View Full Version : Adults National 2009 : "Grand Rapids or Bust" Support Group

jazzpants
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I just wanted to start this tradition again for those who are working towards passing those tests in time to go to Grand Rapids, MI in 2009...

I will rip off the beginning notes from when I started this thread in 2005 (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=13709).

Backspin trouble? Power 3's giving you the FITS!?!?! Loop jump disappearing on you? This group is for YOU!!! (Of course all level are welcome to join in on the discussion, but the aim is to support skaters who are STUCK in pre-Bronze and are trying hard this year to become eligible for Adults Nationals.)

I just went to my very FIRST Adults Nationals this year in Lake Placid and Terri C just recently passed her Bronze FS test (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=26625). But I never forget the struggles that I've went thru and starting this thread is my way of showing my support to those working very hard towards this goal. It's definitely a worthwhile goal to push and great learning experience!!! I'm quite honored to be part of this experience!!! :bow:

Thin-Ice
05-21-2008, 02:46 AM
And seeing Jazzpants skate AT Lake Placid after reading/hearing about all her work to get there made watching her do so well at AN a lot more fun and meaningful.

doubletoe
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
And seeing Jazzpants skate AT Lake Placid after reading/hearing about all her work to get there made watching her do so well at AN a lot more fun and meaningful.

Agreed! :D

Skittl1321
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I had hopes of having my bronze test before adult nationals, but alas I still am prohibited from practicing sit spins by my PT. In addition, once I realized I wouldn't be close, I kind of gave up working on moves in favor of other things.

AN 2010 perhaps.

momsk8er
05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I think this year is very ambitious for me to be thinking about nationals, but maybe it would make a good goal to work for. I need to pass PB free and B moves and B free before then. Probably not impossible, but challenging. I don't have a program yet, and haven't thought about making one until I pass PB free. I don't have the loop down very well, and I don't have a flip or a lutz. Do I need those to be competitive (ie. not come in last) at the Bronze level? I think I might have a decent loop by then, but not sure if a flip is coming any time soon.

Mel On Ice
05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I competed at AN in '05 without a flip or lutz and came in last. BUT I had ordinals all over the place.

I competed at AN in '06 with a flip in combination and a lutz... and came in last. BUT I had ordinals all over the place.

(AN 07 and AN 08 were a *bit* more successful.)

No one wants to come in last, and no one wants to come in last two years in a row. I knew I was at serious risk both of those years of coming in at the bottom but didn't let that deter me from trying. I challenge ANYONE to tell me that I didn't give it all I had. To that, I say there was no shame either time in my performance or placement.

Debbie S
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Do I need those to be competitive (ie. not come in last) at the Bronze level? You need a loop to pass Bronze FS - well, you need another single besides a toe loop and sal, so you could do a loop, flip, or lutz.

To be competitive at Bronze, as Mel pointed out, you do need a flip and lutz, but that's a starting point. The rest of the program - spins, connecting steps, choreo, overall skating skills - has to be good, too. Many times, a skater with very strong basics but less in the way of jumps will beat someone with harder jumps but weaker overall skating. And the jumps and other elements have to be excecuted well. If your jumps barely come off the ground and/or are cheated, you likely won't receive full credit for them. Same thing if your spins aren't at least 3 revs on each foot and at least 2 in each position (if a combo spin).

But as Mel also pointed out, having a good time and being proud of your performance isn't necessarily connected to one's competitiveness. If you want to go and you've passed the tests, then go for it.

I'm a test level Bronze skater myself, and I actually haven't even practiced much FS in the past year or so - mostly focusing on Silver (and maybe Gold soon) Moves. I competed in Bronze a few times (not at AN but at club comps) and finished last each time, and reached a point where I decided it was pointless to compete FS when I wasn't competitive. It was too much time and money and energy to go to a comp and know ahead of time that I'd be at or near the bottom of my group. No, I don't only want to win and nothing else, but coming in last when you have the skills to compete and coming in last when you're overmatched by everyone are 2 different things, at least to me.

But that's just my opinion. Everybody feels differently. If you want to go to AN and competitiveness doesn't matter either way, then I say go and have a great time. :)

momsk8er
05-21-2008, 03:53 PM
no shame either time in my performance or placement.

Of course not, I didn't mean that coming in last was necessarily bad. For many it may be amazing that they were able to compete at all. For me it certainly would be. But I don't really want to go into a competition knowing I have no chance for anything other than last. But that's just my personality.

I forgot to say that I'm in the oldest age category (I think I am still after the changes - I'm 56). Don't know if that makes a difference. It probably makes more sense for me to wait for another year, but I think I will see how far I can progress this year. I don't know how many more years of improvement in my skating I can hope for.

[QUITE=DebbieS;]The rest of the program - spins, connecting steps, choreo, overall skating skills - has to be good, too.[/QUOTE]"

My basic skating is pretty good. Good speed and flow, can do most of the silver moves, except some of the back 3's. I skated as a child, so that helps, but I was not at a very high freeskate level (not that there were FS tests then). Got stuck at the loop, but passed Bronze dances. My forward scratch spin is usually centered and 8-10 revs. My backspin is coming on 3. I really need to get lower on my sit, and my camel has 2-3 revs on a good day. The most challenging thing will be to bring all these elements together in a program, and go out there and do them when the pressure is on. Not sure I can do that, but its a goal to think about.

flying~camel
05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
In 2006, I competed with a lutz (that I fell on) and a flip-loop, but had weak spins and skated kind of slow and came in last.

In 2007, I competed with a lutz (that I fell on again) and a flip combination. My spins and speed were better and I came in 7th (out of 10).

In 2008, I competed with a lutz in combination, a flip in combination, had better spins and better speed and came in 3rd (out of 10).

It sucked coming in last in 2006, but it gave me the motivation to really work hard on my speed and just my elements in general and it finally paid off this year.

Even though I medaled, I know that Silver is going to be a completely different (higher) level of skating and I need to keep working and improving.

That's what I love about this sport (aside from the friendships :)) - there's always something to work on!

