View Full Version : Non-skaters watching you skate (grr)

looplover
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
See, I should have known better. I didn't want any of my coworkers at my competition, and really, I didn't want to show them the video either. Because I'm not an olympian, I'm a 40-year-old adult bronze skater who is just past test level, but not quite competition level in technical difficulty (no lutz).

Coworker begged and begged so I sent her the link to the video, knowing it was probably a mistake.

Well, she didn't say anything nasty, exactly...it was a more of a "how cute, that was fun to watch..." and a look of total disappointment.

I'd like to see her get out there and do a loop jump!!!!!! :evil:

I never learn....

/end rant

Debbie S
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
When people find out I skate, they invariably ask whether I compete, or whether I can do X or Y element. I always say to them that I look nothing like anything they've seen on TV - lol. And I don't really take videos of myself skating - well, I buy the video from the official videographers, but I don't post it online. ;)

A few weeks ago, I was practicing at a rink complex that has a rink on one side and an indoor turf field (designed to be used for soccer and lacrosse rec leagues) on the other. Apparently, some kids were either finished with their soccer game or taking a break, b/c I noticed a group of them (mostly girls but a few boys) gathered at the end of the rink near the lobby door. I was coming down the ice doing the FI-BO 3's (Silver MIF) and when I got to their end, on the last BO turn, I ended up very close to the boards where they were standing (but thankfully didn't hit the wall like I did once before) and as I turned, I ended up looking straight at them, and they applauded. LOL!! (actually, they probably don't know just how much of an accomplishment it is to finally get my turns on axis :oops: :lol:)

Skittl1321
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I've recieved nothing but support from non-skaters when I tell them I skate, but like Debbie, I prepare them for my skating by letting them know it is NOTHING like what it looks like on TV. When I tell them I get a jump and am thrilled, and then they want to come watch- I make sure to tell them my jump is only a few inches high. But it's hard to do! Most can either barely stand up on skates, or feel accomplished by going backwards, so they are still pretty impressed.

I have found that most people are VERY impressed by our synchro team. We routinely get small amounts of applause from passerbys and I was chased down by one of the regular loiterers at the mall because he recognized me as one of those 'girls who does that group skating thing'- and he told me they come in on Wed. to watch us, instead of gathering outside. That was kind of cool. We have fans.

I've been having knee problems and my NP (who is my primary care) has been very supportive that skating is important to me. When she was thinking I might need surgery (thankfully, I don't) she even asked me when my season would be over, so that the schedule would work the best. I explained to her that skating is important to me, but I'm not enough of an athlete that the "season" would affect when I could have surgery. Still I really appreciated that she took me seriously when I told her I skated.

looplover
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
That's hilarious about those kids! :mrgreen:

Yup I always tell them too - people are usually supportive and in-person is always better than competition video (especially this one) (which I have on google video but is unsearchable!).

I think this particular person was a bad choice perhaps, she can be difficult anyway, but now NOBODY at work is seeing this video! :twisted:

jazzpants
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I count myself fortunately. My in-laws were very support of my skating from the beginning and this was years ago. (I don't think they've seen my recent videos yet either.)

I think I only had one coworker watched it. He's male... he doesn't *get* this stuff. :lol: I just plead it to ignorance and moved on. I don't think I'll be showing it to the rest of my coworker. Only person that has a clue is my boss. (He's a active guy... and has visited Lake Placid before!)

I will add though my boss and a few of my coworkers knows one of my fellow rink mates!!! LOL!!! In fact, my boss tipped me in on what to throw to her on the ice after her program in lieu of stuffed animals. She loved it!!! Tee hee hee... :P

My non-skating husband is learning about skating and what I go thru from my primary coach... saves me a lot in therapy bills!!! :lol: :twisted: (BTW: techskater... you were right! Hubby would have gotten in the way... probably a good thing he didn't go! I think the last minute changes to my schedule and when to come back to the hotel room is enough to drive him batty, never mind QT with him!!! LOL!!!)

Debbie S
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
That's hilarious about those kids! :mrgreen:Actually, it was only a couple of them, but it was cute. I was thinking that if they thought my 3-turns were worth applauding, they should watch them being done correctly - lol. But they seemed very intrigued by the skating.

