View Full Version : NFSA and Bay Blades in Boston

FlyAndCrash
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know anything about these two programs? I'm going to Boston for school starting next year (Boston University) and would really like to continue skating and maybe coaching a learn to skate program. While looking things up online, I came to the conclusion that I'm probably skate at Skating Club of Boston.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the National Figure Skating Academy Boston/Academy Recreational Skating Club or Bay Blades. Are these two seperate programs? THhy both appear to be run by the city, are they? Do they need coaches? Also, it seems very recreational (something I would look for if coaching LTS) and ISI (a big plus because I grew up in ISI and have just started USFSA and never went through their learn to skate). Also, would it be hard in such a big city? I only have limited experience coaching group lessons, and never with my own class.

This summer, my coach did say that I should ask the skating director for more opportunity to coach and that my current coach would help me. But first I need to decide if I want to coach next year and if it's possible.

blue111moon
05-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Coaches - and skaters who want to coach - are a dime a dozen in New England. Unless you have credentials already, it's not easy to walk into a program and get a paying job coaching right off the bat.

Your best bet is to get some experience this summer, put together a resume and contact the directors of the programs of the area rinks to let them know that you are interested and available, if they need someone.

Then once you get to school and get settled in, go to the rinks and offer to help out as an unpaid volunteer. Once the directors get to know you and see that you're willing and reliable, they'll be more likely to ask you to fill in when they need someone. Half of getting a job is being in the right place at the right time.

The only other advice I have to ask your coach if she knows any of the coaches in the area and would be willing to contact them on your behalf. A personal reccommendation goes a long way.

Good luck.

Sylvia
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
However, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the National Figure Skating Academy Boston/Academy Recreational Skating Club
Garrett Lucash is the Director -- link to the website: http://www.fmcarenas.com/nfsa/

Kelli
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
NFSA is pretty high level, though I think they have an associated learn to skate as well. I think Bay State Blades is at many rinks, and I believe some of them may do ISI as well as USFS.