View Full Version : Getting to know you as a skater.

FSWer
05-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Say,we haven't updated a "getting to know you as a skater" thread lately,and since I know we have some new members who are skaters or brand-new skaters. I thought I'd put this up. As with the "getting to know you" thread. You'll find a servy. I will try not to get too personal. So here's goes...

Age Group = 40 -41

Level = LTS.= Learn To Skate

Discipline(S) =

Years skating = 1

Do you compete? If so,please give a short distription about the competitions you've been in.

Do you skate for fun? = Just tell about how Your
progressing.= I just want to say that as a LTS. my coach started me off. But I finally learned myself to put speed on my skating,and I'm very proud of myself!!!

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do = I got hooked of Skating by seeing it on TV.,etc.

What it's like for you as a skater = I myself find it feels soooooooo good. I mean.....to think of myself as a skater at this point is really COOL!!!!

Test pasted =

SynchroSk8r114
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Age group:
Twenties; I'm 22 years old.

Level:
Novice freestyle; Gold dance; passed Senior MIF in 2005.

Discipline(s):
Freestyle and dance; have two years synchro experience at collegiate level.

Years skating:
It'll be 14 years this June!

Do you compete? If so, please give a short description about the competitions you've been in.
I used to until I was 13 years old. I competed locally and won some regionals (South Atlantics) when I was younger. I also competed at intercollegiate competitions during my college years, as well as synchro competitions. My team was the open collegiate Eastern silver medalists this past year!

Do you skate for fun (just tell about how you're progressing):
Skating is always fun even though I'm not a recreational skater. I'm working on testing my last four Gold dances, as well as currently putting together my Novice free style program so that I can hopefully test that sometime this year...OK, waaay later this year, LOL!

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do:
Began in LTS classes with a friend of mine who was taking them for hockey. I just kind of stuck with it from there. I've been doing freestyle (Novice level), dance (Gold level), synchro (two years at the collegiate level), and I passed my Senior MIF back in 2005. I've also been coaching for close to eight years. I teach group and private lessons, and have assisted with my rink's synchro teams (teams include Intermediate, Pre-Juv, and Preliminary level). I absolutely love coaching!

What it's like for you as a skater:
Hmm...how do I sum up 14 years of skating, LOL?! ;)

Test pasted:
Passed Senior MIF in 2005. Now working on getting through my last four Gold dances. I also just passed my Intermediate freestyle on 4/30/08, so now I'm getting things together for my Novice.

Skittl1321
05-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Age Group = 20-30

Level = USFSA PreBronze, USFSA FS3, ISI FS3

Discipline(S) = singles, synchro ice dance (sort of)

Years skating = 2

Do you compete? Yes. I've competed at two competitions ISI Synchro Nationals, and at a local ISI competition.

Do you skate for fun? Yep. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it.

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do = I always wanted to skate as a little girl, and decided to start when I needed a hobby after I got married. I got into synchro because that was another thing I wanted to do when I was little, and our rink has an adult team and my first Iowa friend convinced me to join. I just started ice dance because I decided I needed a new outlet of skating- I don't like to jump, so I don't think I'll go too far in freestyle. (I'm not giving it up through because I love spinning.)

What it's like for you as a skater = It's really nice because I can see a good level of progress. I feel like I'm actually getting better- and that's kind of cool.

Test pasted = Pre-Bronze Free, Pre-Bronze MITF, and Basic 3, 4, 7, 8, ISI Delta, Freeskate 1, 2, 3

WhiteBoots30
05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
[COLOR="Black"]Age: 42

Level: I compete at adult silver level

Discipline(s): Freestyle and solo dance

Years skating: 12 free and 3 dance

Do you compete? If so, please give a short description about the competitions you've been in: Yes - British Adult Championships in free and solo dance, Bracknell Adult Opens (free and dance), Oxford seniors and Bristol Adult Opens (dance). So far more medals in dance even though I spend most of my practise time free skating!

Do you skate for fun? Yes - or I wouldn't skate.

Began in mother and toddler classes with my daughter - enrolled so that she could learn to skate well enough for me to let go of her and skate myself! (Now she's far better than me!) Loved watching skating on TV as a child and wanted to skate ever since reading 'White Boots' by Noel Streatfield. Never considered anything but free skating - I assumed dance was only for couples. From the start I loved jumping and I only took up dance because there were virtually no opportunities for adult free skaters to compete in the UK. Solo dance gave me the chance to work at overcoming competition nerves as there are a few more competitions.

