View Full Version : back to skating

ic3ang3l
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
so i haven't skated in half a year. at all.
and im feeling skting withdrawls =P

is skating like bike-riding?
something you dont forget?

Skittl1321
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I think it depends what level you were at. Recreational skating I think is a lot like bike riding. I took about a 15 year break and my swizzles and wiggles and one foot glides were right where I left them.

Advanced skating I don't think is like that. I'm not sure an axel will wait for you.

But I hope you transition back into it smoothly! Good luck!

littlerain
05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
i'm hoping to go back too, after about a year off. (I'm kind of afraid to, though, cause I always get embarrassed that everyone else is so young, and i never really got very far in my skating!) Prior to that, I hadn't skated (more than recreationally) since I was 12 or 13, (so... 7ish years?) It took me only a few weeks to get back all of the basics, with only skating once a week or so.

A friend of mine who had skated when she was younger and quit around 13 is still able to skate very well - she can do a relatively decent single loop, as well as a scratch spin (at least that I"ve seen in our trips to the bryant park ice rink last winter, lol) She's 19 now, so that's been about 6 years!

I think the elements that you were best at or practiced the most tend to stick with you and need less practice - at least that's how it seems to me...

Good luck and let me know how it goes! I think i need a little encouragement! :oops:

jcookie1982
05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I just went back to skating after having a baby. Its been a year, and I can't say that I'm exactly where I left off, but I can basically still do everything, just not as good.

ibreakhearts66
05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
i was off the ice for like 2.5 years having surgeries to my knee and ankle, and things did come back fairly quickly. all of my basics were definitely still there, and the doubles all came back within a few months (landed axels right away, albeit not pretty ones, but axels nonetheless)

Kim to the Max
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I had not skated seriously for about 9 years or so when I put my skates back on again in September...I had skated maybe once every 6 months or so, and I'm sure there were entire years when I did not lace them up, yet they traveled with me everywhere I moved to (even the summer I spent at an internship in Allentown, PA)....

I found that on the first day I had a lesson, I was a bit timid, but after that, pretty much everything has come back and I am starting to work on some new things and trying to land things I started but never had consistent as a kid (axel, double sal...)...

I do skate 5-6 times a week, so I think that also has a lot to do with how quickly everything came back...

I would say that if you want to go back to it, you just need to jump off the deep end and do it...I spent too much time thinking about coming back to skating and not actually skating...I should have done this a year earlier than I did, and I am sorry that I didn't, although things are working out just fine :)

So, as Nike would say, just do it :)