View Full Version : Who are your idols in Figure Skating?

Muskoka Skater
05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Who is your idols in Figrue Skating and why?

Skittl1321
05-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Kristi Yamaguchi, and honestly probably just because she was at the top American of the sport around the time I took interest in it. But I always used to pretend to be her when we roller skated around the driveway.

Now I love watching many skaters, but I wouldn't call any idols.

Stormy
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Nancy Kerrigan and Brian Boitano, they're both the reasons I started skating in the first place. I'm with skittl, though, here's a lot of skaters I enjoy watching now, but no one I'd call an idol. It's hard to think of a 13 year old as an idol!

Mrs Redboots
05-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Jayne Torvill and Chris Dean. Not only were they the best ice dance team EVER, but they have stayed in the sport, and brought it to the forefront of the public mind again. They are very little younger than we are, but on the ice, they still look 25!

SynchroSk8r114
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
One of my freestyle coaches who is an Olympic medalist (that's all I'm gonna say). She pushes me to be better than what I believe I'm capable of and I like that.

doubletoe
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Daisuke Takahashi and Mao Asada. They both have the total package as skaters, from quads and triple axels to level 4 footwork and musical interpretation. I think they are also both excellent role models in terms of their sportsmanship, work ethic and humility.

SkaterBird
05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Daisuke Takahashi and Mao Asada. They both have the total package as skaters, from quads and triple axels to level 4 footwork and musical interpretation. I think they are also both excellent role models in terms of their sportsmanship, work ethic and humility.

Women - toss-up between Janet Lynn and Michelle Kwan. They're decades apart, but they are both capable of transporting an audience (or me, at least) to another place when they skate.

Men - the late, magnificent John Curry. He may have been the greatest artistic skater ever.

black
05-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Not really "idols" as such, but:

Gary Beacom and Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz stand out.

Some amazing musicality and innovative skating.

Rusty Blades
05-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Without a doubt, head and shoulders above all the rest: a lady named Pat!

She is 72, has only been skating a few years, and beat the crap out of me in Women's Bronze Free at Nationals a few weeks ago! 8O

When I grow up (I'm 58) I want to be as good as she is! :mrgreen:

dbny
05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Jayne Torvill and Chris Dean. Not only were they the best ice dance team EVER, but they have stayed in the sport, and brought it to the forefront of the public mind again. They are very little younger than we are, but on the ice, they still look 25!

I'm not one to idolize, but ITA about Torvill and Dean. Can't watch them enough. No team will ever equal what they have done on the ice. I also love Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, and Daisuke Takahashi.

jcookie1982
05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano

Helen88
05-04-2008, 03:24 PM
My coach. Who inspires me, motivates me, and gives me a hug when I'm beating myself up about things. It's all I can ask really :)

smelltheice
05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Scott Hamilton, a true performer in every sense and in the ladies, it would have to be Rosalynn Sumners and the pairs is Ingo Steuer (not sure if I spelt that right!!) and Mandy Wertzel...oooh and the Suideks, Dorota and Marius, the Polish pair are such inovators. Ice dance, being British has to be Torvill and Dean.

Mel On Ice
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Dorothy Hamill

Scott Hamilton

Kurt Browning

Michelle Kwan

Cindy Crouse

SkaterBird
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Dorothy Hamill

Scott Hamilton

Kurt Browning

Michelle Kwan

Cindy Crouse

Definitely Cindy Crouse.

cecealias
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Skippy Baxter - still skating into his late years

Elanore Woodbury (sp?) - who is still skating at age 92, skates my local rink. I aspire to be like her when I am 92.

Katerina Witt - for inspiring me at the 1984, 1988 olympics

Ekaterina Gordeeva - ditto, for 1988, 1994 olys

Elisabeth Manley, Michelle Kwan

Brian Boitano, who skates at the my local rink

and myself! (why not?)

jazzpants
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't have any "idols" really... but more people that inspires me...

Michelle Kwan for her grace under pressure.

Brian Boitano for him keeping up with his triple 'Tano lutz well into his 40's!!! That's KEWL!!! 8-)

My primary coach, for grounding me and NOT to take things TOO seriously!!! And for getting me involved in the FIRST place into the competitive Adult Skating world!

