View Full Version : Twizzle clarification

Skittl1321
05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
I need some clarification based on a group lesson this weekend.

Does the knee bend in a twizzle? How much? If you have the same up-down motion of a 3-turn, how is it different from a 3-turn?

techskater
05-19-2008, 06:39 PM
It's a little bent

Not the same motion as a three turn, it just...goes?

FlyAndCrash
05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
It starts like a 3-turn but the leg straightens after about the first half-turn. I tihnk it's about as bent as a backspin. The knee bends again to end the twizzle... I guess I never really thought about my knee before. I'm more concerned with keeping squaren during the twizzle and not toppling over (i.e. checking strongly...) when I end my rotation.

techskater
05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Exactly - I think about my shoulders

SynchroSk8r114
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I guess I never really thought about my knee before.

LOL, ooohhh you'll think about it alright, especially when that's all your coach harps about on the Argentine Tango. :frus: Why is that the only thing holding me back from testing this dance? (Coach says she won't put it out until my skating leg on the twizzle is straight. :roll:)

phoenix
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
By definition the skating knee must be straight w/ no up & down movement for a twizzle to be a twizzle. It's in the rulebook that way. However, some leeway is given at the lower levels re. knee movement.

You'll see some teams doing twizzle positions that make them skate it on a bent knee (ie, Summerset & Gilles' catch-foot)--but there's still no movement of the knee for the duration.

Skittl1321
05-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks all for the clarification That's what I thought- no up down movement in the knee.

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
You should certainly finish your twizzle with a straight knee, however you start it. And I remember hearing Oleg Oksiannikov telling someone - in fact, I think it was COskater64, wasn't it? - that for multi-revolution twizzles you should start with a bent knee and finish with a straight one.

My big problem with FI twizzles is that I end up on my toe-rake so can't make them multiple. I used to be able to do one BI double twizzle, but haven't practised it for yonks, so probably can't now.