View Full Version : stopping to hit your opening pose

ibreakhearts66
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok this may be kind of random, but I was just wondering the different ways in which people stop in competition (like when you get out on the ice to start your program)

Personally, I use a step-in-front t-stop sort of stop (we call it a tango stop at my rink I think, but I don't know if that's the real name).

dbny
05-11-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't compete, but in shows and tests, I always do either a T-stop or tango stop. I have my students do the same.

FlyAndCrash
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
When I tested, I did hockey stops... hehe. At least I didn't fall. Besides, I often feel weird when I do t-stops (lets just say mine aren't great) and I snowplows look less appealing to me. At least I'm keeping my knees together. :P

jcookie1982
05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I haven't tested yet, but when practicing I do a T-stop.

Sessy
05-12-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm doing a T-stop with the foot behind right now but I am working on making that one with the foot in front.
Though the backwards T-stop is coming easier to me than the forwards one with the turned out foot in front. I've got some difficulty turning it out that far unless I go pretty deep into my knees, but I only remember to do that when I'm not skating with a much speed.

SkatingOnClouds
05-12-2008, 03:30 AM
Hee-hee, I always plan to do a lovely show stop (which is what we call the front t-stop here) but end up doing a really ungainly snowplow because I am so incredibly nervous that it's a wonder I can stop at all.

I can do show stops easy-peasy, but once the nerves kick in, well, I'm not so steady.

SynchroSk8r114
05-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Personally, I use a step-in-front t-stop sort of stop (we call it a tango stop at my rink I think, but I don't know if that's the real name).

I know what you mean. I've always called it a "show stop," but I've heard it called a tango stop as well.

Skittl1321
05-12-2008, 07:09 AM
I always intend to do a T-stop, I actually do it about half the time (between all the moves, programs etc). If i'm too nervous to get it to work then I snowplow. I have to say though- a snowplow doesn't look very nice once you are above basic skills levels. (But on my PB MITF my legs barely worked, there was NO way I was going to successfully t-stop).

double3s
05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
My coaches want me to do a Tstop, and some of the time I actually manage this; more often I do this weird little pivot thing.

Kim to the Max
05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
for my program, I use a tango stop, but for moves, it depends...sometimes I will use a tango stop (which I find easier than a T-stop), or some variation of a snowplow/hockey stop...it just depends on what type of mood I'm in :)

skaternum
05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Even though I can do harder stops, I seem to gravitate towards a t-stop, just becuase it's the most stable. The last thing I need to be worrying about is busting my rear end before I skate. :P

Rusty Blades
05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I to use the T-stop, though very gradual. While I am settling my nerves and getting focused, I normally do some pivots (so the music person doesn't get in a hurry), and then give the judges a big SMILE before striking my opening pose - most judges will smile back - to fool them into thinking my knees aren't knocking and I am not nervous as heck :mrgreen:

herniated
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I usually do a one footed hockey stop kind of thingy.

2salch0w
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe you could add "faceplant" to the choices in the poll. :)

joysk8
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Too many nerves so I opt for the safe hockey/snowplow --- and a smile. Although in the future I would do a small inside spread eagle or pivot - again whatever is safe !

Gina10179202
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I put "Other". I am not quite sure what the thing I do is called.

You can see it in this video though > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGFBj6niyM

black
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I did something a bit different:

The judges were sat in the players bench. I skated out diagonally across the rink towards the scorekeepers bench doing the one foot glide, arms out & facing the judges thing. As I got near to the referee's crease I switched to a very deep LBI & RBO edges and did an anticlockwise circle keeping arms out. Finished with left skate nearest the boards, right in front (middle of the red line) facing the judges ready to start.

Morgail
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I usually do a one footed hockey stop kind of thingy.

Someone else does this! I'm not the only one! :) My coach hates this stop, but I started doing it as a kid and now I have trouble stopping any other way. Other skaters have told me they like it (probably because no one else does it), but I don't know. It's not the most graceful of stops. I'm working on making my t-stop more "stoppy" so I can use that instead...however, old habits die hard.

Isk8NYC
05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
I always used/use a t-stop if someone was watching. (Show/test/competition)

I've gotten in the habit of doing a one-foot FI hockey stop when it doesn't matter or when I really, really have to stop fast. It works for me.

flo
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I think the one footed hockey stop, or what I call a one footed tango stop is what I do. I keep my free leg extended and to the back.

jskater49
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I practice with a T stop but I always chicken out and do a plain snowplow stop.

patatty
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Yikes! I never thought about it before. I'm trying to remember what I actually do when I get out there. I think it's usually a hockey stop, but sometimes I think I do some kind of inside spread eagle pivot thing. I'll have to pay more attention and come up with something that actually looks good! With so many things I need to work on in the program, actually getting out there never crossed my mind!

aussieskater
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Someone else does this! I'm not the only one! :) My coach hates this stop, but I started doing it as a kid and now I have trouble stopping any other way. Other skaters have told me they like it (probably because no one else does it), but I don't know. It's not the most graceful of stops. I'm working on making my t-stop more "stoppy" so I can use that instead...however, old habits die hard.

