View Full Version : PASS or RETRY! May 5 - May 11

FlyAndCrash
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm testing this week so... I feel this is rather appropriate. :halo:

PASS: I got up and skated this morning. I hate hate hate getting up in the morning! Nothing should ever be scheduled before 9 AM. haha.

Retry: My moves sucked today. My backwards crossover/stroking hit outside edges instead of inside; I fell on a 3-turn and most of them were off pattern; I forgot some of the patterns... It was horrible.

PASS: Practice got better as the hour wore on. I actually did a decent set of outside and inside 3-turns at the end and my power pulls got better (not passing, but better).

HELP!!! I need positive energy. Stronger abs wouldn't hurt either.
Now I'm going to do some crunches...

flo
05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Pass: had a great time at my coach's show this weekend. The ensemble numbers were very well done, and there was a good mix of soloists. I skated in the Saturday show and Mika and I helped out on Sunday. The group lesson kids were too cute!

I've not had too much chance to practice as my knee is still not great. I'll take next week off, then start on a new interp program and pairs.

Terri C
05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm testing this week so... I feel this is rather appropriate. :halo:

PASS: I got up and skated this morning. I hate hate hate getting up in the morning! Nothing should ever be scheduled before 9 AM. haha.

Tee hee hee... I'm testing next week and skated the early session at another rink. Both this morning and last Friday I have done my program at 8am. This morning.... had another 99% clean program- this time it was the ending scratch spin.

Also took some time toward the end of the session to work on basic stroking, crossovers and three turns. I need to clean up what I have now if I'm going to compete at AN next year, much less Bronze level.

Debbie S
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow, this thread title sure is ironic, at least for me...

Retry: My Silver MIF test Saturday. This was my 3rd attempt, and I thought I had a chance. But my 8-step was scratchy (although the judges didn't comment on that, just uneven cadence) and my BI 3's were skidded and early, esp RBI. I also put my free foot (well, more like free toe pick) down briefly on one of the forward power pulls, although 2 of the 3 judges still passed me on them.

What was surprising was one judge failed me on my spirals, saying that I only held the right one for 3 secs instead of 4. I held it to the center line, but I tend to skate fast into the spirals, so I guess it took less time to reach the center. I'll just use fewer intro steps from now on, but it really bugs me. If this judge had passed that move, then I would have been within 1 tenth (b/c this judge passed both the power pulls and the FO-BI 3's, which my coach couldn't believe) and I could have had a reskate on something and possibly passed. Both of the other judges passed the spirals, one over.

Pass: Even though I failed overall, 1 judge passed me. And I was only off by a couple of tenths with the other 2, which is closer than I was on my previous 2 attempts. I passed the cross strokes, power pulls, and FI-BO 3's (and the spirals) which made me happy. I'm feeling much more confident that I might actually pass this test someday. I really need to get those BI 3's working correctly.

I may ask my coach to start working on some of the Gold moves while we continue to work on the 8-step and 3-turns. But then again, I'm planning on entering the Chesapeake Open for CM and Spins, and I want to be ready to retry Silver soon. But I think that working on some of the Gold MIF, like the power circles, will help me. I'll see what my coach thinks.

Rusty Blades
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Retry: The alarm went at 4:00 a.m. - I went back to sleep! I woke up again at 4:45 and thought “Why am I even considering getting up at this hour to skate on a Monday off?” Because I enjoy it? No. Because it’s good for me? So is SLEEP! And then I got up.

Pass: The rink was DESERTED! Even by the time I took to the ice at 6:50 there was NOBODY around. Perfect! I put on my 1960's Rock & Roll and went to work.

Retry: Spins still aren’t back and jumps are uncoordinated

Pass: Edges are smokin’! I’m really getting into this 5/16 RoH! My edges are just SO secure :mrgreen: Did a bunch of FXOs working on DEEP edges, arms, and “presentation” - SMILE stupid! - alternating FO and FI edges, and BO edges, again with presentation. The back outside edges are improving by leaps and bounds. Spent some time on backward stroking, making sure to stay on an outside edge, and that’s improving to.

Retry: Still suffering from energy depletion (from the bad cold) and using paper towel (Kleenex just doesn’t cut it!)

.... but aside from wheeze-over-the-boards breaks 8O it was a good skate!

doubletoe
05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow, this thread title sure is ironic, at least for me...

Retry: My Silver MIF test Saturday. This was my 3rd attempt, and I thought I had a chance. But my 8-step was scratchy (although the judges didn't comment on that, just uneven cadence) and my BI 3's were skidded and early, esp RBI. I also put my free foot (well, more like free toe pick) down briefly on one of the forward power pulls, although 2 of the 3 judges still passed me on them.

What was surprising was one judge failed me on my spirals, saying that I only held the right one for 3 secs instead of 4. I held it to the center line, but I tend to skate fast into the spirals, so I guess it took less time to reach the center.
. . . .

I may ask my coach to start working on some of the Gold moves while we continue to work on the 8-step and 3-turns. But then again, I'm planning on entering the Chesapeake Open for CM and Spins, and I want to be ready to retry Silver soon. But I think that working on some of the Gold MIF, like the power circles, will help me. I'll see what my coach thinks.

How frustrating! I am sure Carolina Kostner would fail her spirals under that judge because there's no way you can go into a flat spiral with any speed and hold it for 4 seconds without covering more than half the length of the rink. Frankly, I didn't even realize you were supposed to hold it for 4 seconds; I thought it was just end line to center line. . .

I think it 's a great idea to work on a few of the Gold MIF. The back inside double 3's will make your back inside 3's feel easier, and the power circles will really improve your overall stroking.

momsk8er
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry about the retry Debbie S. At least it looks like you might pass the next time.

Pass: Spins are back! yeah! blade finally in the right place. And I love that feeling when my hip and leg come around at the same time. Woohoo.

Jumps are good too, loop is progressing. Double foot every 5th time instead of every time. Well... they still are very very tiny, and not entirely landed on the toe, and probably cheated, but I can see that someday I'll be able to do this jump!

Retry: Power 3s - yuck. Skidding on 3s and back edges sometimes too deep and ending up on toe pick. Especially on the right foot. So maybe that is still a getting used to the blade placement issue. I hope.

DD passed her Prelim dances this weekend - good for her!

saras
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
PASS - I passed the Rocker Foxtrot and the Tango this weekend - on to the Pre-Gold dances! It was a good skate - the partnered versions were awesome, and the solos went well too. All three judges passed me - over the average on the Tango even, which was the less comfortable dance for me.

RE-TRY: Ice shut-down season. Need I say more.

GL to those testing this week!

jazzpants
05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Good to hear you have some good practices before May 14. Keep at the practice!!! "No mind" (ala the Last Samurai) to May 14. You are just doing another "practice session!" Got it? ;)

Debbie S: I'd hold off on the Gold Moves 'til after Chessie Open... way too many thing on your plate there!!! 8O

The next open test session? Get on it!!! And practice those areas!!! You're SOOOOO close!!!

