View Full Version : Rinks that change their schedules every week

Query
05-06-2008, 08:12 AM
How do these rinks hope to attract people? Especially people taking lessons, which is a lot of what some sessions (dance, freestyle, some of the less busy publics) are.

I suggest we start dropping notes in their suggestions boxes, after we’ve had to cancel a lesson or session because of changes.

Or otherwise contacting business management (or equivalent) if they don’t have suggestion boxes.

They need to understand it isn’t good for business to make it impractical for people to go or meet there on a regular basis.

They think relatively unbusy sessions can be exchanged for a fully paid rental at a net profit. But that's why some of these sessions and their rinks are less busy in the first place.

Any other ideas?

littlekateskate
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I have heard of changing the schedule monthly but it typically only slightly changes nothing drastic.

That sucks if your rink does! I am suprised they can keep business with it that way.

GordonSk8erBoi
05-06-2008, 05:02 PM
How do these rinks hope to attract people? Especially people taking lessons, which is a lot of what some sessions (dance, freestyle, some of the less busy publics) are.

I suggest we start dropping notes in their suggestions boxes, after we’ve had to cancel a lesson or session because of changes.

Or otherwise contacting business management (or equivalent) if they don’t have suggestion boxes.

They need to understand it isn’t good for business to make it impractical for people to go or meet there on a regular basis.

They think relatively unbusy sessions can be exchanged for a fully paid rental at a net profit. But that's why some of these sessions and their rinks are less busy in the first place.

Any other ideas?

In my (limited) experience, this is a bad sign. The one time I saw this a lot the rink was having serious financial difficulties and closed shortly thereafter.

Query
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
In my (limited) experience, this is a bad sign. The one time I saw this a lot the rink was having serious financial difficulties and closed shortly thereafter.

Several rinks around here do it, some for a long time. One says to call right before freestyle sessions, so they can arrange last minute rentals.

I may be wrong about this, but I think what saves each of the 40+ rinks within about 100 miles of D.C. is that each of the others has dubious management practices too.

I love especially badly managed rinks - the sessions are empty. But constant times make it easier to arrange lessons. I'm surprised coaches don't point out to management that having lots of coaches teach lessons helps create future repeat business.

School figures are skating's equivalent of the Latin Mass.

I'm not Catholic, but isn't the music of the Latin Mass wonderful?

Fort Dupont Ice Arena (in DC) is offering a couple sessions of school figure lessons this summer. They are booked full or nearly so. Lots of people must love the Latin Mass.

kayskate
05-07-2008, 06:22 AM
My guess is they have so little business/income from the sessions that are being canceled that if something better comes along, such as a hockey team or private party that rents the ice, they go for it. Business is slow now in a lot of rinks. Seems school hockey is over and public attendance is dwindling. Summer camps have not started yet.

Kay

GordonSk8erBoi
05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Several rinks around here do it, some for a long time. One says to call right before freestyle sessions, so they can arrange last minute rentals.

I may be wrong about this, but I think what saves each of the 40+ rinks within about 100 miles of D.C. is that each of the others has dubious management practices too.

I love especially badly managed rinks - the sessions are empty. But constant times make it easier to arrange lessons. I'm surprised coaches don't point out to management that having lots of coaches teach lessons helps create future repeat business.

I'm not Catholic, but isn't the music of the Latin Mass wonderful?

Fort Dupont Ice Arena (in DC) is offering a couple sessions of school figure lessons this summer. They are booked full or nearly so. Lots of people must love the Latin Mass.

Yes, a lot of people love the Latin Mass.

Figures seem to be making a small comeback, but only among adults. After the PCAS figures event a number of folks (including myself) are working on them now.

icedancer2
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, a lot of people love the Latin Mass.

Figures seem to be making a small comeback, but only among adults. After the PCAS figures event a number of folks (including myself) are working on them now.

Actually there are a few kids who are also working on them. In secret I think.
:twisted: