View Full Version : program question

skater333
04-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I'm a male skater, with a rather odd question about an upcoming competition. I normally wear my hair short, but my coach recommended that I grow my hair longer, down to my shoulders, saying it would better integrate into the performance (I'm doing a passion of the christ themed program). Anyway, I've been letting my hair grow out for a long while now, and I'm thinking of getting it cut (competition is in 2 weeks) because having such long hair annoys me. Should I wait it out or just get it cut?

Skittl1321
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm a female skater, and pretty low level- so perhaps my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt but:

I would cut it. If you aren't comfortable with your hair it's going to bug you while you skate. Not to mention, most skaters don't match their hair to their program unless they are going all out for a spotlight routine.

daisies
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I'd get it cut. The most important thing is that you are comfortable. I doubt anyone is going to see your program and say, "That would have been so much better if he had long hair"!

singerskates
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
You could get your hair cut but for the day of the competition have a hair weave done or get a wig.

Or just tough it out until after the competiton and then run straight to the barber. LOL

mikawendy
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I guess the question is, does the long hair bother you on ice/distract you/affect your skating negatively? If so, then I'd cut it, so as not to affect your overall performance. But if it only bothers you when you're off the ice or not skating your program, then maybe tough it out until after the competition? After all, you've put up with it so far.

doubletoe
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
As someone who has kept my hair longer than I like just for skating, I'm going to agree with Mikawendy. It's just 2 more weeks, and besides, don't all artists suffer for their art? :lol:

sk8tmum
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, if you were female, your coach would likely be bugging you about the issue of LEAVING YOUR HAIR DOWN BECAUSE IT LOOKS MESSY - so YOU HAD BETTER SECURE IT BACK OFF YOUR FACE IN A NEAT AND TIDY LACQUERED BUN.

But, on a side note: if you've had it longer, will it show a tan line around the edges if you get it cropped short? If it does, then, you're either risking looking odd, or having to wear fake tan.

just a thought.

skater333
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just wait it out. My coach said it would really give the program that "finishing touch". It's not too much longer until the competition anyway, but do you think having longer hair will really make much of a difference?

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just wait it out. My coach said it would really give the program that "finishing touch". It's not too much longer until the competition anyway, but do you think having longer hair will really make much of a difference?
It can make a difference to your overall presentation, certainly. Not much of a one, but it's the overall "package" that counts. It may well raise your second mark by a point or two - and you never know, that just might make all the difference....

Sessy
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
wait it out but make sure its not annoying you while you skate.

Skate@Delaware
04-25-2008, 07:34 PM
You want to make sure it doesn't blow around in your face...not only is that annoying to see that but it's a bit of a visibility hazard

personally, neat hair looks nicer-your overall costume will present better than hair-you could style your hair instead. Just my 2 cents