View Full Version : Coaches: Weird things happening....

singerskates
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Up until the last week since I got back to skating from injury and sickness (later part of 2004/2005 season) I either barely got enough rotation on my salchow and toe loop or it was they way it should be. Now I'm finding that I have to find a way to check harder so that I don't over rotate my salchows and toe loops. What's happening is that I go take off and instead of landing after one rotation, I'm doing one and a quarter. Sometimes it's more like one and a half times around. And I've checked my take off marks on the ice and they are clean. What does this mean?

I use to have trouble with my back spin because I couldn't get on my back edge enough to hold the end. Now I'm finding that my edge is almost sideways on the back edge. What can I do to fix this?

I even messed up my forward corkscrew by one time doing the spiralling edge going into the 3 turn and then somehow immediately flipped onto the outside edge. I can't understand how it happened. I had to try again to regain my normal forward corkscrew. Hmmm, I wonder if I can control doing the outside edge first and then switching to the reg. inside edge on my forward corkscrew?

I just find this all so weird as I always use to be stuck on my inside edges.

vesperholly
05-15-2008, 03:02 AM
1. You're getting better.

or

2. Your skates have a problem - sharpening, warping, etc. Have you had them checked recently?

slusher
05-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Ask your coach about what proper rotation on the ice looks like.

A toe loop is maybe half a turn when you look at the ice tracings.

You might feel that you've got too much rotation but that could be from a non-controlled free leg on the landing. Have your coach video you. It's very useful.

jp1andOnly
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
comments posted in bold between yours

Up until the last week since I got back to skating from injury and sickness (later part of 2004/2005 season) I either barely got enough rotation on my salchow and toe loop or it was they way it should be. Now I'm finding that I have to find a way to check harder so that I don't over rotate my salchows and toe loops. What's happening is that I go take off and instead of landing after one rotation, I'm doing one and a quarter. Sometimes it's more like one and a half times around. And I've checked my take off marks on the ice and they are clean. What does this mean?

Check with your coach...it's probably just something you need to fix. Sals and toes are really only a quarter jump so by saying you are jumping once around means you are mistaken on the jump altogether. Check with your coach

I use to have trouble with my back spin because I couldn't get on my back edge enough to hold the end. Now I'm finding that my edge is almost sideways on the back edge. What can I do to fix this?

Ride the entry edge. You are probably cutting it too short

I even messed up my forward corkscrew by one time doing the spiralling edge going into the 3 turn and then somehow immediately flipped onto the outside edge. I can't understand how it happened. I had to try again to regain my normal forward corkscrew. Hmmm, I wonder if I can control doing the outside edge first and then switching to the reg. inside edge on my forward corkscrew?

again, you are probably cutting the entrance edge. Ride that edge and don't cut it short. Also remember to bend your knee and it will help control the edge.

I just find this all so weird as I always use to be stuck on my inside edges.

singerskates
05-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Everything is fixed except for the backspin as I don't know if the backspin is fixed because I didn't try one today.

Coach wants me to try spinning on both edges on forward spin now. How is this done? I can get on the outside edge on a forward spin but I don't know how to get back to the inside edge or vice versa. Tips? We are looking at ways of getting the levels up on the spins that I already can do well (forward upright positions and sit positions).

doubletoe
05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
It's pretty difficult to do a change edge spin in a sit position that's low enough to count. Try a pancake or cannonball variation on your sitspin.