On another note, my club had a test session at this rink that ended right before a public session. The people who arrived for the public were looking in the windows and asking what was going on. A skating parent told them what it was and someone said "Oh, like a competition!" Most seemed interested, but there were a few who kept trying to get in, b/c they were annoyed at having to wait (a skating dad stood guard at the door - lol) and earlier, a few random people who were probably there for soccer or something on the other side, walked in to watch, and one of them (a father with a young son) made a call on his cell and talked loudly (well, loudly when you consider that the rink was completely quiet). One of the skating moms went over to quiet him down, explaining that it was testing, it was very important, etc, and the guy seemed rather oblivious to it, but he did start moving, slowly, toward the door as he continued to talk. :roll: The skating mom opened the door and shooed him out.

Sessy
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Laypeople are usually more impressed with spins than with any jumps we can do. Also a fast scratch spin fascinates them far more than a sit spin, and a biellmann spiral more than, say, a camel spin. To them the camel pose is like "Ohh I can do that" (same for normal spiral, cuz they don't see where they're holding their free leg so they think it's like way up in the sky) and as far as the scratch spin fascination is concerned it's like "ohh glittery" but only more like "ohh blurry!". And any flexibility you have and they don't will impress gravely.
One fun thing I love about empty public sessions is how I can do a lap of XO'vers very fast and then get into a biellmann spiral and do like the full length, curve into the edge and then another third of the ice rink or so in that position, just like gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide it's so fun, and people love to watch that and come ask how I got the balance to do it. I usually tell them the balance isn't so much the problem, the flexibility takes all the work.
Oh yeah the ability to dislocate your thumb and then put it back will impress too (especially kids), but probably not "as a skater" so if you're just that flexible due to your natural bone structure, omit that part ;)

Actually a pretty cool skill to have is the ability to spin on the floor, and do it well. Also if you have a spinner around, and you can do a sit spin on it - let them try. It's very, very funny to watch.
People invariably try to spin on the spinner or on the floor and realise just how hard it is, but the majority also has a fun time trying (must be some latent unlived childhood issues I think, LOL!) and also realise why you think skating is such great fun.

BTW if you want to keep kids occupied for an hour, give them a spinner and an empty space (patch of grass is good) so they can't smack into anything too dangerous.

When you take people out to skate, don't turn them into spectators, let them try things, that way they seem to invariably want more afterwards, too ;) At least this has been the case with all my friends. Except BF, but I think that's got to do with his sourness about having lost most of his hockey skills in the past years of non-skating.

quarkiki2
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah -- it's really interesting skating in a mall, LOL! I don't pay attention too much to the people out there, but every now and then I'll notice someone really peering in at what I'm doing and it is usually because they're trying to figure out if it really is me on the ice because they know me from other aspects of my life. Or I'll have friends who happen to be down at the rink on Wed night choose to take a coffee break or dinner break by the rink to watch the team skate.

I think the team gets so much notice because we look so different practicing than a public skate or freestyle.

I always preface any video watching with, "Now, remember, I'm a crazy fat lady on skates who doesn't like to turn, jump or spin..."

I've never seen video of just me skating, so that will likely be quite the eye opening experience...

Sessy
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I've never seen video of just me skating, so that will likely be quite the eye opening experience...

First you go histeric and never wanna skate again. Then you don't watch the video for a few months. Then you watch again, thinking, it can't be so bad, and after watching it, you think, yes it is, and you wanna burn the tape. Then a while later you watch the video again and think, "hey I wasn't so bad back then! but it's a good thing I can do so much more than back then, I bet I don't look so ridiculous anymore!" and you go out and make another video of yourself. After which the cycle begins anew. :mrgreen:
After a while, you get used to it though.

Skittl1321
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Are you planning on taping your freeskate? I was going to ask you if you'd tape mine.

And yeah- it is really depressing watching yourself skate. What is in my mind is NEVER what shows up on the video. But what's nice about a video, is if you retape the same elements a few months later, they are almost always way better!

Rusty Blades
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, people's reactions are strange.

