View Full Version : New Course in Ice Artistry – ‘Innovations on Ice: Modern Ice Dancing & Performance’

iceartist
05-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Hey Everybody! I’m trying to get the word out that the Performers House (Denmark) has a few openings for students to take part in an exciting new endeavor to expand the genre of ice skating artistry. We call it ‘Innovations on Ice’ as the goal is to investigate and further possibilities for performance on ice.

The foundation of this course is the belief that ice-skating is more than competition or entertainment show skating – beyond jumps and spins, lights and costumes. Ice artistry is a genre with even greater possibilities waiting to be developed and explored – a genre that transcends pre-defined expectations of what ‘should’ be and traditional ideas of what is valuable.

Inspiration for the curriculum stems from the modern dance world, but reaches further and embraces other art forms as well. Modern dance provides the path into building a strong foundation in both technique and innovative artistic development, while by applying connections to and building relationships with other art forms - such as music, theatre and visual art - ice skating investigations are further broadened and enriched.

I am so excited about the potential of this program as it joins in the endeavor to provide an additional place for the talent, skills and creativity of ice skaters. My education in Modern Dance (from New York University and Ohio State University) and experiences as a principle performer with Ice Theatre of New York and as a coach to numerous competitive figure skaters, have proved to me the validity, importance and potential of this kind of work. I have seen first-hand how fulfilling, moving and inspiring artistic ice-skating is – for both performer and audience. But I KNOW there is so much more that can be done – so much further to go! And I know I’m not alone in feeling this way!

If any of what I’ve said sounds at all interesting, you should most definitely contact me! My main goal is to build a community of people who are willing to share their skills, creativity and individuality toward a structured development of this art form. It’s been more than a decade where I have actively pursued my interest in artistic ice-skating, but really a life-long endeavor as I stepped on the ice for the first time when I was three years old. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to share what I’ve learned and to combine this with the knowledge of others. I look forward to engaging in dialogue about this topic and some challenging but truly fulfilling work (both on and off the ice)!

To find out more, you can either email me at Alyssa@melsen.com or visit the school’s website: http://www.performershouse.dk/ . The main site is in Danish but in the upper right-hand corner you can find the link to the English translation.

Hope to hear from you!

Sincerely,
Alyssa.