View Full Version : Coaches Room or Dressing Room?

slusher
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
If you are a skater who also is a coach, which dressing room do you use? I notice that the coaches who no longer skate use the coaching room exclusively, but the skaters who coach are using the skaters room.

Because I do both, I don't fit in either so lately I've been putting on my skates in the hockey bench.

edited: oops forgot to add the option of "none of the above", not good with polls. Oh never mind the poll, just discuss. ;-)

Skate@Delaware
04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
dressing room? don't I wish!!! we can use the locker rooms but, well, you know 8O

we usually use the bathrooms (handicap stall). Or arrive mostly dressed and dress in the hallway. I'm hoping things change with the new management (we don't have a coaches room or a skaters room). There is a ref's room, and 4 hockey locker rooms.

Bill_S
04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
'Tis the men's room for me. Being the lone male figure skater here, I usually have it to myself.

miraclegro
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
That's hilarious! Our rink is so not normal that all we have is hockey skaters locker rooms. Everyone else changes in the bathroom!

Skittl1321
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
We don't have dressing rooms, but we do have a coaching room. If it is a day I am there coaching, I will get my skates on in there. If it's a day I'm not coaching (synchro) I put my skates on at the benches. If it's a day I'm not coaching but it's really crowded (public skate) and I'm worried about my stuff being taken, I also keep it in the coaches room, which doesn't lock but is less out in the open at least.

Rusty Blades
04-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I am not a coach but always use the coaches room. Age has it's privileges .... besides, the coaches room is quieter and the conversations are a little more "my speed" :mrgreen:

Kay
04-20-2008, 07:59 PM
In situations like that, it's really your decision and what you feel comfortable with. It doesn't always happen too too often, so you get to set the precedent!

Personally, I would use the coaches room on days when I am coaching, and the skaters dressing rooms when I was skating. That way on days when you coach, you're not lacing up with your students, and it kind of sets a professional boundary, but when you're skating, you're still with all of your friends.

blue111moon
04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
We all use the lobby. The locker rooms are usually filled with hockey players and even when they're empty, they smell like hockey players.

slusher
04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
There's this unwritten rule that if you're a coach but if you're there to skate that you use the skaters dressing room. No matter how old you are, if you're here to skate you don't go in the coaches room. That's okay, but there's also a rule that coaches don't go in the skaters dressing room (we might molest them or something like that).

So generally, until you've officially hung up your skater skates, it's the bathroom or the lobby. I change in the bathroom and put my skates on at rinkside so that I can leave my things in the hockey benches.

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Our changing-rooms are locked out of service except during competitions (and, I imagine, hockey matches). If everybody used the coaches' rooms there wouldn't be any room for the coaches, so most people either change at rinkside, in the loos, or, increasingly in the café, which isn't open at that time of day but is unlocked and warm! If I need to change, I usually do so in the caff, and check my hair in either the pros' room or the loo.

jskater49
04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
We have a club room with lockers for putting on your skates and fixing your hair but it's for all sexes, you you use the bathroom or takes your chances if you need to change. ANd it's for all club members, skaters or coaches.

For competitions you are supposed to use the locker rooms but the high level skaters and adults use the club room and nobody stops us.

j