Most of my coworkers know I skate and compete. When I came back with a 4th place finish in my first Nationals last year and a Bronze this year, the first question they ask is "How many were in your group?" I tell them it is an open competition so everyone who wants to compete was there :twisted:

I skate at a "competitive training centre" with Star Skaters and competitive skaters (all DECADES younger than me) and when I did my first complete program run-through last year, the young women all applauded. (It wasn't good, believe me!)

Skaters "get it", non-skaters haven't got a clue. ;)

skaternum
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I *never* let coworkers or non-skating friends watch my skating videos. (Except my "Crazy" interp video on youtube, because they're always impressed that I can skate in a straightjacket.) All they know about skating is what they see on TV, and I don't look anything like Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen, so they're invariably dissapointed. I haven't shown a video to a non-skater in years.

AdultPairSkater
04-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi all :)

I NEVER share my skating with non-skaters other than my partner at home, and even then I do not subject him to my foibles.

I tell people watching me would be equivalent to hearing karaoke in a bar, and that seems to shut them up when it comes to asking for video.

Pictures, yes, those I share, but video, nope....

they just don't get it.

Cheers!

Larry

doubletoe
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Laypeople are usually more impressed with spins than with any jumps we can do. Also a fast scratch spin fascinates them far more than a sit spin, and a biellmann spiral more than, say, a camel spin. To them the camel pose is like "Ohh I can do that" (same for normal spiral, cuz they don't see where they're holding their free leg so they think it's like way up in the sky) and as far as the scratch spin fascination is concerned it's like "ohh glittery" but only more like "ohh blurry!". And any flexibility you have and they don't will impress gravely.

When you take people out to skate, don't turn them into spectators, let them try things, that way they seem to invariably want more afterwards, too ;) At least this has been the case with all my friends. Except BF, but I think that's got to do with his sourness about having lost most of his hockey skills in the past years of non-skating.

That is all so true! I think the problem is that they don't realize this stuff is just as hard for us as it is for them. That's why the best way to impress a friend/family member/co-worker is to bring that person to a public session with you. MAJOR perspective! They will think you're amazing.

quarkiki2
04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Jessi -- I was actually going to bring my camera down and ask if your DH would tape me, LOL! My DH would do it, but he's loading in an opera.

I have the sneaking suspiscion that we're going to be skating pretty close to me right before you... I'm assuming that they'll go FS 1, 2, then 3. I have no issue taping you because I'll be done, but you might not want to tape me right before you skate. Or maybe you do? Harder to be nervous if you're doing something. Who knows. I figured that if I brought my camera, there would be someone down there I know who could tape. I'd prefer someone sitting on the same side as the judges as I really don't need to see 1.5 minutes of me bum...

Ice Dancer
04-17-2008, 01:56 PM
First you go histeric and never wanna skate again. Then you don't watch the video for a few months. Then you watch again, thinking, it can't be so bad, and after watching it, you think, yes it is, and you wanna burn the tape. Then a while later you watch the video again and think, "hey I wasn't so bad back then! but it's a good thing I can do so much more than back then, I bet I don't look so ridiculous anymore!" and you go out and make another video of yourself. After which the cycle begins anew. :mrgreen:
After a while, you get used to it though.

That actually made me burst out laughing!!

One of my best friends is always totally impressed when I take her along, she is a real confidence booster! My bf is awful, he has always said unuseful comments. The only time he was rink side he spent more time reading the paper and missed all the good bits :frus:

My work colleagues are really impressed by it, although they have never seen me skate, only photos. One lady I work with in another office begged me to take photos along one time. She wants to see a video, but I am not sure yet.

looplover
04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
First you go histeric and never wanna skate again. Then you don't watch the video for a few months. Then you watch again, thinking, it can't be so bad, and after watching it, you think, yes it is, and you wanna burn the tape.

HA! So funny....I videotaped and watched myself the day before the competition, can you believe it? As soon as I saw it I thought, WHAT HAVE I DONE??? LOL.

onlyhappyonice
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm nowhere near competition standard and being a guy wearing figure skates trying out figure skating moves in public sessions havn't yet earned me any strange looks or comments that I'm aware of and would have no problems with any friends or family watching me :)

I seem to be missing the part of my brain that co-ordinates embarrasment or shyness :lol:

sk8_4fun
04-17-2008, 02:41 PM
That is all so true! I think the problem is that they don't realize this stuff is just as hard for us as it is for them. That's why the best way to impress a friend/family member/co-worker is to bring that person to a public session with you. MAJOR perspective! They will think you're amazing.

