View Full Version : Yet another "help me find a skate!" post!

Isk8NYC
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Merged duplicate threads together.

rink_shark08
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Ok, this is my third attempt to post this... hopefully this will work and end up in the correct place! :)

I am new to the boards as well as to the world of figure skating (I took lessons when I was VERY little, and by lessons I mean the tot levels). This seems like a very informative and supportive bunch, so I am excited to be here!

I am starting instructional skating next week- a long time dream of mine. I am a 21 year old music major with a hockey player boyfriend who practically lives at the rink. He has always bugged me to get into some lessons and so three weeks ago, we were at the rink and ran into one of the instructors... needless to say, the rest was history! I am so excited, but am also feeling a little overwhelmed! I feel ancient (recidulous, I know!), it seems like all of the skaters at the rink are at the most 13 or 14 and are skating competitively. I have been inspired by all of the adults around here that skate- you are all my heros! But still, it is a little strange to watch an 8 year-old skate that is 3 levels above you! :)

I am doing this for self-gratification, so I am not necessarily in it to win it- I just want to learn! I hope to continue into the freestyle levels and get into some basic jumps and spins.

With all of that being said, I am in the skate hunt. Dallas is a big hockey city so everyone and their dog carries and is well-versed in hockey skates, figure skates- not so much! I went to the rink in my suburb and they do carry a limited number of models by Riedell and Jackson. The shop keeper at the rink the Jackson freestyle or the competitor. The coach seemed to think one of the Riedell Medallions would work well (though no one carries them to try-on). And another shop I went to up in Plano suggested the Jackson Competitor w/ Ultima Mirage blades.

I am 5 feet tall and weigh around 110lbs. My feet are small- size 5, but have wide metatarsals with narrower heels. I am also slightly flat-footed.

I have a pair of Jackson Mystiques with an ISE blade that I have nearly killed from pond skating every winter at my aunt's house. I have had problems with them rubbing on my ankle bone, but then again they were never heat molded or punched out.

SO... if anyone has any advice on whether I should go with one of the above or continue hunting, please let me know! (Or if you know of a good pro-shop in North Texas) I want to make sure that I get the right amount of boot/blade that is manageable!

Thanks for your help!
rink_shark08

Isk8NYC
05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Jackson Freestyles are heat molded and can be punched out as well if needed.

Usually, adults use them up through single jumps. The Riedell Gold Medallion is probably comparable.

The main difference is the width (jacksons are wider) and the heel (jacksons have a higher heel).

Both have decent beginner blades.

Welcome to the board and good luck with your Pursuit of Skating!
There are a lot of adult skaters on this board, so stick around. I think there are a few Texas people who might chime in with the name of a good pro shop.

dbny
05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
What ISK8NYC said, plus, IMO, the Jackson Competitor is going to be too much boot for you at your height/weight and skill level. No need to spend that much and then be miserable with it.

CanAmSk8ter
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
With all of that being said, I am in the skate hunt. Dallas is a big hockey city so everyone and their dog carries and is well-versed in hockey skates, figure skates- not so much! I went to the rink in my suburb and they do carry a limited number of models by Riedell and Jackson. The shop keeper at the rink the Jackson freestyle or the competitor. The coach seemed to think one of the Riedell Medallions would work well (though no one carries them to try-on). And another shop I went to up in Plano suggested the Jackson Competitor w/ Ultima Mirage blades.

I am 5 feet tall and weigh around 110lbs. My feet are small- size 5, but have wide metatarsals with narrower heels. I am also slightly flat-footed.

