View Full Version : 2008 Peach Classic - Aug 30-31 - All Adult competition

rlichtefeld
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
We finally got the sanction approved. We had to wait for Governing Council and the GC report to come out before we got all the rules changes. Even though we are before the Sept 1 rules changes, we got the sanction chair to let us start using the new rules.

The announcement, news, forms, etc. are all available at:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

The entry deadline is July 19

Rob

skaternum
05-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! I've missed this!!!!

Rob, who is coordinating the volunteers this year? I should have time to take a shift or two, since I'm only doing "throwaway" events.

rlichtefeld
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll PM Marianne's email address to you.

Thanks for offering.

BTW, There are no "throwaway" events. Some of my most cherished medals are from those events. The Team Events are the most fun, and being the only guy (and the oldest) in a spin event and winning is priceless!

Rob

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! I've missed this!!!!

Rob, who is coordinating the volunteers this year? I should have time to take a shift or two, since I'm only doing "throwaway" events.

flo
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
"BTW, There are no "throwaway" events. Some of my most cherished medals are from those events. The Team Events are the most fun, and being the only guy (and the oldest) in a spin event and winning is priceless!"

My hero!

sexyskates
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
There are never any "throwaway events".
I call them the "fun events"! And I agree, that placing well in these events can also be quite challenging.

skaternum
05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Jeez, cut me some slack. Potato, potahto. They're add-ons for most people. Not interp; not FS; don't require months to train. They'll still get my $85, so what's the big deal? :)

coskater64
05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I was grateful to have those events since I was 6 weeks pre surgery #2. I always like peach, even if I have to do a free skate this year with only 2 or 3 jumps..at the masters level.:twisted:

Stormy
05-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I should be at Peach this year, although it's a couple weeks before my wedding, so I am not 100% sure.

skaternum
05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I should be at Peach this year, although it's a couple weeks before my wedding, so I am not 100% sure.

I didn't realize you're getting married. (Curse being out of the skating world for so long!) Congratulations!!

sexyskates
05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Congratulations Stormy! I wish you and your hubby-to-be a lifetime of happiness together!

TiggerTooSkates
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Jeez, cut me some slack. Potato, potahto. They're add-ons for most people. Not interp; not FS; don't require months to train. They'll still get my $85, so what's the big deal? :)

I'm sorry that as the newbie I'm butting in here, but I've just started figure skating at four weeks shy of 35 and I couldn't be more excited about my first "throwaway" event - admittedly, I know it's still several months away! I admit I don't know a lot of adult skaters yet, but knowing a whole lot of adults, I'll venture the guess that "most people" don't think these are add-ons. Aren't we supposed to tell our children that ANY experience is good experience, and that it's really all in how you play the game and not whether you win or lose - so shouldn't we tell ourselves the same thing?

(Especially not at eighty five bucks a pop, when I'm now paying fifty bucks to fill a Honda Accord with 87 octane gas.)

I apologize if I've stepped on toes here - but what I lack in figure skating experience I make up for in life experience. Perhaps I've taken this the wrong way - but it sounds a bit, well, as a kid would say - snooty.

I don't mind getting flamed for this - but I really felt strongly about this. I'm sure the OP is a very nice person - but I completely disagree with this. As they say, one person's trash is another person's treasure - and if I place at a "throwaway", you would think I won an Olympic gold either way!

:oops: (embarrassed for being so verbal about it all)

ETA - I'm also sure the people who worked so hard to make this happen - and who deserve kudos and heaps of praise for it - don't feel their hard work was for nothing. Good job to the organizers and those who lobbied so hard to make this a reality!

flo
05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
You got it! Welcome to the group and enjoy your first event!!!

skaternum
05-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Strap yourselves in. I've got a long reply coming ...

I'll venture the guess that "most people" don't think these are add-ons.I disagree. They *are* add-ons for most people. Only a handful of skaters at Peach will be doing these events exclusively. The number of people in the stands watching them is much smaller than those watching the freeskating or pairs events. These events simply don't have the same cachet as the other events. Why does this appear to offend some people so much? I've heard many adults refer to these as the "just" events:

"What event are you doing this afternoon?"
"Just the spins event."

Aren't we supposed to tell our children that ANY experience is good experience, and that it's really all in how you play the game and not whether you win or lose - so shouldn't we tell ourselves the same thing?My feelings about these events have nothing to do with "winning or losing." Considering these to be add-ons in no way detracts from the experience of doing them. I do them all the time when I'm competing. They're very useful. But that doesn't mean they have the same cachet as a freeskate.