Terri C
05-21-2008, 06:09 PM
After all the torture and nerves ( 9 years worth!!) on getting this test passed a week ago, I will be at Grand Rapids.
I've already started on working on my basic skating and hope to supplement that with a power class that is held at my rink.
Coaches have already started me on the flip and the camel. Flip is coming along, but the camel has that infamous "dog peeing on a fire hydrant" look with the free leg. I asked Secondary Coach about walking through lutzes yesterday and was quickly told no, not yet!
Sit is getting lower.

looplover
05-21-2008, 06:38 PM
This is such a great thread. Makes me excited for GR even though I wouldn't be very competitive if it were held today. I'd probably get that flip in competition because that happened before...the mental block went away when it mattered...no lutz though (I've only done one and over a year ago).

Personally I dream of being able to go to nationals in silver but that's really a pipe dream. I set ridiculously high goals for myself on purpose in the hopes that I'll make it halfway to them (hence my desire to do level 4 footwork, haha...I cannot do that!)

Hm...if I get that axel by the end of the year though...8-)

jazzpants
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Mel: I was watching you doing your technical at LP and you've improved LOADS since I last saw you skate in San Francisco!!! You definitely kicked ###!!! MAJOR, MAJOR KUDOS to you!!! :bow:

f~c: You just reassured me that my coaches are on the right track. Spins and speed (well, more speed on my basic skating and smoother transitions...) are my current goals for this next skating season! I'm gonna have to work hard on my own though to get that lutz at faster speed though so I can put in my program though. I need it!!!

flo
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
When I competed in bronze, I assumed everyone could do the same jumps, and for the most part they did. I focused on the edges and making sure that what I put in I did well. Most of the other programs had more jumps (this was before the balanced program guidelines), and those programs did not do as well.

I think I had a lutz, and that my jumps were ok, but I believe it was the overall skating that got me the silver.

Same for silver. I didn't have an axel, so I put in what I could do well. I've ended up 5th in my group once and not make finals, and 5th or 6th and 4th in finals.

So go for it, and whatever you do - do it well.

sk8er1964
05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I competed at AN in '05 without a flip or lutz and came in last. BUT I had ordinals all over the place.

I competed at AN in '06 with a flip in combination and a lutz... and came in last. BUT I had ordinals all over the place.

No one wants to come in last, and no one wants to come in last two years in a row. I knew I was at serious risk both of those years of coming in at the bottom but didn't let that deter me from trying. I challenge ANYONE to tell me that I didn't give it all I had. To that, I say there was no shame either time in my performance or placement.

Mel is, IMO, a prime example of what adult skating is and should be. I've seen performances where she struggled. I've seen performances that were better. However, to see her interp at Mids this year, combined with her duo interp, was completely :bow: (Unfortunately, I didn't get to see her free skates.) She gave totally kick-a$$-es performances - showing her growing confidence in her skating.

Mel - you are seriously my adult skating hero! (hugs)

Thin-Ice
05-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Of course not, I didn't mean that coming in last was necessarily bad. For many it may be amazing that they were able to compete at all. For me it certainly would be. But I don't really want to go into a competition knowing I have no chance for anything other than last. But that's just my personality.

I forgot to say that I'm in the oldest age category (I think I am still after the changes - I'm 56). Don't know if that makes a difference. It probably makes more sense for me to wait for another year, but I think I will see how far I can progress this year. I don't know how many more years of improvement in my skating I can hope for.

If you'd be competing in Bronze V there are several skaters who don't have a lutz. Some don't have a flip. One of the skaters (Wendy who knits the bear sweaters at/for AN) didn't have a consistent flip until this year. She usually finishes in the middle of the pack. You would definitely not be out of place if you had the loop you need to pass the Bronze FS test.. and a couple of nice salchows or toe loops. You wouldn't win, but you would still look like you belonged in the group. If you had good spins and stroking as well as strong footwork (i.e. quiet and well-done, not counters/rockers!) or really dynamic presentation, you might even medal. Of course, it all depends on who else is in that group that particular year.

Mrs Redboots
05-22-2008, 03:17 AM
I competed at AN in '05 without a flip or lutz and came in last. BUT I had ordinals all over the place. I remember seeing your programme, and you were great! It's not just about technical skills, it's about the whole package.

I have been coming consistently last ever since I started competing, and you know what? I don't give a hoot! It's always fun to try not to, and when you get years like this one where, at the Mountain Cup, we almost definitely will come last (I know who our opposition is!), the challenge is to take at least one dance off at least one other couple! Could happen.... and if it doesn't, so what? We'll get a 4th-place medal and will have had a blast. I shall, I expect, mind if all the judges give us last place in every dance, but then, we can't control what the other skaters do and we certainly can't control what the judges think!

And I have been to one competition where we skated our free dance really badly - so sad, as it was the last time we were to compete it, and not the way I'd have liked to have finished it - and didn't come last, but we skated our compulsories better than we ever have before and did (except one nice judge had us about 4th or 5th in one dance!). Go figure, as they say!

If you'd be competing in Bronze V there are several skaters who don't have a lutz. Some don't have a flip. One of the skaters (Wendy who knits the bear sweaters at/for AN) didn't have a consistent flip until this year. And it's fairly recent for her to be doing that - until the last 2/3 years she was frequently last or nearly so. She's been competing as long as I have - and like me, doesn't give a hoot about placement; it's going out there and doing it that she loves! Which, at the end of the day, is what it's all about for us adults!

Thin-Ice
05-22-2008, 06:38 AM
re: Wendy of "Wendy Bear" fame....

And it's fairly recent for her to be doing that -(coming in mid-field) until the last 2/3 years she was frequently last or nearly so. She's been competing as long as I have - and like me, doesn't give a hoot about placement; it's going out there and doing it that she loves! Which, at the end of the day, is what it's all about for us adults!

The first year Wendy and I competed we ended up in a discussion of how we were going to split the last place ordinals. It's one of the things I LOVE about her... she goes out to do her best and looks at the numbers afterwards and then goes to cheer for people.

