View Full Version : How did you get into the Discipline you do?

FSWer
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok Kids!!!! Time to tell me how you got into the Discipline you do? If u do more them one,please tell about all. Please include each of your Disciplines. For me.....I'mnot sure if Learn to Skate would be considered being ina Discipline. Or just a level. But I got into it from being adicted to Skating all these years and watching it on TV. Ok Kids.....GO!!!!

jcookie1982
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
My dad got me into skating at a very young age. He used to take me to skate on the mall in DC in the winter. Watching skating on TV made me want to start taking lessons.

I had always wanted to try synchro since I saw one of the local teams perform an exhibition at the public session when I was younger. I didn't join a team though until almost 10 years after that.

Sessy
05-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Well, I wanted to ice dance originally when I crossed over from ballroom dancing, mainly cuz I was told adults don't learn to jump, but then I discovered that the only ice dance club around here has only middle-aged and retired people with bad breath, and no split in levels of ability at all. And after that, I discovered I enjoyed jumping and falling on my butt a LOT, so... that's how.

Skittl1321
05-06-2008, 07:27 AM
After finishing LTS it was pretty much natural to go into singles freestyle. I got a private coach and started working on freestyle skills. I did a show and recently did my first competition.

When I was little I read an article in "American Girl" magazine about synchro teams and always wanted to do that. When I found out our rink had an adult synchro team I waited until I was a strong enough skater to keep up (I still need a bit of work on that) and joined the team.

I start ice dance this weekend. That came about because I needed some sort of change and don't really like to jump. I'm not giving freestyle up because I LOVE to spin. We'll see if I become an ice dancer though!

FSWer
05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
After finishing LTS it was pretty much natural to go into singles freestyle. I got a private coach and started working on freestyle skills. I did a show and recently did my first competition.

When I was little I read an article in "American Girl" magazine about synchro teams and always wanted to do that. When I found out our rink had an adult synchro team I waited until I was a strong enough skater to keep up (I still need a bit of work on that) and joined the team.

I start ice dance this weekend. That came about because I needed some sort of change and don't really like to jump. I'm not giving freestyle up because I LOVE to spin. We'll see if I become an ice dancer though!

That is sooooooo COOL!!!!!! I didn't even know American Girl was connected with Synchro.

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2008, 09:10 AM
When I learnt to skate, which was more years ago than I care to remember, Adults Didn't Jump or Spin; Adults Danced. This wasn't actually true, even then, but obviously my first coach believed it. And I was doing solo dance and rather loving it, and then Husband got a dodgy knee and had to stop jumping temporarily.... honestly, you know, I couldn't get that man on to a dance floor for love nor money for the first 20 years of our marriage and now, as long as said floor is made of ice, I can't get him off! He's still a tad dubious about wooden floors, but we did manage a dance at our daughter's wedding!

Rusty Blades
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
When I started to skate the first time (about 1963) I got "fished in" because there was an older boy in the club who was BIG (tall & heavy set, not fat) who wanted to do pairs but the girls in the club were all youngsters and hardly came up to his chest. I was 14 (skinny) and 5' 9" so I was "recruited" to become his partner. He was an EXCELLENT skater and we worked together for a couple of years. When his parents were killed, he retired from skating to run the family business and I went Freestyle until my wreck in 1969.

When I came back to skating 36 years later, I figured at my age and in my condition, I would just be doing Interpretive but my coach has me in Freestyle now and I enjoy it. I did love pairs but, at 58 years of age, I don't think I ever want to be that high above the ice again! 8O8-)