My figure skating personal trainer, for keeping me focus and pushing... I see the difference now from all the hard work she's giving me! And she PRACTICES what she preaches too, since I see her on the ice and see her gradually improving EVERY YEAR in her own skating!!!

Definitely Cindy Crouse.I third that emotion!!! :mrgreen:

I met Cindy for the very first time at AN this year and the first thing I was thinking is "this woman can't be over 50 and skate like that... and is still humble..." What inspires more is as she was talking about her skating and how she sets her goals... her mindset hits very close to home for me. Especially when she mentioned that she was set out for making it to AN and then when she met that goal that she set out to compete at Champ Adult Gold Ladies. It gives me a LOT of inspiration and hope to push on and that someday I will be competing at Champ Adult Gold too!!! (Of course, she also gives me NO EXCUSE on the days that I do want to goof off... :twisted: )

Of course, the other thing... well, quote me at the AN Competitor's party: WHOA!!! Look at those ARMS!!! They're BUILT, man!!!" She is STILL improving her game year after year after year.

So Cinderella On Ice... here's to you!!! :bow:

ETA: Both my NYC coach and Braden Overett, for showing me why I should work on my MITF and edge quality thru GREAT choreography! :bow:

starskate6.0
05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
MARK COCKERELL US silver Medal winner and Junior World Champion. Went to the Olympics and skated flawless . Best dam male figure skater the World has ever seen, unbelievable speed and power and my friend for over 20 years. . See him on Utube if you like. :bow:

Muskoka Skater
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
My idols are Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim, Lesley Hawker, and Jeffrey Buttle.

Mao Asada because she was one of the youngest skaters to do a triple axel and ever with her fall on it at the worlds she just kept skating and the rest of her program was beautiful.

Yu-Na Kim because she skates with such grace and I used to be not so graceful, but now she has inspired me to be more graceful especially with my arms.

Lesley Hawker because she never gave up and he kept on going. She only began competing at 15 and then she got her double axel and now she is one of the top ranked skaters in Canada. She has come a long way and has never given up so she is one of my idols.

Jeffrey Buttle because he proved at the worlds that you don't need a quad to win the men's event. All you need is a good skate with high leveled spins, footwork, and artistry to win.

These skaters are amazing athletes that never give up, and they are my idols!

doubletoe
05-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Definitely Cindy Crouse.

Oh yeah, I want to add Kurt Browning and Cindy Crouse, too! (Hope she doesn't mind being mentioned in the same list as Kurt Browning, LOL!)

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2008, 06:03 AM
I also admire Kurt Browning (footwork) and Scott Hamilton (footwork/presentation).

Kristi Yamaguchi is probably the first figure skater I can actually remember looking up to as a child. I was fascinated with her grace and elegance and the fact that she was still technically strong.

SkatingOnClouds
05-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Dunno about idols, but all time favourites would have to be:

Men: John Curry, for his effortless looking artistry

Ladies: Midori Ito for her atheleticism. She wasn't always as artistic as some of her competitors, but she sure could jump. She made it okay for ladies to really attack jumps instead of gliding around all girly-pretty.

Ice skating is only ever broadcast in Australia during Winter Olympics, so I have no idea whose out there these days.

starskate6.0
05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Dunno about idols, but all time favourites would have to be:

Men: John Curry, for his effortless looking artistry

Ladies: Midori Ito for her atheleticism. She wasn't always as artistic as some of her competitors, but she sure could jump. She made it okay for ladies to really attack jumps instead of gliding around all girly-pretty.

Ice skating is only ever broadcast in Australia during Winter Olympics, so I have no idea whose out there these days.

Hey Clouds.. Are you in Australia ..?? Im an Aussie skating in America..

dbny
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM

I have one word for you: YouTube!

FSWer
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
GREAT TOPIC!!!!!! MY TURN!!!!! For me it's...... Freestyle = Ashley Wagner,Emily Hughes,Kimmie Meissner,Rachael Flatt.

Pairs = Rena and John, and Jessica Dube and Bruce Davison.

Dance = Melissa Gregory and Denis

Synchro. = The Haydenettes, Team Surprise, and the Crystallettes.

SkatingOnClouds
05-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Hey Clouds.. Are you in Australia ..?? Im an Aussie skating in America..

Yep, I'm in Hobart, Tasmania.