Pass:
I did a few good loops. One good loop-loop
I did a few good flips
I did one very good lutz...

Retry:
...and then the rest are DUDS!!! :evil:

I'm trying to get down lower on that sit spin. So far, no go!!! :frus: Gotta keep trying 'til I'm sitting way down at the bottom there.

Pass:
Nice easy start... did forward crossovers 'til the cows come home. Did my 3turns on the line. Trying to get my FI mohawks at even faster speeds so I would have no hesitation on it. I would not do any jumps or spins 'til the last 20 minutes of the session, cuz this is what I came to do!

Retry:
My FO-BI bracket sucked on my left foot.

Pass:
The right FO-BI bracket is okay though

jazzpants
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
PASS:

Skating Basics:

Practiced forward crossovers again 'til the cows come home. Primary coach watched me while he was teaching another student. Seemed impressed... but don't know if it's b/c of the crossovers itself or rather it's b/c I *AM* practicing those forward crossovers on my own.. :halo: :P :lol:
Practiced all 3 turns... yes, including the dreaded BI3's!!! I'm making some progress. I managed to eek out one or two wimpy ones... :mrgreen:
Practiced faster FI mohawks... SCARY SCARY!!! 8O
Spins:

One foot spin is good
Sit spin is okay, am aiming to go down a bit more... Started getting there after I warmed up a bit.
Jumps:

Loop was good
Flip was okay
VERY FIRST lutz of the night was good again...
RETRY:
And then afterward the rest were DUDS again!!! I just don't know why the lutz just plays with me like this!!! :evil: :frus: (Okay, I landed a couple more but they were royally cheated on the takeoff.)

Camels are non-existent!!! :frus:

aussieskater
05-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm sorry about the retry Debbie - better luck next time. It sounds like you are getting closer.

Well done and congratulations saras! Way to go. :bow:

Pass

I did too! Passed first dance test late last week (Dutch and Canasta) with (mostly) nice comments. I loved testing - I didn't have to share the ice with 8yo's in rentals going all over the place.

Even better, DH passed his dance test too. Now we're both on to E2 (Fiesta and Swing).

Retry

Nothing - I'm still on a high!

singerskates
05-06-2008, 01:40 AM
PASS: The fever I had Saturday night and all of Sunday lifted. I was able to go to the rink to skate for at least an hour of my 1 hour 50 minute session. Bunion and ankle are almost all healed up. Sinuses are starting to actually clear.

First half of the hour all my corkscrews and sitspins were on. Sitspin was again 90 degrees but not as low as Friday. No coach to compete agaist today. LOL Waltz jump was nice and flowy. Salchow was solid. Toe loop only had one time when I forgot to pick in with my toe pick and slid. Starting to get in the habit of keeping my head up and off of the ice when executing my jumps. I keep thinking look into the audience which helps me to stop the break at the waist.

Middle of the session I took a break from freeskate to work on my creative dance. I played around with the opening steps. Here's what I did for my opening steps. I did a RFO ce RFI swing roll into a RFI twizzle and then a LFO swing roll into a one footed side show stop. This takes up a little more than a quarter of the length of the ice. Then I went into my creative dance steps that my coach tweaked with a bit on Friday but will play with more tomorrow.

Just before I hit total melt down physically, I started working on my spiral sequence starting with the opening pose / inside spread eagle (this eagle is a baby) to L3 to alternating BX to waltz jump setup/waltz jump/ land to strong deep forward crosscuts into my RFI catchfoot spiral (1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand, 4) to RFO Spiral (same count) to BX to LBI catchfoot spiral to salchow/toe loop combination. This fills one and quarter of the ice pad. One thing I do need to do is to go into my first spiral just after the goalie area so that I can be ready to change edge from my first spiral position to the next without putting my foot down. I want to try and get a Level 2 SPSQ. I think the base mark for that is 2.30.

Then it was "REtry" time. I had it a wall physically when I went back to my spins with 20 minutes left. My salchows turned into sour cows. My loops were loopier. The waltz jump decided to waltz away. The sit would not sit down and the camel took it's humps and went down stream to drink. My body was spent. Well, I'm just getting over injury and illness. :roll: The left hip tightened up and was quite tender but the good news is that I was only in slight pain and I stopped trying to do the camel and sit so as to rest the hip for Tuesday.

I should be healthier on Tuesday and my stamina should be much better.

Mel On Ice
05-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Pass: some encouraging news from my coach is that after dusting off silver MIF, they are not as bad as reported. I'm still a bit shy on the mohawk in the 8-step but both directions are feeling okay. Straight line spirals are a breeze. I'm finding my groove on my cross strokes. Power pulls are 3/4 of the way there, I am having no trouble going backwards and can really feel the "power pull", but the forward ones are sketchy, wussy and make my knees hurt. Did a few nice flip/loops too.

RETRY: I can't even go there with the 3 turns in the field. And the theory of walking away from my lutz for a few weeks and I'll forget my bad habits is a lie, I feel like a beginner with the stupid thing, all over again. My axel attempts feel more comfortable than this fool jump.

momsk8er
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Pass - I had so much more energy skating first thing in the morning than I do when I skate after work in the evening. Its amazing. Wish I could have my lesson in the morning. But I'm not at the right rink for my coach. MIF better today. Probably passable. Aiming for June. Jumps were good, did several loops, and they are getting more predictable (but not any bigger yet). Spins are back. Tried the silver spiral move - need to work on that though.

Retry - camel spin, sit spin after the first two I couldn't do a good one. Tried some brackets - LOL - those are going to be fun to learn. 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
PASS - I passed the Rocker Foxtrot and the Tango this weekend
Congratulations! I can barely stumble and kick my way through those dances; I don't even do them socially yet. So I am in awe!

Pass: A much better skate today. All the things we wanted to show our coach which were clunky, weren't! Now, if only they will stay that way. He helped us with my STF on the Swing Dance, which had gone - not missing, exactly but wide-stepped and lurchy - and reminded me about keeping my free leg back in a few places on the Dutch Waltz (I do suffer from free leg creep!). Free dance went well except I messed up the forward section of the spin, and then we spun so hard on the backspin that I was dizzy!

Then I had my skates sharpened, and they are wonderful!

Retry: Nothing much really; Husband's spins went walkabout when he started trying too hard, but other than that it was a good session. I did get a bit cold waiting for my skates to be sharpened, and my fitness trainer, the mother of one of the skaters, wasn't in - I could have sat and gossiped with her in the pros' room and stayed warm. I decided I didn't want a cup of tea badly enough to ask the coaches if I might make one, and anyway, the weather is lovely here so I warmed up very quickly when I came out of the rink!

taijiya
05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
PASS: My stroking is feeling a lot smoother and more controlled these days, and thanks to all the drilling, FXO and BXO both are improving as well. Plus, during yesterday's lesson, my coach praised my BO edges! She said I was getting nice and deep and well-centered on them. Yay!