One of my fondest memories of AN a couple years ago was when I saw her running down the hallway after she had skated and back to the rink to watch the other qualifying group (which I was in). She saw me and ran up and said "Did you skate yet?" I told her I had and it was not pretty.. and her response was "Oh, I'm so sorry I missed you" -- then picked up the Qualifying Round MEDAL she had around her neck and said "I'm really sorry, but I had to go have my photo taken" and she was just beaming. It was the first time she ever made it out of qualifying into finals... and everyone in our group was thrilled for her. Despite the bad skate, somehow I also made it into finals that year... and true to form, Wendy and I split the last place ordinals... which gave us both the giggles. We also arranged to have our entire Final Round group take a photo... since we all felt privileged to be there after a lot of us had a difficult year. It's one of my favorite skating photos and one of my all-time favorite memories.

Mel On Ice
05-22-2008, 09:19 AM

I am completely thunderstruck - thank you.

jazzpants
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
If you'd be competing in Bronze V there are several skaters who don't have a lutz. Some don't have a flip. One of the skaters (Wendy who knits the bear sweaters at/for AN) didn't have a consistent flip until this year. She usually finishes in the middle of the pack. You would definitely not be out of place if you had the loop you need to pass the Bronze FS test.. and a couple of nice salchows or toe loops. You wouldn't win, but you would still look like you belonged in the group. If you had good spins and stroking as well as strong footwork (i.e. quiet and well-done, not counters/rockers!) or really dynamic presentation, you might even medal. Of course, it all depends on who else is in that group that particular year.
WENDY is KEWL!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: And one of my highlights of this year is finally meeting her and getting the famed Wendy Bear!!! It's now sitting right above me on my home computer, riding on top of another stuffed animal dog that I got from someone (can't remember who) and right next to Raye's Canadian Bear from Skate SF! :mrgreen: (Those of you on Facebook probably also see a picture of me and the famed Wendy Bear too!!!)

Mrs Redboots
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I am just so longing to see her again - and will be doing so on Monday week, quite possibly Sunday night! Yay!

(Can you tell I'm already getting over-excited about the Mountain Cup?)

flo
05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Over excited? Is it possible?? The Mountain Cup is one of the best events I've been to!!
Enjoy!

sexyskates
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM
At 56, momsk8er is going to be age-wise in the middle of Bronze 4 (51-60 yrs in the new age groups). To skate at Adult Nationals is an honor. If you have passed your tests, go to enjoy the incredible experience!

Thin-Ice
05-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the correction on the age groups.. I had forgotten to take into account the age rule changes. And since momsk8r is 56, she'll be in Wendy's group. You'll have a great time just meeting her.

And I completely agree... just getting to AN is a huge accomplishment! Go momsk8r and enjoy the moment and revel is what you've managed to do.

momsk8er
05-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks so much for all the encouragement! Gotta get through PB free (shouldn't be a problem) and B moves (more challenging) in the next month or two, then we'll see.

flutzilla1
05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Mel is, IMO, a prime example of what adult skating is and should be. I've seen performances where she struggled. I've seen performances that were better. However, to see her interp at Mids this year, combined with her duo interp, was completely :bow: (Unfortunately, I didn't get to see her free skates.) She gave totally kick-a$$-es performances - showing her growing confidence in her skating.

I could not agree more! WE LOVE YOU MEL!!!!!

jazzpants
05-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I could not agree more! WE LOVE YOU MEL!!!!!
DITTO!!! DITTO!!! DITTO!!! :mrgreen: :bow: :mrgreen: :bow: :mrgreen: :bow:

Terri C
05-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I concur- Mel- YOU ROCK!!
I have been thinking the last few days- wouldn't this be a good idea for a reality show?
Pick as few of us and follow us as we prepare for AN 09- or try to qualify for AN 09? I know that there is the icedocs documentary out there, but my concept would focus on the skaters that are trying to get to or are at entry level for Bronze at AN, whereas icedocs, focuses on the higher level adult skaters. Just a thought.

jazzpants
05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, it would be nice. Actually, IIRC, flutzilla had attempted a LOOOOONG time ago to write up such an article for an online skating magazine. Yours truly was one of the skaters featured in that article. Unfortunately for her, the magazine folded soon after she turned in that article to the editor for final edit. :frus:

But it's fine... I've lived the dream of being at my first AN. I am a very lucky gal! :bow: (And I can't wait to do it again next year at GR too.) :mrgreen:

flo
05-25-2008, 10:52 AM
It would be nice if our own organization would recognize this in the Skating magazine. Year after year of reading little, then only coverage of the master's events at nats, I sent several e-mails to the editor asking them to please cover the "adult" levels - that's where the stories are and where you'll find the spirit of Adult Nationals.

Jazz - perhaps your friend could submit the article to Skating. Michigan will be the 15th AN - good time for an article reminding us all of why this was started and where we came from. She could interview Reba and DJ and others instrumental in getting AN started. Following a bronze skater could illustrate the program's success!

jskater49
05-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Maybe solo dance....I am hoping to test Bronze moves this summer....but I don't believe I'll ever be able to do a sit spin and I'd rather work on other things than try to kill myself trying that ...so I don't see myself ever competing at Freestyle at Adult Nats...but if it's ever close by I would go watch and cheer!

Terri C
05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
It would be nice if our own organization would recognize this in the Skating magazine. Year after year of reading little, then only coverage of the master's events at nats, I sent several e-mails to the editor asking them to please cover the "adult" levels - that's where the stories are and where you'll find the spirit of Adult Nationals.

Jazz - perhaps your friend could submit the article to Skating. Michigan will be the 15th AN - good time for an article reminding us all of why this was started and where we came from. She could interview Reba and DJ and others instrumental in getting AN started. Following a bronze skater could illustrate the program's success!

