View Full Version : Three jumps and Cherry flips?

jcookie1982
04-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I see a lot of posters talking about three jumps and cherry flips, but I never had to learn them. Are these the same as waltz jumps and half flips maybe?

vesperholly
04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
A three jump is three turn, jumped. Example: RFO takeoff, 1/2 revolution, RBI landing.

A cherry flip is a toe loop.

jcookie1982
04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
ok, thanks

dbny
04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
A three jump is three turn, jumped. Example: RFO takeoff, 1/2 revolution, RBI landing.

A cherry flip is a toe loop.

IIRC, "three jump" is Britspeak for waltz jump. "Cherry flip" is also from across the pond.

fsk8r
04-19-2008, 01:23 AM
IIRC, "three jump" is Britspeak for waltz jump. "Cherry flip" is also from across the pond.

That's right, we're all taught three jumps (waltz jumps) and cherry flips (toe loops) over here, unless you get a coach who has taught abroad when we suddenly get toe loops and confusion as a lot of the lower level skaters here (in Britain) don't always know that a cherry flip is a toe loop and think it's a completely different jump.

Sessy
04-19-2008, 05:46 AM
The Belgians call it a cherry flip and the dutch call it a spot, and call the waltz jump/3-jump a cadet..

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2008, 06:00 AM

Not in the UK it's not - here, a 3-jump is what you would call a waltz jump.

There are various other differences in terminology, as you would expect - a lunge is a drag, for instance, and some of the older coaches speak of a parallel spin rather than a camel spin, although I hear "camel" used much more these days. Ditto "toe loop" rather than "cherry flip", although oddly, we've always talked about double toe loops and flying camels!

I can't think of anything else, off-hand - edge pulls or power pulls tend to be called one-footed slaloms.

And our dance music, for the non-ISU dances, is different to yours, which can lead to problems at the Mountain Cup when the GB dancers have trained their Swing Dance to the Rocker Foxtrot music and the US dancers have trained to music that is 8 bpm slower.....

dbny
04-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Not in the UK it's not - here, a 3-jump is what you would call a waltz jump.

I've never heard the term "three jump" in the US except when someone was talking about differences in terminology. If a three turn is jumped, it's called a "jumped three", and not done as a jump, but a three turn variant.

2loop2loop
04-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd love to know where the name "cherry flip" came from. I very rarely hear it any more, but when I started all the coaches called it a cherry, and even double/triple cherry was usual as I recall. On the other hand, British skaters never call three jumps "waltz jumps". Parallel spin all but seems to have died out in favour of camel.

I guess another difference is that we don't seem to name all the "pseudo" jumps in the way the Americans do. Mazurkas, bell jumps, ballet jumps etc aren't given those names here. Also, half flips, half lutzes etc don't seem to be regarded as elements in their own right in the way they seem to be in the US, just as stepping stones to the actual jump.

looplover
04-19-2008, 10:08 AM
If a three turn is jumped, it's called a "jumped three", and not done as a jump, but a three turn variant.

Is that considered a good or bad thing?

I keep doing it by accident when I do my 3-turn before my flip (attempt).

It feels like a bad thing, but if it's a legit variant maybe I should leave it? :lol:

Rusty Blades
04-19-2008, 10:32 AM
In Canada, RFO - 1/2 rev - RBI is a Three Jump, RFO - 1/2 Rev - LBO is a Waltz jump

(Skate Canada Technical Handbook, Section 9, page TD-2)

doubletoe
04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Is that considered a good or bad thing?

I keep doing it by accident when I do my 3-turn before my flip (attempt).

It feels like a bad thing, but if it's a legit variant maybe I should leave it? :lol:

I think the deciding factor is whether or not it looks like you "meant to do that" LOL!

fsk8r
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
The other terminology which is different is the US "pumps", they're what we in Britain have as half lemons. That really confused me when I started doing synchro over there.

dbny
04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
In Canada, RFO - 1/2 rev - RBI is a Three Jump, RFO - 1/2 Rev - LBO is a Waltz jump

(Skate Canada Technical Handbook, Section 9, page TD-2)

Interesting. Thanks, that's one I hadn't heard of.

The other terminology which is different is the US "pumps", they're what we in Britain have as half lemons. That really confused me when I started doing synchro over there.

Actually, the full name is "half swizzle pumps" or "half swizzles", which makes sense when you consider that US "swizzles" = UK "lemons"

BatikatII
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Interesting. Thanks, that's one I hadn't heard of.

Actually, the full name is "half swizzle pumps" or "half swizzles", which makes sense when you consider that US "swizzles" = UK "lemons"

I'm in UK and my coaches always called them swizzles and half swizzles.

The term 3 jump when I use it is the exact equivalent of a waltz jump and in fact I obviously spend too much time on these forums as I find myself calling them waltz jumps over here and everyone looks at me funny!:lol:

sk8_4fun
04-19-2008, 02:47 PM
After spending so much time on here while I was learning I frequently get the US:D/UK terms muddled. Thankfully my coach spent a long time Coaching in the U.S. and just laughs when I start talking lunges and waltz jumps

Sessy
04-20-2008, 12:57 PM
so what are lunges in english (versus american english) ?

Helen88
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm in UK and my coaches always called them swizzles and half swizzles.

The term 3 jump when I use it is the exact equivalent of a waltz jump and in fact I obviously spend too much time on these forums as I find myself calling them waltz jumps over here and everyone looks at me funny!:lol:

I do that!! I keep calling them waltz-jumps and then my coach calls the 3-jumps and looks at me weird.

so what are lunges in english (versus american english) ?

The only other term I know for them is 'drags'.