View Full Version : Paramount Blades question

Skittl1321
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
First- Does anyone know what the rocker is on these blades? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Second- I'm not a high level skater, at all. Are these blades just way out of my league?

(The lower ones they sell.) At first glance they seemed really expensive, which is a good sign I don't need them- but then I noticed they aren't THAT much more than Coronation Ace's ($30-$40 depending on where I buy them), which is really manageable. Of course, the main reason I want them is they are pretty- and because of synchro I probably can't get colored ones anyway :(

So does anyone like paramounts for NOT high level skaters?

Right now I'm skating on used Gold Seals and they are about to the end of their useful life. I'd been considering just taking my Ultima Mirages from my first skates and mounting them onto the skates I wear now, but I'm wondering if the Mirage will just be too much of a downgrade. I improved a ton when I went to the Gold Seals. I've also looked at the Ultima Protege- which is one step up from the mirage.

Clarice
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm an absolute dunce at remembering numbers, but I seem to remember that whatever the rocker is on a Paramount, it's the same as Pattern 99s. My daughter went from Patterns to Paramounts, and one reason we did it was because the profile was supposedly the same. The biggest reason was that they wouldn't need to be sharpened as often. She needs to send hers out of town, but I believe your coach is equipped to sharpen Paramounts, isn't he? I'm considering switching to them when I need new blades, too.

Skittl1321
04-29-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm an absolute dunce at remembering numbers, but I seem to remember that whatever the rocker is on a Paramount, it's the same as Pattern 99s. My daughter went from Patterns to Paramounts, and one reason we did it was because the profile was supposedly the same. The biggest reason was that they wouldn't need to be sharpened as often. She needs to send hers out of town, but I believe your coach is equipped to sharpen Paramounts, isn't he? I'm considering switching to them when I need new blades, too.

Oh goody! That's an 8' rocker which is what both of my blades have been so far.

I don't think my coach has the add ons they recommend to sharpen them- because he sharpens skates at our rink, but I've heard some people say that the add on isn't necessary. I'll have to ask him. I haven't seen any of his skaters on them (many wear the matrix system, like he does)

Lots of Cedar Rapids skaters seem to wear them so someone around her must be able to sharpen them. If they really last 80 hours then I'll only need a sharpening like 3-4 times a year, so I could send them up there.

Stormy
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I REALLY want to try Paramounts, and I love the fact they come in colors. :) I don't need the highest level one, so I'm thinking the mid level one would be good, but then I'm going from an 8' rocker to a 9'...I wish there was one in between. The mid level says it's good for axels and beginning doubles, and the advanced is for triples and quads.

Skittl, someone on my synchro team had the pink ones and she had to switch to another pair for the season. I'm not doing synchro this year so that's another reason I want them now.

Does anyone have the mid level Paramounts that can speak to their qualities? I HATE HATE HATE my Ultimas and want to get rid of them ASAP.

Isk8NYC
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
There are blades with 9' rockers? 8O Wow!

Skittl1321
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Skittl, someone on my synchro team had the pink ones and she had to switch to another pair for the season. I'm not doing synchro this year so that's another reason I want them now.

I'll have to wait and see if our coach changes, and then ask whomever the coach is. I don't know if it would really matter. At ISI nationals there were at least two teams where one member had gold blades to everyone else's silver. But I'm not sure I WANT my blades drawn attention to in synchro. I'm not good!

I think even silver ones might be worth a try- I want to see about the light weight.

BuggieMom
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
By mid level do you mean the 420's? The rocker is 8' on both the 420's and the 440's. The blades are patterned (pardon the pun!) after the Pattern 99, and have the same rocker and pick profile. My dd went from Patterns to the mid level Paramounts with only about 10 minutes adjustment time.