Flo and anyone else that is interested- maybe we need to not only write the editors of Skating, but Lexi Rohner- the new Adult Committee chair and the writer behind the Adult Corner for Skating magazine.

flo
05-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Good idea. Also, I'm sure there's a writer among us all. Perhaps the best way is to submit an article.

techskater
05-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Mel's a FABULOUS writer and ANs will be in her home club!!!

doubletoe
05-25-2008, 07:58 PM
E-mail your article to Lexi Rohner. Not only is she the one who writes/submits most of the adult skating articles, she is now our new Adult Program Chair!

kander
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
E-mail your article to Lexi Rohner. Not only is she the one who writes/submits most of the adult skating articles, she is now our new Adult Program Chair!

Her former name wasn't Lexi Foy, was it? If it is then I know her pretty well.

kander
05-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Her former name wasn't Lexi Foy, was it? If it is then I know her pretty well.

It is her!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?cat=7&id=25040

I spent a saturday afternoon helping her move out of an apartment once. She's a Dodger fan, but then nobodies perfect :D

jazzpants
05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
I just saw the new Adult Committee website and our own daisies is now the Pacific Coast Vice Chair! Congrats on your new post!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (I also see quite a few familiar names on the current adult committee too! Two of them skate at my rink!!! :lol: :P )

flo
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Congrats!!

LilJen
05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
There's no chance I'd qualify for ANs 09, which is a shame because Grand Rapids is only about 3 hours from here. . . but I will be cheering you guys on as you prepare!

jazzpants
05-27-2008, 01:18 AM
There's no chance I'd qualify for ANs 09, which is a shame because Grand Rapids is only about 3 hours from here. . . but I will be cheering you guys on as you prepare!
Ahhhh... but you will try for 2010, will you?

I remember being part of the 2005 AN or bust group and it took me at least another couple of years before I actually could qualify for AN. I didn't go to 2007, frankly, b/c I didn't think I was going to pass in time to qualify for AN 2007 and I didn't bother saving up money for that yet. I speak for myself in saying... if *I* could do it, anyone else can too.

(BTW: Sadly, LilJen, I think I'm part of the "Boobless, Hipless Pixie Brigade..." :twisted: :P :lol: :oops: )

Thin-Ice
05-27-2008, 02:19 AM
(BTW: Sadly, LilJen, I think I'm part of the "Boobless, Hipless Pixie Brigade..." :twisted: :P :lol: :oops: )

You're TOO TALL to be a "pixie"! :D

looplover
05-27-2008, 04:36 AM

Heh Jazz, so am I ... LilJen, at least for me it hasn't been a benefit or fun whatsoever! If I could change genetics I certainly would...

LilJen
05-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Oh, you guys. Boobless and hipless indeed--I'm talking about those little girls dominating the ladies scene at the moment (with some exceptions of course).

Anyway--well, 2010 is, um, a distant possibility. Coach and I have been working on dance & moves for the most part. I have a toe-loop. So I need just a few more jumps. . . and a 1-footed spin (yes, I'm not even there yet, never mind a sit spin). Who knows? Maybe I'll end up going all dancey and qualify there. I'll test my preliminary dances in August. What do they require for nats? Bronze dances?

If anyone is serious about following some of the competitors to AN 09, there's a silver gal at my rink who will definitely be going (she went to Chicago but didn't go to Lake Placid just because of time & distance). She's got some killer moves--passed through Intermediate--but that axel may prevent her from ever passing Gold free. Anyhoo, I'd be willing to contribute to a piece following adult competitors.

skaternum
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Can I join this thread too? I'm qualified to compete in Silver at AN and have been a couple of times. But as many of you know, I'm just getting back on the ice after being off for 2.5 years for some major surgery. *My* challenge with regard to AN 2009 is to try to get back to my former skill level. I've lost a lot due to the time away and the nature of the knee reconstructioin, so I'm not sure I'll be anywhere close to being competitive.

So, if I can get back to my skill level by the time apps are due, I'm going to try to go. Otherwise, I'll save my $$ and go in 2010.

jazzpants
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
You're ALWAYS welcome, skaternum!!! :mrgreen: And good luck on your quest to return to skating. I do look forward to finally meeting you all these ages. (And I'm changing my interp.. so depending on what I pick, I might still get my way and wear those Jazzpants to competition too! :twisted: )

Alright, Thin-Ice! You win. :bow: :lol: :P (I'm right on the border between petite and ladies sizes, but MAN... scary to think now that I'm pretty much back to the (JUNIOR) pants size I was when I was in HIGH SCHOOL!?!?! 8O But OH, I can get cheaper clothes now... :twisted: )

flo
05-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Of course, join in. I think we also under estimate the effort required to stay competitive at a level, let alone move up or recover from an injury.

flying~camel
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I just finished and launched the initial version of the AN 09 web site! Right now, it's mostly just area information, but as we get more information, it will be posted there.

www.ggrfsc.org/an09

P.S. Please be kind; my design skills don't quite measure up to my development skills ;)

flo
07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Great job! Love the pics!!

Hannahclear
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Oooh sand-bottomed rinks? Very nice surfaces. I almost never go to Hockeytown, which has a sand-bottom, because I DESPISE Route 1, but I love the ice on the rare occasions I do go.

There aren't that many sand-bottomed rinks around, according to my coach....

jazzpants
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
F~c: Nice start on the AN website!!! 8-) :bow:

TiggerTooSkates
07-06-2008, 09:46 PM

I love this post; I've printed it and have it in my scrapbook...I LOVE IT. I must confess I also snagged the quote - I think it's Kim to the Max - has in her siggy. It's also on my fridge!

Here's my take: there's always going to be someone who says, "Pfft, how impressive - gee, you came in LAST?" This person is probably either (a) trying to hide their own shortcomings or the more likely (b), is so green with envy they should probably be named Kermit.

Someone has to be last. At some point, Sasha, Scott, Peggy, Dorothy - the great skaters we all admire - they too were last (even if they were probably seven when it happened - oh well). I have no shame in coming in last - I feel worse when I think, d*@n, I could have done that, and I didn't even try. Coming in last means I went, I took part, I tried. So in that, I didn't fail.

Just my two cents. So for everyone working toward 2009, GOOD LUCK - I'll see you in 2012!!

