View Full Version : Time off

sk8parent
04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Do all skaters take time off?
When back on the ice do the skaters forget many things they have learned?

Clarice
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Define what you mean by "time off".

My daughter and I always take one day a week off, and will miss an entire week here and there if we're on vacation. Neither one of us has ever forgotten anything, although it might take a day or two to feel back to normal. We've never taken any extended time off, but many rinks close down in the summer months, and those skaters seem to manage. I don't know any highly competitive skaters who take that much time off, though, unless they have to because of injury.

sk8parent
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not very good at explaining myself am I?
Just wondering in general how much time people out there take off each year. I heard that if skaters don't get off the ice for at least 4 weeks out of the year they can burn out especially children.

twokidsskatemom
04-25-2008, 02:34 AM
I would guess this is a every skater is different answer.
My skaters take a few days off after a comp, a few days off after a test.Even when they come back after a comp, its different. More fun skating, not so serious.
That said, I dont think we have ever taken off 4 weeks unless you count her first summer when she was 4. They both want to come back after a few days, even when I want the break !I dont think we have ever even skipped a whole week, just maybe skated two days that week.They so far after 5 years have no burnout.
I think time off is fine but with a very competive skater harder to do.
8-)

Kim to the Max
04-25-2008, 06:00 AM
For me personally, my "breaks" from skating generally fall around different holidays when we don't have ice and when I need to do things for work...

I am also one who, after a test session I generally have more "fun" when I skate...because I get to work on the things that I put to the side while I focused on the test....

I will be taking a week off in May to visit a friend (I will probably skate a tiny bit to teach her daughter, but I don't really count that), and then because of work, there will be a 2 week period in August that I will not be on the ice :frus:

I think some of the "forgetting" depends on the level of the skater...for very beginners (LTS tots, and maybe basics 1, 2, 3 or so) I think they may forget some things, but once you get older and more experienced, you don't really forget things, you get really rusty....I didn't forget anything over the 9 years that I didn't really skate, just was very rusty and out of shape when I finally did get back on the ice...

sk8tmum
04-25-2008, 08:26 AM
It's also dependent on the age and intensity of the skating, and the skater. Kids should take a week off occasionally IMHO; it gives the body a chance to heal and rest, particularly if there are nagging little injuries; it also gives them a chance to relax and re-energize. Let's face it: many of us love our jobs, but, the vacation week off lets us rest, refocus, and have a mental break, and we're adults; kids equally need a break.

My guys take a week off between each "season" - fall to winter (Xmas); spring to summer; and summer to fall. We get them into the physiotherapist then for checkups, etc., and send them back in having "missed" being on the ice for a week ... it really works for them.

FlyAndCrash
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I take tons of breaks off! hehe. I only skate about twice a week, though. Last summer, I took three weeks off to go overseas and when I came back, my axel was way better than before I left! and I had just gotten off the plane the same day! Unusual for some, but I think it cured me of some bad habits. Also, there is a lack of ice in May and June at my rink, so I don't skate then for two months... Well, this year I'm going to a different rink. And there is the week around the Christmas/New Years.

Some of my spins come back wonky and slow, but I still know all the basics and my body knows what to do. And I can usually hit most of my jumps. It does take a while for my moves to get back to a decent quality though.