View Full Version : parabolics?

Mel On Ice
04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Does anyone have parabolics? I'm shopping for blades and wondering about performance differences between them and the regular blades.

techskater
04-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I do and I love mine. Turns and spins are better.

flying~camel
04-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm seriously thinking about getting Vision Parabolics when I get my new blades this summer.

DaisySkate♥
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I Have Parabolic Gold Seal, They Work Well For Edges And Spins But Jumps Took A Little While To Get Used To With The Quick Takeoff!

I Would Recommend Them But They Take A Bit Of Getting Used To.

Mel On Ice
04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
considering what I have been skating on (no rocker), standard blades are going to take some getting used to anyway!

I'm doin' it!

doubletoe
04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I had just about decided to get Parabolics, but had second thoughts after my blade guy put a regular blade next to a Parabolic blade and had me look at them and feel them both from front to back. To my surprise, I was unable to detect any difference whatsoever, other than that one blade had "Parabolic" etched on the side of the blade. He argued that if you can't even detect a difference in width when looking at/feeling the whole length of the blade, how are your edges going to benefit from it, particularly when only an inch or two of the blade actually has contact with the ice and you're almost always either toward the front or the back of the blade? Then he showed me two blades with the same rocker size (I think they were Pattern 99 and Gold Seal) but different rocker shape, and demonstrated how dramatically the rocker shape can affect axel takeoff angle/timing/technique and the overall balance of the blade. If I had questions when I walked in, I had even more questions when I walked out. . . so I just stuck with the blades I had! :??

SkatingOnClouds
04-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Then he showed me two blades with the same rocker size (I think they were Pattern 99 and Gold Seal) but different rocker shape, and demonstrated how dramatically the rocker shape can affect axel takeoff angle/timing/technique and the overall balance of the blade. If I had questions when I walked in, I had even more questions when I walked out. . . so I just stuck with the blades I had! :??

So, what do you have?

Mel On Ice
04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
I ordered the MK Pro parabolics and custom SP Teris from Mr. Edge yesterday. I'm officially poor!

doubletoe
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
So, what do you have?

I have MK Gold Stars. The are the same rocker radius and basic shape as the MK Professional, but they are side-honed and have a slightly bigger toepick. I'm not sure why, but I remember noticing that they felt faster than the Pros.

I ordered the MK Pro parabolics and custom SP Teris from Mr. Edge yesterday. I'm officially poor!

Congratulations!! How exciting! BTW, what has Mr. Edge's experience with the Parabolics been? Do his customers who have them seem to like them? Is he pro-Parabolic or sort of indifferent?

Mel On Ice
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
cautiously neutral. Those who have them love them, but he acknowledges it could be that they were skating on blades way past thier prime and anything would be an improvement.