Hmmmm, I heartily recommended that a work colleague should give it a go. I told her she's have so much fun. She knocked herself out on the ice and ended up in A&E. When she returned to work she told me how much respect she had for what I did.

Skate@Delaware
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
After my club's exhibition skate, I was at work and one of my co-workers commented that he was there and saw me skate...um yeah. He was there to watch one of the younger skaters (she babysits his kids).

I really didn't know what to say to that. Yeah, it was this year's "chair" routine too...:?:...he didn't say good, bad, whatever. I did NOT ask him how he liked it, tho.

Zoomana
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
My ice dancing is pitiful. I was taped without my knowledge, given the tape, and wanted to scream. My husband is actually pretty good on it for him (he's a total beginner, a good edge is an accomplishment for him and he tries and has natural talent), but I look like a bull, errrrr freeskater, in a china shop. So I can imagine a non-skater thinking we look bad, but it's really difficult!

Yet my freeskating is pretty good, I have every jump but the axel (and that's rotated almost but not landed). However, my father saw me doing a pancake spin on tape (I'm 40 and started as an adult!) and said, "Is that in slow motion?" He wasn't kidding. Honestly, it's not super speedy, but I'm all the way down, butt near the ice, nicely centered. My only grody spin is the hideous layback, I really have no bend in my back, and the dead foot doesn't help.

I agree with everyone else, anyone who is saying this and that, you go do it! My challenge has never been fear of falling, but lack of understanding how to go about it and fix it!

My "least" favorite question at the club from new members is "which one is yours" (i.e., child out there on the ice), and I reply, I am the skater, and they look dumbfounded. I know they're not being mean, but adult skaters are really rare at my rink, and I don't compete, so a lot of them don't know and assume I'm a parent (I only have fur kids, by choice).

I respect anyone who is willing to take a chance and try, no matter the age. It's tough to put yourself out there, whether it's lessons, tests, or competing, it's a tough sport!

herniated
04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm on the same page as most of you. I rarely show my videos to non-skaters. But... recently my physical therapist asked to see one. We had developed a relationship so I thought it would be OK. She asked if she could watch it after they closed. Which meant I would have to leave it. Which probably meant that she and everyone else that worked in the office watched it after closing. Again, I was OK with this.

So, I went in for my next appointment that week and the ladies at the desk didn't say anything to me. I figured maybe they didn't see it. Then I see my PT and she gives me back the DVD saying, 'It was lovely' or very 'nice'. Something that lead me to believe she expected more. ANNNDDDD, everyone else in the office saw it too. Apparently, from thier lack of comments they thought I sucked. Never again. Now she wants an 8x10 picture of me!! Forget it. Just like you guys my pics do look better that the DVD's but she's not getting one.

I was proud of the performance I showed her too. I had worked hard to get to the Silver level and thought it was pretty good. Hmmpf.

mamaskate
04-18-2008, 08:03 PM
One of the teachers at my daughter's school said, "You skate? Do you do triple axels?"

teresa
04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm very careful who I tell that I skate. Some folks really are interested and others. . . Well, you can tell they think it's a little strange. I guess most folks don't think of skating as an adult sport. One of my most common questions is, "Why?"

My biggest funnies.

I was picking my child up from school, office. And the secretary asked, "Are you the mom who ice skates?!" The way she said it I felt like I was from Mars or something. She also wanted to know if I was SOMEBODY. I was a little annoyed and told her I was, "ME!" =-)

My sister-in-law has been known to introduce me, "This is my sister-in-law the LITTLE ice skater. Isn't that cuuuuute?" No, she hasn't seen me skate. I would love this "little skater" to show her a thing or two. =-)

teresa

Skittl1321
04-18-2008, 10:21 PM
One of the teachers at my daughter's school said, "You skate? Do you do triple axels?"