RETRY: I was feeling like death the whole lesson, thanks to a springtime cold and a pinched nerve that likes to awaken periodically and torture me. :frus: But if I was skating well when I felt that crappy, think how much better I'll be when I'm feeling good! :mrgreen:

~~taijiya

Terri C
05-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Pass:
Another 99% clean runthrough on my test program today. Secondary Coach was pleased and told me that this is the most ready she's seen me for any test!

Retry:
Was in my sitspin when I was coming up, caught the weight on the back of my spinning blade and fell during program runthrough. At least I snapped back into focus to skate the remainder of the program clean.

Asked to work on three turns in lieu of the flip today. Secondary Coach thought I was crazy, but I told her how I thought my 3's sucked and I need to get basics stronger for a potential appearance at AN 09.

Kim to the Max
05-06-2008, 08:22 PM
[Pass]
Axels are getting big...still not landed, but bigger and oh so close!! One of the coaches said that we need to have a cake when I finally land it because I have been working so hard on it....

Spins were really good today...

[Retry]
So, while I am excited to be finally moving on to a new set of moves, dang, am I banging my head against a wall :frus: with the novice moves....I know that I just learned them, but I really want to get them up to speed....

vesperholly
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
[Retry]
So, while I am excited to be finally moving on to a new set of moves, dang, am I banging my head against a wall :frus: with the novice moves....I know that I just learned them, but I really want to get them up to speed....
Expect to be :frus: for a long time with Novice MIF!! There are so many new things introduced in this test.

dbny
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Retry: My Silver MIF test Saturday.
<snip> I may ask my coach to start working on some of the Gold moves while we continue to work on the 8-step and 3-turns.

Sorry about the retry. I also think it's a good idea to go ahead with Gold moves. If I didn't have Pre-Juv and Juv moves to work on, I would have gone nuts with just Prelim all these years. And, BTW, I can do some of those to passing standard even though I am still not ready for Prelim!

PASS - I passed the Rocker Foxtrot and the Tango this weekend

CONGRATULATIONS!

Passed first dance test late last week (Dutch and Canasta) with (mostly) nice comments. I loved testing - I didn't have to share the ice with 8yo's in rentals going all over the place.

Even better, DH passed his dance test too. Now we're both on to E2 (Fiesta and Swing).

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!

I am having no trouble going backwards and can really feel the "power pull", but the forward ones are sketchy, wussy and make my knees hurt.

I have bad knees, but when I do the F power pulls correctly, they don't hurt. The knee action is up and down, but the change of edge comes from the hip. Are you possibly using your knees for that?

Pass:
Went to the last 1.5 hr of an empty public session today and really worked! Started with warm up exercises including F/B two foot turns in a straight line. Towards the end of the session, one of the other coaches (elite skater) was free and we were just chatting, so I asked her how she keeps up her speed on those. We did them in parallel and talked about it while skating. Coming back from the first time across, I realized I had kept up with her! She also showed me a B power pull excercise she had just learned. You put your free toe on a hockey puck to keep the free foot close and work the inner thigh. Not having a hockey puck (or the nerve to try it), I did it without, and got more power than ever before. Did an entire length and end on one footm then realized that my quad was complaining. Worked on core body control on two foot spins and got some very tight tracings. Managed to get all the way across on the alt FI threes, but did toe tap twice on the RFI's. Finished up with fast B power XO's, emphasizing deep BI edges which I've seen more advanced skaters doing. It was great fun and scared me at the end when I realized how fast I was going.

Retry:
Alt FO threes were flying across the line, but still not completely checked :frus:. My middle still turns to jelly on one foot spins. I am really feeling it from those B power pulls! Hope it doesn't affect tomorrow's planned repeat performance.

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Pass: Lovely sharp blades and fast ice.... blissy! Run-throughs of everything mostly okay - niggles, only. Even free dance is coming-along-nicely now.

Retry: It would be nice to be able to stop.... It would also be nice to be able to do Mohawks and inside 3-turns, but they will reappear very soon, no doubt. It would also be as well to be able to control every body-part - yeah, right. Oh, and not to be out of practice on back cross-rolls!

Skittl1321
05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Sorry can't do pass/retry I don't want to jinx any test skills.

Good Did some really nice Back Inside 3-turns. And they were easy! I did them from crossovers and as a double 3. I can do them as well on either side too. Can't say that about any of my other 3 turns.

Okay I've been making progress on my backspin, but my group lesson instructor told me my arms are wrong. I've been entering the spin with open arms, and he wants them closed. I've been working on this spin for over a year. Is it just another way of doing it- or did my old coach have me doing them wrong? All the other spins I enter closed- but I figured it was a difference of forward vs back spin.

Bad My swing rolls stink.

First dance lesson saturday! We aren't doing dances yet, just skills.

Isk8NYC
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
What backspin entrance are you using? That makes more of a difference. The FI3 entrance is usually taught with either open or checked arms, the pivot-and-lift entrance is easier if the arms are closed or only slightly open to the front.

I so want to go skating. But work calls.

Skittl1321
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
What backspin entrance are you using? That makes more of a difference. The FI3 entrance is usually taught with either open or checked arms, the pivot-and-lift entrance is easier if the arms are closed or only slightly open to the front.

I so want to go skating. But work calls.

I do a right inside edge to a left inside edge into a 3 turn. So it sounds like either way for the arms.

The pivot and lift into spins has never worked for me. I don't understand how to get off the toepick.

Isk8NYC
05-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I do a right inside edge to a left inside edge into a 3 turn. So it sounds like either way for the arms.Yeah, it's one of those situations where one instructor wants it done THIS way and another wants it THAT way. You're stuck in the middle.
I don't know about the "closed arms" on the entrance for that, though. How would you "pull in"?
Are you sure the instructor isn't asking to you wait BEFORE pulling the arms in closed? I find a lot of students struggle with that - they rush to pull it all tight and then the spin isn't controlled.

Skittl1321
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, it's one of those situations where one instructor wants it done THIS way and another wants it THAT way. You're stuck in the middle.
I don't know about the "closed arms" on the entrance for that, though. How would you "pull in"?
Are you sure the instructor isn't asking to you wait BEFORE pulling the arms in closed? I find a lot of students struggle with that - they rush to pull it all tight and then the spin isn't controlled.

Yep that's the downside to multiple coaches, but I find the benefits outweigh the negatives and really like working with multiple instructors.

No, it's not the pulling in that's the problem. I keep the arms and leg open until I've done at least 2 revolutions then pull in. It's where my arms are when I start the entry edge. Currently I have been doing left inside edge with the left arm forward over the edge and the right arm backward. He wants me to switch it to right arm forward (so closed over my body line, in case we are using "closed" to mean two different things) and left arm backward.

