View Full Version : Another Boston thread: Quincy?

looplover
05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
...just had a second phone interview with a Cambridge company.

I will look at arenamaps but this is the best place to ask about skating!

This doesn't seem possible though - live in Quincy, take the red line to Cambridge for work - skate ???

Are there any good year-round rinks around Quincy that might have good coaches for adults?

I know SCOB is pretty close to Cambridge, I should ideally live there but I don't even know how I can afford to live in Boston. Plus Quincy looks very cute (I'm all about the ocean).

I'm looking for too much, aren't I...I need to keep a car for skating and dog transport purposes

Edited to note that only you guys would understand that I plan my entire move around figure skating.

looplover
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I just re-read the other Boston thread and I don't think I needed to post this after all, sorry! Looks like the Hingham rink might be good, I just have to figure out their freestyle sked.

(I have no idea if I'm getting this job)

icedancer2
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Quincy is pretty close to Hingham (relatively) and is kind of cute.

And the Hingham rink is great - but generally I think it is a privately-owned rink and I THINK you have to be a member to skate there. I LOVED the dance group there and know they are still going.

If you work in Cambridge you might want to think about living in Sommerville, Arlington or those suburbs North and West of Cambridg e - the train is accessible everywhere...

Kelli
05-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Agree with icedancer, check out the Somerville/Cambridge/Medford area around Harvard, Porter, and Davis Squares. Will you have a car? I can give you some ideas.

RoaringSkates
05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I used to live in Quincy. You can absolutely commute on the red line from Quincy to Cambridge, but you may have to change at Park Street. Or not.

Quincy, I liked it. But Somerville would be closer to your work, and is also on the train. But I don't like Somerville. It's too urban. Quincy is urban, but less... urbany. Note, however, that the parts of Quincy that are near the train aren't on the ocean.

I used to live in the Wollaston (sp?) section of Quincy, which I very much liked. Easy train access, nice neighborhood. I also lived downtown, at Quincy Center, which was also fine, but I preferred Wollaston.

I didn't skate back then, so I don't know the rink situation.

Isk8NYC
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
...just had a second phone interview with a Cambridge company.What company is that? I'll have to drop them a line about how unreliable and unstable you are, just so that we get to keep you down here a little longer, lol. (Kidding! Just Kidding! Good luck!)

looplover
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
What company is that? I'll have to drop them a line about how unreliable and unstable you are, just so that we get to keep you down here a little longer, lol. (Kidding! Just Kidding! Good luck!)

Ha, thanks! (I will miss you guys!)

Looks like it's either Boston or NJ now...

RoaringSkates
05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I prefer Boston to NJ, but NJ is fine too.

Boston is more fun and feels less crowded than does much of NJ.

Of course, there are some lovely areas of NJ. I simply prefer Boston.