View Full Version : Your Clubs annual Show and a little about it

FSWer
05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Ok Skaters!!!! When I saw the Youtube video it gave me the idea for this thread. So what I want to ask today is...what is the name of your Skating Clubs annual Show (if you have one) and tell a little bit about it.

jskater49
05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
We have a different name and theme every year. This year it was Vacation ParadICE and the first half was all summer and vacation music. We had Learn to Skate numbers, two numbers each with middle freestyle and high freestyle numbers. All seniors get to do a solo in the show. Otherwise you have to fulfill certain requirements for either a solo or feature (either trio, duet and a small solo within a group number)

This year we had the Juvenile Pairs Champions as guest skaters.

The second half was an Ice theatre with a family going to Disneyland. I was the mom---I didn't have to skate much, just act.

I thought it was pretty cool this year.

j

flo
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,
I don't know what the name of my club's show was. I was a guest skater in another rink's show and had a great time. They did a good job of having a variety of ages and levels, as well as great ensemble programs.

FSWer
05-17-2008, 05:20 PM
We have a different name and theme every year. This year it was Vacation ParadICE and the first half was all summer and vacation music. We had Learn to Skate numbers, two numbers each with middle freestyle and high freestyle numbers. All seniors get to do a solo in the show. Otherwise you have to fulfill certain requirements for either a solo or feature (either trio, duet and a small solo within a group number)

This year we had the Juvenile Pairs Champions as guest skaters.

The second half was an Ice theatre with a family going to Disneyland. I was the mom---I didn't have to skate much, just act.

I thought it was pretty cool this year.

j

Learn to Skate Numbers? That means Learn to Skate Skaters get to show off what they can do in a Show,right?

CanAmSk8ter
05-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Learn to Skate Numbers? That means Learn to Skate Skaters get to show off what they can do in a Show,right?

Some rinks do that. At my rink, you have to be in the more advanced levels of learn-to-skate, pretty much Freestyle 1 and up. If we opened it to kids below that, the show would last about six hours.

littlekateskate
05-17-2008, 06:21 PM

We skate at two rinks. One rink puts all LTS and low freestyles in group numbers. Then the upper levels get to skate. And then their national ranked skaters do mulitple numbers..

Then our other rink anyone can do a program as long as you pay for it :( BLAHH... Its HORRIBLE. This gets really long and you get tons of kids. And I love my daughter and think she is super cute to watch, but its just not as adorable for everyone else. And one or two little lts kids are cute but after so many it just gets painful to watch. I would much rather they only allowe group numbers for the lts kids also.

Skittl1321
05-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Our show also puts LTS skaters into group numbers. There is a snowplow group number, a basic skills group number, a "speciatly class" group number (freestyle level, but not the freestyle class- it's usually a power class, but some extra skaters always join for the time of the show) and an acclerated class group number. Acclereated is a special program, that's sort of a mix of basic skills and freestyle- they are LTS that take two times a week from a specific coach.

Then I think anyone who is a member of the club (which isn't LTS) can perform a solo if they pay. Rink skaters who are not club members cannot pay to skate. At the christmas show, the synchro team gets to perform, even though we are not club members, but the spring show they usually don't get to perform (politics... we are ISI and the club is USFSA, though some of the team is also in the club)

Clarice
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
We do two shows a year - one around Christmas and the other in the summer. Any member of the club who wants to be in it can be, and all club members pay a participation fee. Learn to Skate skaters can sign up for a special "show class" through the skate school program, and so can participate that way. They are divided into group numbers based on a combination of age and level, and how many groups there are depends on how many skaters signed up. The club kids have to have passed at least their Pre-Preliminary free skate test to be allowed a solo. Lower level skaters can be featured in duets or trios. Your free skate level also determines how long your solo number can be. If the club gets bigger, we may have to raise the requirements for a solo, but this is working for us so far.

jskater49
05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Some rinks do that. At my rink, you have to be in the more advanced levels of learn-to-skate, pretty much Freestyle 1 and up. If we opened it to kids below that, the show would last about six hours.

We have two Learn to Skate numbers, a low level and a high level-- that is what sells skating to kids - you get them in a show and they are hooked - also it sells skating --kids see kids their age skating and want to do it

joelle

Clarice
05-18-2008, 06:17 AM
- also it sells skating --kids see kids their age skating and want to do it

Works for adults, too! I saw the adult group number in the first Christmas show my daughter was in, thought "I could do that!", and signed up for lessons immediately.

CanAmSk8ter
05-18-2008, 08:21 AM
We have two Learn to Skate numbers, a low level and a high level-- that is what sells skating to kids - you get them in a show and they are hooked - also it sells skating --kids see kids their age skating and want to do it

joelle

No argument that putting LTS kids in the shows boosts enrollment, and I totally understand why most rinks do it, but I don't know if my rink could take an increase in enrollment! We're a municipal rink, and I'd say 60-75% of the kids in town take skating lessons at some point. During the winter we offer as many as 14 LTS classes a week, not counting the 3 adult classes, and they do fill up. Trust me, I've taught them :twisted:

Our bigger problem is retention- we're in a fairly wealthy town, and the kids tend to be involved in lots of activities. A lot of parents sign their kids up for lessons not to make skating another sport the kid does, but to do eight or sixteen weeks of lessons and know that if their kid is invited to go skating with friends or to a birthday party at the rink, they'll be able to skate safely on their own. Restricting the show to Freestyle-level skaters gives our upper-basic level skaters a reason to continue when they might otherwise move to lacrosse or soccer in the spring, which I suspect is part of the reason we do our show in May. We also allow our Freestyle-level skaters to do a solo if they want to, which helps us coaches pick up a private student or two at a point in the year when we're often losing a couple to soccer or little league.

Sessy
05-18-2008, 08:34 AM
We don't do a show, we do a competition between all the people who are taking lessons in the A or B competitional groups. The judging of those is a little... vague though.

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
We don't do a show, but last Christmas we did exhibitions, and gave out silly prizes - we basically worked it so everybody got a prize!

We do several "step, spin and spiral" competitions during the year, and usually one main club competition (this year on 15 June).

But no shows.