View Full Version : Runny Nose Syndrome

blackmanskating
04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if people are comfortable talking about this, but I am hoping for some reasonable solutions to this issue. I don't know what's going on, but I constantly have a runny nose while skating. I think it's broken. It seems like after every double jump I attempt, UFO's just come outta my nose. And don't be within 5 feet of me when I am doing a fast spin because I turn into a human sprinkler system. :oops: It's embarassing and it takes up valuable time blowing your nose every 5 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on preventative maintenance so that maybe I can reduce the frequency I have to blow my nose? Does anybody else deal with this?? Go ahead and sound off!!! :mrgreen:

BlackManSkating

Bill_S
04-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm also afflicted with this. I've discretely mentioned it before here, but I have no solution.

I stuff a paper towel into my right pocket for the UFO business, and another in my left pocket for mopping up sweat. Daintly little Kleenex tissues wouldn't last 5 minutes with me.

And I'm careful not to mix the two towels.

doubletoe
04-23-2008, 07:38 PM
There's a reason Kleenex became a sponsor of U.S. Figure Skating a few years ago, LOL! Join the world's top skaters and wear your snot slingshot with pride! 8-)

looplover
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I've thought about posting this before. Once I did a sit spin that turned into performance art. And not in a good way.8O

herniated
04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I too am afflicted with runnynoseitis! :lol: I do have many allergies though and have had sinus surgery in the past. Sorry, no solutions.

sue123
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Just the other day, we had a lecture on allergy, and our professor went on this tirade about how just about everybody and their dog has allergies, but it's not all true allergies, and cold rhinorrea is one of them. Apparently, in the cold, for some reason, you get a runny nose, but once you leave the cold, it stops. And I would assume the spinning clears it up. I don't think he mentioned anything you can do for the non-allergic causes of a runny nose, since it was an allergy lecture, but I can take a look at the FYI portion of our notes later to see if something is in there.

BuggieMom
04-23-2008, 07:45 PM
OMG! Just this past December, when my dd (10yo) was competing in our state fs championships, she was in the middle of her compulsories routine, came up out of her sit spin, and as she checked out, she very elegantly wiped her nose on her sleeve! :lol: :oops: :lol: I just crack up whenever I watch the video, and it was right in front of the judges!

She still got second. I think the nose wipe upped the degree of difficulty for her, ya think?!?!

jazzpants
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the Snotty Nose Club!!! :twisted:

I keep a bag of tissues on the side with my blade guards. Seems to help some. I should also mention that there are HUGE wastebaskets in both penalty boxes. I also sometimes put some tissues on the waistband of my jazzpants (tuck a shirt over it so I look nice and neat...) but do toss the tissue in the wastebaskets in the penalty box afterwards. (I do make a lot of 2 point shoots... :P )

Virtualsk8r
04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
:D Why do you think all those skaters wear the mini magic gloves on the ice? Perfect for wiping skate blades (hence the holes) and for performing the very well choreographed nose wipe in the middle of a program or element.......If you practice enough, you may even master the 'thumb and forefinger' wipe technique where you form the 'OK' symbol with those digits and place the nose in the hole while discretely wiping away the UFO's:)

dbny
04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm also afflicted with this. I've discretely mentioned it before here, but I have no solution.

I stuff a paper towel into my right pocket for the UFO business, and another in my left pocket for mopping up sweat. Daintly little Kleenex tissues wouldn't last 5 minutes with me.

And I'm careful not to mix the two towels.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that last line!

This is why I only wear jackets with pockets!

mikawendy
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
In the cold, my nose runs AND my eyes water. I sometimes have to wipe my eye so often it looks like I'm crying, but it's just the cold. I've had "UFO" sightings in spins before--most often the sit spin. Sometimes I try to inhale really hard through my nose before or during the spin, but sometimes that doesn't always help. :lol:

Sessy
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Flushing out the sinuses with a soda solution before skating and snotting it all out really helps though. At least that way, the nose only runs with water, not with slime.

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I forget which rink in the USA I skated in - I think it was Paramount - provided tissues attached to the exit gates, presumably for just such needs. Or to wipe blades on....