I've heard this a few times too- it just really shows how woefully unaware of skating people are. I usually just laugh and tell them I can do a 1/3 axel (a waltz jump!) and that only very very few of even the best female skaters can do triple axels.

Sessy
04-19-2008, 05:42 AM
And yeah- it is really depressing watching yourself skate. What is in my mind is NEVER what shows up on the video.

Actually, I've done a lot of taping of my dancing competitions and a lot of taping of my skating (monthly at least) and for my studies (law school) we've been taped a *LOT* doing presentations (to mind the body language especially) and what's in my mind is coming closer and closer to what's in reality. Which I'm thinking is a good thing. At some point your mind "learns" what it looks like when it feels a certain way. Like you know how it always seems you take up more space than you really do, with arm and leg movements? At some point your mind learns that and automatically makes the adjustment in what it "feels" like.

kayskate
04-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Nonskaters are impressed w fast skating and crossovers. They like to see backward skating. They know what that is and know how hard it is b/c they have been to public sessions and can't do it. It's hard for them to place the other skills in context b/c they have no personal exp. They have only seen champions on TV doing jumps and spins. Spins will impress them though. Once when I was a new adult skater (15+ yrs ago) I did some 2-foot spins in the center of a rink. Granted they were pretty decent 2foots spins. A whole grp of kids was amazed. Now my students see me doing MITF before the group lessons and say things like: "Hey you are pretty good." That strikes me as funny coming from basic 3 kids who cannot stroke w/o toe pushing.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
When I get comments like this or similar ones....

I just say "no, I've had to be careful of those jumps-the knees, you know ;)"

and they are like, "oh ok"

not knowing that I don't even do a double anything except a double-latte!!!!

FSWer
04-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I am not to much of an expert. But as a Learn to Skate Skater, I would think that unless a coach told on-lookers or people you know to not watch you during pratice or competition. Or unless YOU yourself expressed you'ld be nerous etc. That it would be an honor to have an audiance. It shows your becoming or are quite a talented skater.

Clarice
04-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I think there are two different groups of "non-skating" people who react in different ways when they see what adult skaters do. There's the group who tends to be disappointed or at least unimpressed because we don't look like the top skaters in shows or on television. And then there's the group that is very impressed because you can do things they can't, even if they're fairly easy things. I wish all skating parents could take at least one session of learn-to-skate classes, so they could find out how difficult even the simplest looking things can be and could have a better understanding of what their kids are trying to do out there.

As far as triples go, I just claim I keep popping mine into singles! :lol:

smelltheice
04-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I have to admit that I too am cautious about who I tell that I skate and some that I do tell assume that I mean I go to the rink with friends and hobble about in hire boots. I guess I am reluctant to tell people as you just tend to get blank looks from them or you can see that they have a pre conceived notion of whichever famous skater they have heard of and will compare them to you subconsciously. I usually wait until I know people better before I mention it to them and do get the occasional 'wow' in surprise or like I said blank looks but there is always the inevitable "can you do those spinny things n stuff?" and more recently the dancing on ice comparisons.
I think the best buzz though is when you get a kid on the ice who comes up to you and asks if you are a professional? That really is an ego boost:P

Helen88
04-20-2008, 12:56 PM

I got that the other day - 'I learnt my first proper jump the other day!' [meaning a salchow];

'Wow! Can you do triple axels?'

:frus:

LOL :lol:

cecealias
04-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I usually tell people " You have to come get on the ice with me, if you want to see me skate, and do those 'tricks'."

Most people are wussies. They won't even bother making a trip to the rink with you. Next time they talk about their golf swing, ask them if they can putt a Hole in One or if they're going to do their next tournament with Tiger Woods. I'll bet they can't, but it's all about one-upping and ego trips in the office.

