View Full Version : Interp Rules

skaternum
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I've been off the ice for 2.5 years and am miles away from being able to do a freeskate, but I'm thinking I might be able to eek out an interp. I seem to recall seeing that there was a slight change in the rules last year. Something about props not being allowed on the judges' stand. I can't fid the announcement from 2008 AN to confirm.

Can anybody point me to, send me, or quote me the Interp rules from US AN? am I remembering that correctly?

Black Sheep
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
At this past AN, a lot of people used hand-held props. The props USFS doesn't allow are the ones you push out onto the ice and leave to sit there as background (like a lot of kids use for ISI "Spotlight" events).

Hope that helps!

flo
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Props were never really allowed to be "left" anywhere like on the ice, on the boards or on the judges stand. This came up as a point of contention at one of the earlier Lake Placid nats when several skaters left props on or tossed them at the judges stand . At nats this year there were notes posted all around reminding skaters that no props may not be left on the ice, and if so the ref will ask that the prop be removed.

NoVa Sk8r
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I thought the notes said that no prop, at any time, may touch the ice. :?:

skaternum
05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Black Sheep, that's not really what I'm getting at.

I'm not sure what flo means by "left."

In the past, the rules specifically stated no props on the ice. But some skaters used to put small hand-held props onto the judging stand, where they'd retrieve them at the end of the program. For example, I put 2 bags of peanuts on the judges stand in my last interp, then took them back once I was finished. Never got dinged for it.

But I thought I remember seeing a rule in this year's AN announcement that you cannot even PUT a prop on the judges' stand. Can anyone tell me if I'm remembering correctly or not? Anybody still have a copy of the announcement?

Terri C
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Now I have a question.
How do you determine what music goes in what event? From what I've watched on icenetwork this year, with some programs would be better in Artistic than in LE/ Comedy and vice versa.

icesk8r96
05-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Now I have a question.
How do you determine what music goes in what event? From what I've watched on icenetwork this year, with some programs would be better in Artistic than in LE/ Comedy and vice versa.

I agree! This year at AN there were some programs that were labeled "Artistic" but should have been in the Character/Comedy groups and vice versa.
I think Artistic pieces should be inventive but also for slower pieces of music.
faster paced or Characters should be in the other event. This is the whole reason why they have split these events up in the first place. It is just too hard for the judges to rate totally opposite programs. I think some people may be confused on where to put their programs sometimes.

flo
05-06-2008, 10:03 AM
"left" I believe was the term on the notices along with the rule reference. So no placing anything on the ice, and if you drop something - pick it up. There was a discussion in one of the AN meetings at Nats requesting that NOTHING be left on the boards or given to the judges. Also, no squirting the judges with squirt guns. It was getting absurd for a while.

If you want the specific rule reference, contact the USFSA.

FrankR
05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Also, no squirting the judges with squirt guns. It was getting absurd for a while.

Did this really happen??? 8O8O8O:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure that judges can certainly appreciate a good joke but I don't think I'd have the nerve to squirt them with squirt guns.

NoVa Sk8r
05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
But I thought I remember seeing a rule in this year's AN announcement that you cannot even PUT a prop on the judges' stand. Can anyone tell me if I'm remembering correctly or not? Anybody still have a copy of the announcement?There is nothing in the announcement regarding this:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/2008%20U.S.%20Adult%20Championships%20Complete%20A nnouncement%20FINAL.pdf

jazzpants
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Did this really happen??? 8O8O8O:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure that judges can certainly appreciate a good joke but I don't think I'd have the nerve to squirt them with squirt guns.
I missed THAT!?!?! DRATS!!! :frus: Too funny...LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (But yeah, the water squirt gun is a bit much, I admit...)

skaternum
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
There is nothing in the announcement regarding this:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/competitions/2008%20U.S.%20Adult%20Championships%20Complete%20A nnouncement%20FINAL.pdf
Thanks, NoVA. Works for me. There's no mention in there at all of the Interp rules, so I'm wondering now where I saw that.

flo
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, someone did squirt the judges one year. There's been an assortment of stuff on the judges stand or boards including a skull, dolls, peanuts, a person and a variety of junk.

skaternum
05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with putting something on the boards or stand as long as it's removed when the program is over.

flo
05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Some like it, but I don't care for it. It got a little out of control with volume and items in poor taste. The boards and judges stand looked like a yard sale. I don't like to see props or costumes carry the program. With props
not allowed you focus more on the actual skating to convey your "theme".