He actually showed me the entrance where his arms were in a closed position (they were opposite of how my arms always are) and the spin definetly works, but I'm kind of confused how it works. Maybe he was opening them as he three-turned? Or maybe it's just that I've been doing it the other way for a year and its going to take some getting used to. I start with a new coach on the 19th and will just do it whatever way she says, and if it's different i'll just tell him that thats how my coach wants it. The coaches who are clearly incredible skaters its so hard to tell if it "needs" to be that way, or if they just want it that way. Because I have no doubt he could do a perfect backspin starting with one hand on his head and the other in his back pocket.

Isk8NYC
05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Currently I have been doing left inside edge with the left arm forward over the edge and the right arm backward. He wants me to switch it to right arm forward (so closed over my body line, in case we are using "closed" to mean two different things) and left arm backward.That's the way I teach it - I use the term "cross checked" instead of "closed." Just different terminology; easier seen than explained online, lol.

This is a really good skill to master because it leads to stronger in-air position on jumps. Keep practicing - you'll feel awkward at first, but it'll get easier in time. You'll feel the "pull in" for the back scratch more with this method.

Be aware that many coaches (myself included) keep the free leg back on the three turn and let the hips "catch up" with the free leg. It's again hard to explain, but it's a building block skill. It took me a long time to relearn the spin that way - I had been taught to "keep the free leg in front."

Morgail
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
This is for yesterday:

Pass:
-I did decent jumps on the morning session! I honestly thought that was impossible:lol:
-spins were okay. I think I made some progress on back camel.
-most of MIF were okay
-dances were good

Retry:
-had a terrible time checking LBO 3-turn in both the double 3 pattern and the slide chasse pattern
-felt like I was tripping myself on BI 3 to FO 3s. Coach changed my leg position on the BI3s and now they feel harder.

FlyAndCrash
05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I PASSED!!!
I am now officially done with my prejuv moves. I'm so happy!

The test session was running about a half hour late when we (me and another skater) arrived. I was running over an hour late by the time we left. :roll:

Anyways, I know for a fact that my coach would have failed me if she had been the judge, but her opinion doesn't matter...

Forward Perimeter Crossover Stroking:
2.8; 2.8 - nice power and extension; 2.7 - more edge on crossovers, nice tempo

Backwards Perimeter Crossover Stroking:
2.7; 2.9 - Very bood power and nice edges; 2.7 - crossovers early, nice tempo

FO 3-turns:
2.7 - some turns late; 2.7 - good edges and turns; 2.7 back turns stiff

FI 3-turns:
2.7; 2.7 - good edges and turns; 2.7 - back turns stiff

Power Pulls (the moves my coach hated the most of all and though I would have failed miserably on...):
2.7; 2.6 - power a little weak and inconsistant; 2.7 - Okay

Five Step Mohawk:
2.7; 2.7 - some edges shallow to flat, others very nice; 2.7 - more outside edge on step forward

I PASSED! I really think if the judges had been more harsh though, I would have failed miserably.

blackmanskating
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Well today was very interesting. I'm finally getting a grip on my double salchow. I landed two of them clean and I didn't even pull in. It was light and almost easy. It almost seems anticlimatic. I did it and felt like I did all of that falling and overrotating for nothing. Hey, lets see if I can do it again tomorrow.

RETRY: My flying sit spin doesn't fly or sit. It collapses instead. LOL

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Pass:
Well, at least my secondary coach noticed that I did work on forward crossovers this weekend! It's definitely improving in this lesson. Of course, I need to continue working on it 'til the cows come home... :P

Retry:
We started on BACK crossovers towards the end of the lesson!!! Ummm... that needs a lot of work too!!! :oops:

dbny
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I PASSED!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

singerskates
05-08-2008, 02:31 AM
I PASSED!!!

The test session was running about a half hour late when we (me and another skater) arrived. I was running over an hour late by the time we left. :roll:

Anyways, I know for a fact that my coach would have failed me if she had been the judge, but her opinion doesn't matter...

Forward Perimeter Crossover Stroking:
2.8; 2.8 - nice power and extension; 2.7 - more edge on crossovers, nice tempo

Backwards Perimeter Crossover Stroking:
2.7; 2.9 - Very bood power and nice edges; 2.7 - crossovers early, nice tempo

FO 3-turns:
2.7 - some turns late; 2.7 - good edges and turns; 2.7 back turns stiff

FI 3-turns:
2.7; 2.7 - good edges and turns; 2.7 - back turns stiff

Power Pulls (the moves my coach hated the most of all and though I would have failed miserably on...):
2.7; 2.6 - power a little weak and inconsistant; 2.7 - Okay

Five Step Mohawk:
2.7; 2.7 - some edges shallow to flat, others very nice; 2.7 - more outside edge on step forward

I PASSED! I really think if the judges had been more harsh though, I would have failed miserably.

Congratulations on passing your move test!

Those are Pre-Juv moves in the field in the US?! Whoa, we do those partly as a FS element test (Forward Perimeter Crossover Stroking & Backward Perimeter Crossover Stroking) and as skills (FO 3-turns, FI 3-turns, Five Step Mohawk) in Preliminary. The FS elements test also includes jumps up to flip, forward spin, back spin, camel spin, sit spin and spiral or lung. The Skills test also includes, circles (edges) and more all set to music.

I'm not sure what the Junior Bronze FS element test or the Junior Bronze Skill test would have on it.

ibreakhearts66
05-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I PASSED!!!

CONGRATS!!!!
----------------------------

Ok, I apologize in advance if this post comes out really long.

Pass or retry is a perfect theme for this week, as I have 3 AP tests this week! Unfortunately, we don't get a retry.

Retry:
Because of APs, I haven't been able to skate very much. But I did get to go today!

Also saw the doc today to have my EMG/nerve conduction test done. My superficial peroneal nerve is not conducting any nerve signals at all. I kinda figured that was the case given the numbness in my foot. So, I'm being scheduled for a fasciotomy so that he can release the muscle hernia that is entrapping the nerve. Hopefully the nerve isn't dead. Although, if a nerve in my leg needs to die, this is the right one, as all it does is supply feeling to my foot. However, since I have the bad pain shooting up my leg too, something needs to be done.

My hip flexor is still sore. I thought I wasn't going to be able to jump at all when a single loop hurt, but doubles were actually less painful than singles. I think that could be because the momentum of a double makes the checkout happen more naturally.

Super scary moment on a double lutz. Apparently I didn't pick straight into the ice, as my toe picks almost entirely missed. I managed to get enough on the ice to be able to not fall flat on my face, but it was REALLY scary.

And, going alone with the whole testing thing, the AP Calc free response section was pretty brutal. I almost burst into tears when I looked at the first question. But my answer matched everyone else's.