IF they even dare to get on the ice with me, they usually can't manage even a forward crossover or two, and I'm skating circles around them 30 times. It's enough to keep them quiet ;)

patatty
04-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I was at a large family gathering yesterday, and my mother-in-law was gushing about my skating (she is my biggest fan and supporter). Everyone wanted to see my video from Easterns, but I wouldn't show it, for all of the reasons given above. My husband's aunt asked me if I could do a triple salchow, so I knew that I would get those disappointed looks if anyone saw it. I showed my mother-in-law the video, because she was actually there at Easterns, and she has seen me skate for a few years now, but nobody else is allowed to watch me.

doubletoe
04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Still my favorite response to the triple axel question:

"You drive a car, right? Have you won a NASCAR race yet?" :lol:

tidesong
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I show my exhibition-style/artistic programs to the non-skaters and my technical/free programs to the skaters... it usually works fine that way hehehehe

singerskates
04-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Loopoever,

I'd have her get go with you to the rink where you train during a ticket ice session or public session and rent some figure skates and ask her to do what you did in your program. Once she gets out there, she'll find that it's not so easy. And she'll change her tune and who knows maybe she'll get hooked into skating too.

kander
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Still my favorite response to the triple axel question:

"You drive a car, right? Have you won a NASCAR race yet?" :lol:

My response is usually, "Why yes, I do triple axels. How did you like it?"

kayskate
04-21-2008, 05:47 AM
My answer to the 3axel Q was:
"If I could do a 3axel, I wouldn't be working here."

Kay

looplover
04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Loopoever,

I'd have her get go with you to the rink where you train during a ticket ice session or public session and rent some figure skates and ask her to do what you did in your program. Once she gets out there, she'll find that it's not so easy. And she'll change her tune and who knows maybe she'll get hooked into skating too.

It's true! That would require me spending more time with her than necessary though :-P

My mother sent my video to my entire extended family - yikes! Oh well, that doesn't bother me as much and they will at least humor my fragile skater ego...

Isk8NYC
04-21-2008, 07:33 AM
It's true! That would require me spending more time with her than necessary though :-PROFLOL !! :lol:

BelleBway
04-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I guess I am very lucky- everyone I know, even coworkers, have been nothing but supportive and respectful of my skating.

Yesterday was the first time I had a friend/family member my age see me skate- he came to public session with me, along with one of his daughters. And even though I am not even pre-bronze yet... (damn those inside 3 turns!) he was very impressed with the quality of my skating.

However, the funny thing my mom said he told her that I did "2 crossovers and a mohawk" (I did forward power crossovers, backward power crossovers, and 5 step mohawk sequences around the rink... plus my lame attempts at 8 step mohawk... among other things like outside 3 turns, forward edges, and my attempt at a 2 foot spin)

Haven't had any videos made of my skating, but I doubt I look worse than I picture myself since I tend to be my harshest critic.

blue111moon
04-21-2008, 07:43 AM
None of my co-workers or family can stand up on skates so they think everything I do is Olympic Caliber.

Or at least that's what they tell me. :halo:

MusicSkateFan
04-21-2008, 08:08 AM
The KCI rink in Arlington, VA is bassically a part of a mall. Sometimes there are shoppers(teens) who stare and make rude gestures to freestyle skaters. Fortunately I skate there mostly at 6am so no one is around.

FrankR
04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
At work, my boss used to request that I bring in videos of myself skating to show the group at our monthly group meetings. :lol: She felt that it was good every once in a while to dedicate a little bit of time to non-business matters sort of as an ice-breaker/stress-reliever. Everyone got a turn to share a hobby or something about their personal lives with the group. All in all everyone's been pretty supportive when they've seen footage of my skating. When I've mentioned that I skate to a couple of colleagues, they've gone out and enrolled their kids in their local Learn To Skate programs. Their kids skate at seasonal rinks and so they're done with skating until next winter but my colleagues tell me that their experience was enjoyable. That's always nice to hear.

RoaringSkates
04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I've seen videos of my skating, and it's very... educational. :frus::lol: But then I (try to) remind myself that I started skating after I turned 30, so I need to cut myself a bloody break.

My husband, however, had seen me skate back a few years ago, when I was doing freestyle. He then saw me skate again four years later, after I'd started doing dance. He was well impressed with my skating improvement. And I could see by the look on his face that he meant it. I was seriously egoboosted by that. Doesn't matter if I skate as well as others, through his eyes, I've made vast improvements, and that's cool.

onlyhappyonice
04-21-2008, 09:22 AM
It's true! That would require me spending more time with her than necessary though :-P

My mother sent my video to my entire extended family - yikes! Oh well, that doesn't bother me as much and they will at least humor my fragile skater ego...

