iffy at the regular standard, but I hope it can pass at the adult standard. I know my daughter failed the power 3s because she stepped first on an outside edge in the backward power step, and I am having trouble with that too. Any tricks for that? Maybe I'm stepping too soon?

Getting frustrated with spins, as my spins used to be fast and centered and now I'm doing some crazy thing with my hip on the 3 turn, throwing them off. I manage to do it right about 1 time in 4.

Had a baby oppossum in my house for a few days. Came in through the dryer vent, went potty on my sheets in the dryer, and chewed its way out through the vent hose. Took us 4 days to catch it, but we finally got it last night.

doubletoe
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Congratulations to Singerskates, SK8_4fun, Clarice and Mrs. Redboots!
Yes, Clarice, you should receive a little gold pin in the mail from the USFSA, as well as a test certificate. :)