View Full Version : hardest thing you're working on right now?

littlekateskate
05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I was sitting here making a list of things for my daughter to work on tomorrow at the rink. (always seems like i cant think of things when we get there).

And i thought.. How fun..

What is the hardest thing right now you are working on that is just driving you nuts??

For my DD its the mohawk.

dbny
05-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Preliminary alternating threes on the line. They are getting better, but still quite :frus: :frus: :frus:

There are technically more difficult things that I've got already, but these threes are the hardest for me.

Kim to the Max
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
My axel! I have been working on them for what feels like forever....I couldn't land that jump for the life of me when I was 14, and now I have been working on it again, and it's so close, but not landed yet...a couple of the coaches have commented that we need to have a party when I finally land it because I work so hard on them...they are now further around and I'm pulling in a lot better, but I am just so :frus::frus::frus::frus::frus::frus: with them...

RachelSk8er
05-10-2008, 10:19 PM
The diagonal patterns on the junior MIF test (goal is to test in July).

Improving twizzles and loops for use in step sequences in freestyle program.

And I just started freestyle again this year for the first time since I was a kid, so getting my axel back and improving spins so I can be competitive in silver.

Clarice
05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Gold MIF. Brackets. Ugh.

Kim to the Max
05-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Gold MIF. Brackets. Ugh.

I feel your pain!! I complained about those and when I finally passed by Intermediate moves, the first thing out of my mouth was "I don't ever have to do brackets again!" But then, at synchro tryouts last night we were supposed to be doing 3-turns in the field and I so wanted to do the brackets in the field because I had been doing those for months!! :oops: oops :)

ibreakhearts66
05-10-2008, 10:53 PM
double axel. NEVER gonna be able to land one, i'm convinced.

LFO rockers are :frus::frus::frus: too

flo
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I actually like the brackets, but when you (I) fall....splat!

Probably double sal when I get back to it.

jazzpants
05-11-2008, 01:13 AM
All of my "in-between" skating at the moment are my :frus: element right now!!! (Meaning proper crossovers where it's more of a progressive than an actual crossover, mohawks and 3turns at speed, etc.) But DAMMIT...I am determined to get it right!!! :twisted:

Ice Dancer
05-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Salchow. I seem to get no speed into it so I run out of juice. I did land a couple yesterday for the first time but they were clumpy and ugly and probably looked nothing like a Salchow whatsoever!

airyfairy76
05-11-2008, 02:43 AM
The three banes of my life at the moment are:

Turns at speed (fast 3-turns and mohawks): I posted about this a couple of months ago, and still giving me a headache. Getting a bit faster, but it is taking soooooo long!
Double Twizzles: Just cannot get my weight in the right place to do the second one.
Backward inside 3-turn: Less said about them, the better!

NickiT
05-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Right now I'm working on healing so that I can get back on the ice. A freak accident three weeks ago left me with badly torn hamstings and damaged abductor muscles on one leg. I'm having regular physio to help promote the healing and now the injury site is improving but I have problems with my knee and tightness in my calf muscle as a result of the damage done.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Oh Nicki, how awful! Will you be all right in time for Bracknell?

I'm struggling with presentation at the moment - my main issue is "free leg creep", where my free leg doesn't stay where I put it! Also pointing my toes.

And the rocker-bracket that I really do want in our free dance, and right now isn't happening.

For Husband, it is loop jump, flip jump and camel spin!

patatty
05-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Trying to land a good axel in my program. I have no trouble doing an axel by itself, but when that music is playing . . .arghhh!. I moved it from the end of the program to the beginning, and it's working much better, but we'll see if it actually happens in the competition next Saturday.

looplover
05-11-2008, 07:19 AM
oh, so many things...:cry:

Flip. I just do not understand this mental block I have with this jump! GRR
Camel. I have to try it again with my newly-sharpened skates.
Power pulls.
RBI 3-turn to passing standard in silver moves -that's a toughie for me. I think the LBI one will be better but I haven't done this pattern in front of my coach yet.

Black Sheep
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm actually enjoying learning this stuff. I'm getting ideas for my next footwork pattern for my next program! 8-)

NickiT
05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh Nicki, how awful! Will you be all right in time for Bracknell?

I'm struggling with presentation at the moment - my main issue is "free leg creep", where my free leg doesn't stay where I put it! Also pointing my toes.

And the rocker-bracket that I really do want in our free dance, and right now isn't happening.

For Husband, it is loop jump, flip jump and camel spin!

Thanks Annabel
I'm really not sure. I'm sure I'll be back on the ice by then, but not sure if I'll be back by the closing date and I know I won't be able to go straight into a competition after weeks off with little preparation, especially with the degree of the damage I've done - my physio said she's never seen bruising like it. It's a case of wait and see but I'm feeling positive that I'll be back on the ice before too long, even if I have to keep it at a slow pace to ease myself back in.

Nicki

Skittl1321
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Hardest is kind of a weird word. The most difficult skill I'm working on right now is probably a camel. The things I've been working on longest (and therefore the hardest for me) is a two foot turn at synchro speed and a right to left inside mohawk at synchro speed.