They really are wonderful blades! They are so light, when I handed the box to our skate guy, he said "There's nothing in here!" My dd has landed everything up to 2flip in them, and has had no problems whatsoever. I love the fact that the sharpenings last so long. She went through her Patterns in a YEAR because she likes them so sharp...well, mom can't handle $450 or so bucks EVERY YEAR for blades, so if these last the way I expect them to, they will save me about $200 a year. Right now, it has been almost 2 months, at 10 hours a week, and she is just now saying that they might need sharpening soon. By now, her Patterns would have been sharpened at least twice, maybe three times.

She has the pink ones, and really, they aren't in-your-face-pink. At first I said no to the colored ones, but then I saw some at skate camp, and realized that across a rink, unless the light catches then "just right", it isn't very noticeable. And hey, she works hard...why not have a little whimsy?

If you can't tell, I am really sold on these blades...

Skittl1321
04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
If you can't tell, I am really sold on these blades...

Thanks for the review! They have dark colors now too, but you're right about the lighter colors- the pink/purple you have to be looking for to notice it, or it can look like a trick of the light. I remember at regionals having to do a few double takes whether they really had purple blades or not.

And my (now former) coach says he can sharpen them- though I'm not sure if he has yet. So if I got them, I'm not completley lost for that.

dbny
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
There are blades with 9' rockers? 8O Wow!

I'm pretty sure that all the Paramounts except the lowest level have 8.5' rockers. The info was available when they were offering a discount to coaches, and that's when I last saw it. I was hoping for an 8' rocker, because I already know that 8.5 is too flat for me, but there weren't any.

AxelBaby
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Stormy...

I have the paramount 420s and I really do adore them. I have them in the blue.

I was worried about the level of blade when I got them as I believe I got "too much blade." When I ordered them I was landing all singles minus the axel, but was so afraid to go down to the lowest level for fear that I would have to change blades really soon.

But...I have been using them without any real problems. The change in the rocker size didn't seem to bother me (I think I went from a 7 in my G4s to an 8 on the paramount). I also switched from a cross pick style to the straight but aggressive pick on the paramounts.

Actually, looking back on it I think I liked the cross pick feature on the G4s better than the straight toe pick on the paramounts. But that is just being really picky, and all in all I am awfully fond of my blue blades.

It took me about one day on them to get my forward spins back (back spins improved within a matter of minutes on them) but I had no problems at all with the jumps.

I haven't really noticed the difference in the "lightness" of them. Some people seem to have an easier time getting their legs up in spirals and such after getting them, however I just never really noticed the difference. But I also made the switch from lighter boots to heavier boots when I had the paramounts mounted.

All in all I really like them. I've only had them about three months but so far so good. I still probably have too much blade for my level but I'm willing to work through it. I am currently working on axel, and working on not having my double salchow and double loop cheated and just started working double flip.

I hope this helps with your questions!

BuggieMom
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that all the Paramounts except the lowest level have 8.5' rockers. The info was available when they were offering a discount to coaches, and that's when I last saw it. I was hoping for an 8' rocker, because I already know that 8.5 is too flat for me, but there weren't any.

From www.paramountskates.com:

"The rocker profiles of the freestyle blades are the same as the Pattern 99 and the Gold Seal Blades."

Also read that the 420's are considered the "advanced" level, not the mid level, so sorry if I confused you...my dd has the 420's, the "advanced" level. Since these were in between the lower and higher models, I thought "mid-level". The lower level blade is NOT made from stainless steel, and would not hold a sharpening the same as the 420's and 440's.

dbny
04-30-2008, 01:41 AM
From www.paramountskates.com:

"The rocker profiles of the freestyle blades are the same as the Pattern 99 and the Gold Seal Blades.".

That may be what they are saying now, but I did read otherwise. I find it really disturbing that in the "Technical Information" section of their site, they do not give specific rocker sizes. In fact, they don't tell us anywhere, except, as you have pointed out, buried as a reference to another company's blades. Just seems very fishy to me, or maybe just careless.

herniated
04-30-2008, 07:17 AM
I was looking into these blades too after reading ibreakhearts thread about them. My skate sharpeing guy is listed as a provider/ carrrier?. He said he won't sell them anymore. A lot of skaters at his rink bought them and found that they don't hold the edge as well as they should and the difference in weight is not that substantial. Just his opinion.