Perhaps I've taken this the wrong way - but it sounds a bit, well, as a kid would say - snooty.I think people who know me (and I've been around adult skating for about 12 years) wouldn't apply that term. I'm a huge champion of inclusiveness in adult skating and go out of my way to encourge lower level skaters.

ETA - I'm also sure the people who worked so hard to make this happen - and who deserve kudos and heaps of praise for it - don't feel their hard work was for nothing. Good job to the organizers and those who lobbied so hard to make this a reality!Um, you seem to be making a logical leap here. You seem to be taking my comments about events being "throwaway" or "add-ons" as some sort of insult to the organizers. On the contrary, I above all people have a deep appreciation for the hard work these people put into this competiton and they know it. I do volunteer shifts at this comp every year that I'm there now, in spite of the fact that I live 2 states away. I'm good friends with all the organizers and support their efforts by encouraging others to attend (and pay their $$ which helps the GaFSC make a profit). He**, I sign up for as many "throwaway" events as possible primarily to support this competition.

I have experience with this topic from the other side, too. I've been involved in running competitions longer than you've been skating, probably. When I'm helping organize and run my own club's competition, it is obvious that people don't take these events as seriously as they do the freeskating or even interp events. They often refer to them as good warmups for the "real" events they care more about. It doesn't insult me one bit. As long as they keep entering them and paying their money, we're all happy.

Anyway, please do not make assumptions about the position from which I make my comments or how the organizers will take them.

flo
05-23-2008, 06:01 PM
As far as "just" events - depends on what events you are speaking of. It is certainly not uncommon to do only interpretive. I've done interp for numerous years, and often as the only event. I've also not really noticed a difference in the crowds. The lowest turnout I had for an event was bronze fs!

I'm sure there's no intent to offend, but describing something as a "throwaway" is not exactly a compliment. It irritates me when people describe interp as a throwaway because it implies a lack of effort an attention. There are many of us who want the judges to take the event seriously, and referring to it or treating it like a "throwaway" does not help.

Perhaps the other events, such as team and spin could be better described as add-ons. It is perhaps not accurate for some who are doing these events alone, but at least it does not offend.

jensk8s
05-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I didn't take the comment as offensive at all. I look at all the events as opportunities to work on performing, and figure if I'm there competing already, I'd do those events. There have been competitions I only did pairs interpretive or the Team Compulsories event and had a great time - it was about being with the friends.

Anyways, I'm excited to see the announcement out there and am looking forward to it. We have our Gold Team compulsories team all put together - anyone else competing in team compulsories?

rlichtefeld
05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Lori,

Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea culpa.

I didn't mean to kick off a firestorm condemning you. I was doing some friendly tongue-in-cheek ribbing about the "throw-away" events. BTW, EVERYONE replying knew WHICH events you were talking about. So, either they are aware of the category, or they themselves feel that those events are not the same as the freeskate, dance and interp events.

Again, mea culpa.

Rob

Strap yourselves in. I've got a long reply coming ...

I disagree. They *are* add-ons for most people. Only a handful of skaters at Peach will be doing these events exclusively. The number of people in the stands watching them is much smaller than those watching the freeskating or pairs events. These events simply don't have the same cachet as the other events. Why does this appear to offend some people so much? I've heard many adults refer to these as the "just" events:

"What event are you doing this afternoon?"
"Just the spins event."

My feelings about these events have nothing to do with "winning or losing." Considering these to be add-ons in no way detracts from the experience of doing them. I do them all the time when I'm competing. They're very useful. But that doesn't mean they have the same cachet as a freeskate.

Morgail
05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
A skating friend mentioned this comp to me tonight. She's thinking of going, and it got me thinking about it too. It's not a long drive, and it would be fun to do an all adult competition as my first comp in...hmmm...13 years, I think. I'll have to look at the money situation to see if I can afford to go, but I hope I can. Also need to run it by my coach to see what she thinks. Kudos to the organizers for putting this on a weekend so that no work has to be missed:D

Anyway, how is the turnout for this competition? Are there any events that don't require a program? I'd definitely do a freeskate program, but would probably like to sign up for at least one other event.

Thanks;)

skaternum
05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Kudos to the organizers for putting this on a weekend so that no work has to be missed. For future reference, Peach is always Labor Day weekend. It's great because you can head home Sunday afternoon and still have a day off work to unpack & chill.

Anyway, how is the turnout for this competition?The largest in the country, aside from Adult Nationals.

Are there any events that don't require a program?Check the announcement. There are spins, compulsory moves, and jump only events. It's fun to do a throw-away event. :P

rlichtefeld
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
The announcement can be viewed/downloaded at:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/index.htm

We have the following events: Freeskate, Pairs, Interpretive, Interpretive Pairs, Dance, Solo Dance, Free Dance, Team, Compulsory Moves, Moves in the Field, Jumps, and Spins.