Pass
Double flips are still happening. It takes me a while to get into the rhythm of the jump, but I'm landing them pretty consistently

I did what felt like a really nice sit spin. Another skater and I were busy counting each others revolutions, and I hit 20. It was fast, centered, and (i think) a pretty position!

Double loops were super easy today. 2loops are my favorite jumps, but I still usually have to work pretty hard to do good ones. I had no problem at all with them today. It felt great.

Tried 2axel for the first time in my new blades. I'm still pretty much stuck at getting 2 rotations. I'm hoping to have a lesson soon to get on the harness, just to feel the rotation.

Skittl1321
05-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Congratulations FlyandCrash!

CONGRATS!!!!
Also saw the doc today to have my EMG/nerve conduction test done. My superficial peroneal nerve is not conducting any nerve signals at all.

I'm sorry to hear that- I hope the doctors are able to sort it out and that the nerve isn't dead.

I had a hypersensitive nerve when I had my EMG/nerve conduction test and it was the most painful experience in my life. I hate hate hate those things.

Debbie S
05-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Congratulations, FlyAndCrash! :bow:

Isk8NYC
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Retry: My Silver MIF test Saturday.
You have my sympathy. I think working on the Gold moves is a great idea. Good luck.

I PASSED!!!
I am now officially done with my prejuv moves. I'm so happy!Congratulations!

Rusty Blades
05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Retry: Still somewhat short on energy and wind (thanks to a killer cold!) and using paper towel as "industrial strength Kleenex"

Pass: We have been getting a flood before the 7 a.m. sessions by an operator who knows what he is doing thanks to a schedule change at the rink :mrgreen: don't feel as much like I need shock absorbers on my skate blades!

Retry: Spins still aren't back where they used to be ... spinning with a cold adds a new dimension to "dizzy" (.... at least I am not blond anymore)

Pass: The small Radius of Hollow still feels incredibly "slippery" .... haven't a clue what to do with all that speed! Worked a LOT on backwards ... want to be as at-home on backward edges as forward. BO is feeling good, back stroking is cooking .... just might have BXO's before summer school :)

Through the whole session I kept reminding myself to RELAX and FLOW, not to focus on feet or arms but to "bring everything together" in a smooth easy movement and feel it as a whole .... I think I am getting there. "Zen skating"? Maybe :roll:

Helen88
05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Pass:
We had exams today so we were let out of school early, so obviously I headed to the rink :D And it was such a relief! Summer appears to have hit at a rocket pace...and I hate the heat.

Crossovers felt really good - relaxed and just overall better. Edges were fine...waltz jumps were pretty good today I thought, they seemed higher...but I need to stop looking down in the air! LOL.

And spirals...they were amazing! Well...better ;)

RETRY!!!
A huge school trip arrived with 45 girls or something ridiculous 8O. They pretty much stayed out of my way though. And I only skated for just over an hour...I seem to get tired really quicky now.

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I PASSED!!!
Congratulations!

Pass or retry is a perfect theme for this week, as I have 3 AP tests this week! Unfortunately, we don't get a retry.
So what are AP Tests? I take it that it's a school thing, but what level - end of school? College? College entrance? Good luck with them, at any rate - as our old maths master used to say (and note that on this side of the Pond, it's Maths with an s on the end!), may you have all the success you deserve, and all the luck you need!

Pass:
We had exams today so we were let out of school early, so obviously I headed to the rink :D
But of course! And the same wish as above applies to you. What are you doing? SATs, GCSEs, AS or A? Or just end-of-year exams?

Skittl1321
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
So what are AP Tests? I take it that it's a school thing, but what level - end of school? College? College entrance?

AP stands for "Advanced Placement" and are high school courses that are designed to be college level. At the end of the course you can take an AP test to earn college credit. They can be a HUGE money (and time spent in college, many students enter as 2nd years due to them) saver- as the test costs under $100, and often you can get 3-4 hours of college credit per test. (My college only gave credit hours, but DH's college gave credit hours and a letter grade for them- so he actually got a bump in his Grade Point Average, where I had to weigh if getting easy classes out of the way through AP tests was worth the potential drop in my GPA by not having those "easy A's" in there. The money and time saved was worth it to me.)

Isk8NYC
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Pass:
My forward spins were really good today. Back spins were passable, but I really need a sharpening.

Started working on Pre-Juv MITF. I had forgotten the five-step mohawk sequence - I like that pattern! It's fun.

I landed several jumps several times, even my sad little loop. My problem is definitely keeping the free leg in the right place. It's dropping which is what's causing me to touch down on it.

Retry:
I keep chickening out on the Lutz. Something just isn't right and I feel like I'm stuck and can't even start the rotation. The 1/2 Lutz is actually pretty good with a clean takeoff and a nice in-air position. Meh, go figure.

I also gave the 8-step a try and I don't like it very much at all. That FO mohawk is brutal - any tips?

ibreakhearts66
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
[CENTER]

So what are AP Tests? I take it that it's a school thing, but what level - end of school? College? College entrance? Good luck with them, at any rate - as our old maths master used to say (and note that on this side of the Pond, it's Maths with an s on the end!), may you have all the success you deserve, and all the luck you need!

AP tests are tests given in specific subjects. At a lot of high schools, you can choose to take an AP course, which is like an honors course, but more advanced (it's supposed to be a college level class). At the end of the year, you take a 3 hour test in the different subjects. This year I took AP US gov, AP Calculus and AP English lit (just finished the lit test). The first half is multiple choice, then second free response (essay for history, social science, english and other languages, open ended problems for sciences and math). They can be pretty brutal (or pretty easy if you are well prepared).

It used to be that if you got a 3, 4 or 5 then you would get college credit, but now a lot of colleges only accept 4s and 5s (some only 5s). 5s are pretty hard to come by in most subjects and just about impossible in the sciences.

But yeah, an AP test is a test that determines whether or not the last year of he** you went through in those classes was worth it. Yeah, there's the whole "learning" thing, but most AP students just care about the score on the test.

Rusty Blades
05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
... AP Calculus ...

I get cold seats just thinking about that! :giveup:

ibreakhearts66
05-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I get cold seats just thinking about that! :giveup:

bah nothing compared to AP chemisty. That test was SO hard. There is just so much to know for that class. But the first AP calc free response question was tricky--I almost completely panicked.

dbny
05-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I also gave the 8-step a try and I don't like it very much at all. That FO mohawk is brutal - any tips?

Not that I can do that Mohawk (correctly) anyway, but the best tip I've found yet is to rotate your shoulders decisively on step 2 so your back is to the circle. Then, on step 3, the FO for the Mohawk, you just have to deal with your hips and feet.

Retry:
Planned to practice yesterday, but forgot I had a lesson to give. Did manage to get in a little basic stuff like consecutive 2 ft turns and also managed a few rounds of B power pulls. Hoped to practice after teaching 9 AM class today, but didn't get to sleep until 3 AM last night. After several failed 2 ft spins and FI threes, realized I was too tired and gave up before I hurt myself.