Well I am totally obsessed. I skate 6 days a week and would do more but my body complains if I do! Skating provides a never ending set of goals, a great sense of achievement when I master a new element or survive a competition, new friends from all over the place and much needed exercise (skating is the only exercise that I've stuck to for any length of time because I enjoy it so much). It also has provided lack of sleep due to early mornings, terror at competitions, frustration when things won't work and horrible looking ankles!

Test pasted:
Uk NISA level 4 elements, 3 free, 6 (actually took the old bronze test) field moves , 3 compulsory dance, 1 variation and 4 free dance

Gina10179202
05-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Age group:
Teens, I am 13.

Level:
N/A at the moment. Unofficially about NISA 3, maybe 4. (English Levels)

Discipline(s):
Figure

Years skating:

Do you compete? If so, please give a short description about the competitions you've been in.
I guess you could say I do, but because of lack of a coach until last week I have only been able to enter 1 so far, where I landed axel and came first. I am doing another one on 24th/25th June, I hope.

I skate because if I didn't my life would be a dull pit of nothing. I guess you could call that fun.

I watched Ice Princess and went to some public sessions, then had some group lessons and finally got a coach last week.

It's been a year of bliss; I haven't ever loved something like skating.

Test pasted:
N/A at the moment.

Helen88
05-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Age group:
Teens - just 14

Level:
Working towards my NISA Level 1 Field Moves test, also working on NISA Level 1 elements.

Discipline(s):
Freestyle/singles/ladies/whateverit'scalled

Years skating:
1 1/2

Never. I hope to one day though.

I love skating. It's the only time where I have to REALLY focus on what I'm doing, and that means I can block out everything else that's going on. It keeps me (relatively ;) ) sane.

Went when I was about 9...then went to a few public sessions and loved it. I remember how proud I was when I stood on one foot for more than a few seconds!! And Dancing on Ice played a huge part in encouraging me to go for it. Then my friend got her own skates...so I did. Then my friend started LTS...so I (after much begging) did. Then my friend got privates...so (after MORE begging) I did. She gave up after doing level 2 in Learn to Skate...I'm still going and loving every second :)

The best feeling...it's like being free from yourself.

Test pasted:
Passed all 10 levels of Learn to Skate (Skate UK), hoping to pass my first NISA test!

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Age Group: 50s Horribly nearly nearer 60 than 50!

Level: Elementary/pre-Bronze/Under Level 4, whatever you care to call it.

Discipline(S): Dance, some solo dance

Years skating: 13

Do you compete? Yes. Too many to name!

Do you skate for fun? Yes

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do: Daughter went on a course with her school and got hooked, and we ended up taking her, and then taking classes.... and back then, my first coach reckoned that Adults Only Did Dance, which wasn't actually true, even then, but....

What it's like for you as a skater: Frustrating!

Test passed: NISA Level 3 Compulsory Dance, Level 2 Moves and Level 1 Free Dance

Amandaskategirl
05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Age Group: 22

Level: working on axel/ doubles but cannot do them

Discipline(S): free skating

Years skating: about 8 I think

Do you compete? Did RIDLs and 3 adult comps a couple of years ago. Would like to do some more.

Do you skate for fun? Yes

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do: Not really sure! Grew up looking at my mum's green ice skates which she had from when she was a kid although she never had lessons. I was fascinated by the skates although didn't live near an ice rink. Between about age 9-13 I loved ballet but didn't like the strict school I went to and the competitiveness of the other girls. Started children's LTS classes and immediately felt that what I like about ballet, I could get from skating plus more. Unknowingly found myself doing ice dance when I started with a coach and did know there was a difference, then had lessons with a show skater, before discovering what I like best was free. Had a dabble at synchro too.

What it's like for you as a skater: Fun but I wish I was better at it!

Test passed: NISA tests:
Free: level 1 - 3 elements and programme
Dance: level 1 - 4 compulsory dances, level 1 and 2 free dance, level 4 variation
Field Moves: novice, prelim, interbronze, level 5
Synchro: level 1 and 2.

jcookie1982
05-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Age group:
Twenties; 25

Level:
ISI freestyle 3, I haven't tested USFSA, but i'm working on pre bronze MIF and freestyle

Discipline(s):
Freestyle and synchro

Years skating:

Do you compete? I've done 2 sychro competitions (Easterns and Porter.)

Do you skate for fun (just tell about how you're progressing):I skate for fun
Started in LTS. Always wanted to try synchro, so finally I found a team and tried out.
challenging

Test pasted:
ISI Freestyle 2

RinkRat321
05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Age group:
teens, 16

Level:
pre juv

Discipline(s):
singles

Years skating:

Yes I do! I love competing. I've only done a couple of competitions but so far most have them have gone pretty well

Yes? I mean, thats part of why I skate

I went to a public session with my friend and saw a figure skater in the middle doing spins and jumps and I was amazed so I asked my mom to sign me up as soon as I left the session hah.

Amazing. I haven't known anything that's ever made me feel so happy. I just can't even explain it I love skating so much.

Test pasted:
up to pre juv moves :)

singerskates
05-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Age group:
Fourties; 45 turning 46 July 10th Goodby Class 2
Level: FS working on passing Prelim (sometime this summer), working on Junior Bronze Dances, compete Introductory Interpretive.

Discipline(s):
Freestyle and Interpretive

Years skating:
7 with a year and half of sick and injured interuption which caused me to have to restart like I never skated before. Was to have passed my prelim FS and last prelim dance just before injury and illness ruined everything.

Do you compete? If so, please give a short description about the competitions you've been in.: Yes, I compete. I've competed in 4 of the 5 Adult Championships that Skate Canada has had so far. Skate Canada WOS Boston Pizza StarSkate Sectionals in the adult categories, Pat Abela, Great Lakes, Thornhill Fun Competition (when they still had adult events), North American Adult Invitational (until the last few years when Boston Pizza and NAAI were the same weekend), Ann Arbour Spring Skate (only once so far).

Well, yeah! I love the learning of new elements, love to create new music pieces for myself and putting together new programs. It's great to start feeling I'm about to get the elements back I lost when I got injured/sick; loop is just about clean, flip is next and then lutz. Can't wait until the Axel attempts and the 2 Sals come back. Thinking about learning the flying sit. Just have to make sure my coach is no where near me when I compete because he's so funny, my legs go to jello and I splat down to the grown. Maybe that's why I couldn't take off on my Salchow yesterday?

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do: Started watching skating on TV after I caught the 1994 Olympics on TV and saw Elvis Stojko and Nancy Kerrigan skate. Followed skating on TV (on US stations so I had no clue about what was know as the Canadian Figure Skating Association (Skate Canada now)) as a coach potato when Stojko said something like "If people think it's easy, they should try it for themselves." So then I began with roller blading and a year later, started on the ice with a group of past skaters called Ol' Dollies learning to skate forwards and backwards. After breaking my elbow in the summer of 1999, I joined my first skating club and was placed in the High CanSkate Class for 3 or 4 months. For more info go to http://www.fs4christ.com/aboutme.html Founded Competitive Adult Skaters Yahoo Group (http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/compadultsk8s) in 2004.

The last few years felt like a waste being that I wasn't getting very far in my skating. But now that I've left the most recent club I was with and am not pre-occupied with doing their website, forms, being their media consultant and spending more time teaching through so called PAing skating, I'm finally on the ice learning for myself with my coach without having to rent extra ice time just to be able to get his coaching. Now skating is just plain fun. Freedom, I said freedom......!

Test pasted:
testing last Prelim dance next Friday and will pass, passed Introductory Interpretive FS

Morgail
05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Age Group: 20-something, nearing 30 ;)

Level: Adult Silver Free, Preliminary Dance

Discipline(S): Singles, Solo Dance

Years skating: 16(!), with a nearly 10 year break between years 14 and 15

Do you compete? If so,please give a short distription about the competitions you've been in: Not since i was a kid. But I would like to start competing again. I'd really like to compete in Gold at ANs someday.

Do you skate for fun? = Just tell about how Your
progressing.= Pretty good, I suppose. I definitely skate for the fun of it. I'm happy with how far I've come since I started skating again. I'm very happy with how I've recovered from my ankle injury last fall.

How you got into skating and the Discipline(s) you do: My mom took me skating when I was 3, and that's how I started ;) I don't ever remember not being able to skate. I only did singles and precision team as a kid. My current coach suggested I start dance to help with presentation, edges, etc.

What it's like for you as a skater: Financially, it is incredibly difficult. I've deferred paying for student loans that I could easily pay for if I weren't skating. Time-wise, it's difficult. Skating clubs cater to kids, not adults with 8-5 jobs - particularly in the summer. But it's all worth it. I love skating so much, and I can't imagine my life without it. I feel healthy and accomplished. And I've lost 34 lbs :D

Test pasted: Adult Silver Moves, Adult Silver Free, Preliminary Dance. And ISI Freestyle 4.