Thin-Ice
07-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Nice job on the website. Woohoo!!! Just 9 months until AN and we already have a website where we can find information! Thanks so much -- I can hardly wait for AN09!:D

sk8lady
07-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Got stuck at the loop, but passed Bronze dances.

Actually, if you've passed the Bronze dances, you can skate at Adult Nationals in Interpretive--I did last year. However, the category is mixed Bronze and Silver Ladies, so you might not be real competitive--I was in IV and it was a pretty good group.

looplover
07-07-2008, 08:27 AM
The site looks great!

Already made a hotel reservation...now I have to go! :twisted:

Black Sheep
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I just want to know:

a) Which of these is the "official" or "host" hotel?

b) Do any hotels on the list have blocked rooms/special AN'09 rates?

Just need a finger pointing me in the right direction! ;)

flying~camel
07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I just want to know:

a) Which of these is the "official" or "host" hotel?

b) Do any hotels on the list have blocked rooms/special AN'09 rates?

Just need a finger pointing me in the right direction! ;)

We don't have that info just yet (we're waiting on some paperwork from USFS), but as soon as we know, I'll post it on the site!

Mel On Ice
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
a little local news clip on Nationals coming here:

http://fox17.trb.com/sports/?track=nav

yes, I sound like a dork. "I was a bookish child..." Of all the interview questions, he chose THAT answer? I wanted to bite it off the minute I said it. I wish they would have shown more adult footage instead of the senior ladies.

flying~camel
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
a little local news clip on Nationals coming here:

http://fox17.trb.com/sports/?track=nav

yes, I sound like a dork. "I was a bookish child..." Of all the interview questions, he chose THAT answer? I wanted to bite it off the minute I said it. I wish they would have shown more adult footage instead of the senior ladies.

And I wish they'd have gotten footage of me doing something cool (like my spread eagle) instead of a spin I f'ed up!

jskater49
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Okay I'm officially joining this group. I'm going to go for Solo dance. I need to pass one pre-bronze dance and I think I can do that.

joelle

jazzpants
07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay I'm officially joining this group. I'm going to go for Solo dance. I need to pass one pre-bronze dance and I think I can do that.

joelle
Go for it!!! I would LOVE to finally meet you at AN after knowing 'ya all these years!!! :mrgreen:

doubletoe
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I love this post; I've printed it and have it in my scrapbook...I LOVE IT. I must confess I also snagged the quote - I think it's Kim to the Max - has in her siggy. It's also on my fridge!

Here's my take: there's always going to be someone who says, "Pfft, how impressive - gee, you came in LAST?" This person is probably either (a) trying to hide their own shortcomings or the more likely (b), is so green with envy they should probably be named Kermit.

Someone has to be last. At some point, Sasha, Scott, Peggy, Dorothy - the great skaters we all admire - they too were last (even if they were probably seven when it happened - oh well). I have no shame in coming in last - I feel worse when I think, d*@n, I could have done that, and I didn't even try. Coming in last means I went, I took part, I tried. So in that, I didn't fail.

Just my two cents. So for everyone working toward 2009, GOOD LUCK - I'll see you in 2012!!

I just figure all the people who didn't show up to skate are tied for last place, LOL!

doubletoe
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I just finished and launched the initial version of the AN 09 web site! Right now, it's mostly just area information, but as we get more information, it will be posted there.

www.ggrfsc.org/an09

P.S. Please be kind; my design skills don't quite measure up to my development skills ;)

Are you kidding?! The site is wonderful! Thanks so much for putting such thought into it!

sk8lady
07-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I wish they would have shown more adult footage instead of the senior ladies.

I'm glad you said that. I couldn't BELIEVE how good your adult skating group was!!!!!!

flying~camel
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm glad you said that. I couldn't BELIEVE how good your adult skating group was!!!!!!

If only Alyssa Czisny competed on the adult track... ;)

(If you didn't notice, she was the one who did the 2axel & 3lutz-2toe in the pink & green dress. The skater in black is a GR-area senior level competitor.)

rlichtefeld
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
U.S. Figure Skating Announces Dates and Locations for 2009 Adult Sectionals

(7/8/08) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today the dates and host cities for the 2009 adult sectional championships. These three competitions will place in February 2009.

Eastern Adult Sectional Championships
Central Carolina Skating Club
Feb. 20–22, 2009
Hillsborough, N.C.
Triangle Sportsplex

Midwestern Adult Sectional Championships
Wyandotte Figure Skating Club
Feb. 20–22, 2009
Wyandotte, Mich.
Benjamin F. Yack Recreation Center

Pacific Coast Adult Sectional Championships
Las Vegas Figure Skating Club
Feb. 20–22, 2009
Las Vegas, Nev.
Sobe Ice Arena @ Fiesta Rancho

Rob

LilJen
10-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Reviving this thread. At our usual adults-only Thursday morning coffee club, coach mentioned that several skaters from our club will be going to MI for adult nats and hinting that I oughta go too. Um, i *just* passed pre-bronze, never mind bronze???? I think it's possible I could pass bronze moves, but FS?? Mark me a 0 for both backspin and sit spin. I think I could probably get a loop but all three jumps would be pitiful. Could I pass by whenever the deadline is? (Can our tiny, disorganized club even get a stupid test session scheduled?) I haven't even passed my prelim dances (test session problem--not enough judges with the right qualifications), let alone bronze or pre-bronze.

Anyone have a link to qualifications for adult nats? Can I skate up a level? Hey, SOMEONE has to come in last!!!

However, i don't really drink so the thought of the little booze bottles flying onto the ice isn't as much of a motivator. . . .it's just that Grand Rapids isn't too far from here, and, really, when is the next time that ANs will be that close?

Terri C
10-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Reviving this thread. At our usual adults-only Thursday morning coffee club, coach mentioned that several skaters from our club will be going to MI for adult nats and hinting that I oughta go too. Um, i *just* passed pre-bronze, never mind bronze???? I think it's possible I could pass bronze moves, but FS?? Mark me a 0 for both backspin and sit spin. Hey, SOMEONE has to come in last!!!