Kim to the Max
05-09-2008, 06:33 AM
[Pass]
Moves are coming along....the quick rocker pattern is giving me issues because I am not getting a good push on the choctaw/crossover, so I end up losing a lot of speed, but it will come :) I did just learn these! I was working on these on Wednesday and a coach told me that she had stopped after her intermediate and seeing me work on these makes her want to start working on her Novice again. :)

Spins are still going well...I did a few camel/layback/back sit combo today...I was probably shy on the revolutions, but I was at least able to hit all of the positions.

Axels are really big and now 2 of the coaches who are not mine have commented that they are getting really close...I have a lesson today so we shall see...it feels as if I'm getting a better snap and actually getting my leg in the way it should be...

[Retry]
When I got home last night, my butt was soaked...I fell so many times last night on axels :( at least the ice was okay and I slid :) I'm a little achy because of all of those falls, but it's worth it if I can land this jump....

Mrs Redboots
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
AP stands for "Advanced Placement" and are high school courses that are designed to be college level.

At the end of the year, you take a 3 hour test in the different subjects. This year I took AP US gov, AP Calculus and AP English lit (just finished the lit test).

Of course, that doesn't work here as we read for a degree in a specific subject (or occasionally combination of subjects) which you choose before you go to university.

Sounds rather like our A levels (exams taken in Year 13, the final year of what you would call high school), although in my day it was normally 2 or more 3-hour papers per subject, and normally your subjects were linked (e.g. Latin, French and German; or Physics, Maths and Chemistry), and the subjects you do decide more or less what you read at uni. These days you do five subjects (I believe) in year 12, with public exams at the end of the year, and drop down to 3 in Year 13, which does mean you don't decide your whole future at the age of 16!

Anyway, back to skating:

Pass: Friend videoed us today and it really wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Retry: Still pretty dire, though. Can't wait for her to send me the video so that we can have another look and see what we need to fix.

Skittl1321
05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Of course, that doesn't work here as we read for a degree in a specific subject (or occasionally combination of subjects) which you choose before you go to university.

Yeah- the British system is a lot different. Since I changed my major multiple times in college, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to decide at 16 :)

I did have a few AP tests that didn't end up counting towards my degree even though I scored 5's on them, but no harm done in taking them. The ones that did count saved me a semester (which was useful with all the switching!)

Skating related: I start ice dance on saturday and had a nightmare about it last night. Among other things, in order to increase revenue the rink melted half of the rink to make it into a swimming pool so we only had a half sheet of ice. It was not a good dream.

Clare
05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Skating related: I start ice dance on saturday and had a nightmare about it last night. Among other things, in order to increase revenue the rink melted half of the rink to make it into a swimming pool so we only had a half sheet of ice. It was not a good dream.

Right before I started dance, I had a dream that the rink was pitch black and no-one except me seemed to think this was odd despite the fact that people were skating in total darkness and colliding with each other all over the place. I woke up quite horrified!

Pass:

-First time I've been filmed dancing and it (mostly) was not as awful as I expected.
-I think I could be on the right track to fixing my forward cross rolls as long as I remember to use my shoulders and slow it all down.
-Back crossovers returned to me today, thank you to whoever stole them for seeing fit to let them come home.
-Did probably the best Rhythm Blues I've ever attempted, managed to slow down the closed chasses so that I didn't feel like I was on the verge of kicking myself over.

Retry:

-Golden Skaters Waltz...made the first circuit with no problems but totally blanked on the steps second time around, missed the closed chasse and had to fudge my way around the rest of it :giveup:

ibreakhearts66
05-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Pass
Turns out I can still do my axel and 2sal with arm variations! I used to do my axel tano style all the time before i quit skating, and never really tried once i came back (i figured it would throw me off too much). But today I decided first to try 2sal with my hands on my hips, then got brave and did a tano style 2sal, then decided "heck, i'll give it a try on the axel" I did both just fine!

i only tried one 2loop2loop, but it was great! I was prepared to do one, but when I cam out of the 1st double loop, my coach yelled "OUT!" (because I'll fall even when I have a jump landed). That startled me as I wasn't in a lesson or anything, so I fell.

Jumps continue to get bigger. Double sals were huge. Only did a couple 2toes, but got compliments. 2loop is pretty big. It covers a decent amount of ice, and I know it's high.

Didn't do too many spins (cant do forward camels bc of a pulled hip flexor, can't do forward sits OR back camels after about 15 minutes on the ice bc of my leg), but the ones I did do were nice. It's amazing what properly sharpened blades will do for your spins! I didn't even realized how messed up my old blades were until I used good ones.

Retry
Leg is pretty sore. The outside of my shin gets pretty stiff after like 15 mins on the ice, and then the nerve pain kicks in too.

2flips were off today. I didn't try too many bc I was hoping to have a lesson, but had to leave before I could get one.

looplover
05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Pass: hm, maybe silver moves? I dunno ... worked on them again today in my lesson and I'm pretty thrilled with the 8-step. It has issues that can be fixed by practicing over and over. The cross rolls are not passable now but may be, and the back ones (don't have test sheet next to me, back cross rolls??) are actually pretty good. Got my skates sharpened so the power pulls were better. Backspins were good now that I have edges again! Anyway, I'm now very eager to test and pass silver moves, so I can get that done and then work on freestyle at a more competitive level, potentially to compete in silver at AN 2009. (I always set these crazy goals). Silver moves are tough but at least seem much more fun than the pre-bronze and bronze moves were.

Retry: I really don't know when or if I'll get that RBI 3 turn to passing standard. My sit spins for some reason have gone on vacation - I literally couldn't do one at all again today (doesn't bode well for my above-stated goal). Didn't jump today.

dbny
05-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Retry:
Could not spin to save my life. My middle was simply jello today, as it was yesterday too! Fortunately, my coach knows when we should just move on. No use in getting demoralized! Began lesson with tremendous problem on FI threes. Just could not do them yesterday and seemed off balance today. Did not even attempt any B threes. No time, and no nerve.

Pass:
FO threes on the line are much better, skating them faster. Coach fixed up my FI threes. I wasn't getting forward on the blade enough. As an exercise, I'm just holding the FI edge until the turn happens (my idea, coach approved.)
B power pulls were smokin'. Coach asked about F and B cross strokes, which I do for fun. Did the F, and was asked to slow them down, which was a piece of cake. (I've been doing Mrs Redboots' exercise of doing them to an increasing tempo.) There were a bunch of troublesome hockey boys (10 yr old's party), so did the B cross strokes with coach watching my back. Got nice comments on them, and no corrections. Why can I do a Juv move so well, but cannot pass Prelim???? :frus::frus::frus:

ibreakhearts66
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Retry:
Why can I do a Juv move so well, but cannot pass Prelim???? :frus::frus::frus:

because the prelim moves are stupid.
sorry. i hate those moves. i can do all the moves for the tests through intermediate, and i still hate the prelim 3 turns and spirals most. pre-juv 3's, no problem, juv and intermediate double 3s, love em. but i hate the preliminary ones. i can do them, but they piss me off lol

FlyAndCrash
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Pass: My coach and I started on my prejuv test program. I'm testing it at the end of June! 8O

Retry: Footwork sucks. In general, and in particular. There's a reason I hate moves, and it's strongly connected to why I hate footwork. Also, there are several "bangs" in the music my coach picked from the ones she had cut (I don't really need my "own" music for a test...) that I can not manage to hit on time.