Same here. My only experience with Riedells came more than ten years ago, and it was a disaster. I have toes that are still messed up from those boots. With the heat-molding available now, it's possible you'd be okay in Riedells, but if you have a wide forefoot, you're probably better off in the Jacksons.

doubletoe
05-13-2008, 05:24 PM
See if you can get the boots in a mixed width (i.e., B ball, A heel). I also have feet that are wide in the ball and narrower in the heel and my heels used to slip up in my boots, which can be very unsafe (imagine lifting your heel to get on the ball of the blade for a turn, but only your heel comes up; the back of the blade stays in the ice!)

froggy
05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
i have a narrow heel and medium width foot and i began with silver reidells which worked well up through some of my single jumps before the broke down, they should be fine to begin with. im not sure what your budget is, but one of my biggest misktakes was not getting a good blade in the beginning, if you have some extra $ I'd invest in a basic freestyle blade like coronation ace (about $200), just make sure the guy who you sharpen by knows what he is doing, ask your coach who he/she would recommend to sharpen figure skate blades.

have fun and good luck!!

rink_shark08
05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I went back to the rink after work and got fitted for the Freestyles. The figure skate guru was in there today and helped me out a lot. It comes with the Mark IV plade but he assured me that I could upgrade. I am so excited! They should be here in time for my first lesson!

Wooohoooo!

RachelSk8er
05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Same here. My only experience with Riedells came more than ten years ago, and it was a disaster. I have toes that are still messed up from those boots. With the heat-molding available now, it's possible you'd be okay in Riedells, but if you have a wide forefoot, you're probably better off in the Jacksons.

I think you have to have the right feet for Riedells. I've worn them for 22+ yrs now (ever since I grew out of plastic molded toddler-sized rental skates) and have never had a problem. Granted I've worn the same size and different updated versions of the same model (Royals) from the time I was 11 until last year when I bought my current 1500s, so after all this time my feet have probably just molded themselves into the shape of a Riedell boot! :P

techskater
05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Reidells hate my feet while they love Rachel. I love my Harlicks. Others love their SP Teri's, some love their Jacksons, their GAMs, etc

rink_shark08
05-15-2008, 01:17 AM
The Jacksons definitely felt the best on my feet- I think my metatarsals are too wide for Riedells; granted, the rink proshop doesn't have a large variety (white ribbons, bronze medallions, branze stars, and the 1500 HLS) I could barely squeeze my foot into them; I felt like an idiot when we went up to the widest size in the Riedells and I STILL barely got my foot into it! :oops:

AgnesNitt
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm considering buying SP-Teri Ladies Silver as boots for figures (I don't want to wear someone else's used boots, and my freestlye boots have lots of life in them). The Teri's are promised to be minimum break in. I wonder if anyone has any comments.

I'm very gentle on my boots. So if the concern is that they'll break down too fast, it's not an issue with me. It takes me what seems months to break in boots. I'm just not hard on them.

Thin-Ice
05-16-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm considering buying SP-Teri Ladies Silver as boots for figures (I don't want to wear someone else's used boots, and my freestlye boots have lots of life in them). The Teri's are promised to be minimum break in. I wonder if anyone has any comments.

I'm very gentle on my boots. So if the concern is that they'll break down too fast, it's not an issue with me. It takes me what seems months to break in boots. I'm just not hard on them.

I had the equivalent of what is now called the SP-Teri Silver (they had a different name then) as my first pair of SP-Teris.... and they are now the boots I use for figures (when I can find ice to practice them). I really like them.. and they were a very fast break-in.. about 2 hours total, and that included figuring out where I needed to have the ankle punched out. They're still in pretty good shape since I only use them for figures... and I've had them several years.

isakswings
05-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi. I recently bought a pair of Riedell Gold Medallion skates. I am very pleased with them so far! I've only had them a week, so I can't review them much since I've only used them 3 times since then. LOL! I am about your height, but heavier and older(36!). I'm also in lessons and am pretty new to skating.

I am in Utah and it is nearly impossible to find decent figure skates. There's a shop that carries Jackson skates, but honestly they know so little about figure skates they aren't any help! So, I ordered my Riedell's through the rink. They fit me and so far so good!

Anyway, good luck! The Jackson Freestyle is a nice skate and I agree, it is likely comparable to the Gold Medallion. :-) Edited to add: I see you decided on the Freestyle skates! ENJOY! New skates are exciting!