The last place person in Bronze III might very well be me. While I did pass my Bronze free in May, it has been a turbulent summer, with contract ice starting at my home rink, a secondary coaching change (didn't start with said coach until August), coming in last in my first competition last weekend as a Bronze lady and now.... my home rink is for sale!!
Thankfully I skate at and take lessons from Secondary Coach at another rink in the area, but that rink is not regulation size and is almost always packed.
I'm gonna need some major support from my fellow forumites in the months ahead.

jskater49
10-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think I'm going to go after all. I just don't have the money. Hopefully they will have solo dance again next year because I'm probably not ever going to be a bronze free skater.

j

flying~camel
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Anyone have a link to qualifications for adult nats? Can I skate up a level? Hey, SOMEONE has to come in last!!!

Unfortunately, no skating up is allowed at ANs.

I don't know the minimum requirements for pairs & dance, but for solo freestyle, you have to have passed at least the Bronze MIF & FS tests and for interp, you have to have passed at least either the Bronze MIF & FS tests or the Pre-Bronze dance test.

jskater49
10-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately, no skating up is allowed at ANs.

I don't know the minimum requirements for pairs & dance, but for solo freestyle, you have to have passed at least the Bronze MIF & FS tests and for interp, you have to have passed at least either the Bronze MIF & FS tests or the Pre-Bronze dance test.

You just have to have passed prelim dances and one pre-bronze dance to qualify for solo dance.

RachelSk8er
10-06-2008, 07:45 AM
In 2006, I competed with a lutz (that I fell on) and a flip-loop, but had weak spins and skated kind of slow and came in last.

In 2007, I competed with a lutz (that I fell on again) and a flip combination. My spins and speed were better and I came in 7th (out of 10).

In 2008, I competed with a lutz in combination, a flip in combination, had better spins and better speed and came in 3rd (out of 10).

It sucked coming in last in 2006, but it gave me the motivation to really work hard on my speed and just my elements in general and it finally paid off this year.

Even though I medaled, I know that Silver is going to be a completely different (higher) level of skating and I need to keep working and improving.

That's what I love about this sport (aside from the friendships :)) - there's always something to work on!

I don't think Katie did a lutz last year and she finished 4th in our group. But overall she's a strong skater and has very nice spins.

The best thing you can do to prepare is not worry about what other people are doing, and just do what you can do well.

flying~camel
10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't think Katie did a lutz last year and she finished 4th in our group. But overall she's a strong skater and has very nice spins.

Katie didn't do a lutz and she 2-footed her flip, but she does have good spins and spirals.

OT: We threw a baby shower for her last week and I swear, she is one of the cutest pregnant women ever!

LilJen
10-06-2008, 09:03 AM
The last place person in Bronze III might very well be me. While I did pass my Bronze free in May, it has been a turbulent summer, with contract ice starting at my home rink, a secondary coaching change (didn't start with said coach until August), coming in last in my first competition last weekend as a Bronze lady and now.... my home rink is for sale!!
Thankfully I skate at and take lessons from Secondary Coach at another rink in the area, but that rink is not regulation size and is almost always packed.
I'm gonna need some major support from my fellow forumites in the months ahead.

I think I'd actually be the elder stateswoman in Bronze II (40 in March!). We'll see how things go. . . I thought I'd heard that no skating up was allowed--thanks for the confirmation, flying camel. Might have to try the solo dance route, but dance judges are hard to come by in my area. The idea of trying to get my Bronze moves & FS passed in just a few months is stressing me out, and this is supposed to be FUN, darnit!!

looplover
10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
This thread makes me feel better - my camel/sit/back spin combo is coming along nicely and I was able to do my loop twice at a good speed today...:D

...but I still don't have a lutz and my flip is still a flop.:roll::x

Hoping I fix those two things by AN but if not I'll really try to up the level of the other stuff...

RachelSk8er
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
This thread makes me feel better - my camel/sit/back spin combo is coming along nicely and I was able to do my loop twice at a good speed today...:D

Hoping I fix those two things by AN but if not I'll really try to up the level of the other stuff...

Just look at it this way....prepare to be the best skater YOU can be. You can't control what jumps and spins other people in your group will show up with. You can't control placement (especially under 6.0). Heck...sometimes you can't even control what your body is going to do when you step out onto the ice to compete and the nerves and everything else get to you (even the most seasoned performer has a bad day). You CAN, however, control whether or not you step out on the ice to compete at nationals knowing that you can't possibly have prepared any harder throughout the season. And you can prepare to, no matter how you place and no matter how you perform, be proud of yourself for that. Not placing well doesn't feel too bad if you know you worked as hard as you possibly could. And be prepared to have a darn good time spending 5 days acting like a kid :)

I haven't been at freestyle very long, but some of the best years I had skating were when I was on a collegiate synchro team that worked our butts off just to qualify to be at synchro nationals, or on a senior team that knew we wouldn't make the podium...but were happy to have the skate of our lives at nationals. And some of the most disappointing have been when we placed 2nd or 3rd at nationals and it was because we had a crappy performance, which was the result of not working hard enough in practice.

sk8lady
10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

I competed at AN for the first time in Interp last year in Lake Placid with no backspin, no camel, severe traumatic tendonitis in my left shoulder, and my highest jump being a salchow. My freestyle level is pre-bronze but I qualified through dance. I was 10th out of 14 and I was pretty happy with that given the circumstances--one of the skaters I beat was a Silver lady! My ordinals were all over the place, from 4th to 13th.

Just sell whatever it is you do well and you'll do okay.

Terri C
10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Finally, finally!!
After my lesson earlier this week where Primary Coach put me on "salchow suspension" for the next week (attempts were really ugly this week) Secondary Coach worked with me on loop, flip and camel tonight!

Loop was fine, just needed a few corrections here and there. I fully rotated but two footed the flip attempts.
But the surprise for me was the camel. Once Secondary Coach told me to step into a spiral as I stepped into the spin, I felt something when I did that. That something was a camel spin!

BTW-- November 20 is the big day when AN registration begins, according to the USFS website. Can't wait!

