View Full Version : Artistic Int. vs. Dramatic Ent.

stacyf419
04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I am considering a comp in Maryland in June and there is one event for 'Artistic or Interpretive Skating' and one event for 'Dramatic Entertainment'. Reading the descriptions, I am having a hard time figuring out the difference between the 2 - not sure which one I should enter!! Is there a concrete difference between the 2 events? I appreciate your help.

Stacy

flo
04-15-2008, 03:53 PM
What are the descriptions? What event?

Debbie S
04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Is this the Chesapeake Open? Baltimore FSC (host club) is my home club, and I volunteer for the comp, so feel free to ask me any questions about it. :)

As for the artistic events, b/c it's a "kid" comp, they don't exactly follow the adult comp Interp rules. I'll ask about this, but I am quite certain that Dramatic Entertainment is a Showcase-type of category, meaning props are allowed and the judging emphasis is on how you use your props to create a mood/tell a story/entertain the audience. In Adult Interp comps, props (at least, the kind you drag out on to the ice - chairs,etc) are not allowed, but in kid comps in the Showcase category, they are.

Artistic is for more 'traditional' (for lack of a better word) programs. If you're skating a bouncy, fun (or serious) program with a traditional skating costume to a standard top 40 song with lyrics (for example), then that's your category.

What is your program music and concept?

I will probably enter Pre-Bronze/Bronze CM and Spins at this comp. Hope to see you there!

stacyf419
04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Debbie - the Chesapeake open is indeed the competition I was referring to and you cleared that question right up! I'm considering entering for pre-bronze freestyle, compulsory moves and possibly the artistic. My program definitely fits that category, much more so than dramatic entertainment.

I will let you know for sure if I decide to enter - I am in NJ but my aunt-in-law lives in Baltimore and we could combine a visit and skating for a long weekend. Looks like fun!

Thanks again...

flo
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
When is it? What rink?

Found it - $100 entry for a local event????????

stacyf419
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Sorry i didn't answer your original question Flo - btw, that's for the IJS events - non-IJS are $80, so still pricy.

Clarice
04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Found it - $100 entry for a local event????????

That's pretty common where I live. In the case of my club, it's because of the ice cost and the fact that we have to import most of our judges, so there are a lot of travel expenses.

flo
04-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I guess I was thinking of the last Chesapeake Open I entered, which was a few years ago.

Debbie S
04-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I guess I was thinking of the last Chesapeake Open I entered, which was a few years ago.I've entered Chessie the past 2 years and $80 for the first event (non-IJS) has been the rate each of those years. That seems to be the standard - I think Peach, HC, and NYI are in that range as well (maybe $75?) for the first (or only) event fee. I believe May Day is also charging $80 (non-IJS) this year, too.

For anyone interested in competing in the Chesapeake Open (at a brand-new rink in Reisterstown, MD, in northwest Baltimore County, that just opened in February), here is a link to the app: http://www.baltimorefigureskatingclub.com/chesapeakeopen/2008ChesapeakeOpen_Application.pdf

They added a lot of events this year, including adult CM events (they previously just had them for the kids), Spins, and several artistic/interp categories (as discussed above), plus Test Track events (for the kids). Oh, and team events too. Actually, they basically used the Skate Wilmington event structure, so if you've competed there, a lot of the events will look familiar.

mdvask8r
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Do you know if it is definitely being held at Reistertown? I heard from a usually reliable source that it had to be moved to the Gardens in Laurel again this year . . .

Debbie S
04-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I heard from a usually reliable source that it had to be moved to the Gardens in Laurel again this year . . .I have heard that rumor, too (who's your source, maybe it's the same person - lol) but have not heard anything official from the club board. Tonight is our end of season party (actually the club ice season ended 4 weeks ago but the party and free skating time is tonight - usually it's the last night of club) so I imagine any announcement will be made then. I'll post tomorrow what I know.

Debbie S
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
OK, here's the info:

The Chesapeake Open will be held at The Gardens in Laurel (about 30-40 minutes from the Baltimore area, depending on your location - Stacy, if you want to PM me your relative's location, I can probably estimate the drive time).

The reason for the location change is that, apparently, the Reisterstown rink's management co (in Virginia) sold most of the ice time that weekend to a hockey camp, back in October before the rink even opened. They never told the on-site management so the on-site people went ahead and sold the club the requested ice time. The conflict was discovered recently (I'm not sure exactly when) so the competition had to be moved. Basically, a case of major miscommunication.

The club is confident that next year, it won't be a problem to have the comp at Reisterstown, b/c they'll be able to reserve the ice far in advance. There is also the possibility that Mt. Pleasant (Balt FSC's home rink and the previous site of Chessie) may stay open year-round after this year. It depends on the City budget, and whether certain improvements can be done, etc.

But for this year, Chessie will be in Laurel. It was there last year, and everything went smoothly. The facility is nice, with extra rinks for practice ice, and lots of parking and bleachers in the comp rink.