View Full Version : Mountain Cup

LibraJen
05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Just wondered where everyone else is staying for the Mountain Cup? I'm at Le Centre, is anyone else staying there?

Jen

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I think most people take apartments at the Résidence Le Diamant; we certainly stay there most years, and are doing so again this year. It's not the cheapest, but it does have the huge benefit of having a jacuzzi, where we all meet up after skating! And last year we all sat in the hall in front of the fire, with our laptops....

Those who don't stay at Le Diamant often stay at Le Dauphin or Le Gerbier, both of which are across the road from the rink.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you on Monday; I've worked out from the list who you must be.....

ETA as long as it hasn't closed for its holidays, I expect people who arrive by Sunday night will probably eat at Le Fairway restaurant, again very near the rink.... We probably will; and there are one or two other restaurants we like, too.

blue111moon
05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm getting in on Saturday afternoon/evening (depending upon which bus we make from Grenoble and getting settled at Le Diamant. When is everyone else getting in?

CrystalIce
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Im going too, with the Oxford lot!! We are staying at Le Diamant as well..should be getting to Villard early sunday afternoon...Im really looking forward to meeting everyone-The mountain cup is also my very first competition! x

Mrs Redboots
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
We'll arrive sometime on Sunday - we're coming the scenic route, leaving early on Friday morning, spending Friday night in Vichy (which will be a lovely long drive) and Saturday night in Le Puy en Velay, to give us a chance to look round the Auvergne, which we rather fell in love with last year.

Where shall we eat Sunday night if the Fairway is closed?

Crystalice, you have chosen the best competition in the world (well, I haven't been to Peach Classic, to be fair!) to break your duck at! And we'll all be there for you.

mintypoppet
05-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Travelling to Le Diamant with CrystalIce and several other Oxford skaters. Can't wait 8-)

LibraJen
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm getting in on Saturday afternoon/evening (depending upon which bus we make from Grenoble and getting settled at Le Diamant. When is everyone else getting in?

I fly into Grenoble Sunday morning and land about 1pm... 3 days to go!

See you all very soon. Now, to decide what else to pack....:giveup:

Mrs Redboots
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
See you all very soon. Now, to decide what else to pack....:giveup:Blankets and thick sweaters if it's anything like last year! But then again, it might be boiling hot and you'll want T-shirts and shorts..... forecast is for showers and fairly mild, but the rink can be very cold if it's wet. Layers! And something warm to skate in for the Thursday evening party, which hasn't been on ice before, so that should be different. I die for the New York Ice Theatre, don't you?

chowskates
05-28-2008, 08:31 PM
And something warm to skate in for the Thursday evening party, which hasn't been on ice before, so that should be different. I die for the New York Ice Theatre, don't you?

*sigh* makes me want to go all over again... :cry:

Have fun, everyone!!

coskater64
05-29-2008, 12:20 AM
I am currently in OD with Liz, Jodie and Century. The weather yesterday was beautiful and it is supposed to be near 90 today. We all have cold weather gear but not a lot in the way of shorts. I get to VDL on Sunday evening, staying at the Gerbier this year, instead of Dauphine, but over the bar is handy.:D

LibraJen
05-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Blankets and thick sweaters if it's anything like last year! But then again, it might be boiling hot and you'll want T-shirts and shorts..... forecast is for showers and fairly mild, but the rink can be very cold if it's wet. Layers! And something warm to skate in for the Thursday evening party, which hasn't been on ice before, so that should be different. I die for the New York Ice Theatre, don't you?

Yes, layers sounds like a good idea to me. I've seen photos from last year and everyone looks quite well wrapped up! But I'm going on to Avignon and Bordeaux afterwards so I'll be hoping for some sunshine there at least.

I've heard interesting things about the Ice Theatre of New York so I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to what I've heard!

Thin-Ice
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Have a GREAT time everyone.. Skate well, smile and enjoy your performances!

blue111moon
05-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm packing tonight - with a little of everything. Fortunately, being from New England, I'm used to dressing for changeable weather. :)

Hopefully, though, since we're a week later than last year, it will be a bit more like spring or even summer than it was last year.

And, since I heading to London afterward, I'm praying that the weather there will be better than last year's incessant rain. Not just for the sake of my sightseeing, either; that flooding the Brits suffered last year was scary.

Mrs Redboots
05-29-2008, 09:17 AM
The forecasts are very varied - one site says weather in the 20s, another says only in the high teens. Meanwhile they all agree that there will be showers.

I am acting on the assumption that it will be cold watching the skating next weekend, but reasonable during the week! Two thick sweaters should be enough.... and three blankets and the lap rug I was knitting during the British Championships in January.....

And my suitcase is closed (just!)! I still have quite a lot of things to do before we leave, but can relax for now.

See you all there, if you're coming!

2loop2loop
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I get into Grenoble late on Sunday evening. Too late for the last bus to Villard unfortunately, so I am spending the first night in Grenoble and getting the bus up the mountain in time for the start of camp. Can't wait!