View Full Version : Who was the first person to ever come see you compete & what was it like to have them

FSWer
05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok competitors!!!! Time to tell me who the first person to ever come see you compete in competition was..and what it was like for you to have them there.

tidesong
05-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Well that would be my parents and it was cool to finally show them what all that insane amount of time and effort went into.

CanAmSk8ter
05-20-2008, 06:48 AM
My parents. But I was 11, so they pretty much embarassed me all day. :lol:

I'm sure you parents of pre-teens can relate.

Skittl1321
05-20-2008, 07:26 AM
My good friend (who I met here) quarkiki stayed to watch my first solo competition, even though she probably needed to rush home to pay the babysitter. It meant a lot to me that she was there. My synchro coach was also there, and both of them did a good job of calming me!

The biggest supporter to me has been my husband. He comes to all my test sessions, and thats a huge deal to me- because I know he doesn't really like skating and test sessions are boring. And he came to watch our synchro team perform and my interpretive event, even though he had a really busy weekend with a conference. He and his friends were so funny and brought signs like you would to a football game- a big "D" and a picket fence cutout. He told me "Defense wins championships" LOL- I needed that during our other synchro program, maybe if I had been skating defensively I wouldn't have had the fall :)

looplover
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I ban friends and family but last year my former boss and his wife came. They were very nice but I think they were disappointed that I didn't do triple jumps!!

SynchroSk8r114
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
At my first competiton, my parents, sister, and grandparents came to watch me. I was eight-years-old and was just excited/nervous to have everyone there to cheer me on. It made me feel special because I knew there were all there for me. I placed fourth, not great but not terrible, but they still celebrated like I had won the Olympics--dinner, little treats, a stuffed skating bear. It was awesome!

I often wish I could have my grandfather around to watch me achieve all that I'm still achieving nearly 13 years down the road, but he passed away when I was thirteen-years-old. I know he'd be so proud to have seen me get my Gold in my Senior MIF back in 2005 and he'd be even prouder to watch me test my Gold dances and my freestyles.

Gina10179202
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
My dad was there, but he watches me a lot so that was okay. My sister, she is usually skating so that is okay. My grandparents, they're fine because they love me no matter what.

The person I was nervous about was my mum. She had never EVER been inside an ice rink before and didn't like me skating anyway, and I so desperately wanted to land my axel for her (and I did:mrgreen:)

jazzpants
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
First person would have to be my husband. And unfortunately it's not a happy story to share...

At the time, my reaction was very MIXED!!! I know that he's trying to show support for me for the skating... but at the same time, I know that he is sorta reluctant to show support for something I do that he thinks is frivolous and doesn't make $ for the family. My sorta "UP YOURS!!!" to him was winning that Gold medal at Skate SF in 2005!

He's grown since I won that gold medal. I think he finally realizes that the greatest gift he could give to me in our marriage was not $, but support.