View Full Version : What Synchro.Team have you always wanted to be on from the time you were younger?

FSWer
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok...I was reading an artical in International Figure Skating,and it encouraged me to post this. So for those here who are Synchros.. the question I have for you today is.... What Synchronized Skating Team have you always wanted to be on from the time you were a kid? Or at least younger?

BTW. I have a question. I have heard that Synchronized Skaters can't give their names out. Yet they do when their inteviewed by the Press. Is there a Synchro. out there that can explain this? Thanks.

Skittl1321
05-02-2008, 07:24 AM
When I was little I really wanted to be on the precision skating team at our local rink. I don't know what the team was called or the proper name for the rink (It's now called Chaparrel Ice, but wasn't then). I couldn't be on it though because you had to have at least your first figure test. I had only done Basic 1, and when my Mom found out how early (and how expensive) patch ice was, my skating dreams were thwarted. (I think I may have continued to Basic 2, but my skating was kept to a few times a year recreationally. I didn't ever do real lessons)

I can't answer anything about the names question. I had never heard that.

Mrs Redboots
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I have never, either now or in the past, wanted to skate on a synchro team! I love to watch it, but would hate to skate it!

CanAmSk8ter
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok...I was reading an artical in International Figure Skating,and it encouraged me to post this. So for those here who are Synchros.. the question I have for you today is.... What Synchronized Skating Team have you always wanted to be on from the time you were a kid? Or at least younger?

BTW. I have a question. I have heard that Synchronized Skaters can't give their names out. Yet they do when their inteviewed by the Press. Is there a Synchro. out there that can explain this? Thanks.

You mean on message boards like this one? It's up to individual teams to decide whether they want their skaters saying in public forums like this one what team they're on. Teams that have a blanket rule against it generally do that because they have teams of younger skaters. As far as I'm concerned, there are two good reasons for skaters not to say what team they're on:

1) Pre-teens and teenagers don't always use good judgment about what they should and shouldn't say online, and poor behavior from a skater who has told people what team she's on reflects badly on that team.

2) Safety. If someone creepy wants to find me, for whatever reason, and I've told them I skate for Team ______, it's not hard for that person to go to Synchroboards, the USFS website, the team's website, etc. and find out what competitions and shows I'd be skating at. Same reason kids are always told never to say where they go to school.

As far as skaters saying what their names are, giving out real names to people you don't know is NOT a good idea for young people to do online. Ideally it would be the parents telling kids that for safety reasons, but the coaches often repeat it because, again, poor online behavior from a skater reflects badly on her team.

FSWer
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
You mean on message boards like this one? It's up to individual teams to decide whether they want their skaters saying in public forums like this one what team they're on. Teams that have a blanket rule against it generally do that because they have teams of younger skaters. As far as I'm concerned, there are two good reasons for skaters not to say what team they're on:

1) Pre-teens and teenagers don't always use good judgment about what they should and shouldn't say online, and poor behavior from a skater who has told people what team she's on reflects badly on that team.

2) Safety. If someone creepy wants to find me, for whatever reason, and I've told them I skate for Team ______, it's not hard for that person to go to Synchroboards, the USFS website, the team's website, etc. and find out what competitions and shows I'd be skating at. Same reason kids are always told never to say where they go to school.

As far as skaters saying what their names are, giving out real names to people you don't know is NOT a good idea for young people to do online. Ideally it would be the parents telling kids that for safety reasons, but the coaches often repeat it because, again, poor online behavior from a skater reflects badly on her team.

LOL,I saw names given out in the magazine. How are they allowed to give names out in that case?

Clarice
05-03-2008, 09:38 AM
LOL,I saw names given out in the magazine. How are they allowed to give names out in that case?

Well, speaking as a mother, I wouldn't want my daughter giving out personal information on a message board because it's too easy for strangers to contact her directly on the computer - personal messages, IMs, chat rooms - and I wouldn't be able to supervise it as easily to help keep her safe. I wouldn't mind if her real name appeared in a magazine or the newspaper, because anybody who tried to contact her because of the article would first have to figure out where we live, and then telephone our house or send something through the regular mail. I would be much more likely to know about it and could take action if necessary.