Pass: I'm well on my way to testing through prejuv and ISI FS6! Hopefully, My coach won't make me do juv moves, but we'll just have to see...

SkatingOnClouds
05-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Retry
I am so tired ! Had Friday off, went skating that night to an evening session I don't usually go to. So tired today, though I again went skating this morning, and worked hard again, followed by another 2 hours with Aussie Skate tests, as I'm training to be a judge.

My program is not where I need it to be. The competition is a week from today. 8O
Just once, I'd like to have my program completely finalised at least 2 weeks out from the comp and spend the last 2 weeks polishing it. :giveup:
The 1st half choreographed, and the 2nd half, well, I know what elements I'm doing & basically where, but not exactly how I am getting to each of them.

On Firday I completely remade my competition dress, and ended up hating it as much as the first time. What made me think I'd like it better 2nd time around? :frus: Now I start again. Plus I rather foolishly offered to make a dress for another skater. So I know what I'll be doing with any 'free' time this week.

Just so tired and not feeling like any of it is going as well as I want it to be at this stage.

Pass
Most of my elements are still working, which they aren't usually at this stage. Coach says change sit needs to be lower :roll: especially the back sit. Lutz is kicking, was doing lutz/loops today and backspins are unusually good at the moment.

Rusty Blades
05-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Pass or Retry? I don't know .....

I started skating in January of 2006 and have been skating 12 months of the year ever since. I said I would "hang up my skates" and take a break after my first Adult Championships in March 2007 - didn't happen. Then I was supposed to take a break after the Championships this year (April 2008) and before summer School in July - didn't happen either :roll: (... yea, I know I am addicted!) Now I just found out our morning ice has been extended from the end of May until the end of June :halo: (... you know what I am thinking ;) )

Coach says NO, take a month off .... but ..... but .... but ....

(Will she or won't she?)

saras
05-10-2008, 08:20 AM

I started skating in January of 2006 and have been skating 12 months of the year ever since. I said I would "hang up my skates" and take a break after my first Adult Championships in March 2007 - didn't happen. Then I was supposed to take a break after the Championships this year (April 2008) and before summer School in July - didn't happen either :roll: (... yea, I know I am addicted!) Now I just found out our morning ice has been extended from the end of May until the end of June :halo: (... you know what I am thinking ;) )

(Will she or won't she?)

If you really must, try a week off. I'm not sure what the point of a month off is, if you're not feeling tired/bored/whatever of skating.... I'd do the opposite - if ice was hard to find for a month I'd call it a month off. But if ice is available???? No way.

doubletoe
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
If you really must, try a week off. I'm not sure what the point of a month off is, if you're not feeling tired/bored/whatever of skating.... I'd do the opposite - if ice was hard to find for a month I'd call it a month off. But if ice is available???? No way.

ITA! Don't you know there are poor skaters across the country who want to practice but can't because they don't even have any ice? (Hopefully, this argument will work better than "Think of all the starving children in Africa," which is what my mom used to tell me when I didn't finish my dinner. :roll:)

RinkRat321
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
pass most of my doubles were good today
retry double flips were really bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hT6KJsCHw - from today's practice

Rusty Blades
05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
ITA! Don't you know there are poor skaters across the country who want to practice but can't because they don't even have any ice?

RIGHT! Therefore it would be immoral to let this ice go to waste, especially since it will be nearly deserted! (Makes sense to me!)

dbny
05-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Count me as another who says not more than a week! As an adult, I've found some skills just disappear in a month. Sometimes two weeks off have been good for me, other times not. I don't chance more than a week now, unless I have absolutely no choice.

ibreakhearts66
05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Pass
Jumps were decent today. Did a few good double sal double loop combos. We were messing around, trying to do 2sal+2loop+2toe+1/2half loop+2flip. It was hard lol.

Sit spins were good. I couldn't do too many of my spins bc my left hip flexor is still messed up, which makes forward camels (and L spirals) hurt and after my leg problem flares up (about 10 mins into the session) I can't do forward sits or back camels. But the ones I did do were good!

Off-ice was really good. We worked on star-star-butterflies, and I was the only one who could do the timing for the butterfly. We started by using a bench, then as soon as the bench was taken away, no one could do them anymore. My coach said that mine should be really pretty on the ice.

Retry
I'm exhausted. I think the weeks of living on caffeine, provigil (prescription medication to help with chronic daytime sleepiness), adrenaline and 4 hours of sleep has finally caught up with me. Now that exams are done I am totally wiped. I mean, I had to pause halfway up the stairs because I was tired. So this weekend will be dedicated to sleep.

2loops were a little wonky today. I think bc my hip was sore I was just having a hard time getting my leg out to land. The jumps were nice and big and the rotation was good, I just kept sitting down on the landings. :frus::frus::frus:

Isk8NYC
05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Why can I do a Juv move so well, but cannot pass Prelim???? :frus::frus::frus:because the prelim moves are stupid.ROFLOL :bow::bow::bow:

Taught better than I skated today, but had a good time goofing around a bit with my students.

dbny
05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Taught better than I skated today, but had a good time goofing around a bit with my students.

The story of my life :roll:.

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Pass: Coach2 was pleased with most of our free dance.

Retry: She wants me to take the bracket out. I have worked on it too much for that... yes I know it doesn't always work, but.....

Helen88
05-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Pass:
Finally, a skate that left me in a good mood! I'd been waiting for one all month :giveup:

Did a runthrough of the test - everything's fine except my CW back crossovers...but I should be able to sort them once I remember to keep my weight in the right place. Got the paperwork too, so I just need to fill it in, send it off, and we're good to go 8O.

NISA membership came this week...that put me in a good mood too, I felt very official :oops:

And I started learning a step sequence :D. I love step sequences, I always think they're amazing to watch.

jazzpants
05-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Rusty Blades: ONE WEEK!!! NO MORE, NO LESS!!! (I personally didn't really take a break but only b/c I like the ice so much! However, I didn't push myself too much...)

Okay, I should post my lesson notes with primary coach from Thursday...

Today is spin day!!!

Pass:
Okay, I should be able to sit lower, but the one I did with my primary coach was low enough and it easily spun 4-5 revs. in position. He said "Ummm... I'll take that!!!" 8O (Then he said that was a really good sit spin!!!)