Skittl1321
04-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I was looking into these blades too after reading ibreakhearts thread about them. My skate sharpeing guy is listed as a provider/ carrrier?. He said he won't sell them anymore. A lot of skaters at his rink bought them and found that they don't hold the edge as well as they should and the difference in weight is not that substantial. Just his opinion.

Interesting. I'd be getting the low level blade, so weight and looks are the only advantages for me. If the weight isn't really that different, than I'm not sure its worth it.

They seem to be really popular around here, but maybe if I give it another year everyone will have switched back?

I hate that there is no way to try a blade before you buy it. You just got to plunk down the money and cross your fingers it will work.

Summerkid710
04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
That may be what they are saying now, but I did read otherwise. I find it really disturbing that in the "Technical Information" section of their site, they do not give specific rocker sizes. In fact, they don't tell us anywhere, except, as you have pointed out, buried as a reference to another company's blades. Just seems very fishy to me, or maybe just careless.

Knowing Rob (Mr. Paramount), the reason that the website probably doesn't give the rocker is that he loves to explain how the rocker changes from the sweet spot all the way to the bottom of the toe pick and that therefore there is no one rocker. I'm sure he would even pull out the production diagrams to help explain if you wanted to ask. He's also not the best with marketing. It boils down to the fact that basically, it's an 8 foot.

I have skated in them. The edges are good and fast. But all in all, I prefer my MK Phantoms.

herniated
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I agree with you Skittl. I too wish we could try out a blade first. It's a lot of money to spend then hate the product.

I'm going to Klingbeil's Friday and he is also a provider/vendor of the paramount blade. I'll ask (if I remember) him what his opinion is or what he has heard.

quarkiki2
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
After checking out the Paramount webpage, I am annoyed to have found three spelling errors in the first four minutes I was on the site. I don't care how good the blades are, your official site should use proper spelling.

ibreakhearts66
04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Interesting. I'd be getting the low level blade, so weight and looks are the only advantages for me. If the weight isn't really that different, than I'm not sure its worth it.

They seem to be really popular around here, but maybe if I give it another year everyone will have switched back?

I hate that there is no way to try a blade before you buy it. You just got to plunk down the money and cross your fingers it will work.

Personally, I find the weight difference to be tremendous. I feel as if my jumps absolutely fly. My spiral is significantly higher the hang time on my split jumps is amazing.

I have the 420s, and I love love LOVE these blades. The ONLY problem I have with them is really my own problem. My free leg tends to come up on the landing of my axels (like a wrap, but only as I check-out). I think I'm wrapping a liiiittle bit more on the landings because there is less weight keeping my leg down, but really, that is my problem.

At first I didn't feel the difference on my jumps, but I sure do now. I was doing a single flip and almost fell because I spent so much more time in the air than I used to. Seriously, I was only at the top of the jump when I would usually be landing. Some of that, I would assume, comes from the difference in toe-pick, but I certainly think the weight plays into it.

My axel is huge. It is probably longer than I am tall.

The adjustment, for me, was really easy. I switched from coronation aces and was really nervous about adjusting for the rocker. My coronation aces were starting to flatten out from having them so long which helped the transition, but I haven't even really had any problems with the toepicks (knock on wood).

according to this webiste (http://www.skatebladeperfection.com/blades.htm) The 420s and 440s are 8 foot. It does say the the lower levels are 9 foot. This seems like it must be mistake. Can anyone confirm this?

herniated
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Ok came back from Klingbeil (my boot guy) and spoke with Don. He carries the blade and said that they Doooooooooo need to be sharpened with special equipment. Special stone or something. Don't quote me on this. On the paramount web site though it states no special equipment needed!! That's probably why my sharpening guy won't sell or sharpen them anymore. He probably doesn't have the equipment. I felt them though today in my size. Super light, super light. Don did say that the guys tend to break them. Doing triples I guess and thier body weight?