This is the 12th year for the event, and every year it has been held over Labor Day weekend.

We used to be the biggest all-adult after Adult Nationals, but I'm not sure that's still true. I think the either the Halloween or the Deborah Burgoyne may be a little bigger. However, I think we have the most fun. You never know when the Underwear Phantom will strike!

You can see last year's results and list of events at:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2007/results.htm

Rob
Peach Classic Chair (again)

A skating friend mentioned this comp to me tonight. She's thinking of going, and it got me thinking about it too. It's not a long drive, and it would be fun to do an all adult competition as my first comp in...hmmm...13 years, I think. I'll have to look at the money situation to see if I can afford to go, but I hope I can. Also need to run it by my coach to see what she thinks. Kudos to the organizers for putting this on a weekend so that no work has to be missed:D

Anyway, how is the turnout for this competition? Are there any events that don't require a program? I'd definitely do a freeskate program, but would probably like to sign up for at least one other event.

Thanks;)

RachelSk8er
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I want to go, but fall semester classes for law school start the week before for me (and I work full time and have class M-Th nights from 6-9pm so life will get hectic around that time), so that's probably not a good idea. Maybe next year when the classes get a little less demanding.

Hoping to make Buckeye instead, since that's, at most, a 4 hr drive.

rlichtefeld
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
The applications are starting to come in. CoSkater64 was the first!!

Just thought I'd remind everyone of the July 19 deadline.

Rob

Petlover
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm mailing my application on Friday morning (payday!). I competed at Peach Classic for the first time last year in the pre-bronze level and absolutely had the best time! This year, I am 20 pounds lighter, have a couple of new dresses, and will be attempting to land my flip for the first time in competition in my program.

I can't wait to see you all again!

skaternum
06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Yay, Petlover! Congrats on the 20 pounds -- that's impressive.

I haven't sent in my application because I'm still holding out to see if I can get enough of my skills back to be able to add Compulsory Moves to my agenda. I'll definitely be doing Interp and Silver Jumps, but I've been really struggling with spins and footwork (all that knee torque!) This rehab/return to skating is taking a LONG time. :giveup: Maybe an extra 2 weeks will make a huge difference, and I'll have a breatkthrough. :D

rlichtefeld
07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Just thought I'd remind everyone of the July 19 deadline - again.

Rob

skaternum
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Deadline has now passed. I decided to go ahead and send in my registration, but at this point, it's still sort of iffy. Apparently the Knee Gods sensed the impending comptition and knew that I'd talked Michelle into registering as well, so they have punished me by making my stupid knee start swelling again. :frus: We've been pushing the rehab pretty hard and were up to skating 3 times a week, but I now have to drop back to twice a week while we try to get the swelling under control. Poop. Regardless, I'll be there, even if I have to scratch from all events and just drink heavily at the competitor's party. :yum: I'm going to Peach, dammit!

blue111moon
07-22-2008, 07:28 AM
I will have to aim for next year as well, darned.

My ankle surgery is now set for Aug. 8 and the cast won't be off by Labor Day. :(

rlichtefeld
07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Deadline has now passed. I decided to go ahead and send in my registration, but at this point, it's still sort of iffy. Apparently the Knee Gods sensed the impending comptition and knew that I'd talked Michelle into registering as well, so they have punished me by making my stupid knee start swelling again. :frus: We've been pushing the rehab pretty hard and were up to skating 3 times a week, but I now have to drop back to twice a week while we try to get the swelling under control. Poop. Regardless, I'll be there, even if I have to scratch from all events and just drink heavily at the competitor's party. :yum: I'm going to Peach, dammit!

Entered your application today. I was glad to see actual events!!!

I hope the knee behaves. Mine is not behaving either lately. I've learned to live with the feet problems, but when the knee is not happy, the rest of the body is not happy.

Look forward to seeing you again.

P.S. I also got several new apps from skaters in the Raleigh area this year.

rlichtefeld
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
I will have to aim for next year as well, darned.

My ankle surgery is now set for Aug. 8 and the cast won't be off by Labor Day. :(

Good luck with the surgery and rehab!

Rob

skaternum
07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope the knee behaves. Mine is not behaving either lately. I've learned to live with the feet problems, but when the knee is not happy, the rest of the body is not happy.True, dat!

P.S. I also got several new apps from skaters in the Raleigh area this year.Yay!! That's encouraging. I've been talking it up for a month now. PM me or email me and let me know who. We'll make sure their first Peach experience is a good one. :D Maybe see if they want to carpool with us.