View Full Version : Has your interest in Skating ever rubbed off on anyone else?

FSWer
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok skaters!!!! Here's a topic I don't think has ever been bought up. But has a friend or anyone ever seen you skate or heard about your intrest in Skating so much. That they just automatically just wanted to take it up,just because YOU did? I know it's happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else here? If so.....let's here your stories.

jazzpants
05-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Not yet... in fact, my non-skating friends are usually older folks who are either just aren't that adventurous to strap on the skates. (In the case of my younger non-skating crowd -- they just aren't into the skating...) :lol:

But it's fine! I actually like the fact that I have something unique from them! 8-)

Rusty Blades
05-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm 58, my sister is 55. We both skated a bit as kids and I got into it again 2 years ago.

This year (Canadian) Adult Nationals was near where she lives so I invited her to be my guest, watch the competition, and meet my friends. Before CAN she said she would never skate again. By Day #2 it was "maybe". By the end of CAN she said she was going to do it :mrgreen: so I introduced her to a number of the local skaters to make sure she does :twisted:

jcookie1982
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
It hasn't rubbed off on any of my friends yet, but it did rub off on my daughter.

phoenix
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
YES!! A friend I worked with at the time, saw how much fun I was having & so she started taking group lessons. One day at a public skate session I introduced her to my coach. Now, about 10 years later, I'm still skating, she's still skating--and she and my (former) coach are married!! :mrgreen:

sue123
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think I've ever influenced anyone to take up skating, but I did remind a few people about how much they enjoyed skating when they were younger. I would talk to my friends about skating, and a few of them said they used to take lessons when they were kids, and asked if they could come along some time.

Helen88
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
No - but my best friend encouraged me! It's quite funny really - it was always a competition with us. We've known each other all our lives. She got her own skates (parent bought)...a month later I did (with my own money, may I add!). She got group lessons first...I got them a few months later. She got privates first...EVENTUALLY, I got privates too, with the same coach.

A year on...she's given up completely, and having been jealous of her being able to skate backwards first, she's now watching me jump :D

Sweet :)

liz_on_ice
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I keep rubbing up against my husband, but so far have had no luck that way.

techskater
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Liz, don't you rub up against your husband for more than skating vibes? ;)

kander
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I was close. I got a friend at work to take up speed skating. He's Dutch, so it's in his blood.

dbny
05-03-2008, 12:25 AM
A neighbor, whom I've been coaching as a courtesy
Several skater parents
A security guard where I work
A friend who always wanted to skate, but never had

I've gotten a little cautious about encouraging people to skate. It really is not for everyone. My dearest friend has never skated, can't ride a bike, does not have very good balance, and in general is scared of new physical challenges. I would never ask her to try it. Also, she lives alone - who would help her if she broke something?

liz_on_ice
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Liz, don't you rub up against your husband for more than skating vibes? ;)

My husband is appreciative of the changes skating has wrought on my body, weight loss, muscle tone, flexibility and suchlike.

He hasn't cottoned to the idea I might like to see those things in him too :halo:

jskater49
05-04-2008, 06:56 AM
My daughter. People always ask me "Oh did you take up skating because of your daughter" Uh, no --it's the other way around. I started skating long before she did!

Of course you wouldn't know it from the way we skate! :D

j