Skaters at my rink usually put a packet of tissues or even a pile of loo paper on the boards with their water-bottles and gloves.

fsk8r
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
i'm currently afflicted with skaters nose, and have to be careful to avoid the snot spin. I just make sure i've got a hankie and paper in my jacket pocket (and make sure lesson tickets go in another pocket). If I could find a solution I'd love to, but I've put it down to occupational hazard. (The whole, the nose only starts running when you go from hot to cold and the rink is generally the cold!).
i don't mind the whole nose running scenario so much, as long as my sinuses don't get gummed up, as the whole spinning thing just goes completely to pot then and scares the hell out of me as I can't cope with that level of dizziness. The last cold I had to tell the coach that she had three spins and she better pick good. I managed 4 but only because I can't actually spin doing a backspin.
But apparently she generally steps well back when the kids have runny noses as the snot spins aren't pleasant.

Isk8NYC
04-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Part of my on-ice gear is a box of tissues - anyone who needs one can take one. At some rinks where the "3 Point Shot" is a bit distant, I just move the trash pail closer to the wall. Sometimes, I've found that it stays there for a week or more!

I wash my gloves every week because I know the LTS students put their hands in their mouths, on the ice, and definitely wipe their noses. I wash both my hands and my face after I skate for the same reason. It's become obsessive: I feel uncomfortable leaving the rink without washing my hands, lol.

onlyhappyonice
04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Unless you have special biology anyone who spends enough time on the ice will get a runny nose, the cause being the blood vessels close the surface of the spin in your nose dilate in colder temps, those heats the mucus it your nose that would normally slip back into your throat until it's liquid enough to escape the nose.

As long as you're not one of the grubby kids that wipe it on the back of your gloves it's all gravy baby :lol:

Morgail
04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Always seems to happen to me on sit spins, and sometimes on jumps. When it happens in the middle of a sit spin I always wonder, should I try to catch it with my (gloved) hand, or just let it go? :lol:

blackmanskating
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this!!! LOL some of you guys' stories are hilarious. I too am forced to make that crazy decision between wiping it off on my gloves or leaving it on my face until I can get to a tissue. Either way, I'm embarrassed. :oops: And for some reason, only my axel and double salchow seem to make it fly out. Double toe, loop and flip aren't as bad. All spin except camel spin will make my nose run too. I swear I thought my nose was broken. LOL

BlackManSkating

smelltheice
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Just the other day, we had a lecture on allergy, and our professor went on this tirade about how just about everybody and their dog has allergies, but it's not all true allergies, and cold rhinorrea is one of them. Apparently, in the cold, for some reason, you get a runny nose, but once you leave the cold, it stops. And I would assume the spinning clears it up. I don't think he mentioned anything you can do for the non-allergic causes of a runny nose, since it was an allergy lecture, but I can take a look at the FYI portion of our notes later to see if something is in there.

.................................................. .........

2loop2loop
04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
That's nothing. I got a nosebleed in the middle of a sit spin once :lol:

doubletoe
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
As long as you're not one of the grubby kids that wipe it on the back of your gloves it's all gravy baby :lol:

Oops, I do that. . .:roll:

jazzpants
04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I do that on both the glove and the sleeves at times. Hey! It sure beats having it fly out while you're spinning! And besides, that's what laundry detergent and washers/dryers are for! LOL!!! :lol:

blackmanskating
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
That's nothing. I got a nosebleed in the middle of a sit spin once :lol:

That's not embarrassing. That's kinda scary. I wouldn't be as embarassing as booger juice flying out. If I got a nose bleed, my coach would've thought I really hurt myself.

BlackManSkating

2loop2loop
04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Well it was only the one time. At least now when I find it's only a runny nose I can be relieved instead of embarrassed.

Isk8NYC
04-25-2008, 05:42 PM
:frus::frus:Should not have opened this thread before dinner....:frus::frus:

blackmanskating
04-25-2008, 06:14 PM
:frus::frus:Should not have opened this thread before dinner....:frus::frus:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ROTFL That was too funny.

BlackManSkating

sk84ever&ever
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I just tell every one near by that I sweat through my nose!:lol:

mdvask8r
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Be proud of your snot rockets!! Use their length as a measure of your rate of rotation. :) ;) :)