View Full Version : Getting your weight over onto the right side for jumps

AxelBaby
04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok so I know there have been a lot of threads regarding how to get legs crossed on jumps. However, I think I have a slightly different question…

I manage to get my legs crossed (well…sometimes), but I have been told that instead of rolling the right hip under (thus rotating towards the left), I swing the left leg over the right. This of course starts my momentum going the opposite way that I want it to.

I just for the life of me cannot figure out how to get onto the right side without physically almost swinging the left leg over the right.

Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Terri C
04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Why don't you do a backscratch spin before the particular jump in question?
I had the same issue with my loop jump and this is what my Secondary Coach had me do to get the weight over to the right side.

doubletoe
04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Are you talking about the axel? If not, then I can't add much (I agree with what Terri said). But if you are talking about the axel, you need to jump straight up, bringing the right leg through (leading with the right shin). When you are most of the way up, turn your right hip in quickly and straighten the right leg. Lift the left thigh a little as you straighten the right leg. Now you should find yourself backwards, with your left foot in front of your right shin. At that point, all you have to do is pull in and you will be in that perfect backspin position. To get the correct feeling for that transition to the right side, try this exercise:

- Stand about 1-2 feet in front of a bench or any other stable, raised surface that is about 1 or 2 feet high.
- Facing the bench, take off like a waltz jump, but with your right knee bent so that you are jumping up instead of out.
- Do 1/2 turn in the air, landing backward on the bench on your right foot,with your left foot in front and arms rounded in front of you. By the time you land on the bench, you should be done with your half turn so that you aren't doing any rotation on the bench. You'll be facing the direction you came from and your left foot will be in front of your right calf, just like an open backspin or loop air position.
- Once you get that exercise down, try doing the same thing on the open floor, but after you've done that first 1/2 turn and you're in the open loop position in the air, just pull in like you do on a backspin. That will give you 1 more rotation in the air.
- When doing axels on the floor, make sure you don't cross your legs at the ankle. That will make it hard to check out when you start doing them on the ice. Instead, have your left knee a little lifted so that you feel your left calf hit your right shin just below the knee when you pull in in the air. If you pay attention to your reverse spin, you'll notice that that's also the position your free leg is in there, too.

vesperholly
04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I just for the life of me cannot figure out how to get onto the right side without physically almost swinging the left leg over the right.

Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it?
Practicing RFI 3-turns would help. Instead of pulling your left foot behind on the turn, leave it in front, as if you were going to cross in front and step onto a LBI edge. That snap is what occurs in the air, and it will train you to hit the correct balance over your right side.

Watch the first move on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgKJKp4UQ4

See how the RFI 3-turn is done with the foot in front? That's what you want to do.

This should also help your backspin, as it is essentially the entrance.

Isk8NYC
04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
That's a great idea Vesperholly. Most people recommend the RBO threes, but the RFI three w/ foot in front makes a lot of sense. I'm going to play with it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

AxelBaby
04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I should have clarified a bit more...

It's actually the biggest problem on the double salchow. Though the axel too sometimes. If I do a double salchow from a standstill three turn it's fine. Any kind of speed added though and it falls apart. Maybe its just a mental confidence thing.

Everytime I think about turning the right hip in (rather than swinging the left leg around in order to get the crossed position) I just feel like it drops me right into the ice instead of getting the lift I need.

I have no trouble getting the proper amount of rotation on any doubles - it's just the wonky hip thats throwing it off.

Perhaps I just hate edge jumps...

But thanks guys! I will definitely give your recommendations a try.

vesperholly
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
I have no trouble getting the proper amount of rotation on any doubles - it's just the wonky hip thats throwing it off.
It could be more about leaning on the takeoff or free foot trajectory. Do you have a video?

kander
04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Do your shoulders stay square with your hips? From your description it sounds like you might be getting twisted up in the air.

Kevin

doubletoe
04-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I should have clarified a bit more...

It's actually the biggest problem on the double salchow. Though the axel too sometimes. If I do a double salchow from a standstill three turn it's fine. Any kind of speed added though and it falls apart. Maybe its just a mental confidence thing.

Everytime I think about turning the right hip in (rather than swinging the left leg around in order to get the crossed position) I just feel like it drops me right into the ice instead of getting the lift I need.

Perhaps I just hate edge jumps...

But thanks guys! I will definitely give your recommendations a try.

Sounds like your body position and timing on the double sal takeoff might be a little off. When you're about to take off on the double sal, you need to feel tension in the right shoulder and right leg, which should both be pointing at around 4:00 (pulled back but not all the way back). Start to bend the left knee and ankle in preparation for takeoff, and only after that should you start bringing the right arm and leg around. I got into the habit of letting them start to come around too soon and that kept me over my left hip in the air and ended up making me lose my double sal completely. I've now gone back to the single salchow and salchow-loop until I get the correct position and timing back on the takeoff. It's definitely worth it.