View Full Version : Too MUCH turnout??

Laura H
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM
OK, with all the discussion on developing turnout, I have to ask the opposite question . . . I have a heck of a time keeping hips squared when they need to be - (i.e., jumps & spins) - having turnout is great for spread eagles and bauers, but I am constantly struggling to keep my free hip from dropping or turning out when I need to be "squared up!" Are there any good exercises to strengthen those muscle groups? (which would be what, exactly? hip adductors? abductors??)

quarkiki2
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
If you hear of any, let me know... please! I can't even keep my free hip up on simple 3 turns...

flo
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's a question of "strength" of muscle groups or more anatomy. I have very open hips, which make some elements like camels more difficult (they look like lay overs), but with concious effort this can be adjusted. I don't think I'd want to change my openness.

doubletoe
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I agree with Flo. Because of the turnout in my free leg, I used to actually flip myself over on flying camels sometimes, LOL! So now I just focus on what my knee is doing. I'll know my hip is closed if my knee is facing straight down to the ice on the flying camel and if my knee is facing straight forward on the upright spin. I also have to consciously think about lifting one hip or the other sometimes, since I have a tendency to let my hips get too relaxed and let one of them drop or stick out (especially on things like BI 3-turns). I don't think that phenomenon is specific to open-hipped skaters, though.