Mel On Ice
05-11-2008, 12:30 PM
axel, silver moves, not getting all scrunchy on the lutz

TreSk8sAZ
05-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Getting my axel and double sal NOT to be two-footed! Grr. Also, getting used to new blades!

Gina10179202
05-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Technically the hardest thing I am working on is double lutz, but I find double loop harder.

SynchroSk8r114
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Double sal-double loop and double sal-double toe. I'm landing 'em, but the second double's always cheated.

Skate@Delaware
05-11-2008, 03:41 PM
getting back ON the ice! Since my surgery I wasn't allowed. I've been released and given the green light "with caution" i.e. common sense....but i can't seem to get going (plus it's a 1.5 hr drive each way depending on the traffic).

Maybe my chicken feathers are showing...:giveup: but I'm a little more tentative lately...

techskater
05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Getting the double toe to not be pimpy small, especially in the program.

Getting the double loop back and working on the double flip.

B-3-B on the dang Novice moves (all the rest of the moves are progressing nicely and could be test ready in a month, but the second set of the four B-3-B suck)

Trying to find my foot on the back camel. :frus:

sk8lady
05-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Any freaking jump beyond a salchow or toe loop.

I'm working on a back outside hydroblade but it's mostly a question of having the time to do it when I'm not working on dance or the FREAKING JUMPS. :yum:)

Scarlett
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
The sit spin = bane of my skating existence.

FlyAndCrash
05-11-2008, 07:55 PM
My program! I knew there was a reason that I hated banging music, and now I know why... it's half impossible to get the trick on the bang! I also hate footwork and there is a footwork section for my prejuv program. Everything works, just not very well of very easily. I think I'm one of those people who look like they're trying really hard to remember where to put their foot next!

I gotta say those are the hardest things I'm working on because my coach isn't letting me do any fun stuff! Grr... I went straight from the stupid moves test to working on my program.

winx514
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I just started skating in January and I advanced levels so much! In Hawaii, it is a place for swimming, not figure skating. There is only 1 ice skating rink in the whole state. I am currently in ISI Beta level.

Hardest Trick: T-Stop:Left Foot Behind...

__________________________________________________ _______________I'm right handed, that's why!:cry:

kander
05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Centering spins consistently. I've been working on it my whole life and I'm still not there.

FlyAndCrash
05-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I just started skating in January and I advanced levels so much! In Hawaii, it is a place for swimming, not figure skating. There is only 1 ice skating rink in the whole state. I am currently in ISI Beta level.

Hardest Trick: T-Stop:Left Foot Behind...

__________________________________________________ _______________I'm right handed, that's why!:cry:

Yeah... I still can't to do that one very well. After doing some stroking, one girl started a very nice t-stop with the left foot back and then preceded to some how sit down on the ice. We think she leaned too far back, but we aren't sure. :giveup: I just did the t-stop with the other foot.

jcookie1982
05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
The hardest thing I'm working on right now is trying to find the time to get back on the ice!

Sessy
05-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Well... I'm not skating right now so I'm not really working on it but I'd say sit spin.

sk8_4fun
05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Sitspin and twizzles for me! same old story, just cant get low enough.:giveup:

MusicSkateFan
05-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Axel

Coach says my drills are looking good and that I am on the right path. I need to allow myself to finish the rotation.

Bunny Hop
05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Cross-behinds. :frus: I now have a complete mental block about them. I really like the Rhythm Blues, except for the darn cross-behinds. If I could do the dance without them I would be a very happy woman!

Oh, and spins, but as I couldn't even spin when I skated as a teenager, that isn't exactly a surprise, so doesn't frustrate me nearly as much.

sexyskates
05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
The axel!

Also trying forever to get rid of the wiggly flutzing on my lutz.
Backsitspin lower and on the outside edge, and flying camel.
Intermediate MITF (back double inside 3's - sooo weak).

Bill_S
05-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Getting clean, consistent brackets for the Gold Moves test. If it weren't for those, I'd probably have passed that test by now.

GordonSk8erBoi
05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
De-scraping my back crossovers.

phoenix
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Forward outside loops

new twizzle exercise: FI double twizzle, pull/change, BI twizzle. Totally can't do it!

black
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
A consistent camel spin :frus: its getting there though... 8-)

amyvw
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Getting used to my new skates....lol. They feel great. I'm just trying to un-do the damage from years worth of compensating for poor fit from my previous 3 pair. I feel like I have to re-learn *everything* all over again.

doubletoe
05-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Double toeloop. Ever since correcting my takeoff so that I don't "toe-axel", I have done nothing but spazzed out whenever I try to do a double toe, even on the harness. :cry:

Morgail
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
-Camel-back camel, and back camels by themselves.
-Sitting up straighter in my sit spin.
-Refining my jump technique so I can (hopefully!) move on to learning the axel.
-Oh, and brackets....ugh.

NoVa Sk8r
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
-*Star* lift. Can do it on a straight linn but not on a diagonal (the way it's got to be done in the program). Ugh.

-Changing arms in a forward inside death spiral. My left bicep feels like it is being ripped out of my arm.