Mel On Ice
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Given my circumstances, I'm out as a competitor but will be there with clipboards and who knows what else.

flying~camel
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
The LOC is putting together a newsletter to let anyone who's interested know about event updates.

You can subscribe to the mailing list at www.ggrfsc.org/an09/contact/subscribe.asp.

I've also added a few new items to the web site's event area (vendors, judges & officials, etc).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have (jen@ggrfsc.org)!

jazzpants
10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Given my circumstances, I'm out as a competitor but will be there with clipboards and who knows what else.
How about a very LARGE basketball? :P :lol:

(Sorry couldn't resist, but SOOOO happy for 'ya!!! :mrgreen: )

mskater
10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone! I am so excited to be getting a new program and to be making a run at 2009 AN's. Hopefully I'll get through Sectionals this year:]

Cheers!

flying~camel
11-15-2008, 06:57 PM
The LOC has set up a car rental discount through Budget Rent-a-Car for AN 09 competitors & guests!

For reservations, please call 1.800.772.3773 and mention the discount code "U076792" or reserve online at https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/reservation/bridge.ex?&BCD=U076792

flo
11-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll be here with a new interp program, and perhaps pairs - depending on how the new competition levels sort out.

Mel On Ice
11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
If you need a pseudo-coach flo, you know I'm your girl. I wore your pendant yesterday and thought of you!

flo
11-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks! You're on!
Were waiting to hear about the pairs qualifications and see what level well be entering. It's a moving target, and my queries to USFSA have yet to be answered.

Figureskates
11-17-2008, 06:26 AM
If work scheudle allows, I may try to take in AN 2009....as a spectator.

Skating has taken a new direction as we formed a synchro patch team last summer and we are going to see where that goes....

sk8er1964
11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
If work scheudle allows, I may try to take in AN 2009....as a spectator.

Skating has taken a new direction as we formed a synchro patch team last summer and we are going to see where that goes....

That would be so awesome!

jazzpants
11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Figureskates: You were definitely one of my highlights of my first AN and it would be an honor to see you again at Grand Rapids next year!!! :bow:

flying~camel
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
The LOC has procured another car rental discount for competitors and guests through Avis Rent-a-Car! :D

For reservations, please call 1-800-331-1600 and mention the discount code "J626049" or reserve online at https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/reservation/ReservationsInitializer?&AWD_NUMBER=J626049.

starskate6.0
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
:??
Iv not been on the ice in any serious manner for months :cry:, just too much going on in the real world. Not sure Im even going , Im not even a USFSA member at the moment. Money, Time to practice, lessons, Im up against it this year. :?? Not even started a new program yet, :( Was going to skate today but lost interest at the last moment, went to the gym instead buut that was boring.. Maybe Ill feel better around December.. ,,:??

FREESK8ER
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Starskate60,
Dig up some old freestyle music from 15 - 20 years ago and try to skate that routine again. It brings back memories of when you love to skate for the pure joy of it.
Where is my cowbell????

starskate6.0
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks
I was in the Ice Show then skating with Mickey and Goofy...:lol: I don't think skating to the Mickey mouse club music would really cut it.. but thanks for the thought...:lol: Besides my bell bottoms look pretty bad..:lol: Sorry I gave the cow bell to someone in Oberstdorf last year and never saw it again...

Terri C
11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm printing it out now!!! Anyone else?? :D:D

flo
11-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Where is it posted?

Terri C
11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Go to the USFS webpage and log on to the "Members Only" section of the website and go to "Event Registration."

flo
11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks - now just waiting on some pairs levels clarification. It will be silver or gold.

NoVa Sk8r
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Application is ready!
http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/forms/

RachelSk8er
11-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Bah...looks like I'm in silver solo dance...won't be able to get the pre-gold I need to qualify for gold in time. I can't test in December, everything conflicts with law school finals, and there is not a single test session in January before the 15th.

At least I still have some wiggle room with the test cutoff that I can test/pass one pre-gold between Jan 15 and ANs and still stay elegible, I'll just have to hold off on the others (which stinks, because I have two close to test-ready and a third that will be ready for testing by Feb or March, now I'll have to hold off until our May session on two of them).

On the plus side, I won't have to put much work into the dances I'll be competing, so I can focus more on freestyle and a new interp.

Mel On Ice
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
yay - Rachel's coming to play!

RachelSk8er
11-24-2008, 09:51 AM
yay - Rachel's coming to play!

Actually it was pretty cool...I'll miss the last day of two of my classes for the semester but I told my professors why I'd be out and instead of some "why the hell are you ice skating, law school should be more important" they were actually really supportive and thought it was cool. But then again we're allowed to miss 4x/class/semester, I don't skip and I drag myself there when I'm sick, so that's all I'll miss all year.

Then I get to come home and take final exams the week after ANs.

So yeah...I probably won't be a ton of fun this ANs, I won't get to spend as much time at the rink as I'd like watching every single person I know (I'm sure you guys understand :)), but oh well! At least I can go!

flo
11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
We will be skating gold pairs if we do pairs. My juvenile pair test, which I took before there were any adult pairs tests to skate at the first AN, puts us in gold. The pair rules, which are always a moving target have changed to allow two gold fs skaters to skate silver pairs.

NoVa Sk8r
11-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, the rules are a bit "scwewy."
But welcome to gold pairs (again)--I hope you to choose to compete with Tara and myself. 8-)

flo
11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Nova - not really sure. At this point my partner is still learning pair elements. He's doing a great job, but it's alot to expect to go from zero to gold in such a short time. If we skate, we may just do a silver level program and keep it for the next year when the rules change - yet again.

NoVa Sk8r
11-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Nova - not really sure. At this point my partner is still learning pair elements. He's doing a great job, but it's alot to expect to go from zero to gold in such a short time. If we skate, we may just do a silver level program and keep it for the next year when the rules change - yet again.Gotcha. Though I thought y'all looked very good in the Halloween event!

flo
11-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks! We're having a great time. Looking forward to seeing who ends up in what group and catching up with everyone.

