View Full Version : Instructors and Assistants

Isk8NYC
05-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Most skating schools have "helpers" or "assistants" for the lower-level group lessons. Having an assistant during the first few lessons, until the skaters get their balance, is very valuable.

For inexperienced assistants, I usually do a bit of train-the-trainer work, explaining the exercises drills and skills to them as a side note while I'm getting the skaters to do the work. I'll also have them "lead the class" through the moves while I work with the skaters who need extra help.

Experienced assistants, I ask to teach certain moves from week to week. I like to learn other people's teaching ideas and analogies. I learned one this year that I'd never heard for getting up off the ice after a fall. Others on this board probably know it, but it was new to me and it's charming. The younger kids love it - something about "look in the window, bang on the window..."

How do other instructors work with their assistants?

vesperholly
05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I learned one this year that I'd never heard for getting up off the ice after a fall. Others on this board probably know it, but it was new to me and it's charming. The younger kids love it - something about "look in the window, bang on the window..."
I'd love to hear more on this one, I've got a few boys in my one class that just can NOT get up. I've tried every trick I know!! :giveup:

I usually have my assistants work with the "odd man out" - the skater who's outpacing or can't follow the class. That way, they're not ignored and I don't have to dumb it down for the rest of the class.