Count yourself lucky that your ability on the ice is a close match to your love for the sport

I'm a limited skater in what I can do thus far but I'm sooo in love with skating and talk about it so much if people did come to see me skate I'd struggle to reconcile my ability with my passion :frus:

Kim to the Max
04-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I actually do not have any recent videos of me skating, but have succumbed to the pressure of some of my colleagues and showed the a video of when I was about 14...I had specifically shown one of our Associate Directors because her daughter is starting to skate, and then there are some others who I felt would appreciate seeing it. I don't show many people...

But, I am now getting harassed (not so much by people at work, because they will closer to next years date, but by the folks at the rink...including Coach!) because I wasn't able to do our show this year and I pinky swore to one of the girls at our rink that I would do the show next year if I didn't have anything for work (which, already looks like our national conference is going to be that same weekend again...oops!)...and of course, if I do the show, I'm going to have to invite the folks from work 8O

Sessy
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Count yourself lucky that your ability on the ice is a close match to your love for the sport

Yeah like that happens overnight.

looplover
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm a limited skater in what I can do thus far but I'm sooo in love with skating and talk about it so much if people did come to see me skate I'd struggle to reconcile my ability with my passion :frus:

Heh...it's not even close - the way I obsess about skating I should be able to not just do triples, but be an olympian at the age of 40...:lol:

I think my video is pretty cringeworthy, especially presentation-wise. But, my family is in NJ and I'm in NC, so I always get the video so my mom can see it. Plus I learn a lot from them.

doubletoe
04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
My response is usually, "Why yes, I do triple axels. How did you like it?"

LOL! Good one. ;)

GordonSk8erBoi
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
I did my first ever competition in March (PCAS). Since I'm still a non-test skater it was a big deal for me, even though I've been skating for almost 5 years.

The local paper wound up doing an article about me so I had all kinds of people asking me about my skating. Fortunately they were all uniformly nice and supportive and even impressed, even when I told them I came in last.

skaternum
04-22-2008, 06:37 AM
The local paper wound up doing an article about me so I had all kinds of people asking me about my skating. Fortunately they were all uniformly nice and supportive and even impressed, even when I told them I came in last.
Yeah, that's how it goes. They're all supportive and impressed ... until they see you skate. Then the disappointment shows all over their faces. They can't understand why you don't look like the TV skaters. :lol:

sk8lady
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Now really...you should all be glad someone cares enough to WANT to watch you skate! I drag my son and husband in to watch me in a show (they refuse to go to competitions or tests) once a year. My immediate family (father, mother, and two sisters) have NEVER seen me skate. In fact one sister actually came to the rink with me while I took her two daughters skating and SAT IN THE LOBBY so she would not have to watch me.

Sometimes people accidentally come see me skate, like the hockey player in my women's rec group who came to our club show not knowing I was in it and came running over to me during the intermission, saying, "WOW! You look really DIFFERENT!!" (Answer: That's because I'm not wearing full hockey gear.)

Just be happy that people actually WANT to see you skate!!!

Isk8NYC
04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I can say in all honesty that my mother never saw me skate except on videotape. My DH, on the other hand, spent many hours sitting on a bench in a freezing rink (usually outdoors) watching my practices, even figures. lol He'll still do it if I ask.

(Payback, though: I've attended a lot of Eagle ceremonies and gone to tons of classic car shows.)

He's a keeper - we're celebrating 20 years of marriage tomorrow!

mikawendy
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
The first time family members saw me skate was at a competition a few years back. I skated most of my elements cleanly and well for where I was at at that time--some room for improvement, but a fun skate and not a total disaster. When I got off the ice, they didn't say much and asked me how I thought I did. I think they were not used to seeing non-elite skaters. Anyhow, I was happy with my skate that time!

ETA: Congrats, ISk8NYC!! Some friends of my parents have been married 50 years this year.

Sessy
04-23-2008, 01:21 AM

You're not the 50-somethingish lady who said she practiced the jumps at the beach, are you? Cuz if you are, that particular newspaper article didn't stay local, either.

onlyhappyonice
04-23-2008, 05:20 AM
You're not the 50-somethingish lady who said she practiced the jumps at the beach, are you? Cuz if you are, that particular newspaper article didn't stay local, either.