Well, what d'ya know??!?! :P I did managed to eek out some sorry ### slow but legit baby BI3's on both feet today!!! If I keep at it and keep it, the next step is to put it to the half circle test and if that passes, I'll put it on the Silver/preJuv Moves pattern! :mrgreen:

RETRY:
Sad part of the BI3's... it was AFTER lesson that I attempted these!!! :evil: *sigh*

The Schaffer push on the back cross-stroke is still NON-EXISTENT!!! :roll:

Camel STILL sucks.... though the last one was probably my best attempt and wasn't too bad.

Scratch spin: Can't seemed to close the gap between my legs when I pull down...

Can't seem to do the transition from sit spin to back sit spin well. Spun around a 1/2 rev and went straight to the inside edge and stops spinning! :frus:

Am trying to do this fun spin where I'm doing a one foot spin with the leg out and I'm supposed to fold the leg over and hold the foot with my hand. (Any name for this spin? Is it a catch foot???)

And with this thread closing... I'll end my post by wishing Terri C good luck on her Bronze FS test on Wed. Good luck vibes should be sent to her around 12:00-12:15pm EDT (9:00-9:15 PDT)!!!

kander
05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Pass: Had one of my best skates ever on saturday! Everything was spot on, especially the reconstructed axels and all the spins. I was feeling my blades under me really well. Went skating again today and my legs wouldn't let me do anything, although I managed quite a few good axels. I splatted a lot, but only because the jump was so big and I was too tired to handle the landing.

Retry: OK, so I'm talking to this cute girl after the session on saturday wishing her good luck with her show skate and telling her how good she looks. She leaves and I go into the bathroom and look in a mirror. There is a long streak of lugee all over my chin. I want to die.

Bill_S
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Pass: I got to skate! I drove to Columbus to do a morning freestyle session at Chiller North. I arrived for the opening at 9 a.m. and it was very empty (Mother's day may have played a part). By the end of the 2.5 hour session, I had almost everything back.

Still Passing: Mustered a nice combo spin (for me), starting with a back scratch, to a forward sit, then back to a back scratch. Back spins are my nemisis, but I managed at least 3 or 4 revs with both these. What a blast!

Retry: It took the first hour to feel at home on the ice again, and I managed a face plant within the first 5 minutes just doing footwork warm-ups.

Retry: Got off the ice after 2.5 hours, and didn't realize how disheveled I had become. After I settled up with the front desk, chatted with some people in the lobby while I unlaced, I finally took a look in the mirror in the men's room and saw hair that was soaking wet with sweat in patches, and sticking out every direction.

I probably looked deranged.

singerskates
05-12-2008, 09:45 PM

(Will she or won't she?)

Maybe compromise with you coach. Skate less times per week for June. Instead of 5 times a week, skate 2 or 3 times per week. If you're already just skating 3 times a week, go down to once a week. This way you don't end up loosing the skills you already have and your body stays in shap. Your body will also thank you for giving it a sort of rest.

techskater
05-13-2008, 05:33 PM
According to most sports psychologists, participating only once a week is worse than not participating at all.

patatty
05-13-2008, 06:11 PM
According to most sports psychologists, participating only once a week is worse than not participating at all.

That was definitely true for me as a kid. I had been skating 2-3 times a week (at ISI FS1 level). Then the rink near me closed, and I was down to skating once a week at a far-away rink. Rather than improving, I was getting worse as time went on, and I started to really hate skating. That was the end of skating for me (until 22 years later when I rediscovered how great it is!).

RachelSk8er
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Not necessarially. There were about 2 yrs when I was in college where I only skated once a week for an hour because it was the only time I could make it to with all the other conflicts in my schedule (and I couldn't afford to skate). All I did was stroking, turns, and went through patterns on MIF tests I had already passed (I'd pick a few each week), worked a bit on the test I was on, and I'd skate through dances at or above my level to help remember the patterns for when I started lessons again. But my goal really was only to stay on the ice even if only an hour a week so when I had time to skate more and take lessons again, I wouldn't have to go through getting back into it.

Trying to learn to skate or improve significantly off of once a week? Now that is certainly hard.

momsk8er
05-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Rusty - ITA with the others - don't take too much time off. You risk not coming back (get busy with other things, can't get back in the groove of getting up early etc). Plus I'm an older skater too, and I know that if I even take a week off, it takes 2-3 weeks to get everything back to the level it was before the break. I lose conditioning and the "feel" for the ice so fast its scary.

techskater
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Not necessarially. There were about 2 yrs when I was in college where I only skated once a week for an hour because it was the only time I could make it to with all the other conflicts in my schedule (and I couldn't afford to skate). All I did was stroking, turns, and went through patterns on MIF tests I had already passed (I'd pick a few each week), worked a bit on the test I was on, and I'd skate through dances at or above my level to help remember the patterns for when I started lessons again. But my goal really was only to stay on the ice even if only an hour a week so when I had time to skate more and take lessons again, I wouldn't have to go through getting back into it.

Trying to learn to skate or improve significantly off of once a week? Now that is certainly hard.

I think their point is that you will need to rebuild your skills if you only participate in your sports once a week and unless you understand that, it can be frustrating.

looplover
05-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Uh oh...I can only afford to skate once a week right now. It's frustrating as I can't progress at all, and my sit spin is gone again. I'm working on silver moves instead, because I've already learned most of them, I need to work on passing standard.

It would be MUCH worse if I didn't skate at all though! Hopefully I can pick up a second day soon (apparently getting a raise but I won't hold my breath)

xofivebyfive
05-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Retry: I was only able to skate for half an hour today. I'm too fatigued from this lyme. But we switched back to IV meds so hopefully my energy level will go up soon.

pass: My backsit was actually pretty good today, and I managed to get a pretty position in my layback so that made me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urWMxmHsQLU - that's from today if anyone cares.

doubletoe
05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Retry: I was only able to skate for half an hour today. I'm too fatigued from this lyme. But we switched back to IV meds so hopefully my energy level will go up soon.

pass: My backsit was actually pretty good today, and I managed to get a pretty position in my layback so that made me happy.

Nice job on the spins! I'm impressed that you can do a reverse camel!:bow:
Here's a secret trick on the catch foot spiral: To stay balanced with your foot higher than your head, just push your chest down while pushing your free leg back and away from you (try to straighten it behind you as you hold onto the blade). The same trick will give you a great catch foot camel position, too!

saras
05-17-2008, 08:28 PM

if you're looking for tips, try thinking of rolling your eyes up in the back of your head while doing your layback - your position is really nice - if you relax your head a bit and let it drop back just a wee bit more it'll round out the whole "lay back" ;) For me the trick was rolling my eyes up in the back of my head - rather than trying to initiate the move from my neck or something.

I enjoyed your video!