View Full Version : Kettler

manduh
04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Anyone know what the 8 am Wednesday public session at Kettler is like? I've been thinking of going, but I feel like it will take so long to drive there it won't even be worth it.

Scarlett
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I've never skated the publics there but they run freestyles all the time that are usually fairly empty.

Isk8NYC
04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Unless schools are out, morning publics are usually pretty empty.

Query
04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
If you mean Kettler near DC, and are near a Metro station, take it. Probably faster, maybe cheaper, gas costing what it does. (Metro gets crowded. Can you get up earlier?)

Directions are here:

http://www.kettlercapitalsiceplex.com/images/KCI%20Directions%20.pdf

Forget the outdoor route; it's very confusing and none of the outdoor elevators near there work.

Here is list of DC area rinks - maybe one is closer - Click on "Overall Map", drag it to center on your area, and click on the + button to zoom in.

www.geocities.com/grunes/dcicerinks.html

manduh
04-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Suprisingly, it's a lot faster of a drive (I shop at the mall)....it's a 50 minute metro ride, which makes it 100% pointless bc I wouldn't get back to my car until after 10, so I'd have to pay for parking. And Fairfax and Mt Vernon are a lot closer, which is why they're the ones I go to. I just thought I'd give Kettler a try, too. Thanks, though :)

MusicSkateFan
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
If you like ISI you will love KCI. If you actually want to skate a freestyle session, doing moves, working on ice coverage, you know, real skating....KCI might not be the place for you! I can only skate there at 6am when it is empty. The 6am sessions have a few regulars(mostly adults). Any other time of day...dont plan on getting too much accomplished!

momsk8er
04-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Agree that this rink is crowded for skating after school gets out. But if you want nice empty sessions, skate there early morning or during the day until about 2. I think of it as crowded during the day when 5 skaters are on the ice. The public sessions are more popular than the freestyle sessions, although now that it is spring, they are getting less full.