With the name gordon and boi(boy) in the name I should hope it's not a 50 somethingish lady :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2008, 06:24 AM

Congratulations! I hope you have a lovely day.

GordonSk8erBoi
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM

Um, no.......

doubletoe
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I can say in all honesty that my mother never saw me skate except on videotape. My DH, on the other hand, spent many hours sitting on a bench in a freezing rink (usually outdoors) watching my practices, even figures. lol He'll still do it if I ask.

(Payback, though: I've attended a lot of Eagle ceremonies and gone to tons of classic car shows.)

Freestyle session: $10
Your husband freezing his butt off to watch you: Priceless
Congratulations and happy anniversary, Mr. & Mrs. Isk8NYC! :mrgreen::bow:

Skittl1321
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Happy Anniversary Isk8NYC!

I had a coworker tell me he saw me skating yesterday. I wasn't in my dress yet (thank goodness!) so it was during the group lesson. I jokingly asked "was I impresssive" to which he, politely, replied "it appeared you were doing very complicated maneuvers slowly." I thought that was a nice way of putting it. I can't think of what he saw, but it was probably a salchow prep- spinning wouldn't have seemed complicated, and we didnt work on much else.

But this part made me laugh:

"But as a musician I know that if you can do it well slowly than you can also do it fast" HAHAHA! I can't do anything quickly on skates!

looplover
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM

Aw...happy anniversary! I need to meet a guy like that! :mrgreen:

(so far I've only had married dads hit on me during public sessions...um no thank you)

kander
04-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Aw...happy anniversary! I need to meet a guy like that! :mrgreen:

(so far I've only had married dads hit on me during public sessions...um no thank you)

It's funny you mention that because I orginally got back into skating for the excersize and to meet women. I wanted to do ice dancing but had so much fun with freestyle I never got around to it :lol: Unfortuneately the majority of women on ice are also married. It's rare I meet somebody in my age bracket who is single.

jazzpants
04-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Awwww!!! Happy anniverary!

And for the record, the only time my DH shows up to watch me skate was if he is filming me. Otherwise, the rink is just not his cup of tea. (The couch is his cup of tea! :roll: :lol: ). And techskater's suggestion to leave DH home while I go to AN is overall a good idea. I really don't to risk cramping his style (nor w/him, mine.)

But he is at least showing some interest now in my skating now. :)

altamaleskater
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm nowhere near competition standard and being a guy wearing figure skates trying out figure skating moves in public sessions havn't yet earned me any strange looks or comments that I'm aware of and would have no problems with any friends or family watching me :)

I seem to be missing the part of my brain that co-ordinates embarrasment or shyness :lol:

Not sure how new you are to the sport but it sounds like you are quite new. I have only been doing this for 3 years (and I'm 37!). When I started I used to get funny looks from some people at one of the rinks where I practiced (it was in a huge mall). However, I stopped using that rink for reasons unrelated to that, and most of the people I skate with now are adults anyways. I have skated with the little ones and it is no easy task, it's like trying to dodge bullets from a machine gun!

I am very leery of having family/friends watch me even though they are largely supportive of my skating. My parents are itching to watch me but I am too self-conscious to let them right now even though I have been competing since 2006. I also have certain co-workers (and former co-workers) who are teasing me about it; most though have said how much they admired that I started the sport at age 34. It was rather embarassing last year though when a certain co-worker (who had been pestering me for competition photos taken at Canadian Adult Nationals) grabbed my photos out of my hand & began showing to all my co-workers. I remember going red as a beet & chasing after her. A lot of people told me though that they couldn't compete like I did.

You are lucky right now that you don't get the nerves yet. My own experience was that I feared nothing during practice but when I competed or skated in a show as I did last year, the nerves took hold & I blew at least 2 competitions because of that. My show skate was a little easier, it was for a fundraiser with an audience mostly of other competitiors. This year I still had the nerves but they didn't take hold on the ice the way they did the previous 2 years. So the more competing/testing you do, the better it will become.