View Full Version : pair skate or ice dance

smelltheice
05-07-2008, 04:27 PM
If you had to decide between the two disciplines, which way would you go?

Personally, pair skate all the way!! what is life without risk?!!!

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Ice dance! Pairs is too scary for my unbrave self, LOL!

Skittl1321
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
If I had to choose now- I'd go with ice dance.
If I could have chosen years ago (or in a world where I hadn't broken my neck) I'd say PAIRS!

For me Pairs is without a doubt the best discipline of skating.

coskater64
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Well I would need Yao Ming as a partner for pairs, since I am 5'9" and he would have to be seriously wicked strong. Besides the ice dancing is more of a challenge for me and I really love edgework. That said, I would not really be thrilled at the idea of being dropped 8-10 feet straight down.

lovepairs
05-07-2008, 06:42 PM
If I had to choose now- I'd go with ice dance.
If I could have chosen years ago (or in a world where I hadn't broken my neck) I'd say PAIRS!

For me Pairs is without a doubt the best discipline of skating.

Hi Jess,

I did fall 8' down and sitting here with a broken back, I'd choose Pairs hands down, any day. In fact, I'm off to the neurosurgeon tomorrow and if he gives me the go ahead, Pairs it is!

jazzpants
05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
If I have to choose, definitely ice dance! It's my choice if God forbids I physically can't do any more jumps in skating.

flo
05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Pairs. I like learning the skills in ice dancing, but the freedom of pairs.

Skittl1321
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi Jess,

I did fall 8' down and sitting here with a broken back, I'd choose Pairs hands down, any day. In fact, I'm off to the neurosurgeon tomorrow and if he gives me the go ahead, Pairs it is!

Well once you're back out there I have no excuse. Except lack of a partner. I heard a rumor this week there is an adult male at our rink who skates CW! Of course, he probably isn't interested in pairs, I don't know who it is, and I need to lose 30 lbs. Always excuses :)

lovepairs
05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Jess,

What's "CW?" Anyway, I was thinking about this thread last night, and it's really a very interesting thread, because I think it's often a question about skating as a "team" as oppossed to skating "singles."

However, putting all aside, such as fear of falling from heights, risk factors--seen some really bad falls from dance lately, too, such as the Canadian team at the Olympics, and that was from a low lift, as well as more recently the fall that Melissa Gregory and Dennis Petrikov suffered, also a low lift--I was wondering if some people would choose Dance over Pairs, or visa versa, because of the difference in the "culture" between the two disciplines?

This may be sterotyping, which is why I think it might be interesting to look at this type of choice from this angle, but I think Dance is often seen as more "refined" and "conservative", or maybe even "heady" while, on the other hand, Pairs is seen as being more (for lack of better term)
"Scrappier," "renegade," and more "physically liberating?"

Maybe each descipline attracks a different personality type that fits into one, or the other culture better?

For instance, years ago I belonged to the Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society. This is one of the oldest "Dance Clubs" around, and probably not representative of many dance clubs in the country. However, they were big on the "Social Dance" and had these "Teas" that went along with it. It was all very "Main Line Philadelphia" in terms of a culture/social environment. I participated in several of them, but never felt comfortable with the whole "Tea" thing, but, sort of enjoyed learning how to dance. I think a lot of my decision not to dance, but rather do pairs was based upon feeling more comfortable with the pairs community; it just being a better "social" fit for me.

Rusty Blades
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
If I was 40 years younger, PAIRS in a heart beat! (Assuming I could find a partner of sufficient stature :yum: )

littlekateskate
05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
All pairs. Its way more fun and exciting to watch!

SynchroSk8r114
05-08-2008, 09:47 AM
What's "CW?"

Clockwise (as opposed to counter clockwise).

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Pairs. I like learning the skills in ice dancing, but the freedom of pairs.
Well, I'm a dancer and I'll stay that way! I don't even like watching pairs (until you get to the replays!) as it scares me. But Interpretive Pairs/couples is fun, as you get to do some pairs moves in there if you want. I don't think we are doing a number this year, but we have done a couple of numbers in the past that have been great fun - people still talk about our Leader of the Pack routine (this won't Italicise for some reason and I don't know why!) and it must be 8 or 9 years since we did it!

flo
05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Mrs Redboots, I'm with you! Combining pairs and interpretive is great - my two favorite events.