Me three...at my first dance test a couple of weeks ago (you know, "dance" as in "supposed to be elegant" etc! :P) , as I skidded to a starting stop on the inside edge of one foot with the other foot near my knee, my coach commented "Wow! That was graceful! Time to teach you some decent stops!" :D

Morgail
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Here's a quick video of my weird one-foot hockey/snow plow stop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdmG31Kuoo

I put "Other". I am not quite sure what the thing I do is called.
You can see it in this video though > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RGFBj6niyM

Hey, I know you from youtube! ;)

aussieskater
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's a quick video of my weird one-foot hockey/snow plow stop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdmG31Kuoo

Yep, that's the one, only my free foot stay pretty close to my skating foot (rising up to the skating knee at the end), rather than nicely out in front as yours was.

herniated
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM

I like your stop!!! I do it the same way!! On the outside edge, except I do it on the Left foot with my right foot tucked into the left. Know what I mean? Not extended. Don't know how the others do it on the inside edge? My coach hates it too, but I don't care. As long as I stay upright!

flo
05-12-2008, 09:45 PM
It can be quite nice on the inside edge. I skate out and present with my arms out and on my left foot, right turned out and extended in front, then shift to the right inside with the left extended. Think of a mohawk. G&G did it as a pair.

ibreakhearts66
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM

That's the other stop I do. I think of it as the ice capades stop. The stop reminds me of this picture...

http://www.icesk8.com/collect/icecap58.jpg

I think I've seen a video where they all stop like that in a line.

I also turn the tango stop into a one foot tango stop. That's actually my most secure way of stopping. I was in a power lesson, and another (really really good) skater was coming straight my way. I had a lot of speed, as did she, and I stopped with a one-foot tango. My coach liked it and said "hey, we should put that in your program!"

SkatingOnClouds
05-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Sort of off topic here, with a question to those who get really nervous going out to start a program in a comp. I have a comp in 4 days so it's relevant for me.

Do you usually skate around a bit before taking your starting pose, or skate straight to the spot and get in the pose?

Skittl1321
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Sort of off topic here, with a question to those who get really nervous going out to start a program in a comp. I have a comp in 4 days so it's relevant for me.

Do you usually skate around a bit before taking your starting pose, or skate straight to the spot and get in the pose?

I have horrible nerves, so I feel qualified to give an answer. I glide nicely into my starting pose. My coach wanted me to do crossovers in a circle at the door (which alot of the more advanced girls from another coach did, it looks nice) but I didn't want any extra time to catch my toepicks. I did 2 strokes and a nice glide. Then went right to my pose.

Laura H
05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Ha, I just did this in our show last weekend . . . totally slid right past my spot where I was SUPPOSED to be standing for my opening pose! Any other time I can stop really well with a nice pretty T-stop, but apparently adrenalin kicked in!! :giveup: Somehow I did manage to collect myself and get to the right spot eventually . . . I was just happy I didn't fall down!!

techskater
05-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I get nervous and can tell you that I skate around a little extra (glide) and I deep breathe while I do it to clear my head.

Sessy
05-13-2008, 06:18 PM

I skate a little around to get the blood flowing. Breathe into your lower abdomen, put your hand before your lower belly and breathe in so deep that the belly touches it, then go for the starting pose and continue that breathing while you wait for the music to start.

tidesong
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I think I actually snow plow... lol But I usually like go in circles a bit so its not just a direct stop....

dbny
05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the one footed hockey stop, or what I call a one footed tango stop is what I do. I keep my free leg extended and to the back.

I'm working on that. I had it stopping just before the boards when my blades were dull. I'm just about at the point where I can do it again. Then have to get it out in the open!

mikawendy
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I do a one-footed hockey stop with the non-stopping foot off of the ice--sort of a sideways skid on my inside edge. It's probably not the best thing in the world as I sometimes stick my skating hip out to do it.

I can do T stops but can do this one-footed hockey stop much faster than a T stop.

When I'm going backwards and have to stop in an emergency, I do a one-footed hockey stop going backward.

RoaringSkates
05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Hee-hee, I always plan to do a lovely show stop (which is what we call the front t-stop here) but end up doing a really ungainly snowplow because I am so incredibly nervous that it's a wonder I can stop at all.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I often also end up doing a snowplow stop, simply because I'm so nervous.