View Full Version : Skate/Dance Shops In London?

Helen88
05-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I've had an incredibly frustrating day :evil:.

I've scoured London high and low for a skating skirt - nothing fancy, just a plain black one. I tried Gandolfi on Marylebone Road, Skate Attack in Southgate, Dancia International on Drury Lane and Sansha and Capulet, also on Drury Lane. I've hopped back and forth from each, hunted the department stores on Oxford Street and come back with NOTHING.

I'm not built like a dancer - I'm tall and broad-shouldered but I couldn't find anything suitable. All the skirts I liked came without built in shorts/briefs, and we couldn't find any on their own to sew in, all the leotards didn't fit across the shoulders...it was incredibly frustrating :x. And my rink doesn't have a shop. I'm thinking of getting one made up, but that's liable to take a while, and ideally I'd like it soon. Plus, I'm not really happy ordering off the internet/making one, as it's my first piece of proper skating apparel and I'm not sure of sizing/durability/material/etc.

Any advice anyone? It would be grately appreciated :frus:

Gina10179202
05-24-2008, 01:02 PM
http://www.lonskate.com/

Did you try London Skate Centre? I went there to get my boots, but it didn't look like there were many dresses/skirts in there, unless they have a back room or something.

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2008, 03:09 PM
You don't really need built-in knickers - just get a pair of black full briefs from M&S or a Sloggi full brief from your local department store, and wear them on top of your tights.

There is Skate Attack somewhere in North London - mostly hockey, but does a few bits and pieces. Don't have the address, but Google will probably know

It's also worth asking around at your rink where other skaters get theirs from.

Gina10179202
05-24-2008, 03:55 PM
That reminds me, I used to skate in a skirt made for some other sport, and cut the legs off some black tights and wear those. It looked pretty realistic. And the skirt was much nicer than the ones on offer at the rink.

Helen88
05-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Oooh I like the tights idea...I'll have to try that!

Re: Skate Attack - tried that, but their dressmaker is ill and not making anything at the minute. Nothing on the rack that would fit either - all glittery things that'd fit around one leg :)

Thanks all :)

RoaringSkates
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
...Nothing on the rack that would fit either - all glittery things that'd fit around one leg :)

Oh, I know that feeling.

Here in the US, I've had great success with FriedaB: http://www.freidab.com/

Obviously, they're of little use to you in London, but I post them for people in N. America who read this thread and would like both off-the-shelf and custom-made items that fit people who, when normally are confronted by skating apparel, end up with "glittery things that'd fit around one leg."

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
One good place over here is Inside Edge Fashions (http://www.insideedgefashions.co.uk/). Pat and Lin well understand the female form and make clothes to fit real skaters! You can ring them up to discuss your requirements.