-RBI 3-turns (on the double 3-turns moves)--the bane of my existence!

singerskates
05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Cleaning up Fiesta Tango to be ready for testing at the end of the month. Trying to get another rotation onto my 1 and half rotation camel spin. Two more rotations onto my upright back spin. Getting my right foot to heal up so that when I land on it, I don't allow my left foot to touch the ice on my fully rotated flips and loops.

And the thing I'm having the most trouble with is to get past the 12 revs my coach can do in his sit spin. I so want to beat his 12 revs, just for bragging rights. I'm at 7 or 8 revs right now. I need to eliminate everything that can slow my spin entry down and get the balancing better to speed of the sit to get past 12 revs. LOL

ibreakhearts66
05-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Double toeloop. Ever since correcting my takeoff so that I don't "toe-axel", I have done nothing but spazzed out whenever I try to do a double toe, even on the harness. :cry:

i know i've said this over and over, but it'll come! I promise! I should try to find time to come to your rink and we can work on them together :)

momsk8er
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Loop jump, getting a tiny bit of a cheated jump after 30 years of trying!!!

Back inside 3s - cannot get my weight in the right spot for these.

smelltheice
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
overhead lifts. I am still building my self up to make them easier

herniated
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
breaking in new skates! :evil:

doubletoe
05-13-2008, 04:25 PM
i know i've said this over and over, but it'll come! I promise! I should try to find time to come to your rink and we can work on them together :)

Yes!! Please!! PM me. :D

techskater
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Now - working on a new double toe drill from another coach at our rink which totally whigs me out. She got it from another coach at another rink and it's helped one of her skaters improve her 2T take off. I am trying it but it's.....odd.

kayskate
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Other than getting motivated?
Backward layback
Leaning back sit spin

Kay

manduh
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I just started skating in January so I'm not doing anything overly complicated...but inside 3 turns should die a painful death. :evil:

Sessy
05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
I just started skating in January so I'm not doing anything overly complicated...but inside 3 turns should die a painful death. :evil:

Keep the free leg tucked and not in front of you. ;)

starskate6.0
05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
staying on my feet ... :lol:

kimberley801
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Scratch spin....can't seem to pull my free leg in!

3-turns went to crap. I started focusing on jumps and seemed to have lost my 3 turns. I can do them, they're just a horrible scratchy mess, especially the LFO3, which was my best before...

On a positive note, I finally got the rhythm of a toeloop! And discovered I can do salchows both in the same day.

doubletoe
05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Scratch spin....can't seem to pull my free leg in!

3-turns went to crap. I started focusing on jumps and seemed to have lost my 3 turns. I can do them, they're just a horrible scratchy mess, especially the LFO3, which was my best before...

Hmm. . . The LFO 3-turn is the basis for the scratch spin, so you might get them both back once you figure out the problem. You might just be rushing the edge.
I remember when I was first learning the scratch spin, I would try to pull my free leg in against all that centrifugal force and I pulled my groin muscle several times. I finally found out I was rushing the entrance edge and trying to bring my free leg to the front too soon. My coach made me do it from a T position on a line and make a small half circle with entrance edge so that I came back to the line before I brought the free leg to the front and initiated the spin. Looking at my tracings, I was kind of shocked that I wasn't really coming back to the line when I thought I was, but once I got that down, it completely fixed my scratch spin. You might want to try it. :)

xofivebyfive
05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm gonna say double salchow or double loop.. or axel. And back camel.

twokidsskatemom
05-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Now - working on a new double toe drill from another coach at our rink which totally whigs me out. She got it from another coach at another rink and it's helped one of her skaters improve her 2T take off. I am trying it but it's.....odd.

so did it help and what is it?

blue111moon
05-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Hardest thing right now is new choreography. What I HAVE to put in doesn't fit with the music and what fits I can't do.

Thin-Ice
05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Hardest thing right now is new choreography. What I HAVE to put in doesn't fit with the music and what fits I can't do.

WOW.. you sound like me. At the rink on Wednesday, my coach was showing me some footwork.. and another skater came by and said "Don't look so skeptical... you'll be able to do what she's doing." And all I could think was "First I have to figure out what she's doing, then I'll figure out if I can do it or not." But as a good friend told me, we WILL get it... eventually. That's why we're working on it now.. not just a week before a test or competition.

looplover
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I have to change mine to the 3-turn patterns in silver moves! yeesh. I look like a contortionist out there :mrgreen:

Skittl1321
05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I look like a contortionist out there :mrgreen:
Then they should just go ahead and pass you up through senior! They all look like contortionists :mrgreen:

looplover
05-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Then they should just go ahead and pass you up through senior! They all look like contortionists :mrgreen:

Ha! I have to make it look like I'm doing it on purpose (I'm now perfecting the "looplover shoulder variation"):P

je
05-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Another vote here for brackets on the Gold moves test. I no longer consider them spawn of the devil, though, now that I can actually turn some of them and even have an exit edge. A close second is centering spins, a multi-year journey. (Pun intended.)

Johanna

Helen88
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Salchow 8O

SO not happening.

RinkRat321
05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
my double lutz & double toe(:giveup: that jump is impossible). and my pre juv and juvenille moves.