View Full Version : Skating, weight-bearing exercise, and osteopenia

je
05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I had a visit with my doctor yesterday, who told me that the results of a recent bone-density test put me in the osteopenia category. She gave recommendations for boosting my calcium and vitamin D intake, and suggested I start using weights. I asked about skating being weight-bearing, but didn't really get to explain what I do on the ice. I think she was imagining just skating around in circles.

After doing some reading online about osteopenia, I don't feel too concerned about the diagnosis (given that half of all women over 50 fall into the category, and that a drug company seems to have been behind the creation of the diagnosis) but I wondered what others thought about skating being weight-bearing. To me, it seems that jumping should fall into that category, and so should partnered ice dancing, as you are exerting pressure against your partner when you're in hold (at least for some holds).

I was surprised about the results, because my sense of my body is that I've never been stronger. I fall quite a bit and have never broken anything. Since I've never had one of these tests before, there's no way of knowing how it compares to the younger me.

Thanks.

Johanna

Isk8NYC
05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, I think one of the main concerns is back/spine health. Pairs and partnered dancers get more of an upper-body weight-bearing workout than do singles skaters.

I use a Nautilus machine at our Club, mostly for the upper-body workout.

Nothing wrong with varying your routine and doing some off-ice training.

LilJen
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
What kind of test did you have to measure your bone density? I had the "quickie" method last fall (where they scan one of your heels) and it said I was osteopenic. After a lifetime (I was 38 at the time) of exercise, good nutrition, and never being underweight, I was shocked. My dr ordered a DEXA scan (it's a full-body deal concentrating on your spine & pelvis). That scan confirmed I was totally normal (and in fact better than average). That's my first thought.

Second thought: Isn't walking considered weight-bearing exercise (obviously not for the upper body but certainly for the spine, pelvis and legs)? If so, then I would definitely think skating is, too. I don't think you have to be pounding for something to be considered weight bearing. I concur with Isk8NYC, though, that it never hurts to vary your exercise routine. Plus, as we get older our bodies naturally lose muscle tissue, so even the tiniest bit of weight lifting can help a great deal in maintaining strength.

doubletoe
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I would compare figure skating to low impact aerobics when explaining to doctors. Both require fairly deep knee bending and pushing off, which I would definitely consider weight-bearing. . .

herniated
05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
je..I have osteopenia. I was diagnosed at 38 I am 44 now. Be careful of how much and what type of calcium you take.I was told to take 1500mg of calcium citrate/day w/ vitamin D. My bone mass increased but I developed kidney stones. A lot of them. They are no joke. Worse, way worse than childbirth. 8OIf you've ever had the experience. WAAAYYY Worse. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids to help the calcium NOT to form stones. Like 3 quarts of fluid per day, of course spread out during the day not all at once.:lol:

Skating is weight bearing but it is not enough. Training with weights and /or resistence equipment will help tremendously. It may be a good idea to work with a personal trainer who has at least some interest in bone density issues. Just make sure (if you do do this) that the person is certified and certified through a reputable organization. If you need help doing this I can help. I am trainer an can give you the website of some good organizations to find one near you.

Hope I don't sound too pushy but this topic is very important to me. I felt so betrayed by my body when I got this diagnosis.

dbny
05-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I was relieved and pleased to find out that any weight bearing exercise benefits all of your bones, not just the ones involved in the exercise. It's a systemic thing. I grew up without drinking milk and almost no cheese or yoghurt, but was a very serious roller skater from 12 thru 18. I credit that with the current good health of my bones at age 61.

sk8pics
05-02-2008, 06:01 AM
I also remember reading that your bones need to be "surprised" once in a while. So I think it's important to do a variety of weight-bearing exercise, not just the same thing all the time. Of course, that's important for other reasons, too.

lovepairs
05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
I had a visit with my doctor yesterday, who told me that the results of a recent bone-density test put me in the osteopenia category. She gave recommendations for boosting my calcium and vitamin D intake, and suggested I start using weights. I asked about skating being weight-bearing, but didn't really get to explain what I do on the ice. I think she was imagining just skating around in circles.

