View Full Version : Salchows - different single vs. double technique?

Casey
06-01-2008, 02:08 AM
So my current coach tells me to kick through on the salchow as one is supposed to do for a waltz. At a public session last night, I felt like I finally "got it", because I timed them right and followed through and they "just worked", and felt a lot nicer too.

It occurs to me though, that when you get up to doubles, this must be different, since your left foot is supposed to cross over the right one. Does anybody have experience they could share?

Sessy
06-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Can you do a salchow-loop combo yet? Cuz there you end up keeping your free foot kinda in front of you on the landing so you can take-off for the loop and then cross on the loop easily.

Also, check out this video of a girl doing a single salchow with her foot in a position from which she can easily cross:

http://skateclass.ru/movies/salhov.avi

FlyAndCrash
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM
It is supposed to be more straight leg on a single. However, it is usually done with a bent knee until you have sufficient skill and technique to do one with a straight knee. I think it works more on the lift and timing.

On the double though, the leg is more bent because the leg makes an "h" during takeoff - like an axel.

kander
06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
So my current coach tells me to kick through on the salchow as one is supposed to do for a waltz. At a public session last night, I felt like I finally "got it", because I timed them right and followed through and they "just worked", and felt a lot nicer too.

It occurs to me though, that when you get up to doubles, this must be different, since your left foot is supposed to cross over the right one. Does anybody have experience they could share?

The thing about the salchow is that you are supposed to bring the free leg through, as opposed to around. I think that's where the waltz analogy comes from. If you do the single right, then the double is basically the same thing. The same goes for most of the jumps.

flo
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
For the salchow, the first part of the skate through is the instep (the inside arch area of the boot). With the waltz you bend the free leg and bring it through, while with the salchow it's more of a sweeping motion (but not swinging). In the air the positions are very similiar as they are open before the rotation.

For me the singles and doubles are pretty much the same take off. The difference is in the pull in at the top of the jump.

doubletoe
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
The double salchow is to the single salchow as the axel is to the waltz jump. The takeoff is the same on the double as the single, but you bend the free leg (right leg) as you lift up into the air so that the jump goes more straight up rather than out across the ice. Then you turn the hip in and straighten the right leg so that you end up backward over the right leg for the extra 1 revolution in the air.