View Full Version : show/exhibition in competitions

peanutskates
05-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm going to be in a competition in September, competing at Level 1. I've jsut had the idea of also getting a routine for the Show part. Do you guys know if you can do Show with higher elements than those of the tests you've passed?

e.g
I've only tested sal and toe, scratch spin and sitspin
Can I have a Show routine with flip, lutz, pancake spin?

thanks

Skittl1321
05-25-2008, 01:08 PM
You need to read the competition announcements to determine what rules will be applied. Is this an ISI or USFSA competition (or some entirely different governing body?) That's going to be a factor.

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
You must read the instructions on the schedules. If it just says, as so often in this country, "Skaters are required to skate a 2-minute Exhibition-style programme", then you can put in whatever you like, as long as it stays in character and is suitable to your routine. Husband, oddly, is just discussing this very issue on the phone with another of the Committee in relation to the judges sheets for our forthcoming Club competition!

Your coach will probably encourage you to put in things you are good at, rather than things you struggle with. Talk with him/her, and get their help with choreography.

BatikatII
05-27-2008, 06:16 AM
For most UK exhibition classes you can put in anything you like but remember the technical part counts for only 1 of the judges marks (out of 5 or 6 judges) and that the judges also do an 'entertainment' mark so your technical content only counts for about a tenth or so of the total marks.

Having said that, if you can do them well and they contribute to the character of the programme then you can put them in but if they are at all likely to go wrong in a competiton scenario then you are best off to put in somethign else you can be sure of doing well. The last thing you want is an element not to work and spoil the flow of your programme.

On the other hand if you just want to try the elements out and see how well they work in competiton then it's an ideal place to put them in!