After doing some reading online about osteopenia, I don't feel too concerned about the diagnosis (given that half of all women over 50 fall into the category, and that a drug company seems to have been behind the creation of the diagnosis) but I wondered what others thought about skating being weight-bearing. To me, it seems that jumping should fall into that category, and so should partnered ice dancing, as you are exerting pressure against your partner when you're in hold (at least for some holds).

I was surprised about the results, because my sense of my body is that I've never been stronger. I fall quite a bit and have never broken anything. Since I've never had one of these tests before, there's no way of knowing how it compares to the younger me.

Thanks.

Johanna

Hi Johanna,

I'm turning 51 in a few weeks. I'm the pair skater who recently had the accident in Lake Placid. Because of this I've had a bunch of cat scans and X-rays and the report came back same as yours--that for a woman my age I presented osteopenia consistent with a woman my age. What the hell does that mean??? I'm incredibly fit, strong, lift weights regularly, have been taking calcium, magnesium, and D for years, and totally beat the curve, in terms of fitness, against probably 90% of the woman out there my age, who do nothing at all with diet and excersise. I might add that I watch my diet very carefully, too, mostly organic, no chemicals, perservatives, no soda, stay completely away from processed and fast foods.

I think I agree with you, based upon what we are talking about here that this diagnosis is largely based upon the pharmasuticals' needs to sell us more drugs. I don't buy any of it, and will continue to practice preventive medicine with regard to my health.

I'm not sure the skating would make much of an inpact, since it is really more anerobic, but lifting weights has proven to build strong bones. Can't lift any more weights then I do, so if I have osteopenia then so does everyone else my age and older.

Oh, also, here's a tip: You need to take Magnesium in combination with the Calcium. Magnesium is responsible for "laying" the calcium down on your bone. If you are just taking Calcium alone it won't get to your bone with out the assistance of Magnesium. I'm surprised that your Dr. didn't tell you this. It's a big scam getting all of these woman to each the little chocolate calcium chews in the morning without taking magnesium--it does nothing alone.

herniated
05-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi lovepairs,
Osteopenia/osteoporosis is also hereditary. Sometimes you can do all the right things and still develop it -- unfortunately. Like I said before mine showed up at 38. My doctor (rheumatologist) did not push prescription meds nor did he want me to go them. A combination of my test results and age at the time did not warrent it. The condition is in my family on my mother's side.

My doctor also said that it doesn't mean I wiillll develop osteoporosis if I continue to do weight bearing exercise and intake calcium. Currently I'm trying to intake calcium through diet instead of supplements.

je
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Hope it's okay if I combine responses to a few people in one message.

What kind of test did you have to measure your bone density?

I had the full-body one. The tech let me look at my x-rays and I thought my spine and hip joint looked splendid!

Be careful of how much and what type of calcium you take.

Thanks for the warning. I am hoping to up my dietary intake as much as I reasonably can, then fill in with supplements. I'm so sorry you had to go through that painful experience!

lovepairs: Thanks for your response. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in my thinking on this. Despite what I said about not being too worried, when I got on the ice this morning, I felt like I needed to be careful, and I really didn't like the feeling. Had a good lesson, though, and I think I've put the worry behind me. :)

I will take your advice on the magnesium.

I hope your recovery is coming along swiftly.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think this is the first thread I've started here, and it's nice to feel like there's a community of people paying attention.

Johanna

climbsk8
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
"I'm turning 51 in a few weeks. I'm the pair skater who recently had the accident in Lake Placid. Because of this I've had a bunch of cat scans and X-rays and the report came back same as yours--that for a woman my age I presented osteopenia consistent with a woman my age. What the hell does that mean??? I'm incredibly fit, strong, lift weights regularly, have been taking calcium, magnesium, and D for years, and totally beat the curve, in terms of fitness, against probably 90% of the woman out there my age, who do nothing at all with diet and excersise. I might add that I watch my diet very carefully, too, mostly organic, no chemicals, perservatives, no soda, stay completely away from processed and fast foods."

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! I THINK I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU WHEN I GROW UP :bow:

icedancer2
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think this is the first thread I've started here, and it's nice to feel like there's a community of people paying attention.