Black Sheep
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Anybody else besides me having trouble registering online for AN? I had no trouble registering for Mids online, but I keep getting error messages for the AN one.

Black Sheep
12-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Anybody else besides me having trouble registering online for AN? I had no trouble registering for Mids online, but I keep getting error messages for the AN one.

I always get the "Error Processing" message when I get to the music. I must have done this five times already. Why won't they fix this??? :roll:

doubletoe
12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
The LOC has procured another car rental discount for competitors and guests through Avis Rent-a-Car! :D

For reservations, please call 1-800-331-1600 and mention the discount code "J626049" or reserve online at https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/reservation/ReservationsInitializer?&AWD_NUMBER=J626049.

Thanks so much for posting that! I was surprised to see that that rate is considerably lower than the lowest rental car rate on Orbitz!

Black Sheep
12-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I just tried registering for AN on a different browser and successfully completed it! :D

Terri C
04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm bringing this thread back from the doldrums, because we are three weeks away (or is it 2 1/2 now?) and as a first time AN attendee - I NEED HELP!!

My program runthroughs this past week have been less than stellar. This afternoon my secondary coach, who is a IJS TS, wrote out the value of each element I did after I did my program for him on lesson. What it added up to was that I'm gonna get killed in my QR!!

Yes, I'm Bronze and yes, I do know that I'm judged under 6.0. But from what I've seen, we 6.0 folks are subliminally judged under IJS.

How do I handle the last two weeks without getting a nervous breakdown or killing the clueless kids that I skate with?

techskater
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Work to get everything as nice as you can and let the chips fall where they may, TerriC. Focus on each element at a time and doing the best you can with what you've got. FWIW, Bronze typically WOULD really suck under IJS, it's one of the reason it's not used at ANs. :lol:

daisies
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes, I'm Bronze and yes, I do know that I'm judged under 6.0. But from what I've seen, we 6.0 folks are subliminally judged under IJS.
I'm a judge, and I don't know what this means. I can't do math on the fly consciously, much less subliminally! LOL!

Remember, judges basically do the same thing they do under 6.0 as they do under IJS: They judge quality. They have nothing to do with calling levels of spins or step/spiral sequences, and they have nothing to do with how much an element is worth. So don't worry about being judged "subliminally" under IJS. Just go out there, take a deep breath and show how much you love to skate! :)

sk8er1964
04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm bringing this thread back from the doldrums, because we are three weeks away (or is it 2 1/2 now?) and as a first time AN attendee - I NEED HELP!!

My program runthroughs this past week have been less than stellar. This afternoon my secondary coach, who is a IJS TS, wrote out the value of each element I did after I did my program for him on lesson. What it added up to was that I'm gonna get killed in my QR!!

How do I handle the last two weeks without getting a nervous breakdown or killing the clueless kids that I skate with?

Focus on having fun and enjoying the experience. Have no expectations. Do not judge yourself against others or some sort of internal standard. When you are out there skating, don't focus on anything but how you are feeling and enjoying the experience of being at AN after all that you had to do to get there.

That's what I did in my first AN, and I think it was my best performance!

flo
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
My first AN was the first AN and no one knew what to expect. I loved the training, getting the costumes, the music... I skated pairs and was ready to go out and show the program. It was great and we took home the silver.

Mel On Ice
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Just enjoy yourself and your first ANs will be awesome. I had the best time in Kansas City in '05.

jazzpants
04-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Being that I was the newbie last year, I can tell 'ya this is a moment to enjoy the fun of competing, meeting a lot of your board friends (LIKE ME! :twisted: ) for the first time, and enjoying the "after after parties!!!" :twisted: (Alright! Truth be told, I didn't go last year. I was too tired to go!) This is NOT the time to worry about making it to the final round. When I went last year, I fully expected to be in the cellar (and I did in the interp... but was surprised though that I wasn't at the cellar in the technical.) But that bottle of champagne from Mel On Ice beats ANY gold medal!!! LOL!!! :bow: (See my sig on the support from all the people here on this board and the other board I'm on. That was added just after I came back from AN!!! :mrgreen: )

I have long since given up on trying to catch up with the other skaters!!! There's always someone that's gonna sandbag one way or another. My skating still sucks and I'm still expecting to be in the cellar, but I have new goals to reach this year in my programs and I'm hoping that the judges and other skaters will notice the change. :D (Or maybe not... those damn nice crossovers that my fellow skaters at my rink and my coaches commented about doesn't want to make its way over to my programs!!! :frus: )

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
The point of any competition is to meet old friends and make new ones, to skate as well as you are able, and to have fun. Don't forget, you can't control what the other skaters do, and you can't control what the judges think, so all you can do is go out and have fun.

And it is fun, even though all of us go through the "Why on earth did I think this was a good idea?" phase, and also what I call the Darkest Hour syndrome - when our programme is simply Not Working, and Never Will Work, and your going to make a Total Fool of yourself, etc, etc, etc. That usually means (I hope - I'm in that phase at the moment) that your programme is about to come together and work well.

And if you do skate badly and come last - so what? Yes, you'll cry (that's the adrenaline crash) and swear Never Again - but like the rest of us, you'll be back next time! Chocolate helps, by the way, as does a stiff drink (afterwards, not before!).

starskate6.0
04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Everyone here is correct.
And so is the Judge who made the comment to enjoy and love the skate. :bow:Remember
The training is over once you get there, all you can do is feel the ice bend your knees and smile and the rest will happen.

Im not going this year but those who know me know that I go for the show.
If you can relax and entertain people and flow with it you will do great.
Do what is required in the rule book then let fly . I often do and sometimes I bend the rules a little ;) just to make the performance entertaining even if it gets me no extra points ( or even cost me points ) :lol:( Iv done that too.).
Its not all about the numbers, judges, spins or jumps, its about the experience of entertaining and achieving great things for yourself.
When people stand and applaud your a winner, regardless of where you finish. Don't just skate, Entertain and the judges will love you.
:D
My Best wishes to all , I will miss you.