View Full Version : How does one increase speed after change?

singerskates
05-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, I'm asking how does one increase speed in a spin after a change of the following:

Change of foot?

Change of position (from sit to upright, or camel to sit, or upright to camel, or camel to layback)?

Change of edge?

Change of weight distribution (difficult position) ei. basic sit to broken sit with hand grabbing the freeleg's blade or ei basic sit to one of those Jeffery Buttle pretzel spins( :P ) ?

Curious minds who skate want to know?

kayskate
05-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Change of position (from sit to upright, or camel to sit, or upright to camel, or camel to layback)?

I'll try this one. Any position change that allows you to swing your leg though an arc can achieve increased speed. Camel-sit and camel-layback are this this type as is camel-upright and layback-sit. Free leg should be lift slightly in the camel then sweep (while under control) into the new position. Keep the leg as straight as possible to maximize arc of travel. This will speed your rotations.

Sit-upright: as you rise, pull the free leg in slowly. The Lussi tapes call this the "killer". It is very effective.

Upright to camel is a different beast b/c you are going from a more contracted position to one that is more open. You have to very quickly re-hook the next spin while opening into the camel position. It is tricky. Layback-camel and sit-camel are similar.

Kay

CanAmSk8ter
05-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Any time you're changing feet in a spin, you need to get enough knee bend as you change to allow yourself to come back up a bit. The "coming up" on your knee will get your weight onto the "sweet spot" of the blade on what's now your skating foot. Keeping the same degree of knee bend and "stepping" from one foot to the other makes it hard to even maintain your speed, let alone increase it.

techskater
05-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Change of edge will typically slow down if going from the "standard" to the forward edge spin because you are spinning further back on the blade and the circles become much larger and your speed will decrease.

You can also increase your speed in the "same" position by bringing your center of gravity tighter.

ibreakhearts66
05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
when changing from a forward to back spin, it is really important to get a good push. I'll use the example of a forward sit to back sit, since I am quite good at generating speed in the push (sorry if my explanation isn't great, I guess it came naturally to me).

Using CCW spinning for example.
When you go to change feet, put your right foot down, and push with your left. It kind of feels like the push you get when doing consecutive BO edges (like in the pre-pre moves). Again, sorry for the ambiguous explanation--I was never taught how to generate more power--it came naturally.

As you figure out the push, you will find yourself getting more and more power and speed. If you couple it with the right arm motions (I open my arms slightly as I switch feet, then snap them in), you can get GREAT speed.