But, he said a lot of skaters are using them.

Stormy
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
according to this webiste (http://www.skatebladeperfection.com/blades.htm) The 420s and 440s are 8 foot. It does say the the lower levels are 9 foot. This seems like it must be mistake. Can anyone confirm this?

That's my concern as well is the 9 foot rocker....it'd be a big adjustment, wouldnt it? Also, is there a big difference in carbon steel vs stainless steel? These are the blades I wanted:

Mid level Freestyle Blade
1085 Carbon Steel 58 RC $236.00
9 ft. Rocker Radius, 4mm thick,
Smaller Toepick
(Perfect for those working on axels and doubles. Testing or competing Juvinile, Intermediate)

And yes, I caught the typo on the word Juvenile. :)

ibreakhearts66
05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
That's my concern as well is the 9 foot rocker....it'd be a big adjustment, wouldnt it? Also, is there a big difference in carbon steel vs stainless steel? These are the blades I wanted:

Mid level Freestyle Blade
9 ft. Rocker Radius, 4mm thick,
Smaller Toepick
(Perfect for those working on axels and doubles. Testing or competing Juvinile, Intermediate)

And yes, I caught the typo on the word Juvenile. :)

i just can't imagine that they would actually make LOWER level blades with a 9 foot radius. i don't think ANYONE makes blades with a 9 foot. i feel like it must be a mistake.

AxelBaby
05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
There is just so much confusing information out there about these blades.

When I was looking into them I saw a completely different description as to what each level blade was supposed to be correct for. Such as this description...

"The Mid-Level blade is a good choice for those learning to do axels and lower level spins. It is less aggressive then the Advanced and Top-Level blades.This blade is made with an aluminum holder and carbon steel runner. Unlike the Top and Advanced Level Blades, this blade does not utilize Stainless Steel."

4mm thick,
Smaller Toepick
(Perfect for those working on single jumps, for double jumps use the Advanced Level Blade)

After reading that description I decided to go up to the 420 since I had already started working on some doubles. But after reading the previously posted description I wonder if this was actually the blade I should have had.

I really do like the blades - but am really wishing they would get their marketing together in a uniform fashion.

Stormy
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
ITA, AxelBaby! That's my problem too, I'm leaning towards the mid-level blade because I'm only doing up to double loop....but I'm thinking the toepick would be too small. I love big picks. The advanced ones say they're for triples, though, plus they're a lot more expensive.

ibreakhearts66
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
ITA, AxelBaby! That's my problem too, I'm leaning towards the mid-level blade because I'm only doing up to double loop....but I'm thinking the toepick would be too small. I love big picks. The advanced ones say they're for triples, though, plus they're a lot more expensive.

by mid-level do you mean what THEY call mid-level? or the 420s? I think of the 420s as the mid-level simply because it's not their top top blade. from what i understand, the 420s and 440s actually have the same toe-pick design. if you are working on double loop, i think the 420s would be fine. they are more expensive, but the sharpenings last longer than the intermediate level (or whatever they're called).

SkaterBird
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
If anyone here needs a 9.5 blade and wants to try Paramounts for not a lot of money, there is a pair iof 440s listed on eBay. They're in the Minneapolis area and they have a starting bid of $49.99. I have no idea who the seller is. I can tell you that Pierce Ski & Skate, where these blades have been sharpened, has a very good reputation among upper level skaters in this area for quality blade service. FYI.

luna_skater
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
i just can't imagine that they would actually make LOWER level blades with a 9 foot radius. i don't think ANYONE makes blades with a 9 foot. i feel like it must be a mistake.

Gam lists two rockers for most of their blades: primary and complex. The blades I'm on have an 8.5' primary rocker and a 10' complex rocker. I've been thinking about trying their dance blade, but it has a 9' rocker, which does seem awfully flat. (The G18, their highest blade, also had a 9' and 10'.) But when I switched from an 8' rocker to the 8.5', (Ultima synchro to Gam G10), I can't say I noticed a huge difference...