GordonSk8erBoi
05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I would love to skate pairs if my skating skills were stronger (and *I* were stronger). Maybe someday.

Isk8NYC
05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I vant to dance. I did pairs for a short time and it's not for me.

flo
05-08-2008, 08:20 PM
iSK8NYC - At what level do you get to make up your own dances? Do you think more people would be interested in dance if they could do this earlier?

Isk8NYC
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
iSK8NYC - At what level do you get to make up your own dances? Do you think more people would be interested in dance if they could do this earlier?Who me? *snicker* I don't ice dance; freestyle baby! I was just being dramatic in answering the OP. I don't even REMEMBER passing the Dutch Waltz, yet the USFSA says I did, but that's the only dance test I have on record.

Dancing with my twins doesn't count - I always have to skate the guy's part with the short little monkeys. (It took me three tries to spell "monkeys" right - I kept spelling it like the singing group. lol)

A few weeks ago, I skated a Dutch Waltz with a partner for the first time in 20 years. It was a lot more fun than I remember from my ice dance club days. Tonight, we talked about getting together to ice dance a bit more. Could be fun, right?

So I Vant To Be Ice Dancer! Mainly because I think it will force me to clean up my stomp-footing on the ice. It's all about me, isn't it?

To answer your question, I think original solo dances would attract more people to ice dancing. I'm not sure about partnered original dances though; it would be difficult to get two people on the same page if they weren't experienced skaters.

RachelSk8er
05-09-2008, 07:41 AM
To answer your question, I think original solo dances would attract more people to ice dancing. I'm not sure about partnered original dances though; it would be difficult to get two people on the same page if they weren't experienced skaters.

There are a few competitions where they have an original solo dance event.

ANs did switch from an original dance to a free dance for next year (for pre-gold, gold, and champ) so that should be exciting. Teams will now be able to keep the same programs from one year to the next so the overall quality of the programs should go way up and there will be more variety. This year wasn't too bad since the OD category was so broad that there was more variety, but some years when you get a category like the tango and there is one fairly recent popular piece off of a movie soundtrack that every other team seems to be doing, it gets old.

Mrs Redboots
05-09-2008, 08:28 AM
iSK8NYC - At what level do you get to make up your own dances? Do you think more people would be interested in dance if they could do this earlier?
Here in the UK you can test your free dance right from the word "go" - there are four tests in each level for dance: compulsory dances, free dance, original/variation dance (variation the first 2 levels; Original after that) and Skating Moves.

I'm not sure what the rules about Moves are, but the other three tests can be taken totally randomly - you could test up to level 10 or whatever the highest level is these days in compulsory dances and then go back and start at the beginning on one of the other levels, if you like. We have level 3 compulsories and level 1 free, and as yet, no variation/OD tests at all.

If you want to coach or judge you have to have a "full level 6" in the relevant discipline (less necessary for coaches, these days, but it does save time!), and the elite skaters must fill in the gaps, too, but for the likes of us....

RoaringSkates
05-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Ice dance, because my goals in skating are all about the quality of my skating - edges, footwork and etc., and not about spins and jumps.

Clare
05-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I am in awe of Pairs skaters, really, it amazes me.

For me, a lifelong wimp, it's dance. Ice dance is the only thing that has ever made me feel even vaguely elegant so I'm sticking with it!

jazzpants
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
(Assuming I could find a partner of sufficient stature :yum: )But of course... that is a very important feature... :twisted: :yum:

My NYC coach is probably the closest to that for me... but well, ummmm... he's my coach, he's an excellent technical coach to boot, and he's a family friend to me and DH!!! Why ruin a good thing?

To answer your question, I think original solo dances would attract more people to ice dancing. I'm not sure about partnered original dances though; it would be difficult to get two people on the same page if they weren't experienced skaters.THAT is exactly why I want to do ice dance! It's hard to find a good partner in my neck of the woods to do any type of skating with. I have enough drama in my marriage as is w/o adding another partner into the mix!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (But seriously, I have a good friendly relationship with the male skaters at my rink. Again, "why ruin a good thing?")