Skittl1321
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with putting something on the boards or stand as long as it's removed when the program is over.

So this is taking it to the extreme, but someone on another board (can't recall which) said that they think the "wrong edge" rule (refering to downgrading lutzes) is ridiculous and should be gotten rid of.

I guess we all have our ideas on what should be the rules of the sport... I've seen a few nice programs that start with a prop and set it down, but it's always been something very small. It sounds like it had started to be a problem, so I think it's a reasonable rule. If I was a judge, I don't think I would like stuff set onto the table. Maybe on the boards, but not all rinks boards are the same- so how do you know what will be available when you design your program?

flo
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Pehaps this is where you saw it - in the description:

"Interpretive Events
Scoring: Interpretive programs shall consist of a variety of skating moves and elements selected for their value in enhancing the
skater’s interpretation of the music he or she has chosen. Axels and double jumps will not be permitted. Costumes that enhance the
performance by appropriately reflecting the character of the music, thereby enhancing the theme, will be considered in the judging.
Hand held props only and must not touch the ice surface. Props on the ice will not be permitted. No “special effects” such as water,
fire, pyrotechnics, dry ice or loud noises. No placing items on the judges stand. No throwing items into the audience."

Also, I think this (from Wyondotte) is a good description of the two categories of interpretive. :
A. Dramatic Entertainment - A program of serious, emotional artistic interpretation designed to simply interpret the music (typically
dramatic, classical, power ballads, ballads, instrumental, love songs, etc.) which conveys an emotion other than humor. You may
portray a specific character, so long as the portrayal does not change the nature of the program to a comedic style. For example a
skater's portrayal of a clown performing to Send in the Clowns would not be considered comedic, but dramatic and appropriate for this
category. Where as a skater (dressed as a clown or not) who intentionally takes spills and pratfalls to the same music for comedic
effect would be considered light entertainment/comedy.
B. Light Entertainment - A program designed to be light-hearted, entertaining, upbeat, clever, comedic or that incorporates some
type of gimmick. If the skater's music is dramatic but his/her costume or style of movement creates a comedic effect, the skater should enter this category, since either effects the overall tone of the program. For example, a classical piece of music, power ballad or slow song (typically associated with dramatic styles) might be used, yet the skater's costume or frantic style of movement is what makes the program light entertainment or comedic and therefore appropriate for this category.

starskate6.0
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Interp or Short Program. :roll: For some its a short program now days, .. for me its about the show. Thats all I got to say about that..

flo
05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Interesting - If anything I think of it as the "long" artistic program.

w.w.west
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I guess we all have our ideas on what should be the rules of the sport... I've seen a few nice programs that start with a prop and set it down, but it's always been something very small. It sounds like it had started to be a problem, so I think it's a reasonable rule.

Yes...and other questionable props being hand held throughout the entire performance but then the prop being whipped off of the ice into the entrance area where another skater is waiting to enter. Prop hits skater that is waiting. Granted....it was a a "light" prop. But obviously not a lot of thought went into where it would land. Guess there needs to be yet another rule that says "no throwing of objects into audience or waiting area". Geez...where will it end?

skaternum
05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Pehaps this is where you saw it - in the description:

"Interpretive Events
Scoring: <snip> No placing items on the judges stand. No throwing items into the audience."

Yes, that must've been it. Thanks!

starskate6.0
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Interesting - If anything I think of it as the "long" artistic program.
Im happy to hear that Flo.. Artistic is what its all about. :yum: