View Full Version : Gatorade Vs. G2

kander
06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Has anybody tried G2? I'm a Gatorade man, but I recently tried G2. It tastes a lot like Gatorade and has about half the calories. It has the same electrolyte content. I think I might switch (unless I need the calories). I'll probably carry one of each in my workout bag.

Stormy
06-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Unless you're sweating buckets, honestly, plain old water is better. You don't need to be drinking extra calories from Gatorade or G2. I like the red Powerade and Vitamin Water but rarely do I have them since I feel bad driking so many extra calories for nothing.

Skittl1321
06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Personally I'm a Powerade girl. The taste of Gatorade does nothing for me. While I'm skating I drink water, but after a bike ride home I like a few sips of Powerade- the water doesn't get rid of the shaky feeling I always have. I agree with the previous poster though- for hydration, you really only just need water- unless you are doing some insane skating workouts.

kander
06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Personally I'm a Powerade girl. The taste of Gatorade does nothing for me. While I'm skating I drink water, but after a bike ride home I like a few sips of Powerade- the water doesn't get rid of the shaky feeling I always have. I agree with the previous poster though- for hydration, you really only just need water- unless you are doing some insane skating workouts.

My saturdays are pretty intense. Two hours skating followed by two hours in the gym. I typically burn over 2000 calories which is why I need the replacement. I'd pass out without it.

jazzpants
06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
My saturdays are pretty intense. Two hours skating followed by two hours in the gym. I typically burn over 2000 calories which is why I need the replacement. I'd pass out without it.AHHHH!!! Then may I suggest that you change the skating day or your gym day so that you're doing skating one day and gym the next?

If you can't do that, the other option I have is to fit in a small meal in between skating and your gym workout. Bring a sandwich and healthy drink (milk, water, clear tea, FRESH FRUIT juice if you really need some sort of drink that's sweet...but it has to be 100% juice and NO SUGARS!!! And of course, I don't need to mention this but... try not to have any sodas too!!!)I'm not a Gatorade or G2 person. I have maybe a little VitaminWater on occasions but I usually just have water or clear tea (no sugar in the tea!)

ALL my trainers and dietitians have advocated that it's best to always try to eat REAL foods rather than stuff like sports drinks and bars and yes, there's something to be said for getting your vitamins and minerials thru REAL foods, so I feel comfortable suggesting the same for you.

kander
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
AHHHH!!! Then may I suggest that you change the skating day or your gym day so that you're doing skating one day and gym the next?

If you can't do that, the other option I have is to fit in a small meal in between skating and your gym workout. Bring a sandwich and healthy drink (milk, water, clear tea, FRESH FRUIT juice if you really need some sort of drink that's sweet...but it has to be 100% juice and NO SUGARS!!! And of course, I don't need to mention this but... try not to have any sodas too!!!)I'm not a Gatorade or G2 person. I have maybe a little VitaminWater on occasions but I usually just have water or clear tea (no sugar in the tea!)

ALL my trainers and dietitians have advocated that it's best to always try to eat REAL foods rather than stuff like sports drinks and bars and yes, there's something to be said for getting your vitamins and minerials thru REAL foods, so I feel comfortable suggesting the same for you.

I eat too. I just need the fluid replacement and something to keep me from feeling faint or nauseated. I'm completely soaked before I'm halfway through my skate, let alone at the gym. I usually enjoy all the excercise, but it's not for everybody.

BTW, for building muscle is it best to eat before or after? For performance obviously you would need to get your energy from food a couple hours before.

Skittl1321
06-01-2008, 08:19 PM
I think I'd just go with whichever you think tastes better. The actual calorie count in Gatorade is pretty low- compared to any other caloric drink- especially if you have that sort of workout and are drinking water too.

I think G2 is more for people who drink Gatorade not when working out, but just as a soda replacement. It's for the casual market, not necessarily the sports market- though it works there as well too. (I used to have a habit of always drinking powerade on a road trip- even though water would have been much better for me. I think it's those drinkers that G2 is aimed at)

jazzpants
06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I eat too. I just need the fluid replacement and something to keep me from feeling faint or nauseated. I'm completely soaked before I'm halfway through my skate, let alone at the gym. I usually enjoy all the excercise, but it's not for everybody.Yeah, I know what you mean. There was a time where I actually had to do this b/c of my busy schedule. I've found though that in the end, it's counter-productive! I'd rather take the time to rest and recover (which should also be part of your training routine too...)

BTW, for building muscle is it best to eat before or after? For performance obviously you would need to get your energy from food a couple hours before.BOTH!!! It's a matter of WHAT you eat and timing!!! You want to go with simple carbs BEFORE you work out for energy and protein AFTER your workout for muscle repair.

The other reason I think you should stick with REAL foods -- it's cheaper and works just as well if not better than those protein bars and shakes!!! :twisted: :P

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I like either G2 or powerade zero. For pre- or post-workouts, i try to get a 50/50 carb protein snack. Peanut butter on bread, etc. Something to tide me over and keep me from getting nauseated. It doesn't have to be fancy.