View Full Version : Music suggestions for programme

abbi_1990
05-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi, im looking for music for my 1st skating programme. It needs to be 1min30 but i can cut it down. It has to be instrumental. I have no ideas and need to find something within the next 24 hours! So im getting pretty deperate lol. Anyone have any suggestions?

SynchroSk8r114
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I had a girl skate to a 1:30 program to the music from The Color Purple. I think I still have a cut of it that I may be able to e-mail to you if interested.

I had another girl skate to "Mambo Swing" by the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. It's very upbeat and fast. I think I may have a cut of it somewhere, which I can again send to you.

Last suggestion is a 1:30 cut I have from West Side Story. Starts out slow to "Tonight" and picks up pace before switching to a brief section from "America."

PM if interested.

Gina10179202
05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2ljWwIaHs

This is pretty; Comptine d'un autre ete, l'apres midi-Yann Tiersen.
Here is a cut I made of it (1:30)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7xkj11

You don't have to use it :D

Also, if you need any music cutting I will be happy to help.

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I can offer you the cut of Bohemian Rhapsody that Husband used for two years.

abbi_1990
05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the offer of help cutting music Gina, i might come back to you on that once i have chosen the music im going to use cus iv never cut music before.

I can offer you the cut of Bohemian Rhapsody that Husband used for two years.

yes please - do you have it on the computer? i could PM you my email adress or do you have a web link?

so far this is what i have come up with:

Tchaikovsky: sleeping beauty waltz

Tchaikovsky: waltz of the flowers

Malartin: Butterfly waltz

Anastasia soundtrack

Doctor zhivago soundtrack

Out of Africa soundtrack

and a cool cut of 2 songs from West Side story :) Thanks SynchroSk8er114

I dont want it to be cheesy and i hate making decisions lol so this is hard for me!

Anyone got any comments on the list above?

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the offer of help cutting music Gina, i might come back to you on that once i have chosen the music im going to use cus iv never cut music before.

yes please - do you have it on the computer? i could PM you my email adress or do you have a web link?

Anastasia soundtrack

Out of Africa soundtrack

I dont want it to be cheesy and i hate making decisions lol so this is hard for me!

PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

I'd go with it, or the Malartin, or the Out of Africa - the other things on your list have been overused. Which may not be a bad thing - at least the judges will know the music - but can be "yawn, yawn", and another skater might have chosen the same thing.

doubletoe
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Anastasia soundtrack

Out of Africa soundtrack

Trust me, the judges have probably already heard every piece of music that is remotely skate-able, so don't worry too much about choosing something that hasn't been used much. The most important thing is that you feel like you can handle the pace and style of the music and just as importantly, that YOU won't mind hearing it hundreds of times!

The first program I ever did (for my Adult Bronze freestyle test) was the main theme from Doctor Zhivago. It was straight off the soundtrack, with no editing, and it was just under 1:30. I think it might have been "Lara Says Goodbye to Yuri" (track 26, 1:28). I thought it worked well because the pace was slow enough to keep up with, but the melody is so beautiful and memorable that it wasn't boring. It also didn't require difficult moves to interpret. I got positive feedback from the judges, with one of them even complimenting the music/interpretation.

ibreakhearts66
05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Animated movies generaly have really good music. Ratatouille has some great stuff, as does Horton Hears A Who.

Although these are overused, Bond and Maksim (Bond is a geroup, not the movie) have good pieces too, although some pieces overused. My current program is "Tchaikovsky Remixed" by Edvin Marton. He has god stuff too.

You can also look at albums by different Pops orchestras (Boston pops comes to mind, but there are obviously other good ones too). They do orchestral versions of popular songs, whether it be movie themes, broadway songs, or rock songs.

As for music cutting, a lot of coaches wil cut your music for you, at least at lower levels. The elite skaters all get them professionally cut, but you or your coach (or a musically and computer inclined friend) can do a fine job too.

sk8lady
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
For soundtracks, I like the music from the "Narnia" movies and I haven't heard anyone else use the music (I used it last year for an exhibition).

Most of Loreena McKennitt's music is interesting and different--both Celtic and Middle Eastern (I used one of her pieces at AN this year.).

One of my students skated to the Bach Minuet in G Major this year and the judges loved it. Very simple piece and easy to cut because of the repeats.

abbi_1990
05-28-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks for you suggestions so far everyone. My list is getting longer!

only 6 hours left to decide!

Gina10179202
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM
The Out Of Africa soundtrack is lovely.

When you have chosen and if you would like a hand with cutting let me know what parts you particularly like:)

luckeylasvegas
05-29-2008, 02:00 AM
I love the sound track from the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played !

onlyhappyonice
05-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Pearl harbour - love theme by hans zimmer

you can hear it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOdUnjKjuY

jazzpants
05-29-2008, 03:07 AM
OH OH!!! If I had some ice dance lessons on the waltz... this would have been an interesting choice to go with my Freida B dress!!! :D (It's classical, has a flower theme and definitely skateable!!!)

But man, my coaches will tell me that it's waaaaay overplayed anyway... :frus:

Thin-Ice
05-29-2008, 07:06 AM
OH OH!!! If I had some ice dance lessons on the waltz... this would have been an interesting choice to go with my Freida B dress!!! :D (It's classical, has a flower theme and definitely skateable!!!)

But man, my coaches will tell me that it's waaaaay overplayed anyway... :frus:

Yep... that's EXACTLY what your coaches would say... are you looking for something to wear with that GORGEOUS dress? Or are you saving it for one of your next programs?

jazzpants
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Yep... that's EXACTLY what your coaches would say... are you looking for something to wear with that GORGEOUS dress? Or are you saving it for one of your next programs?I'm looking for a program to go with the dress, yes. But if not, then at least one of my other dresses that I still have hanging in my closet. I just want to get as much use out of my old competition dresses as possible for now. I just don't want to buy yet another dress if I could. :P