Johanna

And even some of us who didn't actually respond are reading and thinking about this very important thread. I find that most physicians have no idea how to evaluate what we do as figure skaters... they just know what they see on TV...

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up - I am definitely going to look into this when I'm done being sick.

herniated
05-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh! One other thing je... my doctor said I'm not at any greater risk for fracture with my level of osteopenia. But at first I was cautious on the ice but he keeps reassuring me I'm not at risk. OK with me!!:)

happysk8tes
05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
My first Bone Density test 2 years ago was normal. But now I've also been diagnosed with Osteopenia, in one quadrant only, one of my hips after taking the test again last summer. My gyno explained it is more than likely caused by menopause (I'm 55) but can be reversed by walking and taking Calcium, D and Magnesium.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to tell people other than fellow skaters that I've broken 3 bones in 19 months. Broke the shoulder in the summer of 06 doing the 5step mohawk (on very bad ice I must add!). Last summer I broke the left wrist on back power perimeter crossovers, this Feb I broke the right wrist (had to have matching breaks, I guess) doing backward Chasses. Yesterday I questioned the Orthopedic Dr. about all bone issues. Obviously skating falls aren't caused by osteopenia, and he didn't even feel the need for me to have a repeat Bone Density test for a few years. He recommends lifting weights and walking, and the Calcium.

My PA wants me to be the first to take the new osterporosis IV 15 minute therapy, but I'm not going to be the guinne pig for that! Especially since the ortho Dr. doens't think I should be overly concerned with the osteopenia.

I have some osteoarthritis in my lower spine and I was told by that Dr. skating was the best sport for arthristis - keep those joints moving!

An aside: Not one of my Docs think I should stop skating - the benefits far outway the risks. They just tell me to stop falling. ha

techskater
05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
"
YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! I THINK I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU WHEN I GROW UP :bow:

But Climb, you won't grow up. Wait, that's me, I refuse to grow up.

ibreakhearts66
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I was diagnosed with osteopenia when I was 14 (due to anorexia). Well, actually, they first told me I had severe osteoporosis, but when I had the test re-done at a place that had equipment to test adolescents, the diagnosis was lowered to osteopenia. Since I am so athletic, I was so scared at first. However, I, too, was assured that it didn't put me at a significantly higher risk for acute fractures. I was told that I was at a higher risk for stress fractures and compression fractures of spine, though.

Management for me was obviously different than for women in their 50's. It was more about ensuring that I improved my nutrition and got my period back. They did say though that it is possible that things would have been much worse if I hadn't been a skater. So, I interpreted that to mean that skating is pretty good weight-bearing exercise.

I guess what I would suggest is supplementing your skating with other exercises more traditionally considered to help bone density. It can't hurt!

lovepairs
05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
lovepairs: Thanks for your response. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in my thinking on this. Despite what I said about not being too worried, when I got on the ice this morning, I felt like I needed to be careful, and I really didn't like the feeling. Had a good lesson, though, and I think I've put the worry behind me. :)

I will take your advice on the magnesium.

I hope your recovery is coming along swiftly.

Johanna

Hi Je,

I don't think you have to worry about brittle bones and falling at all. Consider this, I fell straight down on my tailbone in a sitting position from about a height of 8' up. Lee is 6'3" and with locked out arms that's about another two feet up. I hit direct and hard, and with "oesteopenia" I only fractured a vertabrae and my sacrum. I don't think you have anything to worry about falling just from your own height on the ice at all. Because, if you and I were really that brittle, my spine would have looked like something out of the salmon can--you know what I mean?

Also, please google: Calcium and Magnesium. You will see that there is a certain ratio of one to the other that you need to take for it to be effective. I think someone on this thread said not to overdose on the calcium, which is very true--it's easy to eat those little chocolate chews like their candy, but one a day with a balance of magnesium is more than enough.

I'm happy, because my recovery is coming along nicely. My range of motion increases a little bit on a daily basis--so, I'm hopeful.

lovepairs
05-03-2008, 03:16 PM
But Climb, you won't grow up. Wait, that's me, I refuse to grow up.

First of all, Climb, you're out of your mind--believe me, you don't want to be like me! LOL!!!

Tech, you little sicko, who do you think I am? Peter Pan! LOL!!!