View Full Version : Right Boot, Left Boot

kander
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I was wondering if anybody else has OCD rituals in their skating. For me I always put my right boot on first. I can't put on my left boot first because it feels really abnormal.

Kevin

dbny
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I always put my right skate on first, and shoes the same way, but sometimes notice that I put socks on with L first and it doesn't bother me. Taking skates off is the same - R first, and put it in the bag pointing the same way every time, then left and pointing the opposite way. Little things like that keep life predictable, when everything else is subject to change :lol:.

mikawendy
05-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm also a right boot - left boot person. Right on first, and right off first. If I need to retie, I usually do the same order, too, unless only my left boot needs retying.

icedancer2
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
The right boot is the first on, last off.

Hadn't thought about the last off part until just now.

But if I put the left boot on first I just feel very odd...

OCD?

Socks go - left sock, right sock on

left sock off, right sock off

shoes? Right on, left off... just like skates.

samba
05-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Told you so Mrs Redboots!!

Right first, but I'm sure you're not alone.

Sessy
05-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Landing foot first, usually.

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2008, 05:55 AM
No, no, no, no -LEFT boot first! Always. And left contact-lens, too.

Skittl1321
05-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Not me- I just try to make sure they end up on the correct foot!

badaxel
05-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Landing foot first, usually.

That's what I was thinking! I'm lefty, so left boot goes on first and comes off last. All of those who said right foot first, are you all righties?

aussieskater
05-05-2008, 06:58 AM
That's what I was thinking! I'm lefty, so left boot goes on first and comes off last. All of those who said right foot first, are you all righties?

I'm right foot on and off first, and a CW skater.

sue123
05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
For me, I don't have any problems with which skate goes on first, but I always put in my left contact lens first, although that's more because of comfort. My left eye tends to get really scratchy sometimes, so if I put in my left lens and it hurts, I'm not going to waste my lens putting in the right one since I won't be able to wear contacts that day.

SynchroSk8r114
05-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I always put on my right skate, put on my left skate, tie my left skate, then tie my right skate. Don't know why, but if I don't do put 'em on that way, it just feels...weird. So, I have to start all over again. And, yes--I am right-handed and a CCW jumper/spinner.

For me, it doesn't matter which skate I take off first as long as I get 'em on the right way.

Isk8NYC
05-05-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't pay attention to which foot first or last, but I do have a habit of putting both boots on my feet, untied, before I start lacing and tying. I also take both off before I start putting on my sneakers.

Bill_S
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't pay attention to which foot first or last, but I do have a habit of putting both boots on my feet, untied, before I start lacing and tying.

Ditto.

I guess the engineer in me says rough assembly first, then finish afterward.

Isk8NYC
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Ditto.

The cold-footed person in me says to warm up the skates before lacing. lol

icedancer2
05-05-2008, 01:03 PM
The cold-footed person in me says to warm up the skates before lacing. lolThis is a good idea - would this help with the heat-molded boots? It usually takes about 5 minutes of actual skating before I feel at all comfortable in these boots...

Isk8NYC
05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a good idea - would this help with the heat-molded boots? It usually takes about 5 minutes of actual skating before I feel at all comfortable in these boots...
It doesn't help when they're bone-chilling cold. I use DBNY's skate warmers for that situation.

When they're just a bit cool, doing this* lets the warm feet push out the cold air and warm up the leather a touch. I find the skates lace up correctly the first time. When the boots are cold, I usually have to relace after they warm up.

ETA: * I put both boots on my feet, untied, before I start lacing and tying.
So, I put my feet in my skates and fiddle around, getting out my water bottle, gloves, papers, guards, etc. Then, I lace up.

I really think it's more a touch of OCD on my part. lol

momsk8er
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Left skate, right skate then lace left, lace right. And I'm CW, but right handed.

When the boots are cold, I usually have to relace after they warm up.

Me too, even when the boots are room temperature, it always seems like they loosen up when the inside of the boots gets to skin temperature. This drives me crazy, as I'll need to relace sometimes in the middle of a lesson, and I'm afraid it will happen on a test. Any ideas??

Ice Dancer
05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Mine is left first. I never used to, but towards the end of last year I think it was I started having really good skates, and began noticing that I was putting left boot on first so I started getting superstitious about it! It's to the extent that if I have a bad skate now, I assume I put on my right boot first! Left boot comes off first too.

I am right handed and right footed, and right contact lens goes in first, but that was because it was recommended to me when I first got them as I have a different prescription in each eye and I was told to always put right in first so I didn't muddle them up, and so far it has worked.

Helen88
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Left everything first - socks, shoes, skates...then do the left skate up, right one on, right skate done up...then it's left one off first, dryed, laces tucked in...right one off, dryed, laces tucked in...then dry left one again, put soaker on, and put boot in bag. Always facing the same way. Dry right one again, soaker on, boot in bag facing same way. THEN...I have to put my boot covers in - orange ones at the toes, white ones in the middle, and pink ones at the back, then gloves in the middle, paired. Then take everything out because I realise I've left my hard guards on the bench :frus:

jazzpants
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
ETA: * I put both boots on my feet, untied, before I start lacing and tying.
So, I put my feet in my skates and fiddle around, getting out my water bottle, gloves, papers, guards, etc. Then, I lace up.Me too, but my reasoning has to do with the fact that I don't want my feet touching the dirty floors at the rink. If that's considered to be OCD on my part, so be it! :twisted: :lol:

As for why I get all the other stuff out first before I tie my skates, who knows... my only reasoning is that I just don't want to forget getting those things together in two organized piles - one to take with me and one to store in the lockers. (So not exactly OCD in my case. ;) )

chowskates
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I was wondering if anybody else has OCD rituals in their skating. For me I always put my right boot on first. I can't put on my left boot first because it feels really abnormal.

Kevin

I used to not care, but now I always put my L boot on first because otherwise I would have the R side tied too tight for some reason!

Rusty Blades
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm right foot on and off first, and a CW skater.

Me to.

And the engineer in me says to FINISH one project before starting another :roll: