View Full Version : ISI Eligibility Question

deannathegeek
04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Hopefully someone can answer this for me. My older daughter wants to compete in an ISI competition when she comes down this summer, but the deadline is May 23rd. She won't be here until June 12th. She hasn't passed any tests yet, and wants to skate at the pre-alpha level (which is the lowest). The closest rink to her dad's house is almost 50 miles away, and her dad doesn't want to take her that far to take a skating test.

My question is this-can a skater participate in a compeition at the lowest level if they've never taken a test?

Isk8NYC
04-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Does she actually skate? Generally, ISI competition levels are determined by highest test PASSED.
Most competitions require tests to be registered with the ISI a month before the competition date.
She'll have less than 2 weeks to put together a program - are you going to spend every day at the rink letting her practice her program?

First, she'll need to become a member of the ISI.

Second, get a copy of the competition packet and read through it carefully.
Some competitions offer events that don't require tests, other competitions do not.

You can email the competition host and ask other questions after you've read through the packet.

Is there a skating day camp offered during the time she'll be visiting? She might benefit more from that than the competition.

Skittl1321
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't have a rulebook with me, but heres my thoughts:
a) the competition chair can usually waive a rule for their competition, so talk directly to them.

1) it might not matter because its pre-alpha, and I think technically you can always skate up a level from what you've passed (ie, the level you are currently in) Ask the competition chair if it's okay for a "no test" to skate up to pre-alpha.

2) The ISI competition I'm about to compete in required that tests be registered before competing. Most skaters just turned them in with their application and the competition chair filed all the tests. So- since it's pre-alpha, and it's pretty likely she'll pass it, could you talk to the test chair and ask them if you can file the application and then she will take and register the test with ISI before the date of the competition? Just know that if the test MUST be passed there is always the chance that you might lose the competition fees if she doesn't pass them (which if she's had any lessons before she should- but the backwards swizzles can be tough).

Isk8NYC
04-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks Skittl - I was too lazy to get my rulebook out, lol.

Skittl1321
04-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks Skittl - I was too lazy to get my rulebook out, lol.

Well me too :) We typed essentially the same advice at the same time: Read the packet, talk to the competition chair.

From working with the competition director at the ISI competition at my rink the main thing I've learned is "the chair can waive rules if needed".

Isk8NYC
04-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I misread - I thought your post said you used the rulebook. lol

I NEED MORE COFFEE !!! LOL