Also, the scheduling is bad on my part, since my job refuses to schedule anything and I have to schedule around their "whim" and reschedule as such. (Never mind both my local coaches' schedules... :roll: )

Dancing with my twins doesn't count - I always have to skate the guy's part with the short little monkeys. (It took me three tries to spell "monkeys" right - I kept spelling it like the singing group. lol)

Here we come, walking down the street...
We get the funniest looks from... everyone we meet...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(It's one of my favorite shows growing up! I had a thing for Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz before I found out that this was in syndication...and they're probably old, wrinkling and ugly now. :P :lol: )

icedancer2
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Not having a partner is not really restrictive in ice dance, despite what some people think. I have been ice-dancing for 20 years and have never had a steady partner.

What it takes is having other people interested in ice-dance. wherever I have lived there has been an active group of dancers - most of which do not have partners! We get together for social dance or just working on dances in groups - partnering each other, learning the steps and the nuances of the dances - any dancer has to do a LOT of solo work - if you just learn with a partner then I don't think you ever really learn the dances - especially if that partner is holding you up!!

Pairs, on the other hand, you need a partner. I think...8-)

RachelSk8er
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Not having a partner is not really restrictive in ice dance, despite what some people think. I have been ice-dancing for 20 years and have never had a steady partner.

What it takes is having other people interested in ice-dance. wherever I have lived there has been an active group of dancers - most of which do not have partners! We get together for social dance or just working on dances in groups - partnering each other, learning the steps and the nuances of the dances - any dancer has to do a LOT of solo work - if you just learn with a partner then I don't think you ever really learn the dances - especially if that partner is holding you up!!

Pairs, on the other hand, you need a partner. I think...8-)

That's why I think it will be interesting to see how the solo dance goes next year at AN...at silver and above, I bet those who test standard track and are forced to do more solo work will stand out a lot stronger against those testing the adult track who only have to do the partnered test. I know those on the adult test track still have to practice the dances a lot on their own, but there are a lot of spots on tests that are MUCH easier to get through partnered (like the restart on the silver tango for the ladies--getting going after the inside 3 is hard on your own but so easy when you've got the partner in front of you taking the push in his pattern). I also wonder that since they will probably group men and ladies together, will men have to do the ladies steps? It might be a case-by-case basis, but some dances where steps differ are much easier solo for the men.

Isk8NYC
05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Not having a partner is not really restrictive in ice dance, despite what some people think. <snip>When I belonged to the dance club, they announced the dance and all the dancers would skate to the music in pairs or singly. You learned by following along with others. I think solo is different. You don't have to rely on or carry anyone else and if you mess up you don't impact a partner, you just keep going.

Eeek. I sound like I actually know how to ice dance. I don't.

jazzpants
05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Not having a partner is not really restrictive in ice dance, despite what some people think. I have been ice-dancing for 20 years and have never had a steady partner.It's not just that I don't have a partner that kept me from ice dancing. It's the time and the money! I am overloaded with stuff to do as is with my freestyle stuff! For instance, I want to start working on Silver Moves and finish up my jump stuff to the lutz this year and get my camel spin right so I can compete with it and both my sit and back sit to look like a sit spin. And of course, there's the quest for really good "in-between" skating (i.e. the crossovers and the mohawks) which are my COACHES' goals for me!!! :twisted: (This last point is why I want someone with a strong ice dance background to work on this... and I already do... :P )

There's only so much time and money for skating, unfortunately for me. Maybe if I win the Lotto and don't have to work I will add on ice dancing to my list of things to do on ice. That and HOCKEY!!! :twisted:

Yes, I'm tempted by the dark side. Sad but true! :oops: There's a lot of HOTTIES playing pick up hockey after the Monday night public session!!! And behind all the smelly hockey gear... lies a good man with a heart of gold!!! Forgive me, fellow figure skaters!!! (Psst... Are you taking notes, Rusty Blades??? ;) )

