View Full Version : Any Male Skaters Here?

indra
04-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone! I was recommended to post here from another forum. So this is cross posted from FSU and MK forums.

Are there any boardgoers here that are male figure skaters (that were/are also competitive)? The reason I ask is because I'm taking sociology 101 and I'm writing my term paper on figure skating. Our class had a stratification unit dealing with gender, race and class. I'm focusing my paper on gender. I did a presentation analyzing a primary source about Boyhood, Organized Sports and Construction of Masculinities by Michael Messner.

Anyway, the article inspired me to take a look at figure skating and see how it breaks the "rules" of organized sports for the male gender. If anyone is willing to answer some of my questions, that would be great. Please let me know and I'll PM you the questions. I promise to keep your identity anonymous and your responses will only be seen by myself and my sociology professor. I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

smelltheice
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I am a male skater from England and would be happy to answer any questions you have

TimDavidSkate
04-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Male skater <------ From NYC... Feel free to PM me

GordonSk8erBoi
04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm definitely male. Competitive? Not so much :-)

blackmanskating
04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
My Screen Name says it all. 8-) Skating in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

BlackManSkating

Bill_S
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
That's odd, I was going to start a thread with the same title for different reasons. It seemed that there were more male skaters in the old RSSISR days than now - Sling Skate, Johns (who has recently joined here), Roger, W Letendre, John Lincoln, etc.

Some of the male skaters I found here initially no longer post anymore (Casey, ...and is Lyle still around?)

I was wondering where everyone went.

At any rate, I'm a male skater but I don't compete. I have tested MIF however. I'm also a little older (a lot?) than most male skaters here. Feel free to contact me if you want.

william.schneiderATohio.edu<...be sure to replace the AT

Gareth
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Im a male skater from the UK. Im 18 and competetive. feel free to ask any questions you have

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
My husband (also UK-based). In fact, at our rink, adult males outnumber adult females, although not all of them dance, alas.

indra
04-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you for responding! I'll PM you my questions!

indra
04-23-2008, 03:36 PM
My husband (also UK-based). In fact, at our rink, adult males outnumber adult females, although not all of them dance, alas.

Should I PM you questions for your husband?

doubletoe
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
You may not have a large enough sample size to do anything with this, but it would be interesting to log which of your respondents are singles skaters, pairs skaters and ice dancers. I think the different disciplines tend to attract somewhat different types of people.

indra
04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
You may not have a large enough sample size to do anything with this, but it would be interesting to log which of your respondents are singles skaters, pairs skaters and ice dancers. I think the different disciplines tend to attract somewhat different types of people.

You bring up a really good point. I thought about it and I was told to narrow my focus down. I really would like to include male skaters from all three disciplines but I'm going to focus on singles because of the contrast it brings in relation to the Messner article in class.

onlyhappyonice
04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm a huge solid male doing figure skating in the UK, but not at a competative standard (YET! :twisted:)

rlichtefeld
04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm a 47 year old competitive adult skater in the US. I compete at both Singles and Pairs, and have been competing for 8 years.

If you are looking for elite level males, you won't find many on this site. However, I can put you in touch with a skater at my rink who medalled at Novice at US Nationals this year and is moving up to Junior. Also, his coach was a medallist at Senior level in the 90's.

Rob

silverbeetle
04-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I'm a 33 yo male ice dancer. Competed championship this year at AN. it was a blast. If you'd like to ask some questions, feel free to pm me.

silverbeetle

indra
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm a 47 year old competitive adult skater in the US. I compete at both Singles and Pairs, and have been competing for 8 years.

If you are looking for elite level males, you won't find many on this site. However, I can put you in touch with a skater at my rink who medalled at Novice at US Nationals this year and is moving up to Junior. Also, his coach was a medallist at Senior level in the 90's.

Rob

It doesn't have to been elite level. Any level is fine really. Thanks!

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Should I PM you questions for your husband?

Feel free, but I warn you, he's in his late 50s and although technically he's both British and French champion - this is at the lowest level and in the oldest age group, so doesn't mean much!

ETA I should say that we are in the United Kingdom, and that may skew your sample somewhat, as I think the perception of male figure skating here is very different to what it is in the USA. Nor did he skate as a child.

indra
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Feel free, but I warn you, he's in his late 50s and although technically he's both British and French champion - this is at the lowest level and in the oldest age group, so doesn't mean much!

ETA I should say that we are in the United Kingdom, and that may skew your sample somewhat, as I think the perception of male figure skating here is very different to what it is in the USA. Nor did he skate as a child.

That's okay. Unfortunately, it might but I'll take the risk and I'll ask my professor about it when I get back from break. Thank you!

sk8parent
04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a 10 year old boy soon to be competitive...be happy to answer any ??? but maybe he's to young.

indra
04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a 10 year old boy soon to be competitive...be happy to answer any ??? but maybe he's to young.

I think it'll be okay. He doesn't have to answer questions that doesn't apply. Thank you!

Figureskates
04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I am a 62 year old male but I do mostly figures.

altamaleskater
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm a male figure skater (age 37) from Alberta and would be happy to answer any questions you have.