View Full Version : Ordered the new blades

Skittl1321
05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
and am now second guessing myself.

I ordered the Ultima Lite. They have a similiar toepick to the skate I'm on now, and a very helpful salesperson at rainbo sports convinced me that they were a good intermediate level blade. (Then I felt bad, because I wasn't buying the blades at Rainbo since I get a rink discount and ordered new tights online to make sure I "thanked" them for their help)

After I placed the order, I almost changed it and went with the Paramount, one of the coaches at my rink said he doesn't like the sounds of the Ultima and that all of his skaters were on Paramounts, and would really recommend them. The Lite's were $170, so it would be quite a bit more. So now I'm wondering if I should cancel the order and get Paramounts instead. The rink probably won't get around to placing it for awhile...

So now my fingers are crossed that these work for me. After seeing the toepick on the Protege I'm scared of how big Ultima's toepick is- but it seems like it's just something you get used to while getting used to the rest of the feel of the blade- right?

jp1andOnly
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
i have ultima blades, however I have the supremes. those have a wicked toe pick. I've loved my ultima's since the day I put them on.

Skittl1321
05-21-2008, 10:19 AM
It makes me happy to hear you like the Ultimas.

I'm so worried I made the wrong choice- that I should have spent the extra money for the paramounts- but I think the Lite is a good intermediate blade and it was definetly in my price range, where the paramount was well out of it.

It just seems like a lot of people think the Ultimas are low quality blade- but I'm beginning to think that's because most peoples experience is only with the Mark IV and Mirage- which ARE low quality blades.

phoenix
05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I think the Paramount blades are loud! (as in, they make more noise on the ice) ;)

jp1andOnly
05-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll tell you this much. Elvis used Ultima's...actually my brother switched to ultima's as well and had Elvis's first ever pair of them. He has stuck with them all along.

quarkiki2
05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I think you will be fine! Plus, your blades will be prettier than mine, so I already have blade envy...

Stormy
05-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I do love the look of the Lites, but after all the problems I've had with my Ultimas, I won't get another pair. I really want to try the Paramounts myself....although if they really are that noisy....? I don't know. I really should just go back to my tried and true combination of Reidells and Wilson blades!

AxelBaby
05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I actually found that the paramounts made my general skating more quiet than my previous Gam blades.