RachelSk8er
05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
It's not just that I don't have a partner that kept me from ice dancing. It's the time and the money! I am overloaded with stuff to do as is with my freestyle stuff! For instance, I want to start working on Silver Moves and finish up my jump stuff to the lutz this year and get my camel spin right so I can compete with it and both my sit and back sit to look like a sit spin. And of course, there's the quest for really good "in-between" skating (i.e. the crossovers and the mohawks) which are my COACHES' goals for me!!! :twisted: (This last point is why I want someone with a strong ice dance background to work on this... and I already do... :P )

There's only so much time and money for skating, unfortunately for me. Maybe if I win the Lotto and don't have to work I will add on ice dancing to my list of things to do on ice. That and HOCKEY!!! :twisted:

Yes, I'm tempted by the dark side. Sad but true! :oops: There's a lot of HOTTIES playing pick up hockey after the Monday night public session!!! And behind all the smelly hockey gear... lies a good man with a heart of gold!!! Forgive me, fellow figure skaters!!! (Psst... Are you taking notes, Rusty Blades??? ;) )

You could always pick a dance or two at a time and slowly work on them for 10 min or so, as a warm-up on your sessions. The preliminary dances would be pretty easy for someone who is working on adult silver MIF to get through. And it would improve your overall skating (which is one of your goals). Being an overall good/strong skater will help you improve your spins/jumps. I've seen a lot of skaters who overall had solid basic skills do very well, even beating skaters who may have had better jumps and spins.

I agree on the time crunch though. I'm putting dance away for 6 months or so to focus more on getting through my junior and senior MIF tests because I just don't have time for everything.

kander
05-09-2008, 11:34 PM
You could always pick a dance or two at a time and slowly work on them for 10 min or so, as a warm-up on your sessions. The preliminary dances would be pretty easy for someone who is working on adult silver MIF to get through. And it would improve your overall skating (which is one of your goals). Being an overall good/strong skater will help you improve your spins/jumps. I've seen a lot of skaters who overall had solid basic skills do very well, even beating skaters who may have had better jumps and spins.

I agree on the time crunch though. I'm putting dance away for 6 months or so to focus more on getting through my junior and senior MIF tests because I just don't have time for everything.

It's not just that I don't have a partner that kept me from ice dancing. It's the time and the money! I am overloaded with stuff to do as is with my freestyle stuff! For instance, I want to start working on Silver Moves and finish up my jump stuff to the lutz this year and get my camel spin right so I can compete with it and both my sit and back sit to look like a sit spin. And of course, there's the quest for really good "in-between" skating (i.e. the crossovers and the mohawks) which are my COACHES' goals for me!!! :twisted: (This last point is why I want someone with a strong ice dance background to work on this... and I already do... :P )

That's the same reason I don't ice dance. I'd love to, but I just don't have the time. Also, I think I have "ice dance dyslexia". For some reason I can't remember two moves in a row.

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2008, 05:22 AM
(It's one of my favorite shows growing up! I had a thing for Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz before I found out that this was in syndication...and they're probably old, wrinkling and ugly now. :P :lol: )
I remember them first time around! And Mickey Dolenz is still utterly delicious - when I was 14 I had a poster of him stuck above my bed. They were the first manufactured group, but I still loved them!

When I belonged to the dance club, they announced the dance and all the dancers would skate to the music in pairs or singly. You learned by following along with others. I think solo is different. You don't have to rely on or carry anyone else and if you mess up you don't impact a partner, you just keep going.
This is what happens at my club. I quite see why the standard-track makes you solo as well as partner, by the way - ours used to, but doesn't any more, and in some ways it's a loss, as they are complementary. Certainly so far as compulsory dances are concerned. Some things, I find, are easier with a partner, and others aren't.

FSWer
05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm only Learn to Skate. But I'd love to try Pairs.

CanAmSk8ter
05-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I'd encourage anyone who can to try hockey! It's a ton of fun, and if you air out your equipment after playing until it's dry, it takes much longer to develop that disgusting stench. I've had most of my stuff for two years and I think you'd have to stick your whole head in my bag right after I played to smell anything.

Rusty Blades
05-17-2008, 04:44 PM

My neighbour is only a few years older than me and plays "old-timers hockey". He had suggested that there is an abundance of single men who play. So it's ok Jazz - the same thought has crossed my mind to 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
And lots of people do figure skating as well as hockey - I know one couple who do pairs, dance and hockey, and the lady does singles as well!